Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,988 members, 7,817,911 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:40 PM

My Close Encounter With 419 Men - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / My Close Encounter With 419 Men (31183 Views)

My Close Friend Was Butchered / Police Burst Lagos 419 Syndicate’s Shrine In Osogbo (pics) / My Encounter With 'Dreaded' SARS Operatives In Lagos; Man Narrates His Ordeal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Close Encounter With 419 Men by Petyprincess(f): 7:03pm On Oct 15, 2021
Same situation happened to me 3 years ago, similar format.
Mine happened around maryland bustop, I was going to iyanapaja and was waiting for bus, luckily, a commercial cab approached me which I hopped in immediately because I was running out of time but he didn't even wait to pick other passengers which I asked why he replied they are not going to the same location, that was the number 1 red flag.

I was sitting at the front sit, few minutes of driving, a man stopped the car and he sat at the back and few minutes he came down and gave the man a fake 100 dollars as payment and pretended to leave which I called the passenger, then the cab man said paying 100 dollars is too expensive for a cab that he should change the money to naira, the man started saying he has many dollars in his pockets and at his hotel around airport side, so they were trying to involve me the unaware victim of the day which I advised the man to change it at the bank which they stylishly refused, so he started telling me stories of how he is a business man from Cotonou and came to Nigeria for business and needs a trustworthy person like me to handle his money and be his secretary blah blah blah, the driver started asking me my parents occupation to know if I was a big fish grin

So the driver got down from the cab claiming he wants to get sachet water, as he got down the so called Cotonou man told me to come to the back sit that he does not trust the driver, that he believes and trust me since I am a Christian and will want me to handle changing the money to naira, so suddenly something opened my eyes and I realised this is not normal, he said I should follow him to his hotel room where his so called dollars are and I told him we should gett down from the car to discuss better claiming I couldn't hear him clearly, as I got down i ran like my life depends on it grin

Few minutes the stupid dricer came and they were discussing, he was probably asking why I left because I was watching them from afar, so they drove off together.

Thank God for opening my eyes and didn't let covetousness to close my sense of reasoning, something bad could have happened to me but I thank God.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Close Encounter With 419 Men by Goalnaldo(m): 7:05pm On Oct 15, 2021
pocohantas:

Please keep quiet, you first-to-comment-politics-section-hoodlum. I said he asked me in Igbo. That should tell you I transcribed his question into English for the sake of non-Igbo readers. His question and my response were both in Igbo. Anything tribal, your antenna will just stand.
Your mouth ehn grin
Re: My Close Encounter With 419 Men by jaxxy(m): 7:06pm On Oct 15, 2021
U are very lucky. They usually go for lonely gals and greedy men. That’s how they hypnotized and defrauded a family friends daughter. She came home took all her mother’s gold and 50k in the house went back to give those scumbags. It was on her way back home she released what she had done.

3 Likes

Re: My Close Encounter With 419 Men by tradepunter: 7:08pm On Oct 15, 2021
TarOrfeeek:

Someone saying "Nne" to you.

And you know he speaks your language

Like if a one chance thief says "Omo".

I'll then conclude that he speaks Yoruba.

False generalisation.

Only God will save from the path you are on. Because it can only end bad with your tribal bigotry
Re: My Close Encounter With 419 Men by 2braithe: 7:08pm On Oct 15, 2021
fatymore:
lol

If you know it's "lol" you want to reply with, don't bother replying.
Re: My Close Encounter With 419 Men by DBestDoc(f): 7:10pm On Oct 15, 2021
Thank God you didn’t fall for their scam.
I’m surprised they’re still using this very outdated format they used on me more than 10yrs ago when I was still a teenager. Dirty old dumb criminals.

Same Cotonou returnee story, same asking for direction to a place no one knows.
While trying to crack my brain to figure out where the very haggard looking man that claimed he was stranded was looking for, his accomplice walks up to me from behind asking that WE help the stranded man, that he had money and plenty expensive gadgets. I didn’t even know what help I was supposed to render to the man.

I believe those guys use some hypnotic powers on their victims. The longer you listen to them, the more they work on your mind convincing you to do something you’d ordinarily not do.

In my case, I accepted to help a man I didn’t know exactly how and what to help with. They managed to convince me to follow them to a Reverend father’s place ( whatever that is) but then, i made a U turn in the direction of my house. The moment I left their presence, it was as if my mind became clearer and alert and it dawned on me those were scammers.

