Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,802 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:35 PM

The Best ISP In Nigeria? - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / The Best ISP In Nigeria? (36265 Views)

The Best ISP In Surulere Area, Lagos? / Swift The Best Isp In Nigeria? / Best Isp For Cyber Cafe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Best ISP In Nigeria? by WebMonk(m): 10:08am On Sep 16, 2007
I don't think they have a a wide network, but Onet has saved my day (Though thier services were horrible before)

No i get a download rate between 7KB/s to 12KB/s steady! Currently in ado ekiti.

the only prices i can remember (cause i've tried them):

8am-8pm: N8,000
24hrs: N11,000

Wireless Data Card (HUAWEI EC 321) for laptop browsing: N8,000

* All prices exclude a N1000 Reactivation fee

Hope this helps
Re: The Best ISP In Nigeria? by lanrejay: 5:12pm On Sep 17, 2007
Well so many stories of woe for ISPs but I want to suggest that invariably we get the quality of service that matches what we paid !!!
All said and done I still think though that we are all been taken for a ride by most ISPs I don't think I'm allowed to mention names of the bad one so I wont mention Starcomms 1x solution.
If you want a good ISP try
www.netcomafrica.com
or
www.iwirelessng.com

Id recommend iwireless more cos they are good trust me!! on that I watch you tube streams with Iwireless like I'm watching TV. then I'm pro Nigerian so when I see something good in Naija i promote it over the Oyinbo version
Re: The Best ISP In Nigeria? by poeticsoul: 11:46am On Sep 21, 2007
definitely ipnx, its fast and offers different options,carry go IPNX.
Re: The Best ISP In Nigeria? by tomcat: 5:03pm On Oct 13, 2007
I'm interested as well to listen from people that have Nitel adsl. Their website is not working to give more info, as all the adsl hyperlinks are cripled,

Nitel and Glo are passing fiber optics all around Lagos, but Nitel is the only one who has access to Sat3.

According to some Alcatel people they have 2x8gb bandwith available, of which hardly any is used,

Until sat3 starts getting used properly will never see reliable and cheaper internet in Nigeria.

So any nitel adsl users please come forward,
Re: The Best ISP In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:23am On Oct 15, 2007
@ all,

MTN sharkpod is not really running at 921kbps, its just that the maximum speed at which the modem can work is 921kbps, if your ISP is offering something lower than that it will still show 921kbps when connected but it's really running at that speed the ISP is giving out. And in the case of MTN one can not really determine the speed at which they operate.

But one thing i know is that its still far better than dial-up like starcomms, multilinks, reltel e.t.c.
And to those considering of getting MTN sharkpod, i will advice you not to get the modem but just subscribe for the service which is 13500 unlimited access for a month and if you are lucky you have a modem-enabled phone like motorola L6, nokia smart phones or NEC 3G phones, just connect the phone to your lappy or desky and you are a click away to the internet.

If any question on MTN sharkpod, feel free to mail me on odupitanenitan@gmail.com or call me on 01-7235792.
ONE LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: The Best ISP In Nigeria? by sabmack(m): 3:33pm On Oct 15, 2007
I will want u to try COBRANET. They are the best for now. God speed and reliable. they are also cheap. I have installed stacormms, multilink, swift, direct on pc etc all has failed until i start installing COBRANET and now saw the difference.

Try them u wont regret.
Re: The Best ISP In Nigeria? by samir101ng(m): 5:41pm On Oct 15, 2007
hey, guys this has been an interesting thread so far and i have gained a lot from it.

please can anyone help me with some good advice.

am about to establish a cybercafe in the north eastern part of the country, specifically gombe state. now, we have zero isps and i mean nada. therefore, i have opted to use a vsat as a solution to my problem.

now, i have about 15 systems and 5 ports for those with laptops making it 20 in all. i have budgeted at least a N100,000 a month for the bandwidth payment. i want a cafe where you can download music, use bearshare or watch movies without any problems.

any company out there or isp that has a bandwidth payment plan that can accomodate me should send me a mail at samir101ng@gmail.com

thanks guys and hope to hear from you soon.
Re: The Best ISP In Nigeria? by TRX: 12:49pm On Feb 01, 2008
They are all crap! They shout about Broadband connection, Do people know what broadband speed is? None and then I mean NONE can offer this! As internationally agreed broadband is somewhere between 200 and 256 kbs download speed. Although they claim to have this speed like Netcom they are far from it. Netcom I believe is somewhere in the range of 7 till 30 kbs depending on your luck and if it works! As they were out of service in Ikeja in November for almost 3 THREE weeks! And then the prices! I do not understand that people in Nigeria still accept this to be exploited by companies run and owned by foreigners! This is the post colonialism! WAKE-UP!
Re: The Best ISP In Nigeria? by brightk(m): 1:37pm On Feb 02, 2008
na wa 4 niger. na which day we go even improve for technology.

