Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,455 members, 7,823,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:05 PM

My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work (23898 Views)

Project Supervisor Leaves His Students In Confusion As He Relocates Abroad / OOU Project Supervisor: Amazing, See This Student Project / Nigerian Student Laments As Her Sexual Harasser Becomes Her Project Supervisor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by zedegit: 11:01am On Oct 25, 2021
hilltop007:
My final year project supervisor called me to summarize my research work of 2 years for publication. He sent me a copy of one of his ex-student work that he published. It was only his ex student who did the work with guidance from my supervisor, but the published paper has two authors; my supervisor (main author) and his ex student. Only my supervisor's contact was also in the paper.

I strongly believe that's what he will also do with mine. Should I give him the go ahead? If I don't publish it, it will probably rot. Or is there a way for me to publish it myself?

Report and come and meet me in my office.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by studentwriter(m): 11:05am On Oct 25, 2021
hilltop007:
My final year project supervisor called me to summarize my research work of 2 years for publication. He sent me a copy of one of his ex-student work that he published. It was only his ex student who did the work with guidance from my supervisor, but the published paper has two authors; my supervisor (main author) and his ex student. Only my supervisor's contact was also in the paper.

I strongly believe that's what he will also do with mine. Should I give him the go ahead? If I don't publish it, it will probably rot. Or is there a way for me to publish it myself?
you mean the project work that you did copy and paste?

1 Like

Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by tafabaloo(m): 11:06am On Oct 25, 2021
hilltop007:

Yeap..you can do that on Amazon for global reach.

Dm me pls on this.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by studentwriter(m): 11:07am On Oct 25, 2021
meetme01:

You don't understand research work.

The researcher is the owner of the work and OP's name is attached to it has stated in the certification page (I certify that this research was carried out by .....) The supervisor can be sued for plagiarism and in a sane society, he would loose his lecturing job.

It once happened to me during my NYSC. I was doing my PGDE and my supervisor was interested in my research, he tried it with me. All I did was to send few lecturers to let him know, I'd take drastic actions. We later agreed to co-author the work which we both use.

OP, you are the researcher, your findings and recommendations is what you need to hold your supervisor's balls. Send close lecturers to him or the ex student to let them know if your work is plagiarised, you would take action(s)
you both should stop deceiving yourselves, even the project work you guys did na copy and paste from other people's previous researches

1 Like

Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by jmaine: 11:07am On Oct 25, 2021
frozen70:

Why not ask him to include your names and contact number same way he will do his own too

If he is not a selfish person, he will do so

There can only be one corresponding author... And the corresponding author is usually the one who wrote the manuscript or have a healthy understanding of the research and publishing ethos..

In this case, the student can be the corresponding author if he/she can put up a write up that will pass peer review scrutiny..
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by berbs: 11:08am On Oct 25, 2021
hilltop007:

That's what they normally do especially those that want to gather publications for promotion. If he instructs you to go summarize your project for article publication, you ain't got no choice than to comply.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by meetme01: 11:10am On Oct 25, 2021
studentwriter:
you both should stop deceiving yourselves, even the project work you guys did na copy and paste from other people's previous researches

Do you know my field? What exactly do you understand by research? So, every research has to be copy and paste like your UG research work?

Alaye, change your mindset and focus more on your work. Let researchers face theirs.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by Kingpin1000: 11:12am On Oct 25, 2021
hilltop007:

Your supervisor is fair to you.
Remember whatever your supervisor wants in that project is what is there.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by eventainment(m): 11:20am On Oct 25, 2021
hilltop007:
I graduated 2 years ago. Currently undergoing NYSC. he called me to summarize the work so he can publish it.
If that's the case you got all rights to do as you please. If your project is totally yours by law. Go ahead and publish it yourself and it will kill the drama. But if he was nice to you when you were in school then co-authuring wouldn't be a bad idea it will look like a returned favour. Maybe he wants to be prof if he isn't since being a prof is by publications et al that someone has accomplished
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by JerryJJZ(m): 11:26am On Oct 25, 2021
hilltop007:

OP dont create unnecessary panic. You should be contented with you being a 'co-author'. It's a boost to you academic criteria and a solace to your effort. You obviously dont expect to be the main author. Please, dont ruin that beautiful relationship with your supervisor. ALso, if he's a Prof or Dr., its a massive boost for you, especially if it's an international journal. You will understand the gravity of having these kinds of people on your paper.

On the otherhand, you can actually publish your work yourself. It just take time, hectic procedures and of course, financial obligations. But if you really want to, you sure can.

The idea about those journals and publication you all around is this; those authors you see contribute in different spheres to the work. Some provide the finance, some the materials, some the space while some the write-ups. All of them still appear on the journal. Its academically legal and fully allowed.

Anyways, if you're interested in publishing journals or you have topic or the interest is there at allll and the finance is available, I can provide the write up and build up of the research... and our names appear on it. It's a win-win offer. Hint me on zero 8-one-6557885six
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by frankputer: 11:27am On Oct 25, 2021
nothing wronge with that,
your name will tag along too,
you will also grow in that way,
he will also tag you in his research work.
it's a win win for both of you.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by Sterope(f): 11:29am On Oct 25, 2021
Calling it fair is slave talk please.

