Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,025 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:12 AM

My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department (23827 Views)

She Was Sacked For Telling Students To Pray For Nigeria / He Was Sacked For Making Bad Comments On Report Cards / "How I Lost An Mtn Scholarship Because Of My HOD At UNN" – Chukwuleta Leonard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by Nobody: 9:47am On Oct 08, 2021
femi4:
You lack comprehension

You are the one who lacks comprehension, I pray you and everyone around you that has a job will get only 50% of their pay from henceforth. Amen.

4 Likes

Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by dominique(f): 9:48am On Oct 08, 2021
Most schools resumed on 13th or September and anybody that knows how these schools operate should know they only pay for the days you worked. Except you came to work while school was on break, expecting to get your full pay when you only worked for half of the month is quite far fetched. Your HOD has always had a grouse against the school owners and wanted to use the staff to tackle them. It's a good thing he was let go. Even if you're displeasured with the half pay, there are ways you could have aired your grievance without returning the money

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by AfroKnight: 9:49am On Oct 08, 2021
When did you resume work?

After the 20th of September?

I think I understand why you were paid 50%. I have not worked as a teacher before so I don’t know how it works. But in normal private medium enterprises, they prorate your salary if you start halfway into the month. Except December of course.
Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by Nobody: 9:51am On Oct 08, 2021
dominique:
Most schools resumed on 13th or September and anybody that knows how these schools operate should know they only pay for the days you worked. Except you came to work while school was on break, expecting to get your full pay when you only worked for half of the month is quite far fetched. Your HOD has always had a grouse against the school owners and wanted to use the staff to tackle them. It's a good thing he was let go. Even if you're displeasured with the half pay, there are ways you could have aired your grievance without returning the money

Madame, this is slave mentality talk. I don't know why you Nigerians are deeply soaked in mental slavery.

The ideal & legal way is to count the number of days they worked in September and pay them. That is why we have HR & accounting staff.

This will also reflect on their pay slip, so no one can argue.

3 Likes

Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by murphyibiam15(m): 9:53am On Oct 08, 2021
kolemark22:
It is factual that the case of unemployment in the Nigerian sphere has led to the unwanted maltreatment of members of staff of private organizations.

Some business owners especially private school owners are becoming more and more insensitive to the plight of the members of their staff in our present day society.

I work in a school where I am paid 50k as an academic staff. We did not get our pay in August because school was not in session.

However, wen we resumed in September, the proprietor decides to ease our stress by giving everyone 5k. At the end of the month, without prior notice he decided to pay us 50% of our salary.

We were dumbfounded by this act. With the level of disappointment, my HOD decided that we should return the 50% as a sign of our displeasure. About seven of us obliged and returned the 50% salary.

When the proprietor learnt about it, he was furious. He ended up relieving the HOD of his duty. Sighting that he was a threat to his establishment.

For the rest of us, we will know our fate tomorrow whether we will stay or leave.

I hope I stay though because I I prefer to leave on my own and not asked to leave.
Selfish boy, your HOD left protecting you but you don't want to leave. That's why one shouldn't make sacrifice for others.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by perezeghi: 9:55am On Oct 08, 2021
Alitair:
Please don't forget to update us on how it turned out for the you guys.

I remember when I taught in a school in PH. She owed a full month and still wanted to slash 10k from my salary for silly reasons.

I jejely locked the gate and told her to go ahead and jump fence. Long story short, she paid my two months full salary and I never stepped foot in her school again.

These proprietors can be inhumane but I noticed that happens only when you let them boss you around with out a stand.

I can only respect my employer or boss but me I no go fit fear am.

UDO!

You be correct person.
If we get many of your kind in this country private business owners can't do rubbish.

