Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,602 members, 7,812,971 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:29 AM

Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? (52220 Views)

The Scary Truth About BMW Cars. / Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. / The 2018 BMW X4 Unveiled – Photos & Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by erico2k2(m): 10:24am On Oct 21, 2021
Bobxin:

What else do you want to do in terms of 'servicing' than changing fluids and tyres?
if you ask him now what kind of Oil he needs, I bet you anymoney E nor know,mechanic go turn any oil inside 2 months you go hear the ML is rubish grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by erico2k2(m): 10:25am On Oct 21, 2021
tmtech:

BMW is a more complex car to fix.
You must buy a very expensive car reader to fully diagnose the car.
Parts are expensive
As they age, they gulp money , that is why most owners drop them , same goes for Audi and many other luxurious brands
Not true, its the lack of knowledge on the part of the owners
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by tmtech: 10:27am On Oct 21, 2021
erico2k2:

Wrong and you think the Jap cars do not require complex machines? Look the up to date mechanics are not cheap, the road side ones are, however they will soon be faced out like radio mechanics we have in the 80s if they refuse to upgrade and update their tools. You see all these new garages popping up, they are the future, these days if you own any car from 2014 upwards, never allow anyone touch it if they do not have a scanner that can read and program cos from the way its going ordinary change of battery requires programming and even change of injectors requires coding

BMW have dedicated scanner which are most prefered to diagnose the car and are very expensive.

Toyota for instance can be scannered thoroughly with a good China made generic scanners.

BMW put a lot of tech into their cars which make them fun to drive when the electronics and other components work, but when they break, it cost a fortune to fix.
The drop in resale value is not only peculiar to Nigeria , BWM cars have high depreciation value

2 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by tmtech: 10:28am On Oct 21, 2021
erico2k2:

Not true, its the lack of knowledge on the part of the owners

The facts are all over the internet and from reputable car reviewers

BWM is definitely more high tech than most japanese cars, And high techs cost more to fix when it breaks
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by SKINDOGGY: 10:28am On Oct 21, 2021
Born2conquer:

2013/2014
Pls, How is it serving its purposes in terms of fuel consumption maintenance and so on...

I want to get a ride before this year runs out but I'm a novice in car talk it will be my first time owning a car, I have been eyeing benz GLK 350 2015 lately,
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by beejay85: 10:28am On Oct 21, 2021
Awoo88:

If you buy that car you will spend twice that amount on maintenance in one month
That's not true....am using the 3rd BMW...just get a very reliable mechanic and if u r in Lagos...do as I do.. I designate a day...take my car to ladipo...all issues LL be resolved,serviced that I might not need any major maintenance for at least 8 months just minors like service engine,change Tyre occasion tye rod bla bla

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by Moorish: 10:28am On Oct 21, 2021
Coscharis have bmw service centers in multiple locations

2 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by erico2k2(m): 10:29am On Oct 21, 2021
tmtech:

BMW have dedicated scanner which are most prefered to diagnose the car and are very expensive.

Toyota for instance can be scannered thoroughly with a good China made generic scanners.

BMW put a lot of tech into their cars which make them fun to drive when the electronics and other components work, but when they break, it cost a fortune to fix.
The drop in resale value is not only peculiar to Nigeria , BWM cars have high depreciation value
Can I ask you a question? what part of the BMW do you think is more xpenssive than its jap counterpart? let us compare genuity to genuity, Im waiting
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by Bobxin: 10:29am On Oct 21, 2021
SocialJustice:
E no get car when Nigeria dey favour, right from the moment they enter into the country from the docks, mechanics and electricians will start their guess work even on your jap mobile, bad roads dey one side to make sure say the car can never normal again.

Normally if no be pride when dey kill us, Nigeria suppose be like Vietnam where everybody dey ride bicycle or scooter because we no advance reach to take care of cars properly.

Agbor, Obiaruku and people for Delta North wise sha, them know wetin fit the country.

What makes you say they're wise?
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by erico2k2(m): 10:30am On Oct 21, 2021
beejay85:

That's not true....am using the 3rd BMW...just get a very reliable mechanic and if u r in Lagos...do as I do.. I designate a day...take my car to ladipo...all issues LL be resolved,serviced that I might not need any major maintenance for at least 8 months just minors like service engine,change Tyre occasion tye rod bla bla
If you use the right oil grade you wont need to change your oil for nearly two years
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by erico2k2(m): 10:31am On Oct 21, 2021
tmtech:

