Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,114 members, 7,811,132 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:38 AM

Is Smoking A Sin? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Smoking A Sin? (27362 Views)

Is SMOKING A SIN / Daddy Freeze: "Smoking A Cigarette Is Unhealthy, It Is Not A Sin" / Pastor Arinze Okoli Mmaduabuchi: "Gay Is Not A Sin” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Eyanbahose: 1:59pm On Oct 10, 2021
Mercychen:
I think what you should be concerned more about is your health. because even if it's a sin, that's not the only sin you commit as there are several other unknown sins that only take a toll on your spiritual life but smoking will not only kill you spiritually but increase your chances of dying faster physically by 80%
can please point me to a statistic that states that 80%?
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by haddeylium(m): 2:00pm On Oct 10, 2021
oranget:

This made my day, seeing a JW call Jesus son of God. I never thought I'll live to see this day
Cheers to that
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Shegzy8(m): 2:01pm On Oct 10, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

Well God's people won't come telling you not to smoke!
But in our midst it's a sin because as ministers of the Good News we must make ourselves approachable always! Isaiah 32:1-2

So we do have neighbours, colleagues and friends who are smokers but in the congregation we don't have pollutants.
That's why it's a SIN in our midst! smiley

What will you say about those who do not smoke but rather use the plant(weed) to cook.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by LordReed(m): 2:16pm On Oct 10, 2021
DOptical:

Sugar is needed in the body. That's the end product of carbohydrates and it helps to yield energy for every life process in the body. Even people with diabetes still needs sugar to power their life process. The only difference is they lack the hormone, insulin which helps in the assimilation of these sugar into the body. Hence it's either they take in insulin or find alternative food.

Same can't be said for smoking which ain't even needed at all cos it offset the alignment in our body. It's not good for the linings in our lungs, throats and our stomachs. It wears it away. It's carcinogenic too.

Abegi.. Even it's written on the cigarette box that smokers are liable to die young. So don't say no one warned you.

The point with all this is to establish to you folk that your sin parameters are just an arbitrary concept you make up as you go for the things you want or don't want, stop fooling yourself that a god has anything to do with it. Nobody is gonna condemn you for stating you don't like smoking. I myself don't like smoking, inhaling the smoke literally makes me sick but I will not condemn someone for making his own choice to smoke, that's his business. I will maintain sufficient distance from such a person while they do it and return to close contact after, it's that simple.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by LordReed(m): 2:17pm On Oct 10, 2021
ableguy:

So you actually believe there's a harmless smoke?

The point with all this is to establish to you folk that your sin parameters are just an arbitrary concept you make up as you go for the things you want or don't want, stop fooling yourself that a god has anything to do with it. Nobody is gonna condemn you for stating you don't like smoking. I myself don't like smoking, inhaling the smoke literally makes me sick but I will not condemn someone for making his own choice to smoke, that's his business. I will maintain sufficient distance from such a person while they do it and return to close contact after, it's that simple.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Benwallt(m): 2:19pm On Oct 10, 2021
haddeylium:

Yes, only that the make up of this cigars components are poison. I don't want to bored you with the chemistry of it.
Telling someone taking poison is good only if it's done moderately. Doesn't make sense to me
what should however make sense to you is why do they produce poison for public consumption. You see, we nigerians eehn, I just don't know the words to use. If the producers(whites) come out to say that cigarettes are the best thing to men we won't have cigarettes on any shelf by 4pm today. We conderm things without reasoning other ppl.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by LordReed(m): 2:20pm On Oct 10, 2021
Semaj77:

With this critique , most things would not be considered sin

Because there isn't anything called sin, that is just a name people call whatever they don't want other people to do.

1 Like

Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by SweetDipBenny(m): 2:20pm On Oct 10, 2021
Itiaba007:
Please I want to be convinced wether smoking is a sin or not. Please back up your opinion with bible verses thanks.
Anything that dont make u sin is not a sin
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Kobojunkie: 2:21pm On Oct 10, 2021
Benwallt:
what should however make sense to you is why do they produce poison for public consumption. You see, we nigerians eehn, I just don't know the words to use. If the producers(whites) come out to say that cigarettes are the best thing to men we won't have cigarettes on any shelf by 4pm today. We conderm things without reasoning other ppl.
So tobacco was not smoked or ingested anywhere in Africa until after the "whites" arrived? undecided
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Trustedpronet: 2:22pm On Oct 10, 2021
If you can't find smoking as a sin in the Bible find suicide.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by LordReed(m): 2:23pm On Oct 10, 2021
joyandfaith:

https://www.britannica.com/list/7-of-the-worlds-deadliest-plants

According to Britannia, tobacco is most dangerous plant known. There are other plants which are poisonous ,will you take them.

