Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,642 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:36 PM

Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story (16733 Views)

Man Beaten For Peeping At Couple In Bed / Having Sex With A Lactating Wife-the Implications / I Can Deal With My Wife The Way I Please--chidi Odiah[soccer Star] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story by Mcfemad(m): 2:38pm On May 31, 2011
What really happened? And what didn't happen? Did we get the true story?

Nigerian High Commissioner's Official Response to Allegations

The rumour mills were going into overdrive over the past week when a local newspaper published pictures and a story of the Nigerian High Commissioner's wife's tale of domestic violence and battery from her husband, Dr. Chijoke Wigwe.

In addition, the story has gone viral in blogs, newspapers and international media. The main theme they’re carrying is the story of the battered wife. In all the articles we have seen, none has investigated the story further.

From the article, the wife, Tess Iyi Wigwe accused Dr. Wigwe of battering her repeatedly over 'a dinner argument'. The diplomat is said to have hit her repeatedly, with cuts showing on her bloodied face.

What the journalists have seemingly failed to do is to investigate the other side of the story, which would have been the prudent thing to do, given the nature of diplomatic influence and damage this was going to have.

Sources revealed to us that Mrs. Wigwe has been long separated from her husband, and no longer resides with him permanently. she spends most of her time away from her husband's diplomatic's residence, preferring to live elsewhere. Their two children live with the husband.

However, the story that is emerging is one of battery and violence, with her as the alleged perpetrator.
Our sources further revealed that she has gone so far as to batter domestic staff, drivers and diplomatic residence staff, which has been done repeatedly.In 1998, Mrs. Wigwe was expelled from Japan in a scandal that brought to light the fact that she had assaulted a diplomat from another country. This of course could not be condoned and she was sent packing.

Lately, she has been fighting her husband for property acquired AFTER their separation. She has been picking up cars from the diplomatic residence and sometimes hindering her husband’s movement, forcing him to use taxis in his daily routine and while on social engagements.

What is coming to light is that on finding that her husband purchased property in Nairobi, she contacted a friend of hers, who is a senior staffer at an international organization, and the two allegedly conspired to 'teach him a lesson'.

Our sources informed us that Mrs. Wigwe showed up at the diplomatic residence in the evening, demanding to know why Dr. Wigwe was making purchases such as the residential property without consulting her. She then proceeded to beat and attempted to choke her husband. This is where it emerged that she is the one who has been the harbringer of domestic violence in the marriage. Dr. Wigwe, in his defence is said to have pushed her, and she fell and hit herself on the stairs and banister, injuring her face.

>Mrs. Wigwe, on seeing what happened, is alleged to have smeared the blood all over her face, and then proceeded to take pictures of herself for evidence. She then demanded USD 200,000  and the title deed to the house so as not to release the pictures. Her children are said to have aided to get her out of the house, where she went on to damage the property, breaking windows, ornaments and damaging doors before she left in the company of the same friend who had hatched this plan with her. All this is said to be in evidence at the NHC residence.

The questions that come to mind are as follows:

* Why did Tess Wigwe wait 10 days before reporting the incident to the police?
    * Why did she first run to the press, where she is known to have intimate friends, who published her story?
    * Why did she pause to take pictures of herself, instead of going to secure medical attention, and have the doctors document her injuries?
    * Has Dr. Wigwe said anything to this matter? Reports say that he has always agreed to being in a bad marriage, he has not hidden that fact
    * Have the police bothered to check out the validity of the story
    * Does Mrs. Wigwe have medical records detailing and documenting her injuries, from a neutral source?

While FIDA has come out guns blazing to demand that Dr. Wigwe be arrested and expelled from the country, have they heard the story from the other person in this whole mix? Have they interviewed the children, who more often than not are silent witnesses to what goes on in a marriage?

The media sometimes is biased, taking on the woman's side, even when presented with evidence to the contrary. It is remembered that in the story of Joyce Akinyi and Anthony Chinedy, Akinyi visibly assaulted her husband in the full glare of cameras. No action was ever taken against her in clearly what was a case of domestic violence.
Mrs. Wigwe is known for her hot temper, even in social circles. In 2003, she assaulted a local journalist and another lady for talking to her husband while at an event at the Holiday Inn, Nairobi.

Where do we draw the line?

Do we condemn a man just for the fact that the woman broke the story first? Or do we investigate and hear all sides of the story?

Source: Vibe Weekly, Kenya
Re: Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story by homerac7: 4:15pm On May 31, 2011
hmmm, na wa o!
Re: Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story by Energy48(m): 4:28pm On May 31, 2011
I think society (especially western society) is brainwashed to always see the woman as the victim in a domestic violence situation.
Re: Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story by Adejoro74: 4:44pm On May 31, 2011
Energy48:

I think society (especially western society) is brainwashed to always see the woman as the victim in a domestic violence situation.

