Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,658 members, 7,809,494 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:34 AM

Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy (25199 Views)

The Harsh Things Your Wife Has Ever Told You. / Older Nigerian Mothers On What They Would Do Differently As New Mothers / A Thread To Celebrate Our Mothers On Mother's Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by podium(m): 4:03pm On Oct 02, 2021
My People, I Strolled Enter Market Today, water leaf were Dem bin dey give as Jara I but it as 100 naira. Make una see 350 naira water leaf...

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by ahnie: 4:27pm On Oct 02, 2021
podium:
My People, I Strolled Enter Market Today, water leaf were Dem bin dey give as Jara I but it as 100 naira. Make una see 350 naira water leaf...
Them full for bush nau...Lolz!
I learnt a bag of sachet water now goes for #200.
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Danjikanbauchi: 4:27pm On Oct 02, 2021
fogechi:

Lol....I guess she meant avoid longer throat
she mean avoid competition with your neighbor, you most not do things because your neighbor did. Your income level may not be the same.

1 Like

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by category(m): 4:31pm On Oct 02, 2021
1) If you have any fallow lands near you, try to plant vegetables.

2) Replace the flowers in your compound with edible vegetables and fruits eg plantains plants and bananas.

3) if possible, do some domestic animal husbandry (chicken rearing, snail rearing, fish pond etc)

4) Rent a two bedroom flat instead of a three bedroom flat if you are somewhat comfortable with that.

Take life jeje my people.

5 Likes

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by topiiiiiiii(f): 4:32pm On Oct 02, 2021
topiiiiiiii:
the only important thing here is steady and reliable source income, what is the joy of coming to this world without eating well nd living well. Make God bless our hustle
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by justking(m): 4:33pm On Oct 02, 2021
No. 5 is funny.
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by OFAIKGROUPS(m): 4:37pm On Oct 02, 2021
ahnie:

Na 300 naira for my side oo
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by wink2015(m): 4:38pm On Oct 02, 2021
finnacle2020:
With each passing day the cost of items in the market are going up and many mothers are finding it difficult to buy items from the market. Here are some few tips to assist mothers :

1. Have a budget and list of items needed in the house
2. Buy items in bulk like buying beans, rice and tomato that will last 3-6months.
3. Look for alternatives to expensive items like buying potato instead of yam, Napkin instead of pampers
4. look for other sources of income
5. Stop looking at your neighbors food

please nairalanders you can add your own

Set up a garden and plant vegetables and other crops like Tomatoes, Pepper, Scent Leaves, Cassava, Coco yam, Yam, Plantain, Okro, etc

This will help to reduce the amount of money being spent to buy food item.

1 Like

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by ahnie: 4:39pm On Oct 02, 2021
OFAIKGROUPS:

Na 300 naira for my side oo
Just imagine!sachet water should be boycotted.which side you de stay?

1 Like

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by MummyD2020(f): 5:00pm On Oct 02, 2021
fogechi:
But seriously that Napkin own good.....a set of 10 napkins are okay to raise a child for 2years, imagine buying pampers for 2years..omo na die

But who will be washing the napkin.

Walai, that thing dey tire person oh. But when u look at the cost of Pampers, u may want to consider it. Shit na shit finally. Yuk!!
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Bfss: 5:12pm On Oct 02, 2021
Ok
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Itzmeandu: 5:18pm On Oct 02, 2021
It's people Greddiness that's causing things to rise.
For instance, an imported mobile phone can 40k today, after few years it will reduce to 35k.
But, a woman will just harvest a crop in her backyard and top the price.
Nawaooo
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by angelfallz(m): 5:24pm On Oct 02, 2021
Nice tips

bukatyne:

2: Buying in bulk is only cheaper for someone who has cashflow.

If a family makes daily/weekly income, they obviously would not be able to buy in bulk.

3: in addition to substituting food, also substitute brands; a pack of ziplock is about N2,700; there are locally sold brandless ziplock for 400 per dozen which does same job.

