Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,365 members, 7,826,432 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:14 PM

Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name (13954 Views)

I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? / My Younger Brother Wants To Finance My Wedding. / He Got My Sister Pregnant, Rejected It, Now He Wants The Child 16 Years After (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name by Nobody: 4:22pm On Oct 16, 2021
Walk-in into any law firm and request to speak to a lawyer for best legal advice to implement.

Your lawyer should a get restraining order from the court and serve him with the court order which will definitely stop him from moving forward with such thoughts except if your late father has a will that willed the family land to him then he is at liberty to do as he pleases.

Best of luck.
Re: Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name by EndBuhariNow(m): 4:23pm On Oct 16, 2021
Go and make money and use third party to buy the land, do you know who taught me this Obinna Iyiegbu AKA obi na Yankee., I remembered that very December we were dragging our late grandpa lands in the village , sharing formula parts , my aged dad being the first son his brothers and sons want to override him merely because non of his sons were in the country , me being the last male available son , I refused to allow them cheat the old man, umunna were invited to help share the land when we couldn't solve it within our inner selves, chief obinna were in village for Christmas, him being one of my umunna, he drove in with his elder brother because nah normal thing , and they were there when the peaceful meeting nearly turned to fight between me and my cousins because I insist in the rightful sharing formula as my father being the first son, not that my uncles don't have lands they bought with their money, they have but they want their aged brother my father to lose everything, when all these where going on, he obi called me by my name , we went outside he started, my brother leave all these family lands , if I keep dragging it from today till next year it will not lead me anywhere , you should be more concern with ur future, leave them let them share it equally as they wishes, he said, do you look at ur uncle's son Most especially the senior among them, I replied yes, he told me , go and make money, one day that guy will start selling all these lands, and then you reclaimed what belongs to your father with money, that very advice hit the innermost of my brain , he told me how they refused to give him ani obi when he haven't made money, he left them in anger , but he said, look at me now, I have bought all their lands with money , I just allow them to have their way, I left village that very day back to my base with ange , i didn't even told my parents am leaving that obi's phrase made me more aggressive towards money, I refuse to bow to pressure even when the chips are very down , I keep pushing until till this very day , fast forward to present day, as I was talking to you that advice has came to reality, that my cousins being a drug addict , a graduate for that matter, he refused to work, refused to do business refused to travel overseas merely because old money and properties their father has, are still giving him high hope, the father has shared his properties among his sons , him being the first son, got the lion share from him, and a junky, village tout who refuses to leave the village despite his parents still leaving in township, he has started selling his own share, I have bought 3 plots from him using 3rd party, and still eyeing other properties he will likely auction to the highest bidder, leave ur brother if you can take my advice, make money, if you want to buy land in front of Aso Rock, once u have that money you will buy it...
Re: Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name by legba1(m): 4:23pm On Oct 16, 2021
OP where are you from pls... If you are igbo, then he is absolutely entitled.. Don't stand in his way to avoid battle...
Re: Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name by ba2remagaji: 4:31pm On Oct 16, 2021
Don't agree with him,if the survey carries his name he is automatically the owner of the land.let the survey carry your father name and sign by all male children with elder from the family as a witness
Eleken:
My late dad's land... my step elder brother wants to carry land survey on the property and he want the documents to carry his name...

The first son... 5 boys from his mother side and 3 boys from my mother side.

The document bearing his name, the right approach?

He's the first son of my dad.
Is there any cause for alarm..?
My mum just called now to inform me about it.

Mod help me please.. Lawyers in the house please.
What are the right approach to go about this.
Thanks...
Re: Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name by troubleshooter: 4:31pm On Oct 16, 2021
Eleken:
My late dad's land... my step elder brother wants to carry land survey on the property and he want the documents to carry his name...

The implication is that every other document you want to do henceforth will refer to the survey and the name on it (your stepbrother's) .you just handed him all privileges on the land
Re: Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name by Watty26: 4:33pm On Oct 16, 2021
The survey is good and excellent. The brother of yours is out for something hidden. Why can't he let the document bear your father's name? Allowing him is automatically giving him legal rightful owner of the land.
I may be wrong to say but brother be careful of such man. He can go any length to get u people offline to inherit the property.
Eleken:

Thanks...
Re: Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name by numericalguy(m): 4:35pm On Oct 16, 2021
dominique:

Two women can't be legally married to one man, one marriage will not be recognized by the law. Did your father not leave a will? If your eldest brother was a responsible person, he ought to have liquidated the property and shared it amongst you all regardless of gender. If he's the very greedy type, just remove your hands from the property. Perops like that can go extra lengths to make sure you don't stop him from claiming the property.

