Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,181 members, 7,811,461 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:05 PM

Is Smoking A Sin? - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Smoking A Sin? (27370 Views)

Is SMOKING A SIN / Daddy Freeze: "Smoking A Cigarette Is Unhealthy, It Is Not A Sin" / Pastor Arinze Okoli Mmaduabuchi: "Gay Is Not A Sin” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Average9jaman: 3:43pm On Oct 10, 2021
grin
Too much sense will not kii u grin

LordReed:

The cars we drive everyday are causing harm to us and the people around us as they constantly emit gases that are deleterious to our collective health yet I don't see you condemning them as sin.

The point with all this is to establish to you folk that your sin parameters are just an arbitrary concept you make up as you go for the things you want or don't want, stop fooling yourself that a god has anything to do with it. Nobody is gonna condemn you for stating you don't like smoking. I myself don't like smoking, inhaling the smoke literally makes me sick but I will not condemn someone for making his own choice to smoke, that's his business. I will maintain sufficient distance from such a person while they do it and return to close contact after, it's that simple.

2 Likes

Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Valuc: 3:46pm On Oct 10, 2021
It's cus of the health implications that's why religion tagged it sin.. many things religion tag sin was tagged sin cus of health implications.. like alcohol for instance
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by LordReed(m): 3:48pm On Oct 10, 2021
Valuc:
It's cus of the health implications that's why religion tagged it sin.. many things religion tag sin was tagged sin cus of health implications.. like alcohol for instance

So you agree it's people who are just making it up as they go.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by highoctane: 3:50pm On Oct 10, 2021
OB7Foreva:
I smoke bc it helps me relax pressure too much for this current naija, anybody wey preach to me against smoking don bcm my enemy automatically.. All man with ein own bad habits!!
Let's consider God's view through his word the bible.
Actually there are no where in his word that says do not smoke cigarettes, tobacco or marijuana. The godly principles will lead one to stop drug addicted habits.
Manufactures of Cigarettes, Stated clearly Surgeon in general agreed that smokers are liable to die young. Every humans life comes from God, from him we come to exist Revelation 4:11, life is very expensive, could you imagine, you were given an expensive neck tie, and you decided to polish your shoes with it? Cigarettes has no medicinal value, cigarettes and tobacco smoking are injurious to health, therefore God goes on to say at 1 Corinthians chapter 7:1 "Therefore since we have these promises beloved ones let us cleanse ourselves of every defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God."

The word of God made us to know that your body is the temple of God.
Let's reason, when last did you smoke inside a church? being a building made by hand work of man.?
If you had not once smoked in a church, then your body and a building which one is more precious to God?
Scientific evidence continue to show that smoking kills more people than most wars combined together.
Mostly you will claim you are not a slave to anyone, be aware that smokers are slaves to tobacco and cigarettes.
1: You find out that a smoker will be very hungry, he will opt to smoke than eat.
2: Many smokers can not easily pass bodily waste mostly early in the morning without smoking.
3: Most smokers are cigarettes thieves, you know what I mean, I was there ones.
4: Smokers lacked cognitive reasoning, always irritated.
Basically the reason for one to give up smoking lays on the respect to the giver of life.
Could you imagine Jesus Christ smoking or under the influence of drugs., exhorting people to repent for the kingdom of God is near.
Let it be known that once in history smoking of cigarettes carries death penalty in England.

1 Like

Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by LordReed(m): 3:50pm On Oct 10, 2021
Average9jaman:
grin
Too much sense will not kii u grin

LoL
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Valuc: 3:52pm On Oct 10, 2021
LordReed:

So you agree it's people who are just making it up as they go.
yes na ... I have seen a smoker are 102 years and I have seen a non smoker die at 10years cus of lung or kidney failure .. something mux kill a man
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by baralatie(m): 3:54pm On Oct 10, 2021
highoctane:

Let's consider God's view through his word the bible.
Actually there are no where in his word that says do not smoke cigarettes, tobacco or marijuana. The godly principles will lead one to stop drug addicted habits.
Manufactures of Cigarettes, Stated clearly Surgeon in general stated that smokers are liable to die young. Every humans life comes from God, from him we come to exist Revelation 4:11, life is very expensive, could you imagine, you were given an expensive neck tie, and you decided to polish your shoes with it? Cigarettes has no medicinal value, cigarettes and tobacco smoking are injurious to health, therefore God goes on to say at 1 Corinthians chapter 7:1 "Therefore since we have these promises beloved ones let us cleanse ourselves of every defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God."
The word of God made us to know that your body in the temple of God. Let's reason, when last did you smoke inside a church? being a building made by hand work of man.? If you had not once smoked in a church, then your body and a building which one is more precious to God?
Scientific evidence continue to show that smoking kills more people than most wars combined together.
Mostly you will claim you are not a slave to anyone, be aware that smokers are slaves to tobacco and cigarettes.
1: You find out that a smoker will be very hungry, he will opt to smoke than eat.
2: Many smokers can not easily pass bodily waste mostly early in the morning without smoking.
3: Most smokers are cigarettes thieves, you know what I mean, I was there ones.
4: Smokers lacked cognitive reasoning, always irritated.
Basically the reason for one to give up smoking lays on the respect to the giver of life.
Could you imagine Jesus Christ smoking or under the influence of drugs., exhorting people to repent for the kingdom of God is near.
Let it be known that once in history smoking of cigarettes carries death penalty in England.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by DeRichard(m): 3:55pm On Oct 10, 2021
Itiaba007:
Please I want to be convinced wether smoking is a sin or not. Please back up your opinion with bible verses thanks.

Romans 14:21
It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Clinghton: 3:57pm On Oct 10, 2021
Anything harmful to your health is not good in the eyes of our creator.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Xbs1: 3:58pm On Oct 10, 2021
Yes
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Chibuezem(m): 3:59pm On Oct 10, 2021
Jones4190:
Smoking is not a sin, the bible says he gives us herbs for our health
so these herbs should be smoked like cigarette

Smoking is sin period you know it, we know it

Sin degrades both the flesh and the spiritman.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by baralatie(m): 4:05pm On Oct 10, 2021
PREMIUM TIMES BANKING REPORT MAGAZINE
ADVERTISEMENT
Premium Times Nigeria

The UN health agency warned that tobacco’s killer toxins also wreak havoc on the environment.
Cigarettes

Nigeria records nearly 30,000 tobacco smoking-related deaths- Research
“Among the disease analysed, nearly 737,366 events are expected each year, of which 127,859 representing 17 per cent are attributable to cigarette consumption."

ByAgency Report February 8, 2021

An Abuja-based Centre for the Study of Economies of Africa (CSEA) has reported that a research it conducted had revealed that 28,876 deaths related to tobacco smoking are recorded annually in Nigeria.

Marco Castradori, a research associate with the CSEA, revealed this, on Monday, in Kano, at a report dissemination workshop on the health burden and economic cost of smoking in Nigeria.

According to Mr Castradori, the number represents around 16 per cent of deaths from smoking-related diseases and above five per cent of all cases of deaths.

“Among the disease analysed, nearly 737,366 events are expected each year, of which 127,859 representing 17 per cent are attributable to cigarette consumption.

“In terms of costs, these conditions burden the Nigerian healthcare system with nearly N634 billion, of which 526.4 billion, representing 83 per cent are smoking-attributable treatment costs.

“Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) represents the top cause of smoking-attributable mortality with 29 per cent, followed by Ischemic heart disease with 17.5 per cent, stroke with 13 per cent.

“Other diseases include; passive smoking, 11.5 per cent, lower respiroatory tract infection 11 per cent, and also cardiovascular deaths of non-ischemic cause 5.5 per cent,’’ he said.

He explained that smoking generates a direct annual treatment cost of N526.45 billion, which, he said, was equivalent to 0.36 per cent of the Nigerian GDP in 2019, and 9.63 per cent of the country’s annual healthcare spending.

Person smoking cigarette used to illustrate the story

“Furthermore, adding up productivity losses due to illness, early deaths and informal caregiver, tobacco-related diseases represents 0.44 per cent of the GDP,’’ said Mr Castradori.

He added that the research had suggested that if the price of tobacco cigarettes were to be raised, by 50 per cent, the 23,838 deaths from the smoking-attributable diseases would be averted in 10 years.

He said this would lead to subsequent savings on healthcare costs with increased tax revenue.

“In Nigeria, the tobacco tax collection does not currently fully cover the direct healthcare costs attributed to smoking. We also supplement the quantitative analysis through focus group discussions with smokers across six Nigeria’s geopolitical zones.

“Five major key themes emanated from the discussions with the participants include; psychological effect, stigmatisation, reduced productivity, fall in standard of living and change in physical health.

“Overall, the result underscores the need for broader tobacco control policies in Nigeria through more tobacco taxes and other supplementary measures,’’ he said.

