Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,739 members, 7,820,545 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:49 PM

My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department (23823 Views)

She Was Sacked For Telling Students To Pray For Nigeria / He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards / "How I Lost An Mtn Scholarship Because Of My HOD At UNN" – Chukwuleta Leonard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by Doubleoh7: 9:12am On Oct 08, 2021
femi4:
Why will you return the money without any form of dialogue first. That's unprofessional, even NLC will first dialogue with govt before embarking on strike
Please don't repeat this again. The way some of you talk and handle yourselves is one of the reasons why employers treat you like trash. Salary is not a gift, it is your right as agreed in the contract of employment you entered into with your employer. Your employer have no right whatsoever to unilaterally breach that contract by paying you 50% without any prior notice or agreement. It's a different thing if you were notified ahead but you disagree

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by fredoooooo: 9:12am On Oct 08, 2021
Majority of Nigerians don't like the truth.. you should know that.
They only shout when thebad is not favorable ..
Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by realstars: 9:12am On Oct 08, 2021
NON
Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by Opexzy: 9:13am On Oct 08, 2021
In Nigeria, when you are working for private companies always be one step ahead of your boss... Most of them see themselves as demigods that can treat staffs anyhow. I don't know why they are like that anyways.

The former company where I worked.. My boss threatened me with sack letter and not me alone almost everyone. I left the following month... He came back with an offer of 150% of my previous salary but I refused... He had to replace me with 4 new people and even paid huge money for consultancy.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by doncollino: 9:15am On Oct 08, 2021
This is why naira keeps going down, I never knew teachers don't get
Piad when school closes. No wonder consu,er confidence is always low in nigeria
Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by Remix10(m): 9:17am On Oct 08, 2021
kolemark22:
It is factual that the case of unemployment in the Nigerian sphere has led to the unwanted maltreatment of members of staff of private organizations.

Some business owners especially private school owners are becoming more and more insensitive to the plight of the members of their staff in our present day society.

I work in a school where I am paid 50k as an academic staff. We did not get our pay in August because school was not in session.

However, wen we resumed in September, the proprietor decides to ease our stress by giving everyone 5k. At the end of the month, without prior notice he decided to pay us 50% of our salary.

We were dumbfounded by this act. With the level of disappointment, my HOD decided that we should return the 50% as a sign of our displeasure. About seven of us obliged and returned the 50% salary.

When the proprietor learnt about it, he was furious. He ended up relieving the HOD of his duty. Sighting that he was a threat to his establishment.

For the rest of us, we will know our fate tomorrow whether we will stay or leave.

I hope I stay though because I I prefer to leave on my own and not asked to leave.

Your kind are the problem of NIgeria, see your statement, you prefer to be maltreated and seated upon, even at your displeasure? Tueh, that your HOD fought for you guys for nothing, continue tolerating shenanigans and irascible behaviours from your head.

3 Likes

Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by ManOfCompetence(m): 9:17am On Oct 08, 2021
I've taught in private schools before and I know how it feels not getting your full payment at the end of the month..... But sincerely your HOD didn't act professionally by asking you guys to return the 50% salary.....A dialogue with the owner would have been the best option......

1 Like

Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by Gidariro: 9:17am On Oct 08, 2021
femi4:
Why will you return the money without any form of dialogue first. That's unprofessional, even NLC will first dialogue with govt before embarking on strike

This is absolute farce! There is no labour law that stipulates that a worker should be paid a portion of his salary. A worker is entitled to his or her full salary at the end of the month unless he or she is being paid pro-rata. Was there a dialogue or an agreement before the half of salary was paid? The HOD should get a lawyer and fight for an unlawful dismissal.

1 Like

Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by ogawisdom(m): 9:18am On Oct 08, 2021
kolemark22:
It is factual that the case of unemployment in the Nigerian sphere has led to the unwanted maltreatment of members of staff of private organizations.

Some business owners especially private school owners are becoming more and more insensitive to the plight of the members of their staff in our present day society.

I work in a school where I am paid 50k as an academic staff. We did not get our pay in August because school was not in session.

However, wen we resumed in September, the proprietor decides to ease our stress by giving everyone 5k. At the end of the month, without prior notice he decided to pay us 50% of our salary.

We were dumbfounded by this act. With the level of disappointment, my HOD decided that we should return the 50% as a sign of our displeasure. About seven of us obliged and returned the 50% salary.

When the proprietor learnt about it, he was furious. He ended up relieving the HOD of his duty. Sighting that he was a threat to his establishment.

For the rest of us, we will know our fate tomorrow whether we will stay or leave.

I hope I stay though because I I prefer to leave on my own and not asked to leave.

