Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,421 members, 7,954,662 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 05:53 AM

Can Someone Please Sue Fg For Blocking Phone Services In Abuja? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Someone Please Sue Fg For Blocking Phone Services In Abuja? (3897 Views)

$3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG / Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments / How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Someone Please Sue Fg For Blocking Phone Services In Abuja? by cvibe: 4:53pm On May 30, 2011
@ Poster,

How many times have you sued the Telecoms companies for "network failure" even when the transmitters were not switched off?
Re: Can Someone Please Sue Fg For Blocking Phone Services In Abuja? by Beaf: 4:56pm On May 30, 2011
oyb:

the usual incoherent gibberish from the chief gej apologist

please tell us if a planned inauguration is the same thing as a sudden unexpected terrorist attack

does this mean that gong forward, we should expect phone blackouts whenever gej is anywhere in nigeria?

should we be surprised that you always trumpet the SS behaving in ways synonymous with the gaddafi you were lambasting the other day?

keep it up. your fingers will soon fall off from typing inanities to defend the incompetence of fresh air

Jealousy + bad bele = otapiapia!
LOLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!
Re: Can Someone Please Sue Fg For Blocking Phone Services In Abuja? by Ekpoma1: 5:02pm On May 30, 2011
As someone has rightly stated, as long as it centred around security matters, no problem. Op, so informing d resident of Abuja before hand would have given those faceless group to look for another alternatives. Those faceless people are also resident of Abuja. Kudos FG.
Re: Can Someone Please Sue Fg For Blocking Phone Services In Abuja? by real4life: 5:05pm On May 30, 2011
cvibe:

@ Poster,

How many times have you sued the Telecoms companies for "network failure" even when the transmitters were not switched off?

We should be doing that too.
Re: Can Someone Please Sue Fg For Blocking Phone Services In Abuja? by Kobojunkie: 5:07pm On May 30, 2011
Ekpoma1:

As someone has rightly stated, as long as it centred around security matters, no problem. Op, so informing d resident of Abuja before hand would have given those faceless group to look for another alternatives. Those faceless people are also resident of Abuja. Kudos FG.

No, it is a problem. Technically, people can successfully sue the FG for what happened yesterday.
Re: Can Someone Please Sue Fg For Blocking Phone Services In Abuja? by real4life: 5:23pm On May 30, 2011
Beaf:

@OP

If you have money to waste, go and sue. It will be an exersice in futility and you might end up (rightfully so too) under SSS spotlight.
I was at London Bridge when the bombs went off in the tube, we were ushered out of the station without the slightest apology or reason and the station closed immediately. [size=14pt]Once outside, phones did not work[/size]. And it was so for the better part of one day (again, without apology or reason), when services did come back, they were patchy and more useless than anything available in Nigeria right up until the next day. My family heard about the blasts, but could not get in touch with me to know if I was caught up in them.
. . .The long and short is, not one person sued govt. It is hard to even imagine a British person doing that, such a person would become public enemy number one and need police protection, cos people will think they are Al Qaeda apologists.

Some Nigerians come up with their funny positions either out of the need to show off or out of an inate wickedness. Govt shut down phone services to save lives, if you think that action was wrong or lives are expendable just so your phone works, then sue the govt, its your right (albeit one too foolish to contemplate).

You don't know what you are talking about or your money comes too easy.

And they were right not to sue their government because on a good day the average british citizen is well taken care of (in fact pampered) by the government. Security is extremely good, there is no power failure. They have good roads, clean water, in fact the list is endless. But more importantly, the government listens to the citizens. Most of the time they do the right thing even before the citizens have a chance to cry out. Abi na lie?

What happened on that day was an aberration, and you may be kind enough to tell us the concrete measures the government has taken since then to protect the citizens from future occurrences.

Compare that to what we have in Nigeria. Of course I dare not take my case to the nigerian government masters because I stand no chance. They dont even have to raise their voices when they have ordinary servants who will protect them from any criticisms. If I had the strength and resources, I will be fighting people like you before I can even dream of facing your boss and his gang.

I repeat my questions for your kind response. Who was really being protected by blocking the phone services yesterday? is abuja the most vulnerable area in nigeria at the moment? what of borno and bauchi states? what did government do to protect the citizens living there? what steps are being taken to protect ordinary nigerians from today till the next big gathering of abuja politicians? why cant i question the government that claims to represent me without fear of backlash?