The facts are all over the internet and from reputable car reviewers

BWM is definitely more high tech than most japanese cars, And high techs cost more to fix when it breaks
No they are not, they just put more quality into it, not high tech.the Japs mass produce the Germans do not
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by Tzar(m): 10:31am On Oct 21, 2021
The reason is that aside from Coscharis, there is hardly any credible BMW or Jaguar mechanic in Nigeria. These cars have mini computers controlling almost everything and sadly our mumu and lazy mechanics refuse to upgrade OR use high end and specialized scanners. They do the usual trial and error and end up messing up the entire system of the car. These cars become almost useless scraps after 1 or 2 years in the hands of Nigerian mechanics. BMW like Benz is still a highly priced vehicle abroad. BMW only becomes junk when it enters Nigeria because mechanics have killed the car. Benz has a long history in Nigeria and you still find many mechanics that have sufficiently upgraded their craft. These Benz mechanics only charge an arm and a leg for their services.
RUN from Nigerian used BMW if you haven't invested in a high end specialized scanner (costing 200k and above) to diagnose the fault. If the scanner does not read ANY code after being driven in Nigeria, also run! They must have tampered with the car. Our lead ladden fuel alone should pull out a code.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by UselessBuharist: 10:32am On Oct 21, 2021
Maybe for naija, for SA e dey expensive even pass Mercedes
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by SniperSmurf(m): 10:33am On Oct 21, 2021
This thread has been very educative... cool
I've driven a Benz and I can say that it's harder to repair by far than a Toyota. Not to mention Nigerian roads are not good for German cars unless you're pushing a 4x4 and even then there's the issue of fuel economy etc.
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by Bobxin: 10:33am On Oct 21, 2021
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by Shezzman: 10:35am On Oct 21, 2021
U wanna know why?
Buy one and u will spend all ur salary fixing it.
Holybwoy:
I mean.. I have never owned a BMW nor a Benz but from what I see on the road, a BMW is fine fine and fast fast..

I saw a 2014 over-sharp Nigerian used BMW car going for 1.9 million.. 2014!!! Is the seller mad? He's defo not a scam but is he crazy

a 2014 Benzo costs 5 times that price Nigerian used or not!

I am pained..

Before I settled for my mumu all for everyone camry 2011, I had a BMW in mind.. na mechanic tell me say NO NO..

No tangible reason ooo but I con dey fear..

Weyrey fit never even own proper honda accord for him life.

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by erico2k2(m): 10:38am On Oct 21, 2021
Bobxin:

These stuffs are simple google or YouTube can give you the correct names of oil and even parts. Names of oil especially cuz that's the one I've checked. The correct oil for MB GLC 300. People are running away from German cars and I'm here planning to to add an MB to my Lexus. undecided
Bro, why is it hard to have a comprehensive arguments with us Nigerians, I do not need google as I'm in it 1st hand, I own a 2016 BMW 3 series and my wife has a Sienna 2010, So I own both cars I can tell you the difference 1st hand I dnt need google, you on the other hand is failing to ex[ress your self and drive home your point. Google is filled with human impute.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by Cvesta(m): 10:39am On Oct 21, 2021
Bighead9:

Using one for 8 years now and still counting. When you change a particular part, you might not change again after years of usage. I only changed my break parts ones, the automatic gearbox is still in its top condition, engine superb. Unlike Japanese that you'll have to change most parts weekly or monthly.

I use mine mostly for my long journeys. By month end, I'll leave Owerri to Benin then Abuja, Jos, kaduna, Kano and back to Owerri. I do this with my BM ones in two to three months. But 8 years ago, mechanics and friends warned me not to buy this Car. Most of them have spent more in fixing their Cars while others have changed their Cars severally within this period.
Which model of BMW is your car?
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by hardbody: 10:39am On Oct 21, 2021
Meotoka:
Many reply here have actually said enough but just a little thing to add. I was a fan of German cars, my first car was Golf 4 while my second was Passat 2007 model, both are smooth, lovely ride and very strong too but my conclusion is, we are not ripe to drive those cars in this type of environment like Nigeria. My worst experience concerning my Passat made me changed my mind to go for Japanese cars. I put my Passat on sale for almost 6 months in fact, I later sold it like begging the buyer for just 400k, I won’t want to go in to details. So I decided to buy Lexus Es330 but something happened and I later settled for Tokunbo EOD 2005, settling for the Honda was d best decision I ever took cuz I enjoyed d car so much that I hardly spend money on repairs. I travelled to Maiduguri with d car 4 times, Abuja and Kaduna I lost count and I came to Ibadan once. I used the car for almost 2 years and I sold it in less than 2 hours that I put it on sale. German cars are difficult to repair especially in the north where I reside but they are sweet on the road that I can guarantee. In fact, if German cars are to enjoy the same privilege that Japanese cars are enjoying in terms of parts and repairs, few pple will go for Japanese cuz in terms of safety, cool ride, stability and d rest I give it to German but they don’t have resale value and better mechanics. If u want to sleep well at night, my brother, go for Japanese cars. I rest my case.

Just to buttress your point. I bought a camry muscle in January 2019 for N1.950m. After one year when i realized i had no need for it ( i love SUVs) I sold it for N2.050m. That experience taught me the value of second hand Japanese cars.