Stay woke everyone.
Do not let one jobless illiterate rip you off your sweat

5 Likes

Re: My Close Encounter With 419 Men by Kalubolt(m): 7:10pm On Oct 15, 2021
Lolz, all this ones still dey use olden days format.
My first experience with them I chop their #200 sara.
Back in 2000 I just finished secondary school and was looking for menial jobs before I take my jamb. I lived with my parents at Ojo town close to LASU.
So I went to mile 2 estate to look for work but didn't see any. Hunger and sun don hammer me wella. So as I was strolling at mile 2 Oke (up) a guy approached me and asked me if I knew where Apapa wharf is?
I angrily pointed at where wharf bus are loading and walked away from him.
I haven't even taking upto 10 steps another one approached me and asked me what that man was asking me (pointing to the first guy) I looked at him and immediately stories from my dad and mum about 419ers and their way of scamming people just entered my head. I strong my mind and decided to play along. I told the 2nd guy that he asked me where Apapa wharf is and I directed him where to get bus. He told me the guy has met him too and told him he just came back from Senegal and he has some goods at the wharf.
I smile within me and told myself "na dem".
I told him so, what do you want me to do? He said why don't we try to assist him maybe we will get something from there. I said ok let's go and meet him and hear what he has to say and what he can offer us. We both whistle the first guy to come and he quickly rush to where we were. So the discussion started. He has some large goods at the port worth millions of naira but needed money to clear them. Ehen! So you get goods worth millions and you no get kobo to clear them, na wao I said to him.
The other guy told me to calm down that it can happen to anyone.
I told him I know, that he should help him with the money nah.
He said he too doesn't have. I said ehen, if two of una wey be men and senior me by far no get money, na me 20yr old boy wey just finished secondary school go come get money. They said they know I may not have but don't I know where my father or mother keeps money. Immediately I answered them of course I know but no be my money nah. They said yes it's not my money but if I go and bring it and the clear the goods that after selling the goods they'll give me times 10 of the money. I rubbed my two hands with joy and clean my mouth exclaiming "wow this na good news o" I then told them I know where my dad and mum keeps plenty plenty money, that like how much should I bring? They said I should bring plenty if possible all of them.
I said no problem let me start going, they said yes that I should be fast that they will be here waiting for me (they pointed at one kiosk). After walking like 15 steps, I came back to where they were. They were like oboy wetin happen nah, why you come back? I told them make una no vex our place dey for Badagry and I no get transport like this. They then said wetin you come do for mile 2 wey be say na Badagry you dey stay and how you wan take go house before. I told them I came to look for job but I didn't see and that whenever I want to go home I used to beg conductors until anyone will help me home.
So they then said how much will I need to go to Badagry? I told them #200 will take me to and fro sharp sharp. They ask me again if I am sure I know where my mom and dad keeps money, I nodded saying very sure. So one of them gave me the #200. And said I should start going and be fast. I collected the money happily and came down from mile 2 Oke and pretended to enter bus going to Badagry cus they were watching me. The bus moved but as we were getting to Durbar junction of mile 2 estate, I told the driver to pls stop that I have forgotten something, hahaha.
The driver stopped and I came down walk straight to Iya Belgium food canteen hahahaha. Anybody who knows mile 2 very well or went to any of those secondary schools at Ecomog will know "Belgium Food canteen" it's still in existence till now.
Me I went to Belgium food canteen and wack to my satisfaction "telling them in my say na God go punish them". Me wey dem born for Lagos and I don dey waka waka since I was 10yrs old na im wan stupid people wan scam and put for trouble. I reach area in the evening go explain to my guys, na laugh we just dey laugh thru out that night.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Close Encounter With 419 Men by Goalnaldo(m): 7:12pm On Oct 15, 2021
Octopusssy:
Very very old format. I'm amazed they're still using the format.

The last time I was in their middle, I told them I was married to a Ghanaian and didn't really know my way around Lagos. Meanwhile I was buying time, waiting for them to get as close as possible to my nearest bus stop because no way in God's green earth was I going to pay for this particular trip.

I smiled serenely while the fools jabbered away in excitement (they thought they don catch maga), occasionally nodding my head in agreement to the horse shït they were spewing. The recurrent motif in their antics is the bewildered French man who doesn't know he is supposed to pay for services with Naira, not USD, or the more common fleeing thief who has fled with his oga's box/bag of dollars. They are willing to give you a cut but you must go to one baba's house to swear an oath of secrecy.

As soon as I got to Ikeja Along, I hopped out of the vehicle James Bond style, spread my two hands at them and shrieked waka!! The driver asked me for fare and I screamed "All of una dey craze. 419!!" I then proceeded to quickly cross the expressway like a seasoned NURTW thug and went on my merry way.