Sugar is food substance just as lipid etc. Water as well. Excess of even natural foods is bad. One of fruitage of holy spirit is self-control. Gal 5:28,29.
Even greediness is a sin. 1 cor 6:9-11.

Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Tobies: 2:28pm On Oct 10, 2021
I believe God saw and knows the future of every human on earth even before creating adam and eve ..i believe he knew that there will be “smoking” yet he created the herbs to grow from the soil..

About the people saying weed does nothing to the body so it cant be compared to sugar..i hope you know that doctors in developed countries recommend marijuana intake for certain patients with certain health problems
You can smoke and take good care of your lungs..yes you can ..alot of lung cleanser and stuff are everywhere

Alot of people live long with smoking

Just believe whatsoever you want to

1 Like

Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by LordReed(m): 2:28pm On Oct 10, 2021
Evolutionlove:

The greatest problem of most of these mediocre religious people Is "IGNORANCE, DECEPTION, MANIPULATION & HYPOCRISY" Only True EDUCATION & True Consciousness can set them free. Keep on educating and countering them. Meanwhile at the bolded.....grin

LoL! Thanks.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by nextstep(m): 2:32pm On Oct 10, 2021
Does the OP only want to avoid sinning? How about not wanting to damage your body?
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by meetgaya: 2:37pm On Oct 10, 2021
Itiaba007:
Please I want to be convinced wether smoking is a sin or not. Please back up your opinion with bible verses thanks.

Smoking is not a SIN but characteristics of SIN and SIN is UNBELIEF in the WORD of God. Once Christ is not in you, it is certainly you can display characteristics of SIN.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by OMNIVIRUS(m): 2:39pm On Oct 10, 2021
haddeylium:

Firstly, Smoking is a degrading action that harms and defiles a person’s body. Paul reminded the Corinthian that Christians must cleanse themselves of ‘every defilement of the flesh’.

“2 Corinthians 7:1 Therefore, since we have these promises, beloved ones, let us cleanse ourselves of every defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God”
So is Caffeine, Alcohol, Sugar, etc that are not considered sin. Therefore based on your scriptures, these things should be sin also?
It's a common knowledge that smoking is very addicting. It contains nicotine acts as a stimulant as well as a depressant. Smoking delivers nicotine to the brain quickly and repeatedly.

Smoking is lethal and being enslaved to any lethal habit that enslaves someone is not the best way to give your ‘all’ to almighty God.
Smoking kills at a faster rate than coronavirus. Averagely, 6millons people die every year because of this habit.

God teaches us to have a proper view of our life, our body, and our faculties. His Son, Jesus, pointed to this when he said:

“You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind.” Matthew 22:37

Clearly, God wants us to make good use of our life and body and to treat them with respect.