Also, in her presentation, tagged ‘Effective tobacco control regulation in Nigeria: Assessment of Tobacco Taxation and illicit trade’, another research associate, Faiza Muntaka, said the pervasiveness of illicit tobacco products also represents a severe cost for the development efforts of the government.

“This pervasiveness of illicit tobacco products not only harms the health of consumers by stimulating greater consumption of lower standard goods at affordable prices, but also represents a severe cost for the development efforts of the government.

“A significant tax revenue reduction, approximated in the range of N12 billion, the loss of national productivity associated with morbidity and the increased healthcare costs all compound to pose a significant barrier to Nigeria’s development
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Kobojunkie: 4:11pm On Oct 10, 2021
Valuc:
Men have no right given them by God to tell such lies in His Name. undecided
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Dtruthspeaker: 4:11pm On Oct 10, 2021
Jones4190:

You means God didn't have reason for creating herbs?

Is herbs used for harming and murdering oneself?
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by suffering: 4:13pm On Oct 10, 2021
Nobody should honestly care.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Kobojunkie: 4:17pm On Oct 10, 2021
Chibuezem:
so these herbs should be smoked like cigarette
Smoking is sin period you know it, we know it
Sin degrades both the flesh and the spiritman.
Where did you get the claim in bold from? I ask because...

1. ...God's curse, not sins, is reason for why why human body is to perish in the end - Genesis 3 vs 16 - 22 undecided

2. ...Man was born from his parents a physical being(of clay of this earth) and not of spirit. According to Jesus Christ, it is only when He is saved - John 3 vs 1 - 8 - that he is born of Spirit.

Also, how can that which is of the physical world be said to degrade that which is even of Spirit(eternal) - in what way does this degradation happen? undecided

It is foolishness to claim to be saved by Jesus Christ bit have absolutely no clue or knowledge of His teachings and commandments. undecided
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by baralatie(m): 4:20pm On Oct 10, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Where did you get the claim in bold from? I ask because...

1. ...God's curse, not sins, is reason for why why human body is to perish in the end - Genesis 3 vs 16 - 22 undecided

2. ...Man was born from his parents a physical being(of clay of this earth) and not of spirit. According to Jesus Christ, it is only when He is saved - John 3 vs 1 - 8 - that he is born of Spirit.

Also, how can that which is of the physical world be said to degrade that which is even of Spirit(eternal) - in what way does this degradation happen? undecided

It is foolishness to claim to be saved by Jesus Christ bit have absolutely no clue or knowledge of His teachings and commandments. undecided
You are just talking nonsense!
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Kobojunkie: 4:21pm On Oct 10, 2021
baralatie:

You are just talking nonsense!
If this is also nonsense to you, then I am afraid you truly don't know who Jesus Christ, the one you claim to believe in, truly is undecided
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Nobody: 4:23pm On Oct 10, 2021
Kobojunkie:
I don't smoke at all! undecided
However, I will never allow my personal bias against smoking cause me to sin against the Most High by pretending that He also sees it as sin simply on ground that it is sin to me. undecided

Many "Christians" just look at what they don't like, and conclude it's a sin as far as they don't like it.

1 Like

Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by LordReed(m): 4:24pm On Oct 10, 2021
Valuc:
yes na ... I have seen a smoker are 102 years and I have seen a non smoker die at 10years cus of lung or kidney failure .. something mux kill a man

Glad you understand.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Valuc: 5:13pm On Oct 10, 2021
LordReed:

Glad you understand.
I understand o.. u smoke. U go out .. u get accident u die .. u no smoke .. u get accident u die .. the end of it all is death... Whether it's malaria or it's system failure
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by KaluwisxPRO: 5:17pm On Oct 10, 2021
baralatie:

Is marijuana carbohydrates

What do you know of mj, content? Did you study it and find a sin in it? Are you aware of the nutritional content of everything you consume? Abi Bible tell you to live by carbohydrate alone??

1 Like

Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by LordReed(m): 5:22pm On Oct 10, 2021
Valuc:
I understand o.. u smoke. U go out .. u get accident u die .. u no smoke .. u get accident u die .. the end of it all is death... Whether it's malaria or it's system failure

LoL Na so.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by baralatie(m): 5:22pm On Oct 10, 2021
KaluwisxPRO:

What do you know of mj, content? Did you study it and find a sin in it? Are you aware of the nutritional content of everything you consume? Abi Bible tell you to live by carbohydrate alone??
Oga nutritionist!

