Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,995 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:24 AM

Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? (31587 Views)

Apples Grow In Nigeria (Unseen Opportunities In Apple Farming) / 8 Fruits You Didn't Know Grow In Nigeria / Vanilla Chocolate Plant Can Grow In Nigeria: $67/kilo, Local Price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by deltaboyo1: 5:23am On Oct 03, 2021
Enudapan:
Nah eh! No qualms
This is so unsophisticated

I don't think so
Cos apples are the most
Expensive fruit here in Nigeria
One apple goes as high as 500 naira,
Most times I dey wonder how does apple juice sellers buy there apples and sell those juice at cheaper rate
Don't say what you don't know about

1 Like

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by funshint(m): 5:26am On Oct 03, 2021
inoki247:
All of you shouting yes in Jos why dem no dey sell am in bulk nd carry am come oda part of the country...

At least Soursop nd Sweetsop no b wetin common for Nigeria buh people are still planting it nd e dey grow...

Why to come see apple tree nd the fruit in abundant come hard laik say u dey find crude oil...
Stop being ignoreant, apples grow very well in Jos.

10 Likes

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by RedEnergy: 5:32am On Oct 03, 2021
Apple grows in Jos due to its unique cold environment. Seen it before. They have an apple farm at National institute of Agriculture something something, can't remember the full name, in Jos. But not in enough mass commercial quantity because I think that was part of the institute's research project of trying to find ways to make that possible.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by inoki247: 5:33am On Oct 03, 2021
funshint:

And he still cost everywhere e no go don cheap laik Onions if e dey easy laik dat..

7 Likes

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Perfectbeing(m): 5:45am On Oct 03, 2021
Omicron007:
Fellow Nairalanders,

I bought one small sized apple the other day for Two Hundred Naira.
After consuming the fruit, I began to reminisce on how I have planted apple seeds as a young kid and watered them every time. Sadly, none of the seeds I planted was able to germinate.

Growing up, I once heard that Apples cannot grow in Nigeria because the land is not fertile enough.

So, does apple really grow in this country?
Have you seen an apple tree?
soil fertility does not mean all plans will grow there. Apple needs a cold place to grow eg Jos. Rice need a swampy place to grow.

8 Likes

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by funshint(m): 5:50am On Oct 03, 2021
inoki247:

And he still cost everywhere e no go don cheap laik Onions if e dey easy laik dat..
Because nobody has really made effort to grow it in large commercial quantity. And also the security situation of the state is not encouraging too.

11 Likes

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Originalsly: 5:56am On Oct 03, 2021
Omicron007:

I have planted apple seeds as a young kid and watered them every time. Sadly, none of the seeds I planted was able to germinate.

It didn't germinate because most likely the apple is genetically modified. If the fruit is not organic or natural...NON GMO .. it will not germinate anywhere on earth. Try the seed of any fruit from like Shop Rite ... it wouldn't germinate.

@ topic ... a guy opened a thread here some time ago about his apple garden.

5 Likes

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by INCREDIBLE007(m): 5:56am On Oct 03, 2021
Omicron007:
Fellow Nairalanders,

After consuming the fruit, I began to reminisce on how I have planted apple seeds as a young kid and watered them every time. Sadly, none of the seeds I planted was able to germinate.

Growing up, I once heard that Apples cannot grow in Nigeria because the land is not fertile enough.

it can grow anywhere
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by rottenPussy: 6:00am On Oct 03, 2021
Enudapan:
Nah eh! No qualms

I don't think so
Cos apples are the most
Most times I dey wonder how does apple juice sellers buy there apples and sell those juice at cheaper rate
Apple most expensive?
You ever heard tried Kiwi?!

6 Likes

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by lomprico(m): 6:07am On Oct 03, 2021
Omicron007:
Fellow Nairalanders,

In Jos plateau state

1 Like

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by malcom1X: 6:10am On Oct 03, 2021
So no one could answer this question till now.

Op apple grows everywhere in Nigeria.

One guy was able to create an apple were you have to graft the seedlings with another root to make the apple grow in Africa. His name is wambugu, they named the apple that can grow in Africa after him.

I have a friend in Ogun state who is planting apples and making a living out of it.

21 Likes

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Limassol(m): 6:14am On Oct 03, 2021
Chelsea350:
Apple grows in Jos. Very sweet red Apple. Though I have not seen the green one. The climate of Jos favours it's growth cos it's a high plateau climate. Outside Apple, Jos climate also favours the growth of other exotic crops like strawberry, Purple garden egg, Red Potatoes, lentils,and lots more...
You mean strawberries grows in Jos? Kai! I swear if this is true that place is blessed.

6 Likes

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Limassol(m): 6:15am On Oct 03, 2021
popweezy:
It's grows
Baba na for where be this?
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Emmhychidi(m): 6:16am On Oct 03, 2021
It's not the soil, it's the environment, apple tends to grow in a much colder environment as a seed first, the environment should be very cold before it starts germinating.

5 Likes

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by illicit(m): 6:16am On Oct 03, 2021
This is what happens

The apple that's been sold here were actually harvested prematurely so that they won't rot while being packaged and shipped.