Morning Fresh is also cheaper than Mama Lemon; what I hated in MF before is now the selling point: the tiny dispenser.

Sunlight detergent vs Ariel etc.

Also learn to be very resourceful: cooking spray is same as rubbing your pan with olive oil or ororo;

Learn where to source for things at a cheaper rate.
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Ligxy(f): 5:27pm On Oct 02, 2021
Elsueno:
Married people dey try woh....Any married person fro dis Buhari era has got my maximum respect....omoh...fud is extremely expensive...

I don slowly downgrade from bottled water almost all d time to pure water grin
1 bag of pure water has increased to 250 naira here o.

1 Like

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Ligxy(f): 5:29pm On Oct 02, 2021
Oju4190:
.... Don't compete with Ur neighbour.....If Ur neighbour slaughter chicken for Christmas....he nor mean say u must do same....check Ur pocket, fish nor bad
Fish cost pass chicken these days.

1 Like

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Oju4190: 5:33pm On Oct 02, 2021
Ligxy:

Fish cost pass chicken these days.
Really
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by podium(m): 5:36pm On Oct 02, 2021
ahnie:

Lol... The woman were I buy am from say na 15k a bag she buy am... Some of 5 to 7k before before
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by dallyemmy: 5:38pm On Oct 02, 2021
grin grin grin
Nothingserious:

Hahaha!

No be only 2 years. Na 50 years e go last nah!
Abeg give us your address, let’s add to the number of visitors for you.

Seriously my wife likes to iron everything for house including handkerchiefs, singlets , stockings and underwears. And she washes our children clothes frequently even if they just splash water on themselves and remove it or ride bike. She said that was how her mum trained her. Me I grew up in the village. She grew up in the town. I will just be watching our meter regularly as her ironing and washing machine drains the power.

She no dey hear word ooo. Said her children cannot behave like me when I was small. Lol

She also adds plenty food for visitors. Most times they don’t finish it.

Me and her will keep having the discussion until she agrees. Of course I can’t just change someone’s daughter to think like me. If not na so so fight for house everyday.
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by ibtommy(m): 5:44pm On Oct 02, 2021
chii8:
Cut down on provision......
Check their school oooo,if the fee is too much,go for a cheaper one.it is same scheme, everywhere.

Modified:stop unnecessary recharge of digital TV,use free to air.At all times, women should try to stop any unnecessary nagging of their husbands,road dey red!!! Keep your kids away from children whose parents gives unnecessary/expensive snacks, always explain to them that the economy is not soft at all, you will be surprised that they will understand.

Pls, teach me the free-to-air thing o. Thanks.
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by AvalonSpace(m): 5:46pm On Oct 02, 2021
ahnie:
I ve started re-training my two kids...no more eateries,done with fast food life .i cannot be buying food of #1700 per person from eateries when I can use #500 to cook delicious concoction red oil rice!

Ensure you drink lots of water before feeding make your Belle quick full.

And when the food finishes...thank your Jesus and movvvve,make I no hear...Mummy please I need another one,na knocks I go just press for their heads.

I got a crate of eggs yesterday and told them this crate of eggs must last us like 2yrs grin grin grin.

I just bought a carton of besties noodles,I told them no matter what this innocent carton of noodle must last us solid 8 years before we finish eating it. grin grin.how I cook it is not your business,yours is just to eat.

I have also sent memos to our respective families...no more visitation again,learn to sit your butts in your houses.if you must come bring enough foodstuffs and you mustn't stay more than two days grin grin. And be kind enough not to waste my toothpaste....last I checked oral B toothpaste don pass #500.

When you want to bathe...abeg use half bucket of water,don't forget to come with your sponge and soaps.