Hediots. Them wan scam Omo Eko. Their very fathers angry
You are a gifted writer. I enjoyed your write up.

2 Likes

Re: My Close Encounter With 419 Men by Octopusssy(f): 7:15pm On Oct 15, 2021
Goalnaldo:
You are a gifted writer. I enjoyed your write up.
Tengz
Re: My Close Encounter With 419 Men by Prettychild(f): 7:16pm On Oct 15, 2021
pocohantas:
I have a bag of money, foreign currency…”

It is almost Christmas, evil men and women are on the prowl. Let’s all be careful and not drop our guards no matter how they disguise.
Thank God for saving you
Re: My Close Encounter With 419 Men by tradepunter: 7:19pm On Oct 15, 2021
Octopusssy:
Very very old format. I'm amazed they're still using the format.

The last time I was in their middle, I told them I was married to a Ghanaian and didn't really know my way around Lagos. Meanwhile I was buying time, waiting for them to get as close as possible to my nearest bus stop because no way in God's green earth was I going to pay for this particular trip.

I smiled serenely while the fools jabbered away in excitement (they thought they don catch maga), occasionally nodding my head in agreement to the horse shït they were spewing. The recurrent motif in their antics is the bewildered French man who doesn't know he is supposed to pay for services with Naira, not USD, or the more common fleeing thief who has fled with his oga's box/bag of dollars. They are willing to give you a cut but you must go to one baba's house to swear an oath of secrecy.

As soon as I got to Ikeja Along, I hopped out of the vehicle James Bond style, spread my two hands at them and shrieked waka!! The driver asked me for fare and I screamed "All of una dey craze. 419!!" I then proceeded to quickly cross the expressway like a seasoned NURTW thug and went on my merry way.

Hediots. Them wan scam Omo Eko. Their very fathers angry

Hahahah grin grin

I know say all of una for this lagos get madness

1 Like

Re: My Close Encounter With 419 Men by Octopusssy(f): 7:19pm On Oct 15, 2021
Kalubolt:
Lolz, all this ones still dey use olden days format.
My first experience with them I chop their #200 sara.
Back in 2000 I just finished secondary school and was looking for menial jobs before I take my jamb. I lived with my parents at Ojo town close to LASU.
So I went to mile 2 estate to look for work but didn't see any. Hunger and sun don hammer me wella. So as I was strolling at mile 2 Oke (up) a guy approached me and asked me if I knew where Apapa wharf is?
I angrily pointed at where wharf bus are loading and walked away from him.
I haven't even taking upto 10 steps another one approached me and asked me what that man was asking me (pointing to the first guy) I looked at him and immediately stories from my dad and mum about 419ers and their way of scamming people just entered my head. I strong my mind and decided to play along. I told the 2nd guy that he asked me where Apapa wharf is and I directed him where to get bus. He told me the guy has met him too and told him he just came back from Senegal and he has some goods at the wharf.
I smile within me and told myself "na dem".
I told him so, what do you want me to do? He said why don't we try to assist him maybe we will get something from there. I said ok let's go and meet him and hear what he has to say and what he can offer us. We both whistle the first guy to come and he quickly rush to where we were. So the discussion started. He has some large goods at the port worth millions of naira but needed money to clear them. Ehen! So you get goods worth millions and you no get kobo to clear them, na wao I said to him.
The other guy told me to calm down that it can happen to anyone.
I told him I know, that he should help him with the money nah.
He said he too doesn't have. I said ehen, if two of una wey be men and senior me by far no get money, na me 20yr old boy wey just finished secondary school go come get money. They said they know I may not have but don't I know where my father or mother keeps money. Immediately I answered them of course I know but no be my money nah. They said yes it's not my money but if I go and bring it and the clear the goods that after selling the goods they'll give me times 10 of the money. I rubbed my two hands with joy and clean my mouth exclaiming "wow this na good news o" I then told them I know where my dad and mum keeps plenty plenty money, that like how much should I bring? They said I should bring plenty if possible all of them.
I said no problem let me start going, they said yes that I should be fast that they will be here waiting for me (they pointed at one kiosk). After walking like 15 steps, I came back to where they were. They were like oboy wetin happen nah, why you come back? I told them make una no vex our place dey for Badagry and I no get transport like this. They then said wetin you come do for mile 2 wey be say na Badagry you dey stay and how you wan take go house before. I told them I came to look for job but I didn't see and that whenever I want to go home I used to beg conductors until anyone will help me home.
So they then said how much will I need to go to Badagry? I told them #200 will take me to and fro sharp sharp. They ask me again if I am sure I know where my mom and dad keeps money, I nodded saying very sure. So one of them gave me the #200. And said I should start going and be fast. I collected the money happily and came down from mile 2 Oke and pretended to enter bus going to Badagry cus they were watching me. The bus moved but as we were getting to Durbar junction of mile 2 estate, I told the driver to pls stop that I have forgotten something, hahaha.
The driver stopped and I came down walk straight to Iya Belgium food canteen hahahaha. Anybody who knows mile 2 very well or went to any of those secondary schools at Ecomog will know "Belgium Food canteen" it's still in existence till now.
Me I went to Belgium food canteen and wack to my satisfaction "telling them in my say na God go punish them". Me wey dem born for Lagos and I don dey waka waka since I was 10yrs old na im wan stupid people wan scam and put for trouble. I reach area in the evening go explain to my guys, na laugh we just dey laugh thru out that night.
Bushmeat catch the hunter.

