Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,515 members, 7,819,858 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:48 AM

I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time (36175 Views)

My Experience Traveling By Air For The First Time (update) / I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do / I Am Traveling From Asaba To Onitsha Today, This Is How Prepared I Am (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time by Candycrushy(f): 11:12am On Oct 03, 2021
snapdragon00:
Hello nairalanders, so i will be traveling by air from Abujaj to Lagos next week. I'm having some kind of feelings, any tips for first time fliers ? Like do's and Don't s.
I will sha travel by air one day
So help me God
Re: I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time by Renegadefrank(m): 11:13am On Oct 03, 2021
Since it's your first, the jitters will be there. Just calm down and go through the motions till you're on board.

Try doing something that relaxes you. It could be talking with someone on the same flight, listening to music, reading a book or novel, to mention but a few.

All the best.
Re: I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time by Legendaryd(m): 11:14am On Oct 03, 2021
snapdragon00:
Hello nairalanders, so i will be traveling by air from Abujaj to Lagos next week. I'm having some kind of feelings, any tips for first time fliers ? Like do's and Don't s.
Nothing really just that you'll probably feel some kinda pain in your ears due to change in air pressure
Re: I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time by EndBuhariNow(m): 11:18am On Oct 03, 2021
What If I tell you.. there will be plane crash
Re: I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time by Fortune118005(m): 11:20am On Oct 03, 2021
yesloaded:

Nothing much about it

I guess you are flying economy

When you enter the aircraft, your right side will be ABC & left side DEF

Locate your appropriate seat number, sit down and use your belt

Switch off or turn your phone to flight mode please

The crew will tells you some safety measure with demonstration

Nothing much about travelling via air but it's very awesome experience cos no traffic or stress unlike road transport

What will happen if your phone is on
Can you browse with your phone in the plane while on board?

1 Like

Re: I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time by Nobody: 11:28am On Oct 03, 2021
pweetychyka:

So that’s what you do? undecided undecided undecided undecided

grin it's an advice na, haba. Someone can't advice anyone in peace again sad
Re: I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time by GodisFirst: 11:30am On Oct 03, 2021
snapdragon00:

It is not a big deal.
The most important are. Take with you a means of identification like ID card, National ID or international passport.
Ensure you eat or take some snacks and water as cost of thing at the airport are expensive.
Arrive at the airport early enough, as a new person to airport protocols, get there at least 3 to 4 hours before the flight departure time so that you have time to correct any mistakes. Especially in a busy airport where you have long queues.
Sometimes you are held on the road by traffic at the airport entrance, so factor all into your plan.

Luggage weight.
Make sure your check-in luggage is not above 20kg or you pay for excess luggage which used to be #500 per kg for any extra kg. For instance if your luggage weight is 30kg which is extra 10kg, then be ready to part with #5000 for the excess. If it is more, you pay more. It will be better to travel light having only things that are so essential or important to your travel, things you know you need and you can't buy when you get to your final destination.

Your carry on luggage or hand luggage should be less than 6kg. Put extra from this carry on luggage into the Check-in luggage.

If you have anything that is a sharp object like, scissors, hair clipper, knife, put them in your check-in luggage not in your carry on because they will confiscate it or ask you to go back and check it in if you are lucky to have the time.

Liquids in bottles, explosives, magnets, etc. Are not allowed.

At Arrival,
just walk in and pass your luggage through the scanner, collect them from behind the scanner, don't forget any of your items as you are alone no one takes care of your things for your there. Also don't take care of any other person's item as you may not know the content which might implicate you if it is a prohibited item like explosive.
When you pick your luggage proceed to your Airline's Check-in counter. You will see other airlines, so go to the airline you have their ticket.

They will put your luggage on the weighing scale to determine the weight. Then they will tag them and check them in. Collect your boarding pass with a copy of the luggage tag sticked behind the boarding pass.
Now you are left with the hand carry luggage or carry on luggage. You have to proceed to check-in yourself and your hand luggage into the Waiting lounge.

In the waiting lounge keep your ears open to know when your own flight is boarding. The airline will announce boarding of other flights but you will know if it is your flight by the Flight number on your ticket and boarding pass. The flight number and flight time can be changed but must be announced.

