Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,636 members, 7,813,100 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:01 AM

Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? (31589 Views)

Apples Grow In Nigeria (Unseen Opportunities In Apple Farming) / 8 Fruits You Didn't Know Grow In Nigeria / Vanilla Chocolate Plant Can Grow In Nigeria: $67/kilo, Local Price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by KUNTA007: 7:47am On Oct 03, 2021
dgitrader:

Don't mind all the sentiments above. No farm has ever produce a full box of apples in Jos, not even the Israeli assisted astc at its prime. Yet some are claiming it grows in Jos. If a produce can't be in commercial quantity or basic quality, why make noise about it?
OP, commercial apple � can't be produced in Jos, simple

Bro grow up and don’t say what you don’t know. I have been there in that agricultural farm. You can eat as much as you want but you can’t take out. It’s all fenced. Let’s try testify to only things we know. When I was a kid me and my friends go there to steal apples. We were once even arrested for stealing lots of apples there. That was then they told us if we want to eat let’s eat but not take out

1 Like

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by sinkhole: 7:50am On Oct 03, 2021
RedEnergy:
Apple grows in Jos due to its unique cold environment. Seen it before. They have an apple farm at National institute of Agriculture something something, can't remember the full name, in Jos. But not in enough mass commercial quantity because I think that was part of the institute's research project of trying to find ways to make that possible.
at the bolded, what of Mambila Plateau?
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by bymigokeph: 7:51am On Oct 03, 2021
Haven't you heard, "Apple �� does not fall far from it's tree".
Back to the topic.
Apple � grows in Nigeria. In Degema, DELGA, Rivers State, apple grows. There are a lot of apple trees owned in people's backyards. However, like typical Nigerians they haven't seen the commercial importance of want they own at their backyard.

2 Likes

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by seunfape(m): 7:53am On Oct 03, 2021
Not possible, apple seed selects soil, it flourishes in Egypt and some medetarian vicinity.
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Horlufemi(m): 8:00am On Oct 03, 2021
Enudapan:
Nah eh! No qualms
This is so unsophisticated

I don't think so
Cos apples are the most
Expensive fruit here in Nigeria
One apple goes as high as 500 naira,
Most times I dey wonder how does apple juice sellers buy there apples and sell those juice at cheaper rate

Location?
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Limassol(m): 8:04am On Oct 03, 2021
KUNTA007:

Yes but specially planted but for blue berries they grow in Jos randomly in the hills we call them LEMUN SUNSU. Meaning orange for birds. We go to the hills and get them for free
You guys are damn lucky... Do you still live there?

1 Like

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Limassol(m): 8:11am On Oct 03, 2021
Cybertext:

Strawberries grow very well in the plateau and some few parts of kaduna... It's easier to grow strawberries now in commercial farming unlike it's apple counterpart. Apple farming is very complicated, one wrong move and you loose the seeds...
They both (strawberries and apple) will thrive on temperate regions like Plateau and Mambilla,.. but who will have the patience to grow apple that might not yield well?
I reckon with goverment aid in the form of subsidies and grants and loans, Plateau state and Benue have the potential to feed the whole country - almost everything grows there from potato,yam,whole grains, different fruits and veggies. What do you think.
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Igwetech: 8:16am On Oct 03, 2021
Check Jos plateau State. They grew �
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Igwetech: 8:16am On Oct 03, 2021
Check Jos plateau State. They grew apples�
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by bluebay(m): 8:18am On Oct 03, 2021
Apple grows in Delta State. I remember 3 years ago I went to visit my Fiancée at her parents place in Ughelli actually. We decided to stroll around and I remembered her telling me one time that a man grows apple in his compound . I insisted then she should take me there to see it. I followed her there and it was real. The Apple tree was in front of me and the fence was what demarcated us.. was so surprised but the man sha is wicked o. Has lots of dogs in the compound and allows no one to go near the tree.

3 Likes

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by NairaMaster1(m): 8:26am On Oct 03, 2021
Omicron007:
Fellow Nairalanders,

I bought one small sized apple the other day for Two Hundred Naira.
After consuming the fruit, I began to reminisce on how I have planted apple seeds as a young kid and watered them every time. Sadly, none of the seeds I planted was able to germinate.