But guy, wetin you dey look wey you enter 20 years in secondary school?

1 Like

Re: My Close Encounter With 419 Men by fatymore(f): 7:20pm On Oct 15, 2021
2braithe:

If you know it's "lol" you want to reply with, don't bother replying.
lol
Re: My Close Encounter With 419 Men by 2braithe: 7:24pm On Oct 15, 2021
Re: My Close Encounter With 419 Men by 2braithe: 7:26pm On Oct 15, 2021
Octopusssy:

During that period, that's the average age people finish.

Unlike now that a 14 year old is writing JAMB

1 Like

Re: My Close Encounter With 419 Men by Octopusssy(f): 7:29pm On Oct 15, 2021
2braithe:

During that period, that's the average age people finish.

Unlike now that a 14 year old is writing JAMB
2000 was almost around the same time I finished too, and trust me, the average age was 16, not 20.

2 Likes

Re: My Close Encounter With 419 Men by luizpippo(m): 7:33pm On Oct 15, 2021
Part two happened in Abuja in 2006.

I was coming from FMW, Mabushi, i boarded a bus to Jabi garage and then took a cab alongside one guy who got down from the bus with me.

We met 2 people alongside the driver in the cab, as we got to Jabi Upstairs the guy we boarded together alighted before the turn, so immediately the cab passed the turn, the guy left in the back with me said he wants to alight, the driver got angry, complaining about why didn't he alight when the other guy did.

Driver parked and the guy said he want to take his bag from the boot, driver provided further, asking if he is truly the owner of the bag, and why didn't he answer when he asked for the owner when he asked at Wuse market, the driver claimed to have seen plenty dollars inside the Ghana must go because the woman:s tomatoes basket tore the bag abit.

Immediately i felt pity for myself and the fellow in front since i decoded that the driver and the bag owner are in cahoot, in their haste to lie, the driver claimed the guy said the bag had books and clothes in it( mind you, the same bag the driver earlier feigned ignorance of) while the guy claimed it contains clothes and plates, contradicting themselves.

I had serious headache so i was able to calm down, then the driver started interrogating the guy, the guy went from saying his ova sent him to give the money to one alhaji to saying his ova went to Mecca, gave him clothes to wash, he saw a key inside one and the key opened a certain door, where he saw dollars and so he stole some and fled Kano to Abuja.

All this while the vehicle was going slow mo, i kept quiet, driver threatened to take the guy to his union people or police, that was when the guy in front intervened, he pleaded with the driver, called the guy a thief, called the phantom alhaji a thief also and said since we know of the money already, lets just go and share it, immediately, i knew he has fuc.ked up, that he is a part of them, so i was the only victim, when he finished talking he asked what do i think?

I asked if he was referring to me, grin grin ;Dhe answered in the affirmative, then i said what i think is the driver should park and allow the guy alight with his bag that all this talks in unnecessary, because my plan is if he park, i am flying out, the guy sparked, cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy asking me if i am not a Nigeria in need of money, that this is part of the national cake, i told him, my own national cake cannot be in a taxi like this.