Stop lying. You are a big fat liar.
Re: Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name by numericalguy(m): 4:37pm On Oct 16, 2021
Crochet:
He might be ur step brother but he is the first son. So respect him but on the other hand changing ur dad name to his own name that I don't support. But note that he has the right to sell the land and equally share it amongst you guys, but as per tradition I dont know if the ladies re entitled to any of their father properties.

It is a family issue and he alone cannot make decisions for the rest of the family.
Re: Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name by Slurity(m): 4:37pm On Oct 16, 2021
Eleken:

Thanks...
The land can only bear your father's name until the land is shared or sold to be shared among siblings. It is clear he has a hidden motive.
Re: Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name by redsun(m): 4:38pm On Oct 16, 2021
If your father didn't leave a will,your father's things automatically become his according to the traditions of most tribes in Nigeria. It is not fair, but it's the tradition. That is why you should always strive to be a man of your own. If your father was well-off, you should have sorted yourself before he pegged.
Re: Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name by Nobody: 4:39pm On Oct 16, 2021
legba1:
OP where are you from pls... If you are igbo, then he is absolutely entitled.. Don't stand in his way to avoid battle...

Which faculty of law taught you this?

I know there are traditions and I also know that not all traditions are legally binding and can be challenged in a court of law.

A family land can also be sold and the proceeds gets distributed amongst the family members of the late family head and such verdicts have been made again and again by various courts on land matter's.

There is nothing like been "absolutely entitled" as far as this matter is concerned except if there is a will that expressly State's that the land has been willed to the firstborn from a polygamous family.

Hell No
Re: Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name by numericalguy(m): 4:39pm On Oct 16, 2021
Primusinterpares:
The moment his name enters that document it's as good as he owns the land...

With his name on that document no court can take that land from him again

Another liar.

If the courts finds out that he fraudulently put his name on the documents, not only will the court reverse it, he could risk jail time sef.
Re: Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name by Yankee101: 4:40pm On Oct 16, 2021
1. Create a trust company with all the beneficiaries as shareholders. Make each child/wife a shareholder with ownership as a percentage of what each should get.

Then survey the land in the company's name

2. Get a lawyer to draft an agreement in writing that the oldest brother will hold the Land in trust for all of you and cannot be inherited by anyone except all of you the siblings or your represented parties

3. Easiest solution is to sell the land as it is and share the money now (may be cheaper cos no complete papers but better than getting nothing in the long run)
Re: Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name by numericalguy(m): 4:43pm On Oct 16, 2021
Iyaebe:
My advise to all ladies intending to go into polygamy is to make sure they are first wife's or the man should be extremely rich so as to avoid stories that touch.Op he's your senior and as such it's his right but he's greedy and inconsiderate, that land belongs to all of you but you can let him have his way for peace to reign

Na which kind olodo be this sef

It is not his right.
Re: Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name by twilliamx(m): 4:46pm On Oct 16, 2021
No gree
Re: Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name by Nobody: 4:47pm On Oct 16, 2021
redsun:
If your father didn't leave a will,your father's things automatically become his according to the traditions of most tribes in Nigeria. It is not fair, but it's the tradition. That is why you should always strive to be a man of your own. If your father was well-off, you should have sorted yourself before he pegged.

By this medieval assertions, it simply means that traditions now overrides judicial decisions and the court's are now inferior and lacks jurisdiction to entertain and adjudicate matter's of this nature.

No wonder, the word "ignorant and layman" are frequently used in law lectures because of thoughts like the one expounded above do really exist but such thoughts and ideologies gets demystified before a judge.
Re: Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name by Nobody: 4:54pm On Oct 16, 2021
Eleken:

Thanks...

It is funny. Let me do the maths for you....

5 boys from the first wife. 3 boys from the second wife.

The land is valued how much? Let's say N20 million. That's 2.5million each. How much is that? Is that what you are depending on?

But come to think of it? How many girls?

You dey cra.ze. You dey mad. You are sense.less. What about the girls? Nothing for them? I keep saying it that you people are m.ad. So, the girls are not to share? You mentioned only boys. You.dey craz.e.

Let's say 8 boys and 5 girls.... that's 1.5milliin each. How much is that? But you didnt even mention the girls..you boys think you are smart. The first son wants to claim it. While the boys want to have it for themselves. What about the girls?

Guy. You are sens.eless. You better go hustle and forget your papa has any property. Useless thing. Idiootaaa.
Re: Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name by akan102: 4:57pm On Oct 16, 2021
Iyaebe:
My advise to all ladies intending to go into polygamy is to make sure they are first wife's or the man should be extremely rich so as to avoid stories that touch.Op he's your senior and as such it's his right but he's greedy and inconsiderate, that land belongs to all of you but you can let him have his way for peace to reign
Being the first son doesn't in any way makes it his right, I am the first son of my father and what belongs to my father belongs to my father though I might have some privilege but that is not to claim what is not mine
Re: Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name by Myself2(m): 5:01pm On Oct 16, 2021
Hmmmm, one of the best advice Fathers usually advice their sons is to steer clear of land disputes as much as possible because of tragic consequences such usually have.

