Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,640 members, 7,813,129 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:33 AM

Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? - Agriculture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? (31590 Views)

Apples Grow In Nigeria (Unseen Opportunities In Apple Farming) / 8 Fruits You Didn't Know Grow In Nigeria / Vanilla Chocolate Plant Can Grow In Nigeria: $67/kilo, Local Price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by marv1: 4:42pm On Oct 03, 2021
Yes apple can now grow in Nigeria . The Specie is a high breed and withing 2 years it begins to fruit. I can send you pictures

Omicron007:
Fellow Nairalanders,

I bought one small sized apple the other day for Two Hundred Naira.
After consuming the fruit, I began to reminisce on how I have planted apple seeds as a young kid and watered them every time. Sadly, none of the seeds I planted was able to germinate.

Growing up, I once heard that Apples cannot grow in Nigeria because the land is not fertile enough.

So, does apple really grow in this country?
Have you seen an apple tree?
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Gudiza(m): 5:13pm On Oct 03, 2021
RedEnergy:
Plateau State is the coldest, has highest ground elevation.
Mambila is the highest actually, close to cameroon mountains.
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by SoulRescuer(m): 5:51pm On Oct 03, 2021
I bought an � apple tree 2005 or so from Jos Plateau State, to One Man Village, close to Marraba(border town to Abuja) tended It for 5yrs.i.e watering the plant very very well, at times bathing d whole tree with hose. After 5yrs d tree started producing fruits. But birds never allowed d fruits to grow to big size. Some of d fruits grew To d size of a walnut. D tree died exactly 2010 or 11; due to some situations that befell me that year. It is possible to grow apple in Nigeria. (I am new here..... first post). I do enjoy some of your positive post. Bro. Righteousness 89, I am With you Sir.

1 Like

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by joinnow: 6:54pm On Oct 03, 2021
So you have not see apple tree in mabilla gembu
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by DozieSixtus: 6:59pm On Oct 03, 2021
One of our neighbors used to have an apple tree back in the village. Though the apples are the red type and not the green ones. I don't know about the green apples.

I'm from imo state by the way.
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Spencerchiboy(m): 7:04pm On Oct 03, 2021
kus4fame:

It's ok.
Lemme come and be going to plant apple in my deep freezer.
Hoping to reap bountifully by next season from my dear apple tree planted in the coldest part of the refrigerator.
"An adroit approach".

Hahaha, at least think like an adult!
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by wonyi: 7:30pm On Oct 03, 2021
bejick:

yes my dad planted one ling time ago, but the apple it produces are funny looking something like guava shape.

How about the taste?
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Gfskw: 7:50pm On Oct 03, 2021
Yes
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by NASTYNASOSO: 7:54pm On Oct 03, 2021
Omicron007:
Fellow Nairalanders,

I bought one small sized apple the other day for Two Hundred Naira.
After consuming the fruit, I began to reminisce on how I have planted apple seeds as a young kid and watered them every time. Sadly, none of the seeds I planted was able to germinate.

Growing up, I once heard that Apples cannot grow in Nigeria because the land is not fertile enough.

So, does apple really grow in this country?
Have you seen an apple tree?

YES IT DOES
I HAVE PLANTS IN KANO AND JOS
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by dgitrader(m): 7:55pm On Oct 03, 2021
KUNTA007:

Bro grow up and don’t say what you don’t know. I have been there in that agricultural farm. You can eat as much as you want but you can’t take out. It’s all fenced. Let’s try testify to only things we know. When I was a kid me and my friends go there to steal apples. We were once even arrested for stealing lots of apples there. That was then they told us if we want to eat let’s eat but not take out
While I was doing agro-business with astc, you were just a petty thief, and now you want to tell me about commercial apples? I get it.
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by KUNTA007: 8:13pm On Oct 03, 2021
dgitrader:

While I was doing agro-business with astc, you were just a petty thief, and now you want to tell me about commercial apples? I get it.

Whatever just say things you know that’s all. I see your maturity now. No hard feelings my message was clear.

It’s the rain that made house pigeon and chicken shares same shelter. I don’t know you and you don’t know me. If you feel offended sorry.

2 Likes

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by baloney: 8:18pm On Oct 03, 2021
Pls, endeavors to go & ask your village chief or head,they all know everything that is breathing or even not around them...
shocked cool shocked
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Stbillion(m): 8:51pm On Oct 03, 2021
I can germinate Apple seed here in NIGERIA, currently it is in nursery stage.
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Spencerchiboy(m): 9:41pm On Oct 03, 2021
kus4fame:

It's ok.
Lemme come and be going to plant apple in my deep freezer.
Hoping to reap bountifully by next season from my dear apple tree planted in the coldest part of the refrigerator.
"An adroit approach".

dumb a** nigga!!! it seems you don't know the difference between "temperature" and "climate"
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Spencerchiboy(m): 9:44pm On Oct 03, 2021
KUNTA007:

Whatever just say things you know that’s all. I see your maturity now. No hard feelings my message was clear.