1 Like

Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by femi4: 9:56am On Oct 08, 2021
truthsayer009:

You are the one who lacks comprehension, I pray you and everyone around you that has a job will get only 50% of their pay from henceforth. Amen.
Educated illiterate
Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by Teejay13(m): 9:56am On Oct 08, 2021
The proprietor was wrong in his act. He should have notified his staffs prior to the change in agreement.
Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by femi4: 9:58am On Oct 08, 2021
kingxsamz:

There was no wrong in what they did.
They weren't paid the last month, and after having hopes they would receive their full pay the next month, they got disappointed.
They didn't strike but only returned the money. You focusing on their protest and not the actions of the oppressor just enables other oppressors. This is Nigeria where people act anyhow because they're in power.
There is a civil way of going about your agitation in a corporate world. Dialogue comes before protest
Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by gagafuc: 9:58am On Oct 08, 2021
I am a graduate and only been paid 30,000 Naira monthly in a private school. Someone should console me please.
Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by Kenoxman(m): 9:59am On Oct 08, 2021
Opexzy:
In Nigeria, when you are working for private companies always be one step ahead of your boss... Most of them see themselves as demigods that can treat staffs anyhow. I don't know why they are like that anyways.

The former company where I worked.. My boss threatened me with sack letter and not me alone almost everyone. I left the following month... He came back with an offer of 150% of my previous salary but I refused... He had to replace me with 4 new people and even paid huge money for consultancy.
Good thing you did. I believe it is wise never to return to a former workplace when one left as a result of disagreement over conditions of work irrespective of promises of better conditions. Most times it doesn't get better but worse. You even lose your respect and dignity in the process. Having a good side hustle or tight savings are good recipe for staying ahead. I guess that was what helped you in moving on fast.

1 Like

Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by Doyou2019: 9:59am On Oct 08, 2021
dettolgel:
Nigeria is a country of lawless people run by demonic politicians who not only entrenched lawlessness in the country but also thrive on the lawlessness of the people.

@op [/b]if they sack una please drop the name of the school and their social media handles so we can show them some love[b] . grin

Fully agreed. Nigerian teachers need to start naming and shaming these useless schools and their owners. Enough of the injustice.

1 Like

Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by Doyou2019: 10:02am On Oct 08, 2021
dettolgel:

How is returning the money same as striking? grin

The mumu you're quoting is a well-known teacher here. Seems he's become a school owner recently, hence his tolerance and tacit support for the rut going on in private schools around the country.

2 Likes

Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by dettolgel: 10:12am On Oct 08, 2021
theamazonguru:

Op, remember to do this.
Let's help you treat them right.

A school in my area learnt their lesson the hard way.
The proprietress is a good person, but has no time to run the school, so she engaged the head teacher to run the operation.

Power entered that one head, begin dey misbehave to both staff and parents, once you are not in her good books she go lash you any how.

As school resumed this September, the kids attending the school in my compound with a combined school fees of about N1m stopped and changed to another school.
A lot of other pupils did same too.

The proprietress thought she was dreaming, started calling all the parents, but alas it was too late.

No one told her to find time to manage her school herself now. I learnt she now resumes at 6am and closes 6pm. Something she never did before.

In case you are reading this, ma Chinwe na you we dey talk about , you better change for you.

My brother the problem is that we allow them to get away with it. To them they can treat their workers which ever way they like because no one is going to speak up for them. But alas time is changing though not at a fast pace but will be eventually take the fight to each and everyone of them.
Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by AKWATGOLD1(m): 10:14am On Oct 08, 2021
This is wickedness.

This Proprietors/Proprietress are shylock.
Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by obinoral1179(m): 10:19am On Oct 08, 2021
kolemark22:
It is factual that the case of unemployment in the Nigerian sphere has led to the unwanted maltreatment of members of staff of private organizations.

Some business owners especially private school owners are becoming more and more insensitive to the plight of the members of their staff in our present day society.

I work in a school where I am paid 50k as an academic staff. We did not get our pay in August because school was not in session.

However, wen we resumed in September, the proprietor decides to ease our stress by giving everyone 5k. At the end of the month, without prior notice he decided to pay us 50% of our salary.

We were dumbfounded by this act. With the level of disappointment, my HOD decided that we should return the 50% as a sign of our displeasure. About seven of us obliged and returned the 50% salary.