I had a Hyundai which i ended up dashing out. I won't go into details. Enough said.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by tmtech: 10:39am On Oct 21, 2021
erico2k2:

No they are not, they just put more quality into it, not high tech.the Japs mass produce the Germans do not

If they have better quality, they should more reliable and last longer then lexus or Toyota.

However , there are enough data to prove that lexus and Toyota last much longer and cost much less to maintain

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by solonubinho(m): 10:40am On Oct 21, 2021
Na maintenance go collect the balance from your hand no worry lol.

1 Like

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by vertueptime: 10:41am On Oct 21, 2021
Ok o have u ever seen the way new benz is driven, small pot hole they must slow down to the min, e get why,

Also from golf 4 upwards are almost extinct e get why
Passat CC wey rain like no tomorrow is hardly seen again, e get why

princeogbeide1:

Don't ever say German cars are not rugged.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by Bobxin: 10:41am On Oct 21, 2021
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by neonly: 10:42am On Oct 21, 2021
Holybwoy:

Why should mechanics now lie that their parts are expensive or that they break down easily..

Can I go for a BMW as my next car then?

Aren't bimmers strong and rugged?

Been using Benz all my life and I can tell u dey are more reliable than those Japanese car is just for you to have d soft ware yurself or have a correct and competent machcanic
U hardly hear of German car sumasut on d high way

2 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by Bighead9: 10:43am On Oct 21, 2021
JustforMen:

Hmmm... what caught my attention is that you are able to travel this much on land.
Fear no gree some of us move one inch ooo
May God continue to protect and prosper your efforts.

Na God.
Some People die in their sleep, while some die in an accident within their locality. But na God dey protect us all.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by tmtech: 10:44am On Oct 21, 2021
Tzar:
The reason is that aside from Coscharis, there is hardly any credible BMW or Jaguar mechanic in Nigeria. These cars have mini computers controlling almost everything and sadly our mumu and lazy mechanics refuse to upgrade OR use high end and specialized scanners. They do the usual trial and error and end up messing up the entire system of the car. These cars become almost useless scraps after 1 or 2 years in the hands of Nigerian mechanics. BMW like Benz is still a highly priced vehicle abroad. BMW only becomes junk when it enters Nigeria because mechanics have killed the car. Benz has a long history in Nigeria and you still find many mechanics that have sufficiently upgraded their craft. These Benz mechanics only charge an arm and a leg for their services.
RUN from Nigerian used BMW if you haven't invested in a high end specialized scanner (costing 200k and above) to diagnose the fault. If the scanner does not read ANY code after being driven in Nigeria, also run! They must have tampered with the car. Our lead ladden fuel alone should pull out a code.

High end specialized tools are very expensive and most car owners won't even be able to afford the service of these mechanics of they upgrade.
However, it is the best way to fix all these German cars. They can be very expensive to maintain, but are a lot of fun to drive . Naija roads go show u pepper sha.. lately that I have had to travel through our federal roads ...omo the roads are now very very bad cry
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by Bobxin: 10:46am On Oct 21, 2021
Shellsploit:
My neighbor bmw, na 5 litres e dey use every morning to warm the car.

This one weak me

1 Like

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by vertueptime: 10:46am On Oct 21, 2021
Class and status

Holybwoy:

This one shook me to the liver ooo...

Quite eye opening! But a Benz is all of this and more..

What makes a Benzo better?
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by Born2conquer: 10:47am On Oct 21, 2021
SKINDOGGY:

Pls, How is it serving its purposes in terms of fuel consumption maintenance and so on...

I want to get a ride before this year runs out but I'm a novice in car talk it will be my first time owning a car, I have been eyeing benz GLK 350 2015 lately,
My first ride was a highlander and I’ve also driven Tacoma, the Honda is sleek.

What matter is you having a Mechanic that understands the Car you’re buying and don’t forget to do frequent servicing.
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by tnerro1(m): 10:47am On Oct 21, 2021
They usually have electrical problems, small water enters the engine, then the car is in serious trouble
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by obehi231(m): 10:48am On Oct 21, 2021
Different strokes for different folks... the debate for and against favours Japanese cars and from my observations over the years. 4 some of us intendin to own autos this has been an interesting discuss.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? by Bobxin: 10:48am On Oct 21, 2021
erico2k2:

bro thats wrong if you say HUb, I thin u picked up the wrong part to drive home your views. Let me tel you the gospel truth,JAP car parts are not cheap rather fake Jap car parts are cheap!
How do you get original?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Another Nigerian Man Takes A Nap With His Car In The Middle Of Highway / When You Are A Car Owner Living In A Compound Full Of Little Kids / Bmw Unveils It’s Largest Suv, The 2019 Bmw X7 After 10 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.