Growing up, I once heard that Apples cannot grow in Nigeria because the land is not fertile enough.

So, does apple really grow in this country?
Have you seen an apple tree?

Grows in Gembu, Taraba state.
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by chival(f): 8:27am On Oct 03, 2021
Shokoloko:

Try this, but I suggest fridge rather than refrigerator
Fridge and refrigerator are the same thing. Did you mean to write freezer?
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by KUNTA007: 8:28am On Oct 03, 2021
Limassol:
You guys are damn lucky... Do you still live there?

Don’t live there at the moment but was born and brought up there. When we where kids we enjoyed lots of fruits for free. From apple, cashew, strawberries, grapes, tanjarin sorry got the spelling wrong but in the orange family. Go to NVRI K-Vom Jos you will see lots of free fruits
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Dagger111(m): 8:29am On Oct 03, 2021
malcom1X:
So no one could answer this question till now.

Op apple grows everywhere in Nigeria.

One guy was able to create an apple were you have to graft the seedlings with another root to make the apple grow in Africa. His name is wambugu, they named the apple that can grow in Africa after him.

Yes, Florence Muringi Wambugu by name (born 23 August 1953) is a Kenyan plant pathologist and virologist. She is known for her advocacy of using biotechnology to increase food production in Africa.

She attended the University of Nairobi, Kenya, where she received her Bachelor of Science in botany and zoology. She obtained her Master of Science in botanical pathology from North Dakota State University, United States in 1984; and her PhD from the University of Bath, England in 1991.

She was also awarded an Honorary Degree (Doctor of Science) from the University of Bath in 2009.

Wambugu is the founder, director and the chief executive officer of Africa Harvest Biotech Foundation International (AHBFI) since 1994. AHBFI is a nonprofit foundation with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Johannesburg, South Africa, and Washington, D.C. Previously, she founded, established and worked as Africa Region Director, ISAAA – Afri-center, in Nairobi. From 1978 to 1991, she worked as a senior research officer (pathologist) and coordinator of plant biotechnology research at the Kenya Agricultural Research Institute (KARI), Kenya. Thereafter (1991–1994), she was a post-doctoral fellow with Monsanto Company.

She has made significant contributions to the research, development and improvement of maize, pyrethrum, banana, sweet potato and forestry production in Kenya. She has published over 100 articles and co-authored various papers.

Previously, she served on several board of directors including the Private Sector Committee of the CGIAR, the United Nations Millennium Development goals Hunger task force; she also was a member of the Executive Committee of Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA); the DuPont Company Biotech Advisory Panel, USA; the International Plant Genetic Resources Institute (IPGRI, now called Bioversity International), and the African Biotechnology Stakeholders Forum (ABSF). Currently, she is serving as a Council Member of the Japan Science and Technology in Society (STS) Forum [ja]; a steering committee member of the European Action on Global Life Sciences (EAGLES); and a Science Board member of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation Grand Challenge in Global Health.

Thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Limassol(m): 8:32am On Oct 03, 2021
KUNTA007:

Don’t live there at the moment but was born and brought up there. When we where kids we enjoyed lots of fruits for free. From apple, cashew, strawberries, grapes, tanjarin sorry got the spelling wrong but in the orange family. Go to NVRI K-Vom Jos you will see lots of free fruits
My brother person wey get money no dey find awoof, i you go to station market in Kaduna,many of these fruits could be found there. Wetin spoil jos na crisis.

1 Like

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Dagger111(m): 8:33am On Oct 03, 2021
fineboynl:
Apple can be grown in Nigeria but with Artificial climate. If it where to be the white man they would have fine something about it by growing Apple with artificial means. But remember we are block and block man doesn't think.

No be only block, na cement.

1 Like

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by deavicky(m): 8:43am On Oct 03, 2021
Enudapan:
Nah eh! No qualms

I don't think so
Cos apples are the most
Most times I dey wonder how does apple juice sellers buy there apples and sell those juice at cheaper rate
and till now, you don't know that all package juice are synthetic chemicals.
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by pyro62(m): 8:45am On Oct 03, 2021
Rascist fruit. That's why I chew it hard when I eat it grin
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by KUNTA007: 8:57am On Oct 03, 2021
Limassol:
My brother person wey get money no dey find awoof, i you go to station market in Kaduna,many of these fruits could be found there. Wetin spoil jos na crisis.