If you want to learn about the true God and his promises and what he has done for us. Even, tips on how to overcome the addiction (if any). Visit JW.ORG
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by blowjohn(m): 2:42pm On Oct 10, 2021
All things are permissible.
But not all things are beneficial.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Kobojunkie: 2:45pm On Oct 10, 2021
blowjohn:
Since we have a Law that is Jesus Christ, clearly not all things are permissible meaning not all things are beneficial as that which is against the Law is of no benefit to those governed by the Law, Jesus Christ. . undecided
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by eeithis(m): 2:48pm On Oct 10, 2021
Jones4190:
Smoking is not a sin, the bible says he gives us herbs for our health
baba for the weed grin grin
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Greatzeus(m): 2:48pm On Oct 10, 2021
A sin is a transgression of the law of God,as stated in the holy bible.
What law of God did smokers break?
Is smoking good? No. Even tobacco companies warns that smokers are liable to die young.
Smoking is a bad habit. I don't smoke,I detest it with passion, regardless I won't condemn or judge anyone who smokes.
We shall all stand before the judgement seat of God and give account of ourselves,so I will rather be worried about myself, rather than being a MF hypocrite.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Danmisra(m): 2:49pm On Oct 10, 2021
Hahahahhaha. Christianity is a funny religion. Imagine christians deliberating on the issue of smoking everyone quoting from the bible. All this is because the Bible is full of contradictions and interpolations. This is why the is no absolute direction in christinanity regarding many offences. An act that is harmful to human body system i bet you all know the answer if it were islam.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Tushmanny123: 3:03pm On Oct 10, 2021
Smoking is not a Sin... Hypocrites will call it a sin cos they don't do it and the funniest part is, They can't point where it is written a Sin in the Bible. Some will call it unrighteous, how the Hell did u know smoking is unrighteous?
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Nobody: 3:03pm On Oct 10, 2021
Nope.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by baralatie(m): 3:09pm On Oct 10, 2021
blowjohn:
That is the rule
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by baralatie(m): 3:09pm On Oct 10, 2021
Tushmanny123:
Smoking is not a Sin... Hypocrites will call it a sin cos they don't do it and the funniest part is, They can't point where it is written a Sin in the Bible. Some will call it unrighteous, how the Hell did u know smoking is unrighteous?
Where is it written that suicide is a sin
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by daniella45(f): 3:14pm On Oct 10, 2021
its health issues is worse than covid 19
ur liver will turn to stake meat abi suya
inside your own body

the experience is just terrible
its unimaginable

remember what omah lay sang in bad influence
''coz the doctor said i burnt my liver"
I have been drinking and smoking cigars"
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Khaysee: 3:20pm On Oct 10, 2021
Sin sin sin don’t deceive your lungs

It has killed many addict stop luring people with your right up
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by harlee(m): 3:23pm On Oct 10, 2021
haddeylium:

Firstly, Smoking is a degrading action that harms and defiles a person’s body. Paul reminded the Corinthian that Christians must cleanse themselves of ‘every defilement of the flesh’.

“2 Corinthians 7:1 Therefore, since we have these promises, beloved ones, let us cleanse ourselves of every defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God”

It's a common knowledge that smoking is very addicting. It contains nicotine acts as a stimulant as well as a depressant. Smoking delivers nicotine to the brain quickly and repeatedly.

Smoking is lethal and being enslaved to any lethal habit that enslaves someone is not the best way to give your ‘all’ to almighty God.
Smoking kills at a faster rate than coronavirus. Averagely, 6millons people die every year because of this habit.

God teaches us to have a proper view of our life, our body, and our faculties. His Son, Jesus, pointed to this when he said:

“You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind.” Matthew 22:37

Clearly, God wants us to make good use of our life and body and to treat them with respect.

If you want to learn about the true God and his promises and what he has done for us. Even, tips on how to overcome the addiction (if any). Visit JW.ORG
how abt when we don't smoke but add it to food,remember it's grass
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Snappy0132: 3:31pm On Oct 10, 2021
Omo

LordReed:

Also think of all the people suffering and dying from diabetes will you also outlaw sugar?
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Snappy0132: 3:32pm On Oct 10, 2021
Osu wa bayi o

harlee:
how abt when we don't smoke but add it to food,remember it's grass
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by KaluwisxPRO: 3:32pm On Oct 10, 2021
haddeylium:

Really? It's a common knowledge that sugar is a natural food and our body is built in a way it can convert this sugar into energy we need. Diabetic patients have a shortage of this insulin enzymes and have to put a watch to their Sugar intake.(The problem here is not the sugar but the diet)

There's no correlation between the two . Smoke is a poison. Smoking loads you up with toxic doses of carcinogens.
Human body is not built with an exhaust pipe or chimney unless you possess one

Sugar is Natural, Marijuana is what??
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by baralatie(m): 3:39pm On Oct 10, 2021
KaluwisxPRO:

Sugar is Natural, Marijuana is what??
Is marijuana carbohydrates

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

"God Changed My Genotype To AA After I Attended A Church Program" - Lady / Churches Should Obey The Government's Social Distancing And Lockdown Order / Should Our First Fruit Go To The Pastor's Pocket?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.