When the proprietor learnt about it, he was furious. He ended up relieving the HOD of his duty. Sighting that he was a threat to his establishment.

For the rest of us, we will know our fate tomorrow whether we will stay or leave.

I hope I stay though because I I prefer to leave on my own and not asked to leave.
your last statement is ridiculous, someone took a fall for you but all you want is to leave honourably.. the seven of you should even tender your letter of resignation and join your HOD but doubt you will do that... May God open a better way for the HOD..

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by Bluntemperor: 10:20am On Oct 08, 2021
femi4:
Why will you return the money without any form of dialogue first. That's unprofessional, even NLC will first dialogue with govt before embarking on strike

Pleasant reply to the OP!
I believed there is still more to this OP story.
O P and associates,can you just tell me in Nigeria of today,is there anything the govt is really doing to assist the business Owners in Nigeria?:
- No water
- No light
-No Roads
- No Infrastructural Development'
-Even the Covid-19 Fund was never disbursed to many businesses, including Private Schools,which I'm aware of!
In a saner clime,for instance, Canadian stayed home for the same Covid-19 yet they all collected $2500 per a person,for each time of lochdown! So Is not the same blood running their veins,both in Nigeria and Canada!
Please,blame your govt.
Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by chatinent: 10:22am On Oct 08, 2021
lilvicky68:

Nice one

But everybody no fit do freelancing..
Who go come dey work ni
People wey no fit freelance go work.
Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by Michcole: 10:22am On Oct 08, 2021
Thank you Jesus I got a job in very good FG parastatals this year after NYSc. Is it the servitude private teaching job with penury emolument I would have been doing?
My heart goes out to those who are grossly underpaid for service delivery & the unemployed in the society who are stretching their hands for help.
Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by xperiencelove(m): 10:23am On Oct 08, 2021
kolemark22:

However, wen we resumed in September, the proprietor decides to ease our stress by giving everyone 5k. At the end of the month, without prior notice he decided to pay us 50% of our salary...
I pity your condition. May God help you, your colleagues and everyone. Please, try your best to learn a skill and be an entrepreneur.
Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by Demmy4u: 10:36am On Oct 08, 2021
The school failed to pay his staff for the month of August all because it was holiday, then come to pay 50% at the end of September without any explanation before the payment is done, that's inhumane.

The HOD has not done anything wrong, it's just that the school owner/management lack human management skill.
Now that the HOD is sack, she should check her appointment letter and ensure she understand the terms there so she can claim her right. She should be payed one month upfront with the sack.

Schools like that most often don't have a better welfare scheme for their staff

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by esiri4jesu(m): 10:38am On Oct 08, 2021
kolemark22:

You guys should leave in solidarity with your HOD. It is not the end of the world. Let see if he can risk losing 8 staff in a day. It is either the HOD is recalled or he should forget you guys services.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by kingxsamz(m): 10:40am On Oct 08, 2021
femi4:
There is a civil way of going about your agitation in a corporate world. Dialogue comes before protest

Lol, funny guy.
Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by esiri4jesu(m): 10:41am On Oct 08, 2021
femi4:
Why will you return the money without any form of dialogue first. That's unprofessional, even NLC will first dialogue with govt before embarking on strike

If they were carried along before reduction in salary, they would have dialogued and reached a consensus.
Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by Dozie32(m): 10:55am On Oct 08, 2021
[quote author=kolemark22 post=106538550]It is factual that the case of unemployment in the Nigerian sphere has led to the unwanted maltreatment of members of staff of private organizations.

I hope I stay though because I I prefer to leave on my own and not asked to leave. [/quote

So you want to tell me that you can't leave that good for nothing job?
Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by Osashalom: 11:03am On Oct 08, 2021
kolemark22:

Why are you still hoping to stay, when you have the opportunity to make the first strike? Why don't you guys turn in your resignation letter in Mass in solidarity with the sacked HOD? This is the problem of Nigerians, they always wants others to sacrifice for their rights and we'll being, while they only fold their hands to complain. The HOD also aught to have spoken with the proprietor first on the matter before returning the money.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by careytommy37(m): 11:06am On Oct 08, 2021
Alitair:

Holding onto the 50% and trying to dialogue for more will only lead to Failure in anything you have in mind. Returning the pay is the loudest protest ever.