It's really funny some shocking behaviours some siblings manifest once their parents die and they left behind lands or houses.

OP let me ask you, how big is the land ? Is it big enough for the 5 of you to share ?
If it's big enough, then you can rally your other brothers to make a proposition that you sell and share the proceeds, if your elder brother prefers land, let him have the lion's share.
If it's just a plot or two, just remove your eyes from there , go and hustle to be able to buy not just a plot of land but plots of land in different places.

I've seen situations where siblings tussle for lands led to loss of lives.

So OP I advice you to tread with caution. When there is life, there is hope of buying not just piece of land but hectares
Re: Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name by Nobody: 5:02pm On Oct 16, 2021
EndBuhariNow:
Go and make money and use third party to buy the land, do you know who taught me this Obinna Iyiegbu AKA obi na Yankee., I remembered that very December we were dragging our late grandpa lands in the village , sharing formula parts , my aged dad being the first son his brothers and sons want to override him merely because non of his sons were in the country , me being the last male available son , I refused to allow them cheat the old man, umunna were invited to help share the land when we couldn't solve it within our inner selves, chief obinna were in village for Christmas, him being one of my umunna, he drove in with his elder brother because nah normal thing , and they were there when the peaceful meeting nearly turned to fight between me and my cousins because I insist in the rightful sharing formula as my father being the first son, not that my uncles don't have lands they bought with their money, they have but they want their aged brother my father to lose everything, when all these where going on, he obi called me by my name , we went outside he started, my brother leave all these family lands , if I keep dragging it from today till next year it will not lead me anywhere , you should be more concern with ur future, leave them let them share it equally as they wishes, he said, do you look at ur uncle's son Most especially the senior among them, I replied yes, he told me , go and make money, one day that guy will start selling all these lands, and then you reclaimed what belongs to your father with money, that very advice hit the innermost of my brain , he told me how they refused to give him ani obi when he haven't made money, he left them in anger , but he said, look at me now, I have bought all their lands with money , I just allow them to have their way, I left village that very day back to my base with ange , i didn't even told my parents am leaving that obi's phrase made me more aggressive towards money, I refuse to bow to pressure even when the chips are very down , I keep pushing until till this very day , fast forward to present day, as I was talking to you that advice has came to reality, that my cousins being a drug addict , a graduate for that matter, he refused to work, refused to do business refused to travel overseas merely because old money and properties their father has, are still giving him high hope, the father has shared his properties among his sons , him being the first son, got the lion share from him, and a junky, village tout who refuses to leave the village despite his parents still leaving in township, he has started selling his own share, I have bought 3 plots from him using 3rd party, and still eyeing other properties he will likely auction to the highest bidder, leave ur brother if you can take my advice, make money, if you want to buy land in front of Aso Rock, once u have that money you will buy it...

Your advice sound logical, but still not for one reason. Why the stress on the first son? Are the other children worthless?

What pains me most is that the useless boy mention 5 boys for the 1st wife and 3 boys for the second wife.. what about the girls? Oh! Only boys should share? If he doesnt recognise the girls, then I will ne the first to make sure the first son cheats him too. He is as guilty as the first son. I know with 100% assurance if he was the 1st son, he would do worse. So, I dont pity the useless boy. Shame on him. Shame on all cultures that dont value women. You people should be ashamed of the so called first son rubbish. Rubbish over rubbish.. shame on you all.

First son indeed. Rubbish..
Re: Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name by akan102: 5:04pm On Oct 16, 2021
dominique:

Two women can't be legally married to one man, one marriage will not be recognized by the law. Did your father not leave a will? If your eldest brother was a responsible person, he ought to have liquidated the property and shared it amongst you all regardless of gender. If he's the very greedy type, just remove your hands from the property. Perops like that can go extra lengths to make sure you don't stop him from claiming the property.
Under no circumstance does he have any right to change a family property to his name without the consent of the family, tradition or no tradition, I am a first born too and I know where my right stops
Re: Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name by Crochet: 5:04pm On Oct 16, 2021
He is the first son dude his decision stand.
numericalguy:

It is a family issue and he alone cannot make decisions for the rest of the family.
Re: Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name by akan102: 5:06pm On Oct 16, 2021
Crochet:
He might be ur step brother but he is the first son. So respect him but on the other hand changing ur dad name to his own name that I don't support. But note that he has the right to sell the land and equally share it amongst you guys, but as per tradition I dont know if the ladies re entitled to any of their father properties.
Selling the land also must have the blessings of the other children or it can contested
Re: Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name by Nobody: 5:08pm On Oct 16, 2021
dominique:

I dont even like your approach.