In Europe yes, but in the USA, it is not a matter of sex. It is the availability of evidence such as wounds, blood on the face, body etc. Unfortunately the woman was smarter than the man in concocting up physical evidence. I believe this story more than anything the woman will ever tell. Some of them are devil incarnates.
Re: Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story by Energy48(m): 5:02pm On May 31, 2011
Personally, with this particular story, I am more inclined to believe the Hubby's side of the story simply because of the extent the wife went to destroy the family name.

Think about it, she has five children for this man but her actions shows she did not care that dragging his name in the mud would leave a lasting damaging effect on her own children. If the husband beat her as she alleged, she should simply have reported the matter to the Police and let them deal with him. Not so this Jezebel, she chose to go the press first with her story. WHY? What did she aim to get by doing so apart from destroying his career? What sort of caring mother with five kids for a hard working husband would carry on like this please?
Re: Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story by ektbear: 6:27pm On May 31, 2011
hrm
Re: Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story by oderemo(m): 6:33pm On May 31, 2011
the oda side of the story. hmmmm
Re: Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story by Fhemmmy: 6:39pm On May 31, 2011
Inasmuch as i do agree that investigation is needed, however, nothing should make a man touch the woman, nothing at all . . . even if you wanna defend yourself, do that but still dont beat the woman . . . .
Re: Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story by Adejoro74: 6:45pm On May 31, 2011
Fhemmmy:

Inasmuch as i do agree that investigation is needed, however, nothing should make a man touch the woman, nothing at all . . . even if you wanna defend yourself, do that but still dont beat the woman . . . . 

How do you defend yourself? The story is that the man pushed her away from him and she fell and got injured? Some women are so strong (and the man appears to be smallish, from the photos we have seen) that you need more than 'defending yourself'' to put a check on them. Did you not read that she attacked him first, trying to strangle him? If he had died in her stranglehold, she would probably look for a cover up story to tell, seeing that it happened in an African country where in most cases no autopsies are conducted after death.
Re: Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story by otokx(m): 7:08pm On May 31, 2011
What a wicked witch of a woman and her evil, demonic children. The man should have divorced her and then disowned those children fast and marry a Sapele girl.
Re: Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story by 2mch(m): 8:08pm On May 31, 2011
I seriously doubt this mans story. I know no Nigerian man will let a woman repeatedly destroy his house and come in and out like that freely, over and over again after they have been separated. This man is a liar. He has obviously been doing this for years. There is no excuse, he should face stiff penalties. Even have his pension revoked. He clearly beat that woman up. Look at the face, there are lumps on her face.
Re: Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story by DisGuy: 8:26pm On May 31, 2011
Energy48:

Personally, with this particular story, I am more inclined to believe the Hubby's side of the story simply because of the extent the wife went to destroy the family name.

Think about it, she has five children for this man but her actions shows she did not care that dragging his name in the mud would leave a lasting damaging effect on her own children. If the husband beat her as she alleged, she should simply have reported the matter to the Police and let them deal with him. Not so this Jezebel, she chose to go the press first with her story. WHY? What did she aim to get by doing so apart from destroying his career? What sort of caring mother with five kids for a hard working husband would carry on like this please?

YES I totally agree with you, the family name is much more important than her life! Nigerian women are well known for taking a few punches well in the mouth

The father is the one paying the school fees anyway so the kids wont mind the occassional black eye on their own mother
Re: Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story by Dede1(m): 8:54pm On May 31, 2011
The ambassador should have included public unclothedness in addition to alleged beating of the estranged wife to signify complete devoice from the foolish woman.
Re: Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story by MaiSuya(m): 9:48pm On May 31, 2011
interesting twist
Re: Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story by solihu(m): 10:15pm On May 31, 2011
If this man's story is true. I sincerely pray & wish that he miraculously wriggles out of it.For sure nothing will ever blot out that experience for the rest of his life.

For the married/ unmarried fellas in the house, please learn to walk away sometimes when dialogue isn't yeilding the desired result. You just might be dealing with a tiger/tigress in disguise.
Re: Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story by texazzpete(m): 10:15pm On May 31, 2011
Haha! So you cretins are swallowing this cooked up story hook, line and sinker!
I'm not surprised though. Most of you that have responded so far are not known for your intelligence.  grin

'fell down the stairs' indeed!
Re: Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story by lucabrasi(m): 10:32pm On May 31, 2011
we shouldnt be blinded by emotions and stick to the facts,the woman definitely did not fall down the stairs it is obvious from both accounts that they have both had a tumultuous relationship,however there is absolutely nothing that can justify not only smacking a woman around but in front of the children.
did the man consider the negative psychological effect its having on his children/what if the cycle of domestic violence continues with his children when they r married?
if a woman/wife gets you that upset,leave the house and ignore her rantings and i bet she will quiet down and leave out of her own accord,besides for the woman to still have full and free access to the house even many years after they had been living separately means they at least get on well with each other
Re: Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story by Seun(m): 12:49am On Jun 01, 2011
I'm sorry, but I don't buy this story. The Ambassador could have paid his reporter friends to lie.
Re: Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story by Energy48(m): 12:52am On Jun 01, 2011
texazzpete:

Haha! So you cretins are swallowing this cooked up story hook, line and sinker!
I'm not surprised though. Most of you that have responded so far are not known for your intelligence.  grin

'fell down the stairs' indeed!