So many more questions Beaf but i doubt you will answer any.
Re: Can Someone Please Sue Fg For Blocking Phone Services In Abuja? by oladayo042: 5:39pm On May 30, 2011
Ekpoma1:

If this should be a reason for not giving a forewarning, maybe you should explain why there has been no apology from the FG. Abi apology wan trigger another attack?
Re: Can Someone Please Sue Fg For Blocking Phone Services In Abuja? by oladayo042: 5:47pm On May 30, 2011
cvibe:

@ Poster,

Remember the fine prints "Terms and Conditions Apply". Anyway, telecoms companies do apologize for network failures some couple of times
Re: Can Someone Please Sue Fg For Blocking Phone Services In Abuja? by Nobody: 6:58pm On May 30, 2011
real4life:

HaHaHa. Seriously this made me laugh because it illustrates exactly what I am talking about.

Following your logic, then please start begging the FG to ban driving on federal roads because the roads are in a terrible state so that nobodies mother or father will die again. Please get on your knees and beg FG to close all their banks so that armed robbers will not kill any innocent Nigerian again. And don't forget to prostrate and beg the FG to switch off power from the national grid so that olosis ^^ like you will not hug transformer and die.

Seriously I think all Nigerians should be forced back to school to study Rights of Citizens 101, and Duties of FG 111. For a simple personal experience, I (and hundreds of other tenants) once got paid equivalent of about 200,000 Naira because the government (not nigerian) was building a library (for public good) close to residences. The money came with a letter of apology and asked us to please accept the little compensation for the noise pollution that we were suffering.
u must be related to buhari, sorry.
Re: Can Someone Please Sue Fg For Blocking Phone Services In Abuja? by sademola: 7:05pm On May 30, 2011
visaphone sent warning message a day before and I just heard an apology from MTN on radio. If this government is for the people and their yesterday's action is for the good of the people and not selfishness then I deserve apology for not been forewarned. GEJ and FG apologists should take the message to them!
Re: Can Someone Please Sue Fg For Blocking Phone Services In Abuja? by Gbenge77(m): 9:37pm On May 30, 2011
oyb:

gross irresponsibility by the GEJ administration

people could have literally died during the inauguration

case in point - a friends mother passed away yesterday in lagos , unexpectedly, and only her last born son was at home.

imagine if that had been in abuja; no one would have been able to contact anyone else

a person in an accident,  a person in an emergency; the common nigerians as usual suffering because of the incompetence of this administration and the eediots who should have been sacked a hundred times over in its employ - the likes of ringim and our "i cant work in the rain"sss

let the usual apologists keep justifying this behavior which is reminiscent of the abacha years and the deposed arab leaders who shut down the internet in the name of 'national security'

how soon before newspapers become a threat to national security?

bunch of good for nothings and their tacit admission of incompetence

i guess the closest GEJ will ever come to filling obamas shoes is wearing a tuxedo

maybe those twats who defended the expensive inauguration with obama comparisons will tell us if Washington's telecoms were shut down during obamas inauguration

Another "first" by GEJ.
Re: Can Someone Please Sue Fg For Blocking Phone Services In Abuja? by hamsky: 11:31pm On May 30, 2011
They probably used a high range mobile phone signal jammer to distort the signal as a security strategy against the so call bombers. As a mater of fact I think it is very plausible for someone to sue the Federal Government for not alerting everyone beforehand, but U need a lot of balls!!!
Re: Can Someone Please Sue Fg For Blocking Phone Services In Abuja? by NCH: 8:22am On May 31, 2011
Nigeria has no Freedom of Information law, virtually everything the government does is deemed to be secret.
Recently, the legislature of Nigeria passed a Freedom of Information law that, while far from perfect - is
nevertheless a huge step in the right direction and will bring some much needed transparency to Nigeria.
The President has not yet signed the bill into law. The point of this Op is simple:

"Mr. President, sign that bill NOW !!"

This will be a joint Operation with the Peoples Liberation Front, Naija Cyber Hactivists and Anonymous.

NOW ITS YOUR TIME TO STAND UP & FIGHT

OPERATION BLACK FAX THE PRESIDENCY: http://www.peoplesliberationfront.org/campaigns.html #Anonymous #PLF #NCH.

SPREAD THE WORD!

FIRE YOUR LAZERS
Re: Can Someone Please Sue Fg For Blocking Phone Services In Abuja? by NCH: 8:50am On May 31, 2011
Remember that no matter how oppressive your government is, your people are much much stronger as a whole.

"Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppresser; it must be demanded by the oppressed." Martin Luther King Jr.
Re: Can Someone Please Sue Fg For Blocking Phone Services In Abuja? by dustydee: 9:01am On May 31, 2011
The blackout was totally unnecessary. It just shows that our security agencies are not up to the task. There are various devices for blocking RF frequencies and am sure if the police do not have it NCC should have it.
Re: Can Someone Please Sue Fg For Blocking Phone Services In Abuja? by markiris: 9:13am On May 31, 2011
are you a foreigner? why wount you sue fg?
Re: Can Someone Please Sue Fg For Blocking Phone Services In Abuja? by real4life: 10:39am On May 31, 2011
markiris:

are you a foreigner? why wount you sue fg?