True talk but we where not using it for business as it’s was my neighborhood I had access to them. Well just saying Jos has good weather to grow lots of fruits if it’s going to be for business.
If you are close to someone in jos you will know where and where to go to that is safe
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by warlordd(m): 9:02am On Oct 03, 2021
Apple cannot do well in the tropics. It only grows in Jos because of its mediterrenean climate.
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by blaze83(m): 9:13am On Oct 03, 2021
Enudapan:
Nah eh! No qualms

I don't think so
Cos apples are the most

Most fruit juices are not usually made from their natural fruits, talk more of Apples juice with how expensive Apples are and the fact they don't grow here.

What they use in making apples juice you drink are apple concentrates, like the apple flavour you buy in the market, they are not made from real natural apples.

This is one reason people are advised against buying and taking fruit juices, better to buy the fruit and make your juice at home naturally.

1 Like

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by WaffenSS(m): 9:22am On Oct 03, 2021
Enudapan:
Nah eh! No qualms

I don't think so
Cos apples are the most

Canned or packaged juice is hardly made from fruits. They either use concentrates or chemicals.

Juices made from real fruits especially by fruit sellers are quite expensive. I got a 75cl bottle of pure apple juice for N1,900 from a roadside grocer, and it's not cold pressed juice even, which is far more expensive.

2 Likes

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by adeboizy11(m): 9:27am On Oct 03, 2021
Yes in gembu, saudarna LGA of Taraba state, after Gashaka LGA home to the biggest national park in Nigeria
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by mazizitonene(m): 9:34am On Oct 03, 2021
UndauntedYOCA:
Yes, it grows in Jos but I'd like to believe it can also be grown in Taraba because it's an extremely cold region.
exactly....my brother served in taraba and said they grow apples and other rare fruits In Gembu, Taraba state.
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by redsun(m): 9:35am On Oct 03, 2021
seunfape:
Not possible, apple seed selects soil, it flourishes in Egypt and some medetarian vicinity.

It's not soil, I would think is the weather. If we had brains in the head, we probably will be able to mimic temperate conditions by creating refrigerated greenhouses that can enable varieties of apple trees to flourish.

We don't think, so ideas like that are still far fetched, even though oyinbos have been manipulating plants, trees and animals for centuries
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Oloniyan(m): 9:39am On Oct 03, 2021
airsaylongcome:

You mean these? Been a while I saw them last. Like a long long while.

And oh, they are called eggplant or aubergines. Thought to mention

I have this grown in my backyard
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Newton2024: 9:48am On Oct 03, 2021
Enudapan:
Nah eh! No qualms

I don't think so
Cos apples are the most
Apple juice are not made of apple but are made of apple flavour. Apple flavour is a chemical that is produced in the laboratory. It smells and taste like real apple.

1 Like

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Hier(m): 9:52am On Oct 03, 2021
Shokoloko:

Try this, but I suggest fridge rather than refrigerator

grin grin grin, bros, scam everywhere grin grin
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Hier(m): 9:57am On Oct 03, 2021
popweezy:
It's grows
which state was the picture taken
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Hier(m): 9:59am On Oct 03, 2021
pyro62:
Rascist fruit. That's why I chew it hard when I eat it grin

grin grin grin
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Princeadebayo11(m): 10:24am On Oct 03, 2021
Enudapan:
Nah eh! No qualms

I don't think so
Cos apples are the most
That apple flavor na chemical no be real Apple
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by naturefellow(m): 10:35am On Oct 03, 2021
As a matter of fact apple grows in Nigeria, and special fruits like strawberry and likes.

It's not about soil fertility, but climate. These plants, including Irish potato, lettuce and green tea, require a temperate climate to thrive, which can only be found on our highlands in Obudu, Jos and Mambilla Plateaux.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Hi There! Contact Us For Your Agricultural Processing Machines. / Nasir Yammama: The Founder Of Verdant: The Farmer's Mobile Companion / Ogbomoso Plantain Farm Estate:Your Fastlane To Making Millions And Wealth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.