Returning money you have been paid is a dumb & drastic protest strategy in a private school. This is private primary/secondary school I guess. Hold on to your 50% and dialogue with management

If u don't like the school treatment you resign n leave. Most times it's soldiers come and go but barracks remains. It's a pathetic place to work usually ie private primary n secondary school.
Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by MoIbrahim: 9:19am On Oct 08, 2021
After knowing your faith, are you all planning on remaining in that miserable place after someone was sacked for fighting for you people?

If it were a reasonable establishment, you people's insensitivity would be excused, but not such miserable place where clearly the proprietor is only about himself and needs to be thought a lesson for the sake of humanity.

kolemark22:

1 Like

Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by jerryfose: 9:26am On Oct 08, 2021
There was no dialogue before the payment either.... Does that mean that employees dont have rights again even if it is private.
femi4:

2 Likes

Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by Awoo88: 9:26am On Oct 08, 2021
kolemark22:

If I were you, I will leave before tomorrow.
Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by Bryan88(m): 9:26am On Oct 08, 2021
Onyenna:

Gbam!!!

And Lebanese too......
Lebanese, Chinas and Indians are the worst.
Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by j64real(m): 9:27am On Oct 08, 2021
Not forgetting the Lebanese in Bob's voice

Connected1:
Private Organisations owned or managed by Nigerians, Indians and Chinese are just modern slavery institutions.
Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by theamazonguru(m): 9:27am On Oct 08, 2021
dettolgel:
Nigeria is a country of lawless people run by demonic politicians who not only entrenched lawlessness in the country but also thrive on the lawlessness of the people.

@op if they sack una please drop the name of the school and their social media handles so we can show them some love. grin

Op, remember to do this.
Let's help you treat them right.

A school in my area learnt their lesson the hard way.
The proprietress is a good person, but has no time to run the school, so she engaged the head teacher to run the operation.

Power entered that one head, begin dey misbehave to both staff and parents, once you are not in her good books she go lash you any how.

As school resumed this September, the kids attending the school in my compound with a combined school fees of about N1m stopped and changed to another school.
A lot of other pupils did same too.

The proprietress thought she was dreaming, started calling all the parents, but alas it was too late.

No one told her to find time to manage her school herself now. I learnt she now resumes at 6am and closes 6pm. Something she never did before.

In case you are reading this, ma Chinwe na you we dey talk about , you better change for you.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by Nobody: 9:30am On Oct 08, 2021
kolemark22:

Oga go into the school & pick up anything that carries the value of your full salary. Nobody can sue you or arrest you, If you don't show people madness, they won't take you seriously.

Just accept that you are fired from that school.

Grab a laptop, or any electronics you can find. Drop them a note for them to bring your money and you can release their items.

3 Likes

Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by Kenoxman(m): 9:31am On Oct 08, 2021
grin POVERTY IS A BASTARD! So 7 of the staff returned the payment while the rest think they are too broke to follow suit? That's the catalyst that broke the protest and turned the protesters into victims. You see how difficult it is for NLC to champion the cause of Nigerian workers. The wicked proprietor would not dare relieve the entire staff had everybody complied. But POVERTY came to the rescue. Sadly this is one major tool Nigerian employers use against their workers. If it is too small for you, somebody somewhere else will be begging for it, even it be halved. I hate poverty.

4 Likes

Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by Traplord09: 9:32am On Oct 08, 2021
[b][/b]It is factual that the case of unemployment in the Nigerian sphere has led to the unwanted maltreatment of members of staff of private organizations.

There two thins it a choice... .....
Ether you work as a slave or you leave....
50thousand no be money.......

No money for government ..... De money is for
Repentance boko Haram and fulani people

No vax money no da..
50 thousand undecided undecided undecided

You go eat.......
Entr car go work......
If you get car you go buy petrol
House rent.......
At list you go hug out with you friend
....... ....... ........... .........
Person wa marri go Tak care of is child
School Free
Food
Mother....
Still hug out.......
With dat kind of pay na sorry for you ooo
Man da try ......
People get mind ooo
Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by chatinent: 9:33am On Oct 08, 2021
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed Bro, please throw more light on this freelancing abeg.

Freelancing is selling your skills online. Whatever you can do...there's a an available market to buy.
Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by pennywys(m): 9:34am On Oct 08, 2021
kolemark22:

where do you say you work again as an academic staff with 50k salary? A primary school? Cos I know it shouldn't be a university or its equivalent where work load is much for the teaching staff

Please clarify us on this so we know how worst Buhari is
Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by kingxsamz(m): 9:35am On Oct 08, 2021
femi4:

Why were they paid only 50% without any form of dialogue or notice? Or was that professional also?
This is how you people support oppression. Instead of addressing the main issue, you're saying something else.