Anyway sha. i nor get internet for house but i dey try won establish connection. If u are one of the geeks here on nairaland who downloads lots of MB when i mean MB close to GB. Nigerian ISPS nor ger really good bandwith. how i go pay for 128kbps downlink and i go use abt 64kpbs. They dont really have respect for us. they feel we are mugus who dont know what we want.

Besides if their bandwith is expensive and its really superb when using it. what is the point of not connecting from them.

What they do is give us shared bandwith and tell us that we are using broadband. hmmmm broadband indeed. 1M downlin.uplink is what i call broadbrand yet none can even attain that number. Such a pity what do u think abt coneecting outside the shores of Nigeria?
Re: The Best ISP In Nigeria? by brightk(m): 1:59pm On Feb 02, 2008
i do alot of downloading. i am sure torrent users know what i mean. broadband link are from 1MBuplink/downlink. so y are they deceiving themselves
Re: The Best ISP In Nigeria? by kiyama: 1:48pm On Feb 14, 2008
Does any one in the house have an idea how much DOPC monthly subscription for corprate user? please urgent
Re: The Best ISP In Nigeria? by mmonwuba(m): 3:31pm On Feb 14, 2008
@chiekezie

can i have ur no. we need to speak in camera

or if u can call me, 08024981478 or 017330538 it wouldalso be ok
Re: The Best ISP In Nigeria? by jimmyjam: 5:50am On Mar 25, 2008
There are 8 kinds of internet  and internet speeds we get in nigeria for indivdual consumer use which are:

1 dial up: 56kbps ties up your phone line

2.  ISDN (double dial up spped that does not interfere with your phone lines like regular dial up)

3. IDSL (slow speed)  10mbps =  64kbps
4. SDSL (Medium Speed) 10-100 mbps = 64-128kbps
5. ADSL ( fast speed)100-500mbps = 128-512+ kbps

6. cable internet (called fixed wireless internet in nigeria) 80-512kbs

7. VSAT satellite 80-512kbps

8. GPRS i.e GSM internet about the same speed with ISDN

other kinds of internet  in nigeria are T1/T3/DS,  and OC (fiber optic) which range in speed from 500mbps-10gbps = 512kbps - 1gbs+

however these other kinds of internet are only made available to oil companies, govt offices (nigeria armed forces, nitel, mtel, central bank  etc) telecom companies (globacom, mtn, intercellular etc) embassies, internet service providers (cobranet, netcom, iwireless etc) and banks
Re: The Best ISP In Nigeria? by jimmyjam: 6:24am On Mar 25, 2008
The reason internet is expensive in nigeria is because:

1. SAT 3 undersea cable and the nigerian satellites was financed for NITEL by a combination of local nigerian banks and world bank,  this NITEL loan which includes principal and interest is gradually being paid back by you paying a bill that is 3 times that what is charged in u.s and u.k

2. some banks, oil companies and govt virtually don't pay because they are the investors  only individuals and some ISP's do! so you are paying for it to payback for the nitel loan.

3 nitel charges exhorbitant rates (loan + profit for nitel to pay staff and enjoy coke and big treat meat pie etc lol) to ISP's who in turn charge the idividual subscriber high rates

The reason why these highest speed available are provided to these govt offices and bank etc is because they have a higher demand with many branch offices so they bring more business to NITEL than the individual person. also for national security, oil business, communication,  financial (CBN, NSE) and more important need than just  casually surfing the net (individuals).

This means that all things being equal with years to come we should see cheaper rates, more ISP competition etc but with the nigerian factor they may say that fuel prices have made everything go up and may even use that to raise rates further.

The only solutions to bring the price down and  demand for better quality of the service for now are:

1. A Joint law suit with signed petition against nitel , after all if GSM carriers can lose in court over un-refunded minutes and subscribers won the case,  i don't see why it can't be done against NITEL and ISP'S.