Times are hard mehn.
This one harsh o
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by AvalonSpace(m): 5:48pm On Oct 02, 2021
Theta1:
That number 2 will not work because of power failure except you will add petrol and generator expenses to your list.
Na beans and rice you want make store for fridge?
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Ligxy(f): 5:55pm On Oct 02, 2021
Babastrong:
6. Eat twice a day. Have your breakfast ealier, eat fruit or drink pap in the afternoon, and combine your lunch and super @7pm.
Fruit keh, you know how much be apple now? Abi a bunch of banana that is 400 for 6 tiny pieces
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Ligxy(f): 5:59pm On Oct 02, 2021
Even the alternatives are very expensive. Now I buy cowbell filled milk and mix with peak full cream milk so it can last for longer. And that is just for baby. Hubby and I sabi chop bread and stew, drink water on top, we no need tea.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Asour: 6:01pm On Oct 02, 2021
chii8:
Cut down on provision......
Check their school oooo,if the fee is too much,go for a cheaper one.it is same scheme, everywhere.

Modified:stop unnecessary recharge of digital TV,use free to air.At all times, women should try to stop any unnecessary nagging of their husbands,road dey red!!! Keep your kids away from children whose parents gives unnecessary/expensive snacks, always explain to them that the economy is not soft at all, you will be surprised that they will understand.

Nice.

Although even if Education is the same scheme everywhere, the execution is NOT.

I've come to realize that quality education(not necessarily expensive by the way) at the foundation levels is a huge advantage. Depending on a child's natural aptitude, if the foundation is weak, they'll suffer the effects possibly forever. Even 'expensive' schools are getting a lot wrong at the foundation.

My solution?

While you opt for the 'cheap' school, take more interest in the child learning progress from creche to 10 yrs to complement the 'cheap' school work.

Online resources are now available.
E.g.
Curriculum pathways.
Studypug.
Saylor academy.

Etc.
*Studypug is a paid service but it's worth it.
Invest in a PC for their learning and get a MIFI service strictly for learning.

Be involved to assess their progress.
If you're able to get them (children) self motivated and confident at learning at 10 yrs, you already have a head start.

Cheers.
God help us.

5 Likes

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by rottenPussy: 6:11pm On Oct 02, 2021
finnacle2020:
With each passing day the cost of items in the market are going up and many mothers are finding it difficult to buy items from the market. Here are some few tips to assist mothers :

2. Buy items in bulk like buying beans, rice and tomato that will last 3-6months.
3. Look for alternatives to expensive items like buying potato instead of yam, Napkin instead of pampers

At the bolded, truly, comparison is the death of joy.
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by chii8(f): 6:13pm On Oct 02, 2021
ibtommy:

Pls, teach me the free-to-air thing o. Thanks.

grin grin grin ;
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Babastrong(m): 6:20pm On Oct 02, 2021
[quote author=Ligxy post=106380213]
Fruit keh, you know how much be apple now? Abi a bunch of banana that is 400 for 6 tiny pieces[ I said fruit or pap (optional statement), besides not all nairalands come from city. Here fruits are accessible @cheaper price]
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by MummyD2020(f): 6:24pm On Oct 02, 2021
fogechi:
But seriously that Napkin own good.....a set of 10 napkins are okay to raise a child for 2years, imagine buying pampers for 2years..omo na die

But who will be washing the napkin.

I remember when i was contemplating on whether
to giving birth to one more kid. Someone actually advised that i added two more. I no even know wetin I wan tell d person
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by Nicerazor(m): 6:40pm On Oct 02, 2021
Make una de respect married men o.
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by shantti(m): 7:15pm On Oct 02, 2021
murmee:
I hope you are not referring to Irish potato in No. 3 because that is even much more expensive than yams!

Potatoe is very cheap compared to yam only that it doesn't last long like yam

1 Like

Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by aalangel(f): 7:22pm On Oct 02, 2021
finnacle2020:

Napkin instead of pampers Nooooooooo...
Re: Tips For Mothers On How To Survive This Harsh Nigerian Economy by shantti(m): 8:02pm On Oct 02, 2021
podium:

Is this one caused by government too? This is simply greed by the seller

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Uncle Wife Is Insensitive / As I'm Enduring This, Am I Really Making My Children Better? / How Embarrassing Can It Get During The 9months Course(pregnancy).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.