6 Likes

Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by dingbang(m): 9:35am On Oct 08, 2021
People forget their lives are like a puff of smoke
Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by lilvicky68(m): 9:37am On Oct 08, 2021
chatinent:
Hello,

Thanks for sharing your piece.

I loathe working in privately owned whatever...and for schools? It's a no no....except it is my establishment.

Why?
Most of them are trash! No job security! A stupid director who has zilch relating to the expertise or experience, but just because he is related to the boss could just wake up one morning and relief you of your duties without payment for not greeting him by prostration even if it is remaining a day to complete the month! Or sack you as lady for refusing his advances.

You can also get sacked for refusing to steal for the director...that is if you work in the finance department!

Some of them will owe you for months and be exploring subtle means to sack you! It makes people be at the mercies of these good-for-nothing ingrates seeing themselves as demi-gods.

I hate to admit this but I verily pity young jambites teaching while they wait for their results, or those who those directors feel they are giving an opportunity. Those girls are often exploited sexually...and they can't leave!

Just look at how sb who stood for his rights was served! And you know the bad thing about it, you hardly win a law case on it due to its dearth of statutory flavour.

The ₦50k to them is ₦1bn...sth that cannot even satisfy one in a month! My heart goes out to the majority being paid ₦10k yet overworked like a prosecuted donkey!

I incite you to take to freelancing now! Get busy working from home.

Nigeria has failed.

Nigeria should be given to charity.
Nice one

But everybody no fit do freelancing..
Who go come dey work ni

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by Sonnobax15(m): 9:40am On Oct 08, 2021
chatinent:

Freelancing is selling your skills online. Whatever you can do...there's a an available market to buy.
ok thanks bro

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by toffyz(m): 9:41am On Oct 08, 2021
femi4:

I support this, the mgt of the school should be aware before carrying out that act.

Myself will not be happy as an owner if such thing happen in my establishment

There should be a call for dialogue first!
Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by femi4: 9:42am On Oct 08, 2021
kingxsamz:

Why were they paid only 50% without any form of dialogue or notice? Or was that professional also?
This is how you people support oppression. Instead of addressing the main issue, you're saying something else.
Two wrongs ....
Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by femi4: 9:42am On Oct 08, 2021
Gidariro:

This is absolute farce! There is no labour law that stipulates that a worker should be paid a portion of his salary. A worker is entitled to his or her full salary at the end of the month unless he or she is being paid pro-rata. Was there a dialogue or an agreement before the half of salary was paid? The HOD should get a lawyer and fight for an unlawful dismissal.
You lack comprehension
Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by femi4: 9:43am On Oct 08, 2021
Doubleoh7:

Please don't repeat this again. The way some of you talk and handle yourselves is one of the reasons why employers treat you like trash. Salary is not a gift, it is your right as agreed in the contract of employment you entered into with your employer. Your employer have no right whatsoever to unilaterally breach that contract by paying you 50% without any prior notice or agreement. It's a different thing if you were notified ahead but you disagree
You're not civilized.
Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by Zainabthegirl1(f): 9:44am On Oct 08, 2021
Corruption at its peak
Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by Algold: 9:46am On Oct 08, 2021
kolemark22:

After you all have push the HOD, now u prefer to stay. Why not leave as soon as u learnt that the HOD have been relieved of his duties as way of protesting...
I am sure u be yoruba person.... Betrayal runs in your veins

3 Likes

Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by kingxsamz(m): 9:46am On Oct 08, 2021
femi4:
Two wrongs ....

There was no wrong in what they did.
They weren't paid the last month, and after having hopes they would receive their full pay the next month, they got disappointed.
They didn't strike but only returned the money. You focusing on their protest and not the actions of the oppressor just enables other oppressors. This is Nigeria where people act anyhow because they're in power.

1 Like

Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by MissionaryArchi(m): 9:47am On Oct 08, 2021
Opexzy:
In Nigeria, when you are working for private companies always be one step ahead of your boss... Most of them see themselves as demigods that can treat staffs anyhow. I don't know why they are like that anyways.

The former company where I worked.. My boss threatened me with sack letter and not me alone almost everyone. I left the following month... He came back with an offer of 150% of my previous salary but I refused... He had to replace me with 4 new people and even paid huge money for consultancy.

This is the greatest approach against this bosses. You always have to be 2x step ahead of them and more technically/mentally sophisticated than the so called boss that the company can't do almost without you, seriously they will never joke with you

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Photos From Modibo Adama University Yola (mautech) / Please Is Neco Gce Still On? What Is The Price & Where Can I Get It / Adamu Adamu Walks Out On NANS In Deadlocked Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.