The HOD must have tried asking the reason before instigating the move to return the pay. And I assure you that Oga HOD surely collected his pay before leaving the premises of said Academy.

This is the same issue we are having with our leaders, plenty talks and dialogue but no action at all.

Thanks for this. The HOD tried fighting for them but they couldn't even stand behind him. What they don't know is that someone of that level who knows his onions and is ready to risk probably has a backup plan and like you said, they must have paid him before asking him to leave. You can sack someone of that level just like that because he knows what to do and I'm sure he will easily get another job in another (probably smaller) school that will pay almost the same salary.
As for the OP, just know it that the proprietor will henceforth be paying all of you a fraction of your salary haven't tested the waters and seeing he can getawsy with it.
I will advice you maintain a good relationship with that HOD since you stood by him in that decision cos you might be needing his help to secure another job soon.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by Sotland: 11:10am On Oct 08, 2021
The entire teachers are not cooperating, there are saboteurs among you;hence, while should it be only 7 of you that returned the 50%, it should have being the entire teacher. This single mistake is why the owner leverage to sack just the HOD. If all of you had approach the proprietor in unison, he or she would liases with you all or everyone leaves (sack).. HOD lost his or her job and the rest of you are so cool with it, hence, you wouldn't be scared anticipating if the rest 7 will be sacked or not...

kolemark22:

Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by jonnyjustcome22: 11:12am On Oct 08, 2021
I have an experience similar to this when I was working in a private school 2005 in Ogun state when I have an issue with the principal and he decided to sack me but they are feeling reluctant to give me my pay for that month but when they notice that I am a trouble maker and ready to make trouble with them they call me to come for my pay and i left the school immediately.
Take it up with them as in through proper means and get your pay and walk away from them, may be God is ready to open door for you. Most of these proprietors like to enslave people and take advantage of the bad system and unemployment free yourself bro
Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by ovye15: 11:17am On Oct 08, 2021
I have been in similar situation with your HOD, only that in my case, I informed my colleagues not to sign the PV for a salary they didn't not collect but they went ahead and signed it and my Project Manager was informed what I did. He was furious and wanted sacking me but I was the only M&E in my organization that understood the NOMIS database, and sacking me will cost the organisation troubles.
I have learnt to fight alone after that incidence.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by jaxxy(m): 11:20am On Oct 08, 2021
kolemark22:

It’s an internal issue. The HOD should have made such unilateral decisions against the establishment. That shouldn’t have been the 1st line of action. He should have done a written complaint 1st about the short payment then take it from there based on the formal reply given by the skol management. Obviously it was a bridge in contract to reduce ur salary bt it happens and there are explanations. The HOD should have found out why that was done.
Re: My HOD Was Sacked For Defending The Rights Of Members Of His Department by Nobody: 11:24am On Oct 08, 2021
kolemark22:

This is why I can never work for any man again all my life.

The wickedness of this generation is unmeasurable. Some of them will be ordinary employees like you, since they can't control your salary, they will just choose who to maltreat and who to pamper.

Once you have been chosen for maltreatment, make mistake enter office by 7am or 7:01am. Being ONE MINUTE late, nah so query go dey fly up and down, as if you broke into the vault and stole the corporation's one month's entire earnings.

Most humanbeings are useless o. The man is supposed to pay you AUGUST and SEPTEMBER salaries in full.

Whether the school is in session or not, FG and state governments pay their teachers' salaries.

There is no rule which states that private schools should withhold salaries from their staff when school is out of session.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Please Is Neco Gce Still On? What Is The Price & Where Can I Get It / Photos From Modibo Adama University Yola (mautech) / A Nairalander Signs Out From MOUA (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.