2.  The involvement of ITU, IEE, nigerian society of engineers, nigerian computing society, ICAN etc

3.  use of pressure groups such as internet suscribers association of nigeria, consumer protection groups, open letter to minister of communications/NITEL/ISPs addressing this in the newspapers, etc

4 A combination of 3 of the above
Re: The Best ISP In Nigeria? by jimmyjam: 6:42am On Mar 25, 2008
This also means that you will get faster speeds at offices, banks etc than you will get at home locations.

It also means that during the daytime i.e office hrs (from 8am to 5pm) the internet wll be jampacked.

the routers and switches (equipment) that handles internet connections only allow a certain maximum capacity of users at a time. this is similar to how at the end of the month the phone lines are busy because there a max number who can be connected at a time.

This could lead to people (individuals) being disconnected with anything ranging from a few minutes to a week or more (especially at the end of the month)
Re: The Best ISP In Nigeria? by jimmyjam: 11:01pm On Mar 25, 2008
TRX netcom is not owned and run wholly by foreigners. people like atiku have a hand in those kinds of business they use indians, lebanese and europeans as management because they dont want nigerians misbehaving i.e neither the employees nor the customers because they know if its run by nigerians they will not come to work on time or they will employ only their village people etc and things will be even worse then they are now.

However TRX i do agree with you that you and anyone else should get a refund for the 1-2 weeks that you did not have sevice because even though there can be outages as usually stated in the terms and conditions of service contract agreement anything more than 3 days is too long a time for an outage due to equipment failure.

You best bet is to get people who had similar problems to write a petition to the companies management demanding for a partial refund or they can credit your future payments sothat you pay less of thats months bill or follow the steps i outlined above.
Re: The Best ISP In Nigeria? by jimmyjam: 11:28pm On Apr 16, 2008
Infact some companies in nigeria and world wide have started doing this i.e overcharging or doublecharging with the aim of investing the money in some short term investments after which they pay you back your money.
Re: The Best ISP In Nigeria? by nikekenny(m): 1:54pm On Apr 17, 2008
Well you guyz are right, but there is a new ISP now in Abuja, with a cheaper rate, and good connectivity 24/7, they are link directly to intesat. both on C Band and KU band, most dopc customers are now switchin to there network. the name is Tenkoaj Technology Ltd.website, www.tenkoajtechnologyltd.com or mail support@tenkoajtechnologyltd.com or call 08051355133.
some of THEIR CLIENTS ARE
NATIONAL OIL SPILL DETECTION ANGENCY (ABUJA, WARRI, & PH OFFICE)
GICELL, A GIANT TELE COMPANY IN ABUJA
CITY CODE, A MULTIPURPOSE BANK IN ABUJA
ELRUFAI & PARTNER ABUJA
& ABOUT 26 CAFE BOTH IN ABUJA AND OUTSIDE ABUJA.

tHANKS
Re: The Best ISP In Nigeria? by Ekwere(m): 2:58pm On Apr 20, 2008
ONES MAN'S MEAT IS ANOTHER MAN'S POISON.
Anybody that claims that there are no downtimes in internet usage is economical with the truth, you are just here to sell that ISP to the public,don't come here to deceive anybody ok.Has there ever a been a time when you want to use your cellphone to make a call and refuses to connect? That is the same thing with internet connectivity,it fluctuates ok.Even in the advance technological countries,they experience downtime.
I know what I am talking about. I work in an ISP as a Customer Service Officer and I am in the know of the happenstances in the industry.
Talking about the best ISP jare,people should be able to use the best in internet connectivity called WiMAX fixed wireless broadband.
How many of these ISPs have cell sites or BTS all over lagos to provide less congested and efficient service.
There are 3 companies that offer broadband services in Nigeria and there are Swift Networks,IpNX and DoPC and the one that stands out is SWIFT NETWORKS.
Swift Networks offers VPN,VoIP,Broadband Internet to individuals,oil industries,organisations,Banks,Govt parasatals and others too numerous to mention here.
I can only say LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP so that you will not spend and waste your hard earned money on an ISP that is not worth it.
Check this out-www.swiftng.com for more information contact customercare@swiftng.com.
Wishing you a happy time connecting to the internet
Re: The Best ISP In Nigeria? by Lagoshyn: 2:03pm On Jul 05, 2008
I am suprised that DOPC is getting such positive reviews on this message board. I have used their go faster, "night crawler" package for six months and believe me, it really crawls. Oh and if drops and falls as well.