I believe with these, you are good to go. It will get better with time as you get more experience. -

10 Likes

Re: I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time by SonofGod231: 11:35am On Oct 03, 2021
pweetychyka:

E pass 35mins baba…. Abeg leave them to enlighten the person who asked! So the op and many others who are shy to ask will learn
Abeg abeg ma hear word... People dey spend 15hrs for air na Abuja to Lagos wey no reach 35mins.
If you don't know,know now... Before now like in the 90s...Abuja to Lagos was exactly 30mins.
It is today's FAAN that regulated it to be a bit longer and planes now travel at a slower altitude. Either ways,that's not the point...Before you blink your eyes for abuja you dey Lagos airport. Patapata,Highest 1hr even if na go slow.
Re: I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time by Olisehinnocent: 11:40am On Oct 03, 2021
Make the thing no go and clash. Is better to enter motor all of us dey enter cheesy cheesy Before u enter that plane will ur gf to me grin grin grin
Re: I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time by Pineapplelove: 11:42am On Oct 03, 2021
Safe journey
Re: I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time by Elidrisy20: 11:43am On Oct 03, 2021
Don't carry drugs with you cool
Re: I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time by Maximar: 11:49am On Oct 03, 2021
SonofGod231:

Abeg abeg ma hear word... People dey spend 15hrs for air na Abuja to Lagos wey no reach 35mins.

Lol.
Abuja to Lagos is more than 35 minutes. It's about an hour 10 mins to 1hr 25mins.
Akure to Lagos sef is more than 35 minutes (40-45mins).

Op, if you do feel what they call motion sickness whenever you use an elevator, prepare your mind for that, most especially just after take-off. You may want to keep your head steady and not look around till the plane is up in the air, to avoid dizziness or headache.
Re: I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time by SonofGod231: 11:52am On Oct 03, 2021
[quote author=Maximar post=106399807]

Lol.
Re: I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time by SonofGod231: 11:53am On Oct 03, 2021
Maximar:

Lol.
Abuja to Lagos is more than 35 minutes. It's about an hour 10 mins to 1hr 25mins.
Akure to Lagos sef is more than 35 minutes (40-45mins)
Oga sabinos,
It is today's FAAN that regulated it to be a bit longer and planes now travel at a slower altitude. Either ways,that's not the point...Before you blink your eyes for abuja you dey Lagos airport. Patapata,Highest 1hr even if na go slow.
I don travel abuja to Lagos many times back then and now so I know first hand by experience.
No be dem say.Ask or take correction.
Re: I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time by TheVictorious(m): 11:55am On Oct 03, 2021
ddeola:
Just be yourself no qualms and by God's grace, you will be travelling by air all over the world in Jesus name. wink wink wink

AMEN!!!
Re: I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time by kelvinjay90(m): 11:56am On Oct 03, 2021
ezeomoba:
when u get to ore… dont forget to buy banana

Lol

1 Like

Re: I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time by Maximar: 12:01pm On Oct 03, 2021
SonofGod231:

Oga sabinos,
It is today's FAAN that regulated it to be a bit longer and planes now travel at a slower attitude. Either ways,that's not the point...Before you blink your eyes for abuja you dey Lagos airport. Patapata,Highest 1hr even if na go slow.
I don travel abuja to Lagos many times back then and now so I know first hand by experience.
No be dem say.Ask or take correction.

Who no know say e dey faster before?. We are talking of the present, you are talking of the past, but we don sight you

1 Like

Re: I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time by SonofGod231: 12:06pm On Oct 03, 2021
Maximar:

Who no know say e dey faster before?. We are talking of the present, you are talking of the past, but we don sight you
Yeah,Take Note.
Re: I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time by yesloaded: 12:16pm On Oct 03, 2021
Fortune118005:

What will happen if your phone is on
Can you browse with your phone in the plane while on board?

No

You can't

Infact the crew will instruct you to switch off your phone before take off although I normally switch to airplane mode

1 Like

Re: I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time by yesloaded: 12:20pm On Oct 03, 2021
Candycrushy:

[bI will sha travel by air one day[/b]
So help me God

Amen grin
Re: I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time by Nobody: 12:22pm On Oct 03, 2021
If you like,go to airport to be forming Yankee arriver and be snapping pics like bush person.

Na still zoo you dey.
Re: I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time by hayzed1090: 12:25pm On Oct 03, 2021
neurosci:

My question is, why do you see it as a victory? I avoid flights at every slightest opportunity. I'm sure my background is not any better that his, or yours, but flying on a plane has never been something I craved nor enjoyed, even before my first experience. It's just another means of transportation, and I wonder why it could be considered a victory. A month ago, I went on a 12-hr trip by bus, something I could do by plane for 1 hr, 30 mins, but I simply wanted to avoid flights. So, why do you consider it a victory, whether for him or for anyone else?

It's just a personal choice to you, not that you can't afford it. It's a victory to anyone that loves to have the experience and able to pay for it.