That shut them up forever, cheesy cheesy

Then the driver asked where do i want to alight, i told him Airport junction before Life camp, when i came down, i went to the front passenger door, beat my chest and told him point blank.......He no work. grin grin grin

8 Likes

Re: My Close Encounter With 419 Men by Kalubolt(m): 7:35pm On Oct 15, 2021
Octopusssy:

Hahahaha, actually I finish secondary school in 1998 but still waiting for admission till 2001 before I got admitted into Auchi Poly.
Re: My Close Encounter With 419 Men by Kalubolt(m): 7:39pm On Oct 15, 2021
Octopusssy:

Abeg eh Octopussy, I have been reading from this forum for over 15yrs but just got registered last year and started commenting this year. I am big time story teller but real and fiction, and they are very very interesting. Pls how do one make a post on this forum and which section best fit it
Re: My Close Encounter With 419 Men by Octopusssy(f): 7:43pm On Oct 15, 2021
Kalubolt:

Abeg eh Octopussy, I have been reading from this forum for over 15yrs but just got registered last year and started commenting this year. I am big time story teller but real and fiction, and they are very very interesting. Pls how do one make a post on this forum and which section best fit it
https://www.nairaland.com/literature

1 Like

Re: My Close Encounter With 419 Men by Octopusssy(f): 7:44pm On Oct 15, 2021
Kalubolt:

Hahahaha, actually I finish secondary school in 1998 but still waiting for admission till 2001 before I got admitted into Auchi Poly.
Ehen. Now it makes sense wink

1 Like

Re: My Close Encounter With 419 Men by 2braithe: 7:49pm On Oct 15, 2021
Octopusssy:

2000 was almost around the same time I finished too, and trust me, the average age was 16, not 20.

Really??

If you had said 18,then I might agree.
Re: My Close Encounter With 419 Men by Kalubolt(m): 7:56pm On Oct 15, 2021
Octopusssy:

https://www.nairaland.com/literature
Thank you, I appreciate. You are the first person on this forum I am having interaction with
Re: My Close Encounter With 419 Men by tuna85: 8:29pm On Oct 15, 2021
pocohantas:

Please keep quiet, you first-to-comment-politics-section-hoodlum. I said he asked me in Igbo. That should tell you I transcribed his question into English for the sake of non-Igbo readers. His question and my response were both in Igbo. Anything tribal, your antenna will just stand.

grin grin grin
Re: My Close Encounter With 419 Men by emdis: 8:46pm On Oct 15, 2021
Hahaha
2braithe:

Which one is big legs?
Yam leg is yam leg biko
Re: My Close Encounter With 419 Men by emdis: 8:48pm On Oct 15, 2021
They're kinda cute tho!
BKsoul:
You for kuku say we dey suffer elephantiasis.... ori e ti daru...
abeg interpret the last sentence.
Re: My Close Encounter With 419 Men by Impregnable101: 9:03pm On Oct 15, 2021
Southfynest:
Damn Nigarr guy aka slawomir is not a street boy o... How street boy dey drag first page for Nairaland morning to night.

Na one jobless fellow wey go likely still dey for e mama house.
lol
Re: My Close Encounter With 419 Men by Lordofalmajiri(f): 9:04pm On Oct 15, 2021
I never jam people like this before, maybe cause I no dey talk to anybody if I enter motor
Re: My Close Encounter With 419 Men by streetzdreamz(m): 9:08pm On Oct 15, 2021
Octopusssy:

If they are not using jazz then it is only greed and naivete that can make you fall into their trap
True.
Re: My Close Encounter With 419 Men by openmine(m): 9:13pm On Oct 15, 2021
OLDESTWARRIBOY:
Back in 2008 or 09 there about, they got my sister. Shit wasn't funny

She was hypnotized, she came home looking stress & anxious went to where my mom hides her money (which no one in the house knew about). She took the money and Japa!!

She later came back crying saying she couldn't stop herself and they were the ones who told her where the money is!!

OP, you are lucky.. thanks to God. Hope you will be dropping a new cooking tutorial soon to celebrate!!
I really dont think she was hypnotized! I may be wrong!
She just didn't want to tell you the whole truth behind her earlier action which would have made her look fatuous and greedy!
The humongous money the scammers quoted increased her greed hence she went out to get more money to buy more chemicals to print 1000 naira notes!
The same scenario happened to a friend of mine some years ago.....She initially said it was 'jazz' but later confessed that greed took over her esp when the guy used a blank paper with some kind of chemical and instantly changed it into a 1000 naira note!

1 Like

Re: My Close Encounter With 419 Men by Octopusssy(f): 9:18pm On Oct 15, 2021
2braithe:

Really??

If you had said 18,then I might agree.
Nope, 16.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Civilian And Traffic Warden Fight In Ajegunle (Photos) / Muslim Man Kills Wife(for reading bible) And Buries Daughters Alive / Okposi Community Curse Murderers Of FGC Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.