What is the nutrient breakdown of marijuana?

Shey you read am for bible say marijuana no food ?
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Kobojunkie: 5:26pm On Oct 10, 2021
KaluwisxPRO:

ROFLMAO
grin cheesy grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by udomma1005(m): 5:27pm On Oct 10, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

Certainly!
That's what we meant when we call something "SIN" it's got nothing to do with unbelievers like you. We are talking to ourselves!
For instance, sex between two unmarried adults is not a crime in the human society but in the congregation it's SIN!
So we aren't setting standards for you that's not within our standard only applies to those within! 1Corinthians 5:13 smiley
Who do you really refer to as "ourselves" because I'm a Christian but beg to differ from your point of view?
If you find something or someone irritating to your being, you do well to avoid it rather than pass assuming myths in lieu of all. Smoking is not sin! While younger, the Irish and Portuguese reverend fathers we met were basically chronic smokers while still propagating evangelism relentlessly. A lot of people were converted to Christianity, anyway.
It isn't everyone that smokes in uncompleted buildings neither do they go nude after smoking. Respect the rights of others, live and let's live. I had a lecturer who was a bad arse smoker. He was running about a pack (20 sticks) in less than a 2 hour class,we thought he would die before we do graduate grin. But alas, a lot of lecturers have died through accidents, village winch, medical complications and sorts but our smoky J is hale & hearty as at last month i bumped into him in Port Harcourt.
Let's learn to mind our darm businesses and live let others live too.

1 Like

Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Ficeo(m): 5:35pm On Oct 10, 2021
As for me, God gave us evil and good to choose. If you like smoke from today till tomorrow, I am happy cardiologists must eat. When its time for your judgement, you will know whether its a sin or not.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by ableguy(m): 5:42pm On Oct 10, 2021
LordReed:

The point with all this is to establish to you folk that your sin parameters are just an arbitrary concept you make up as you go for the things you want or don't want, stop fooling yourself that a god has anything to do with it. Nobody is gonna condemn you for stating you don't like smoking. I myself don't like smoking, inhaling the smoke literally makes me sick but I will not condemn someone for making his own choice to smoke, that's his business. I will maintain sufficient distance from such a person while they do it and return to close contact after, it's that simple.
Simple question is there smoke that's harmless? U begin dey write note.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Oct 10, 2021
I smoke Igbo this morning, I no go church, shey I dey go hellfire?
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by pyro62(m): 6:13pm On Oct 10, 2021
haddeylium:

Firstly, Smoking is a degrading action that harms and defiles a person’s body. Paul reminded the Corinthian that Christians must cleanse themselves of ‘every defilement of the flesh’.

“2 Corinthians 7:1 Therefore, since we have these promises, beloved ones, let us cleanse ourselves of every defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God”

It's a common knowledge that smoking is very addicting. It contains nicotine acts as a stimulant as well as a depressant. Smoking delivers nicotine to the brain quickly and repeatedly.

Smoking is lethal and being enslaved to any lethal habit that enslaves someone is not the best way to give your ‘all’ to almighty God.
Smoking kills at a faster rate than coronavirus. Averagely, 6millons people die every year because of this habit.

God teaches us to have a proper view of our life, our body, and our faculties. His Son, Jesus, pointed to this when he said:

“You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind.” Matthew 22:37

Clearly, God wants us to make good use of our life and body and to treat them with respect.

If you want to learn about the true God and his promises and what he has done for us. Even, tips on how to overcome the addiction (if any). Visit JW.ORG

Sense ruled Christian. Smoking kills, but you drink coke and fanta that causes diabetes and you don't preach against that one. Abi that one doesn't defile the body? Smoking is never a sin, it is just an unhealthy habit just like taking too much sugar, or eating processed food. Stop defending your ignorance

1 Like

Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by pyro62(m): 6:18pm On Oct 10, 2021
baralatie:

Oga nutritionist!

What is the nutrient breakdown of marijuana?

Shey you read am for bible say marijuana no food ?

To call marijuana a sin is like saying God made a mistake.

1 Like

Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by baralatie(m): 6:34pm On Oct 10, 2021
pyro62:

To call marijuana a sin is like saying God made a mistake.

Did God create marijuana for you to inhale to your destruction?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Churches Should Obey The Government's Social Distancing And Lockdown Order / Should Our First Fruit Go To The Pastor's Pocket? / Ways Satan Manifests Himself In Our Churches Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.