It's the same way we harvest unripe oranges and mangoes here for export. It only ripens when they put some chemical on the way.

So when u buy an apple here and plant the seed, it won't germinate because the seed is actually premature.

If u get a matured apple seed, it will germinate. It may not bud easily tho because of environmental factors but it will surely germinate.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by tamdun: 6:18am On Oct 03, 2021
Enudapan:
Nah eh! No qualms

I don't think so
Cos apples are the most
That is not apple juice, na poison

2 Likes

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by vRendoh(m): 6:30am On Oct 03, 2021
It grows in nigeria. But the seeds of the ones imported will not germinate. Except you specifically buys the seeds . Only the yield is very low Except in high altitude cold part of nigeria.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by shadrach77: 6:31am On Oct 03, 2021
malcom1X:
So no one could answer this question till now.

Op apple grows everywhere in Nigeria.

One guy was able to create an apple were you have to graft the seedlings with another root to make the apple grow in Africa. His name is wambugu, they named the apple that can grow in Africa after him.

I have a friend in Ogun state who is planting apples and making a living out of it.
Don't mind them. They kept shouting "Jos" yet those who are saying Jos cannot mention the specific place where there apples are being grown or those who claim to know the place are unsure if it still exists.

Your answer sounds more like it

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by fineboynl(m): 6:31am On Oct 03, 2021
Apple can be grown in Nigeria but with Artificial climate. If it were to be the white man they would have finde something about it by growing Apple with artificial means. But remember we are black and black man doesn't think.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Le2money(m): 6:35am On Oct 03, 2021
Cox it has been diluted grin grin grin

Enudapan:
Nah eh! No qualms

I don't think so
Cos apples are the most

1 Like

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by lanocfoods: 6:38am On Oct 03, 2021
Enudapan:
Nah eh! No qualms

I don't think so
Cos apples are the most
They use the flavor, those are cheaper

1 Like

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Lordsblessing(m): 6:38am On Oct 03, 2021
Enudapan:
Nah eh! No qualms

I don't think so
Cos apples are the most

If you're chanced to travel to SA, You'll realize apple is just a cheap regular fruit like orange in Nigeria

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by ObiaboAdoka(m): 6:39am On Oct 03, 2021
TarOrfeeek:

Yes.

Grows in Jos.

But I believe it's not the same species as SA or Europe.
And some part of kaduna state. I av seen apple doing well in sambawa farm in Igabi LGA. Thanks.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Itzhola: 6:39am On Oct 03, 2021
Omicron007:
Fellow Nairalanders,

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by victorazy(m): 6:39am On Oct 03, 2021
Omicron007:
Fellow Nairalanders,

Yes!
Jos Plateau state.
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Itzhola: 6:39am On Oct 03, 2021
Omicron007:
Fellow Nairalanders,

Growing up, I once heard that Apples cannot grow in Nigeria because the land is not fertile

enough.

Heard it doesn’t grow in 9ja
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by BigDawsNet: 6:40am On Oct 03, 2021
Probably in the north but I think the taste is different from the one sold here in northern American
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by cooooooks(m): 6:43am On Oct 03, 2021
The juice is made from concentrate.

Those who grow apples save a lot of the fruits as concentrate and sell same around the world for juice and other uses (applesauce, jams, etc, flavouring).

Enudapan:
Nah eh! No qualms

I don't think so
Cos apples are the most

3 Likes

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by bewla(m): 6:47am On Oct 03, 2021
GIANTPLUSHUB:
Yes. There used to be a thread of a guy growing it in Nigeria. Though, for his own consumption though. Can't find the thread anymore.
yes a guy even open trend to teach people how to grow it I think his from delta

2 Likes

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Odidigboigbo(m): 6:49am On Oct 03, 2021
funshint:

If it grows very well in Jos as you said, why are they not farming it in large quantities, knowing fully well is a very lucrative fruits? I have been in Jos, I have never seen an Apple farm, if you have seen, post it hear. One or two trees surviving doesn't mean it grows very well.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:50am On Oct 03, 2021
yes but in all states. It is only Jos I know. Make some money to buy more apples https://share.referralheaven.com/Dapipson
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by dgitrader(m): 6:57am On Oct 03, 2021
Odidigboigbo:
If it grows very well in Jos as you said, why are they not farming it in large quantities, knowing fully well is a very lucrative fruits? I have been in Jos, I have never seen an Apple farm, if you have seen, post it hear. One or two trees surviving doesn't mean it grows very well.

Don't mind all the sentiments above. No farm has ever produce a full box of apples in Jos, not even the Israeli assisted astc at its prime. Yet some are claiming it grows in Jos. If a produce can't be in commercial quantity or basic quality, why make noise about it?
OP, commercial apple � can't be produced in Jos, simple

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nasir Yammama: The Founder Of Verdant: The Farmer's Mobile Companion / Rice Farmers Harvesting Rice In Their Farm / Ogbomoso Plantain Farm Estate:Your Fastlane To Making Millions And Wealth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.