I am a Nigerian, but I prefer someone better qualified. Like an experienced lawyer with financial backup and who lives in Nigeria.

We need a landmark case to kickstart this "fight for your right" movement. The FOI bill, if passed, will also help a lot.
Re: Can Someone Please Sue Fg For Blocking Phone Services In Abuja? by no1suspekt: 12:20pm On May 31, 2011
With the recent spate of violence that has been taking place in our country, it is understandable why the FG would see the need to jam cell phone signals in the FCT as a security precaution in light of the presidential inauguration ceremony. That notwithstanding, I did and still do not see the necessity to have it done so throughout the ENTIRE city and the ENTIRE day.

I awoke to find that my MTN service was unavailable and after realizing the same fate befell my cousin who has 3 phones (Glo, MTN and Visaphone), I immediately deduced what was going on. Certain cell phone towers within a general radius of the Parade ground and other sensitive locations could have been jammed, hence allowing calls from say, Asokoro to Lagos be made. There also should have been a window (say 7am to 3pm) when the jamming occurred. However, many of us residents in the FCT were left incommunicado with the outside world for the whole of Sunday. In this day and age and in a country such as Nigeria, where landlines are basically non-existent, that is unacceptable.

I can, however, understand why the FG did not forewarn us as it might have given plotters a chance to alter their tactics (although the use of a cellphone is not the the only way to detonate explosive devices). Some people thought the announcement should have been made on the news the preceding night. undecided While many may argue that it may be the only way they knew how to prevent possible bomb attacks, which are notoriously set off in such a simple mannerl, I and I'm sure others, task the FG to do better.

My prayers go out to brethren and family of, who lost their lives and were injured in Bauchi.

Stop the Violence.
Re: Can Someone Please Sue Fg For Blocking Phone Services In Abuja? by Gemma11: 2:07pm On May 31, 2011
I remember all the mobile phone services being shut down in the UK on July 7th 2005 when the tube bombs happened. Sometimes it is a necessity in order to save lives and most cases it has to happen immediately so no warnings.
Re: Can Someone Please Sue Fg For Blocking Phone Services In Abuja? by rhymeup(m): 2:09pm On May 31, 2011
I find it hard to believe that in this day and age, people would be so quick to shout down anyone who asks for what is rightfully his from the government.

At the end of the day, a people deserve the government they get. I still recall that leading up to the elections, power supply magically became stable, and now, I can COMFORTABLY hug a transformer cos its deader than a doornail.

The Poster asked a question and its sad that i see people jumping out of the woodworks to actually castigate him for daring to even think about it.

My people when would we wake up; the world has left us behind in technological advancements. Whether right or wrong,the government is responsible to the people.
Re: Can Someone Please Sue Fg For Blocking Phone Services In Abuja? by hakanai(m): 2:20pm On May 31, 2011
It is horrible what the government is doing.The last i checked they said a jamming technology has being introduced to the eagle square which prevents remote devices from being detonated.How come they didn't employ same and limit it to possible areas of interest than shut down the entire state because of an event in a restricted area less than one tenth the FCT.
They also claim that it is meant to keep such attacks from happening.then they should have denied the entire nation.As it didn't stop Bauchi and near by Zuba!
Our security apparatus are so un-intelligent.You could shut/jam some areas that make good targets and allow others enjoy services. which happens to be there right.Rather than put what is happening at eagle square before everyone else.
We abuse power alot in Nigeria.This is similar to the Abacha era where he closed a hotel along his route just to avoid sniper.I mean FG doesn't care so long as the president is okay.
This has to stop there are options that were not clearly exhausted before such denial of service.
We keep fooling ourselves.Even independence day bombing didn't kill any important person.Same as this one.All were the innocent poor Nigeria.Who should have security like the rest of them in power.Today all hits have ended with fatality largely at doors of the weak.Why not jam signals at mammy? as it was targeted before.Extend such to the likes of markets and parks ,based on Intel and past experience.You should know target areas.Have you notice that even the choice targets must share something in common that makes them appealing to the bombers. where the psychic of someone spoiling for trouble may hit. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
So rather than do there homework they would prefer to shut down the entire state,while we foolishly just say its security.Like the post.They didn't see the harm or need to manage the situation well since you and i will only take it and keep mute.Its easier to turn the damn whole network off than do proper Intel and assessment of hot spots to protect. cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Our security is as dumb as the boko haram!The so called boko haram can't even transport the bombs safely and our silly security can't even understand that if they were unable to handle it well and transport such then someone is behind with the technology that builds it. Somewhere designing packaging and supply them to only deliver.They should target the guys making the bombs not delivering it.Before a proliferation of the know-how becomes excess and people like that deliver with precision . shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided cry cry cry
Re: Can Someone Please Sue Fg For Blocking Phone Services In Abuja? by dustydee: 2:24pm On May 31, 2011
Gemma11:

I remember all the mobile phone services being shut down in the UK on July 7th 2005 when the tube bombs happened. Sometimes it is a necessity in order to save lives and most cases it has to happen immediately so no warnings.

were people able to communicate when mobile phones were shut down?if yes via what means?is it available in Nigeria? Have you heard about emergency numbers? do we have them in Nigeria? if yes what are the numbers and have you ever tried them? Please lets compare akpu to akpu and not akpu to pounded yam.
Re: Can Someone Please Sue Fg For Blocking Phone Services In Abuja? by Gemma11: 2:43pm On May 31, 2011
dustydee:

were people able to communicate when mobile phones were shut down?if yes via what means?is it available in Nigeria? Have you heard about emergency numbers? do we have them in Nigeria? if yes what are the numbers and have you ever tried them? Please lets compare akpu to akpu and not akpu to pounded yam.

Nobody could communicate via mobile phones for about two hours after the bombs went off. Only landlines were working. Also the tube, which is said to be the veins off London was entirely shut down as were most buses or trains. I walked until my legs nearly felly off that day.
I think if the government has a genuine cause for concern over the safety of its people then they should do all they can to ensure it and if they means shutting down vital networks at key notice then so be it
Re: Can Someone Please Sue Fg For Blocking Phone Services In Abuja? by Koolking(m): 5:12pm On May 31, 2011
Kai! Chei! Most Nigerians are moving backward pretending to be forward. FG's action - phone blackout in Abuja without due apology is unjustifiable. We should stop condoning incompetencies from govt. It is time we realised, we (citizens) are the king makers, the movers of this country not our leaders. We should be treated with respect, afterall they protected themselves at the detriments of Nigerians yearning for a life.

It is unimaginable and uncivilized for a govt to cut an essential service without per-information to the public. It is a smack of irresponsibility. USA being the focal of terrorist threats did not deem fit to black out phone services during Obama's inauguration; becos the govt has the interest of the citizens at heart. They understand the negative consequence of cutting essential services from the public. This act was an indirect massacre of Nigerians.

Pls, let's start thinking like we are heading somewhere.
Re: Can Someone Please Sue Fg For Blocking Phone Services In Abuja? by Tokotaya: 1:33pm On Jun 01, 2011
The terrorists are responsible for taking away all of our rights one by one. Let's pray it does not get worse. There was a time you could travel with ur perfume, small pepper spray for your protection, small scissors for your nails and nostril hair, bottle of water or any other liquid. Post 9/11 all that vanished. There was a time you could travel without expecting someone to grab your crotch or cup your wife's boobs under the excuse of body pat down. Post Abdul Mutalab, that vanished. Security officials at airports with body x-ray machines across the world now treat themselves to the sight of naked bodies of passengers, all because of the bloody terrorists. This is violation of people's right to privacy! Let us pray that these animals calling themseves terrorists are annihilated from our midst. Else, we should have to kiss our right to remain clothed in certain places goodbye sometime soon.
Re: Can Someone Please Sue Fg For Blocking Phone Services In Abuja? by tayoTFC(m): 4:47pm On Jun 01, 2011
sue ur network provider not FG,
Re: Can Someone Please Sue Fg For Blocking Phone Services In Abuja? by jimmysho(m): 8:19pm On Jun 01, 2011
It was not blocked. rather all the gsm services were shut down. did i just read sue. that is d peak of ignorance because u cant sue the govt when issues bothers on national security
Re: Can Someone Please Sue Fg For Blocking Phone Services In Abuja? by Kobojunkie: 9:11pm On Jun 01, 2011
^^^ You people should stop making these things up.

Of course you can sue your government, even when it claims it chose to inconvenience you without warning for "national security". Read your own constitution and laws to know your right for crying out loud!
Re: Can Someone Please Sue Fg For Blocking Phone Services In Abuja? by Ekob(m): 11:36pm On Jun 01, 2011
Sue ke.'sue ne, sue ko.
To me federal govt cuting off phone services witat informin residents for d sake of national security was d best tin to do, cos u ll agree with me that if the residents were alerted about such development, those unscrupulous elements ,animals in human forms dat ave been tryin several attempts nw to distabilize d peace of d nation wuld ve been able to plan ahead, so i dont see anytin wrung wit that rather i gve kudos to all the security agencies dat made d event worthwhile.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Are Militants Declaring Support,N clamoring,For Nnamdi Kanu's release?(pix) / Breaking:Rochas Blocks Osibanjo From Using Dan Anyiam Stadium,"its For Uche Nwos / BREAKING: Ebonyi State Is On Fire Now, many feared dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.