It’s the rain that made house pigeon and chicken shares same shelter. I don’t know you and you don’t know me. If you feel offended sorry.
Poor grammatical construction! Nigga, i didn't get to realize what you were tryin' to say.
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Cybertext(m): 2:39pm On Oct 04, 2021
Odidigboigbo:
Your reasons are not attainable.
It's capital intensive, how?
It takes more time more time before the trees start yielding fruits? Is that an excuse? All commercial trees take a reasonable time to produce. Trees like palm, cocoa, Orange, rubber, kola nut, etc. These trees, take years before they start producing, yet we grow it here because they can be produce in commercial quantities in our climate. The truth remains that Apple cannot "survive well" in Jos.

I said it's capital intensive because it actually is, the only tree I saw was the red apple and it didn't come out very well to me...but I know with proper approach it could have.

Let me give you a hint...most farmers in the plateau are not used to farming commercial products like cocoa or palm unlike in the south... They grow what they can harvest in few months.

Some few years ago strawberry was not realistic to be cultivated in Nigeria but now it grows on almost every farm in the plateau.

Also, Apples takes like 8 to 10 years before yeilding fruits, if you think a local plateau farmer will wait that long to farm a fruit with very low demands then you must be dreaming.
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Cybertext(m): 4:21pm On Oct 04, 2021
Limassol:
I reckon with goverment aid in the form of subsidies and grants and loans, Plateau state and Benue have the potential to feed the whole country - almost everything grows there from potato,yam,whole grains, different fruits and veggies. What do you think.

Very true... Plateau and Benue has what it takes, that's if government can fully invest in it. There is a Dutch company in Jos and kaduna currently producing commercialized potatoe and exporting it to there country in large scale.

Imagine what our government can do if they invest in agriculture.
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Stbillion(m): 11:26pm On Oct 06, 2021
illicit:
This is what happens

The apple that's been sold here were actually harvested prematurely so that they won't rot while being packaged and shipped.

It's the same way we harvest unripe oranges and mangoes here for export. It only ripens when they put some chemical on the way.

So when u buy an apple here and plant the seed, it won't germinate because the seed is actually premature.

If u get a matured apple seed, it will germinate. It may not bud easily tho because of environmental factors but it will surely germinate.
Bro you are 100% wrong, all the apples sold here are all matured. The proccess of germinating apple seed is very though, it can take up to 45 day before one seed sprout. I personally have germintate it here in nigeria and my nursery are sold from 10 to 15k per stand. I can even teach you how to do it your self.
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Rawlingsko: 9:18am On Oct 08, 2021
SirLakes:

I dey wait your pictures nah
You still never see the pictures since or your data don finish?
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by princenomics: 6:37pm On Oct 12, 2021
Yes Apple can grow. These are two out of my 15 Apple trees in Benin, Edo state. They're 8 months old

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by princenomics: 6:45pm On Oct 12, 2021
Plant 2

Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by bejick(m): 12:54pm On Oct 17, 2021
wonyi:

How about the taste?

like I said everything about the apple is funny, the side the looks the taste is the worse.
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by Snitch24(m): 9:23pm On Nov 02, 2021
Enudapan:
Nah eh! No qualms
This is so unsophisticated

I don't think so
Cos apples are the most
Expensive fruit here in Nigeria
One apple goes as high as 500 naira,
Most times I dey wonder how does apple juice sellers buy there apples and sell those juice at cheaper rate

Flavoured bro
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by aceonline: 1:03pm On Apr 13, 2022
Well Explained. Thanks for sharing the post. Enroll for IES Online Coaching and become a member of PSU
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by SonyaSpence: 10:05pm On Sep 04, 2022
Hello macron.. I saw your email, what do you want to discuss?
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by SonyaSpence: 10:05pm On Sep 04, 2022
Hello macron.. I saw your email, what do you want to discuss? Kíndly reply here as this is a stale thread.
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by macron: 7:38am On Sep 05, 2022
SonyaSpence:
Hello macron.. I saw your email, what do you want to discuss? Kíndly reply here as this is a stale thread.
Hello, I wanted to ask if you have any information on the stakeholders list
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by SonyaSpence: 12:50pm On Sep 05, 2022
macron:
Hello, I wanted to ask if you have any information on the stakeholders list

Not at all bro
Re: Does Apple Grow In Nigeria? by macron: 2:34pm On Sep 05, 2022
SonyaSpence:

Not at all bro
Thank you. If you hear anything please reach out

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nasir Yammama: The Founder Of Verdant: The Farmer's Mobile Companion / Rice Farmers Harvesting Rice In Their Farm / Ogbomoso Plantain Farm Estate:Your Fastlane To Making Millions And Wealth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.