Where did you read that she fell down the stairs?

Ain't it ironic that with your limited comprehension skills, you should be the one questioning the intelligence of others who read, understood and responded appropriately to what was said. grin
Re: Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story by Seun(m): 1:13am On Jun 01, 2011
I will only believe the story if his children are interviewed and they confirm the story.
That's all. And also, if they vouch for their dad and say he never battered their mum before.
Re: Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story by jumobi1(m): 1:17am On Jun 01, 2011
I almost understand why the Ambassador let her back. I think its almost required for an Ambassador to have a wife. It's like a plus. Trust me, they'll post a married man over a single man as an ambassador. Plus you get more money as a married diplomat.
Maybe thats why he brought her back.

She almost ruined his career IMO
Re: Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story by Seun(m): 1:44am On Jun 01, 2011
I've read the man's official statement and I now believe his story.
Re: Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story by DisGuy: 1:47am On Jun 01, 2011
so because of political appointment he stuck to a wife he didnt get on with?

she almost ruined his career? he almost ruined her life!

Seun:

I will only believe the story if his children are interviewed and they confirm the story.
That's all. And also, if they vouch for their dad and say he never battered their mum before.

the man pays the school fees and air tickets, you think they will ever say anything against their dad? haaa
you dont think they like using the phrase ' do you know who my daddy is'? wink

1 Like

Re: Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story by pereze: 2:04am On Jun 01, 2011
It is clear that the diplomat must have hired a good lawyer to come up this kind of story. Be that as it may, I still believe both sides are yet to tell us the genesis of their problem. Reading from 'revelation' without telling us some 'Acts' no make real sense at all.
Me I no fit shout, I de make midnight call!
Re: Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story by Nobody: 2:04am On Jun 01, 2011
How convenient! "He pushed her and she hit her face on the bannister"?? bull to the shi*. It would have been believable if he said he put in a couple of punches in response and claim self defence or something, the woman comes off as a winch if u asked me!
Re: Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story by adebayo111: 2:06am On Jun 01, 2011
Hypocrite. If u ave never slap a woman before in ur life, cast the first stone.
Re: Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story by DisGuy: 2:23am On Jun 01, 2011
adebayo111:

Hypocrite. If u ave never slap a woman before in your life, cast the first stone.

Where are you so i can stone your Neanderthal head, cant even remember slapping a man before
Re: Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story by jidody(m): 2:34am On Jun 01, 2011
I know of a former military administrator that invited his estranged wife to join him as first lady and when his tenure ended, they parted ways again. For some of these high profile appointments, you need to be seen to be able to maintain a family. Its even a pre-requisite for some appointments.

By the way, there are thousands of fake marriages out there. Husband and wife just living together for the sake of living together.
Re: Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story by DisGuy: 2:44am On Jun 01, 2011
True but theres nothing against having a second wife or a new wife? As long as your represent a family front

I doubt if their appointment will be withdrawn afterwards if they decide to separate or marry a new wife

Obasanjo obviously had several
Re: Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story by SweetT1: 2:50am On Jun 01, 2011
I'm tired of these Ibo people, husband beat wife today. The wife retaliated tomorrow and vice versa. GEJ should have known this was going to happen.
Re: Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story by Nobody: 2:54am On Jun 01, 2011
I will personally flog any child of mines that brings home an Igbo man. I'll let her feel what she'll be getting daily from her Igbo husband.

Ah ahn, beat wife to the point of unrecognizable.
Re: Wigwe (Beaten Ambassador's Wife): The Other Side Of The Story by musiwa46: 2:56am On Jun 01, 2011
nigeria politician became so bad that nigeria politician tried to frame me.
Got so bad, they used a nigeria church , which have lost the glory of God and became greedy for money.  I got confuse is it because of banks owner or newspaper owner. who tried everything. We are talking of lifes of 15,000,000 millions.

The bible says what shall it profit a man , if he gain the whole world and lost his soul.  When pastor because of govt contract or govt bribe  became so bad. lie and deceive church member. it is a shame.  because nobody want rival. The church is not a business.
When churches now become place of fraud. and looking to destroy other people life. Are this still men of God. or scam artist.

all because i said, they should remove edo,delta and yorubaland to benin republic , so that we can save the lifes of millions of people.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

S.O.S. Saving The 'Black Family' From Extinction. / Would You Stay In The Labor Room With Your Wife?! / Why Do Parents Pressure Their Daughters To Marry?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.