Sometimes I play freecell while waiting for the next window to open.

The service in my opinion is no better than multilinks dial-up which I was using before.

My subscription ends this month and I WILL NOT renew. Can someone recommend a decent isp. I have one computer and the internet service is required for home use.

Many thanks.

PS. Pls keep the technospeak to a minimum in your referals.
Re: The Best ISP In Nigeria? by linksoft: 11:40pm On Nov 14, 2008
Friends I will not agree with you on this matter as an I.T Professional
Please check this out before you start judging ISP in Nigeria.
http://www.jidaw.com/nigeria/nigeria_internet_service_providers_rating.html
Re: The Best ISP In Nigeria? by ade4cool27(m): 6:46pm On Nov 25, 2008
plsss oooooooooo my ear done tear?pls which network did u no that can FEET ME
Re: The Best ISP In Nigeria? by linksoft: 9:53am On Dec 06, 2008
Hi,
You can call this nos 01-2197920 for advice
Re: The Best ISP In Nigeria? by kossy(m): 2:53pm On Apr 21, 2009
Hi all. i have been opportuned to use DoPC, IPNX, mtn, starcomms (all varieties), VGC and Glo internet.  Sincerely yours, this thread made me wish, i had not read all these!

For me ipnx is a wonder but of recent, it has been experiencing downtime more frequently than dopc and besides, u can't get coverage in somolu area.  (very unfair). 

Dopc is ok except for the problem of it triping off occassionally. 

As for the rest, starcomms genie is the best, i do not have the accurate figure of its speed but sure to post later.  i do not know much about glo but i have client who uses the mtn adsl, the speed is from outerworld but it also experiece down time which i do not expect.  vgc is a nightmare, for home use, its fair but office, u better think otherwise.
Finally, i will say it again, i wish i dint see this thread!!!
Re: The Best ISP In Nigeria? by stancozy(m): 3:21pm On Apr 21, 2009
@kossy, you really have not said anything. .what do you really mean by '' i wish i have not seen this thread? and you praised them networks and turn them downside in conclussion? . . Be precise jare
Re: The Best ISP In Nigeria? by otoyin(m): 1:22pm On Apr 22, 2009
Virtually all ISPs in nigeria have good amount of down times. The best bet(though more expensive ) is to have two so that when one is down ,you can switch to the other as the probability of the two going down at the same time is very very low
Re: The Best ISP In Nigeria? by sameolg616(m): 1:36am On Apr 24, 2009
i dont no wh ur all soliciting for all these scammers, they claim its broadband but offer less than that, is it their fault, its like immunity for them as even the body responsible for ensuring they offer quality services aint performing their duties, the isps know 1 sure fact, NIGERIANS ARE DESPERATE, no mata what, we will buy it
Re: The Best ISP In Nigeria? by kacytroy: 12:47am On Apr 25, 2009
plssssssssssss i need som1 2 tell mi if i-zap is fast and good within isolo and ejigbo and if u know any1 dat has used it pls cry cry
Re: The Best ISP In Nigeria? by kossy(m): 7:16pm On Apr 26, 2009
i dont think i said anything. Did i stancozy. Just passing by though
Re: The Best ISP In Nigeria? by lynxnoon(m): 10:37pm On Apr 26, 2009
hmmmm
Re: The Best ISP In Nigeria? by moonraker(m): 1:22am On Apr 27, 2009
@ Jimmyjam

you got that all wrong. my guy,

ADSL can never be 100mbps. it is 50mbps tops.

Cable Internet is not fixed wireless. its is internet gotten thru cable tv signals. talk of vsat and u will not be far away from it.

now, u have fiber optic which is 100mbps up & down. this is only avalibale in japan.

then yu have super fiber optic which is 1GB,

Nigeria is very far away from good internet speeds. using torrent software in nigeria is a joke. nitel has the power to change all that

even with its adsl but nooooooooooo, na to put money for pocket na him dem understand. rubbish,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

USA Used HP Elite Book 840 G3 Core I5 For Sale / Am I The Only One Suffering From Smile 4G LTE. / How To Recover Files From A Dead Computer?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.