And for goodness sake, this is Nigeria with less than 30k for minimum wage . Been able to pay for flight is something one should be grateful for.
Re: I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time by StreetPreacher: 12:26pm On Oct 03, 2021
snapdragon00:

I had my first flight 2 Sundays ago. There's nothing to worry about. I had fears when it felt as if the plane was descending mid air but then, you have a map to check the altitude. I got fears when making slight bends too. It was a bit turbulent at some points so we experienced some bumps but in all, it's a nice experience I look forward to. You'll enjoy the meals served also. Enjoy your flight.
In addition, the flight crew would put you through. In Qatar airways, there's a guide on how to fasten your seat belt and all. The airline you are flying with might have same
Re: I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time by kcowen(m): 12:35pm On Oct 03, 2021
First thing you do is to go to the airline checking counter,present your reference Number (PNR) and a means of identification i.e Driving licence, Passport, School identification card,NIN or Company's ID.
If you have any bags to check in,you are entitle to 20kg as your check in luggage and also 6kg as your carry on and make sure your carry on luggage does not have any Dangerous Goods on it(DG) like perfumes and some toiletries which contains some chemical that can react when the plane gets to a certain attitude if your luggage exceed the required baggage weight (20KG)you will pay for the excess(Some airlines charge N500 and some N600 per KG).
When that's concluded proceed to the boarding gate to board your flight,when you get inside locate your seat number,turn your phone to airplane mood when the captain is about to taxi to the runway and also fasten your seat belt. Relax and enjoy your flight
NB- Make sure you arrive 1hr before your flight

2 Likes

Re: I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time by FLYFIRE(m): 12:50pm On Oct 03, 2021
Please don't bother to ask those girls parading with water, when your ears blocks, swallow some spit, safe journeygrin grin grin

1 Like

Re: I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time by MrDoGood(m): 12:51pm On Oct 03, 2021
ecolime:
It comes with both excitement and anxiety.

Scariest part for some is take-off while landing is usually fun.

I'm a frequent flyer yet still have phobia for flying. Wish I have a reasonable alternative cry

Just be calm and enjoy the experience.

N.B Don't be shy to ask Airline staff questions if you need help.

Always wear headphones and increase the volume of music during takeoff and landing. This is my secret. Discovered it last year and I've been flying since 2007. I so much hate height and I hate using elevators. You can call me a village boy grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time by Passionnn: 1:02pm On Oct 03, 2021
Commentor:

Respect people's little victories.

Our backgrounds are so diverse we must appreciate the battles of others.
Thank you.
Words Of Wisdom (WOW!)

3 Likes

Re: I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time by berrystunn(m): 1:04pm On Oct 03, 2021
snapdragon00:

Joining the flight
Follow people anything they do you do ..

You will not die by air ..
Any sound you hear is normal..
I love the grand speed.. before take off.

1 Like

Re: I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time by Rescuetheperish: 1:05pm On Oct 03, 2021
Please someone should please give a chronological details of how the process runs for the rest of us that are warming up to travel by air for the first time soonest. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time by Pritipresh(f): 1:19pm On Oct 03, 2021
[quote author=SonofGod231 smiley
Re: I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time by lookingfly: 1:28pm On Oct 03, 2021
ecolime:
It comes with both excitement and anxiety.

Scariest part for some is take-off while landing is usually fun.

I'm a frequent flyer yet still have phobia for flying. Wish I have a reasonable alternative cry

Just be calm and enjoy the experience.

N.B Don't be shy to ask Airline staff questions if you need help.
yep.....am not scared of the immediate take off but when the plane shuttles hard into the sky to reach some level in the sky. At that interval shuttling, one gets that feeling as if one is falling off, same feeling when the elevator is coming down, as if one's intestines want to fall off grin grin......after that enjoy your flight till touch down.
Re: I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time by lookingfly: 1:36pm On Oct 03, 2021
Rescuetheperish:
Please someone should please give a chronological details of how the process runs for the rest of us that are warming up to travel by air for the first time soonest. Thanks
nothing to fret about.
1. Book your flight online via the various airline portals/websites.
2. Go to the airport atleast an hour before take off, get cleared by the clearing agents of the different airlines.
3. Wait at the departure lounge designated to the different airlines.
4. Board the appropriate flight, settle down on your seat and affix the seat belt.
5.enjoy your flight as there is nothing to worry about.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities / Ex BBC Boss, David Hayward, Writes About His Experience In Nigeria (Igbo land) / List Of Lagos Roads & Bridges Under Okada & Tricycle Restrictions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.