The boy mentioned 5 boys for the first wife, 3 boys for the 2nd wife. Does it mean they dont have female siblings?

See, I support the 1st son to take everything and give him nothing. Cos from his post, if he was the first son, he would do same. The boys did not count the girls to be anything...so why should anyone pity them? I support that the greedy first son should take it all since it's only boys' affair. Greedy people.

Make dem no go hustle, na papa property dem should be relying on. Nons.ense talk.
Re: Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name by Nobody: 5:12pm On Oct 16, 2021
dominique:

Kobojunkie:
Polygamy is legally recognized in Nigeria meaning both women can too be legally married to the same man. undecided

This all comes down to what the man's will has to say. undecided

As far as I know, only Lagos state recognizes polygamy, and it was amended by Fashola before 2014. Maybe some too other states recognise it too..I know northern states will use sharia which likely recognise it. But in the SE and SS, I know most dont. But the one I know is that of Lagos. So you claim is wrong.
Re: Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name by Benrosaria(m): 5:14pm On Oct 16, 2021
Eleken:

Thanks...

After they would say marriage was the best to humanity. Your marriage brought siblings hating on each other, so tell me how it has been working for us
Re: Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name by Amalekki: 5:17pm On Oct 16, 2021
Vanity upon vanity grin
Re: Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name by AngelicBeing: 5:21pm On Oct 16, 2021
EndBuhariNow:
Hahaha, this is called, cunning man died, cunning man bury am, sense no go kill you grin
Re: Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name by obinoral1179(m): 5:24pm On Oct 16, 2021
Eleken:
We are not fighting over the Land.
He's not in the country.. he called me few days ago.. that there's need to conduct survey on our dad's property in which all of us obliged. The process kicked off today. Dunno what prompted my mum to asked the surveyor the document will bear which name. The man said what came out of his mouth.

Long story aside we have sorted it out.. the document bears my late dad's name.

For monika that talked about tradition, we don't do that. Every son of the soil have share on his father's property.

The Thread now is for inexperienced like me to learn.

Bye everyone
your step elder brother is a good man..
Re: Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name by okoroemeka(m): 5:32pm On Oct 16, 2021
Eleken:
RoyalRoy help me push this to front page.
They will start the process any moment from now
something like this happened in my in-laws family and what you will do is to report it as a formal case at the palace of the king of your community,there are old men and cabinet advisers that has decided on matters like this and there will be definitely a tradition on how to share land between brothers if there is no will or the father didn't personally share the land when he was alive,if it is our community the lands will be divided in half the eldest will take half and the rest of the brothers will take half and share among themselves,but tradition differ from community to community,present the case at the king's palace and they will invite all brothers to a fair hearing,forget about lawyer and barrister in this case,it will be pure village politics.

1 Like

Re: Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name by Nobody: 5:33pm On Oct 16, 2021
dominique:
It all boils down to culture and tradition, if the tradition in where you come from states that the first son has rights to the property, you won't be able to fight this. Don't you have sisters from your mother or step mum? They don't matter abi? If you have sisters and you don't see anything wrong in excluding them from the property, them you shouldn't be too upset that your older brother wants to exclude you from same property.

NB: If you know you belong to a polygamous bsetting, just carry your eyes away from father's property and hustle to acquire your own property. A lot of people are in their untimely graves because they were dragging piece of land or one small bungalow with siblings.

There's no culture or tradition anywhere that can make the survey plan of a family land made in the first son's name. What happens in such tradition is ignorance. A man can even deny his first son the right of a first son if the child offends him. The survey plan should be made in the name of the estate of the deceased. That doesn't prevent the first son his right as a first son. Using his name in the survey plan is automatically giving the land to him under crude and uncivilized village culture.

If the man died intestate (without will ), a letter of administration would be collected with the names of the administrators from probate. The family of the deceased, wives and children should have meetings and approach probate. Before then, all documents bear the name of the deceased.
Re: Family Land: My Step elder Brother Wants The Survey Document To Bear His Name by Nobody: 5:37pm On Oct 16, 2021
PeaceJoyLove:

As far as I know, only Lagos state recognizes polygamy, and it was amended by Fashola before 2014. Maybe some too other states recognise it too..I know northern states will use sharia which likely recognise it. But in the SE and SS, I know most dont. But the one I know is that of Lagos. So you claim is wrong.

You say Sharia will likely recognize polygamy which means you are not sure, then, you don't know what is happening in other states.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Baby Prefers Home-made Goat Milk Formula To Breast Milk / Super Eagles Chidi Odiah Abandoned His Wife And Baby? / Court Dissolves 30-day-old Marriage, Asks Woman To Refund Dowry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.