His name should come first and his supervisor's name second.

sirqeeboi:

I don't know I think that the norm and still fair...some Lecturers won't even tell u..since he acknowledged u.it is okay.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by Dpundict: 11:29am On Oct 25, 2021
Summarise it using his guidelines he sent you and publish it online. But if he is still going to grade you then play along with him but before you hand it to him go online to some of these online journals, create your account and upload it. That must be earlier before you give him the copy he will publish so if he googles it it may be difficult for him to see you have already uploaded it
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by Sterope(f): 11:31am On Oct 25, 2021
His name should come first becaude he is the Amin author. His supervisor's name and others who have contributed one way or the other come after.

JerryJJZ:

OP dont create unnecessary panic. You should be contented with you being a 'co-author'. It's a boost to you academic criteria and a solace to your effort. You obviously dont expect to be the main author. Please, dont ruin that beautiful relationship with your supervisor. ALso, if he's a Prof or Dr., its a massive boost for you, especially if it's an international journal. You will understand the gravity of having these kinds of people on your paper.

On the otherhand, you can actually publish your work yourself. It just take time, hectic procedures and of course, financial obligations. But if you really want to, you sure can.

The idea about those journals and publication you all around is this; those authors you see contribute in different spheres to the work. Some provide the finance, some the materials, some the space while some the write-ups. All of them still appear on the journal. Its academically legal and fully allowed.

Anyways, if you're interested in publishing journals or you have topic or the interest is there at allll and the finance is available, I can provide the write up and build up of the research... and our names appear on it. It's a win-win offer. Hint me on zero 8-one-6557885six
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by agabaI23(m): 11:32am On Oct 25, 2021
meetme01:

The researcher is the owner of the work and OP's name is attached to it has stated in the certification page (I certify that this research was carried out by .....) The supervisor can be sued for plagiarism and in a sane society, he would loose his lecturing job.

It once happened to me during my NYSC. I was doing my PGDE and my supervisor was interested in my research, he tried it with me. All I did was to send few lecturers to let him know, I'd take drastic actions. We later agreed to co-author the work which we both use.

OP, you are the researcher, your findings and recommendations is what you need to hold your supervisor's balls. Send close lecturers to him or the ex student to let them know if your work is plagiarised, you would take action(s)
Very funny opinion.
Can that student publish that work? You don't have to contribute if you have no ideas how things work.

@OP
Please there are three things here:
1. He is including you in the publication. That's the most you deserve
2. He can be the senior author whereby you become the first author. This is expected but he may not know this. That's the rule world over. The position of a senior author is reserved for the supervisor.
3. Can you serve as the corresponding author? Can you confortably answer questions, make corrections, argue with reviewers about their attack on your submission? Most likely you cannot. Therefore you cannot be the corresponding author. You have a good supervisor.
Do what S/he asked you to do and get one publication down. It may come handy tomorrow.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by JordanMichael(m): 11:37am On Oct 25, 2021
E BE LIKE SAY YOU NO WAN GRADUATE
hilltop007:

Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by sharpwriter(m): 11:39am On Oct 25, 2021
NoToPile:
That's how they do, some are nice enough to include your name, others won't at all, despite you doing the bench work, spending the money and in some cases writing the manuscript.

Just leave them oo send it to him and send your full details ,academics is like a cult, they all know each other.

A colleague published his fiancees (both had their Msc in same dept, same year ) MSc project with both their names, he did the manuscript part, the fiancees supervisor also wanted to publish it sometimes later and it was discovered that same research work had been published in another journal, she was angry and they even had to apologize to her seriously , she was like the only way she would agree is if theywrite the journal to withdraw the article.

They did for peace to reign.
Lol... Correct girl...
All these things na laziness dey cause am. How do they even feel at ease using another person's research to climb up? Na because of our bad system, if not some fit get their license or academic titles withdrawn.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by sharpwriter(m): 11:42am On Oct 25, 2021
Factfinder1:
it's a normal thing in NIGERIA

intellectual theft is on the high rise in NIGERIAN institutions and no one does anything about it....a lecturer made made the whole class into groups forced us to make and publish journals online with our hard end money and asked us to us his name as the owner of all of the 15 jornals we published online...all for 10 Mark's
Monkey dey work, baboon dey chop grin
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by NewFolm4(m): 11:43am On Oct 25, 2021
hilltop007:

You can't publish it yourself man.
Life is a process. Walt for your time.
Be thankful that your name will even appear on it.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by Nobody: 11:43am On Oct 25, 2021
Mine wanted to do me same but I allowed him to publish first. Later I countered the publication with my laboratory raw data and claimed my research from the journal he made the publication.
E pain him Sha but I care. After all I don grad c'mot

1 Like

Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by Salis2020: 11:55am On Oct 25, 2021
That' your supervisor/ superior oga. My guys you have to be loyal today so that your feature will be bright.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by Annilline: 11:59am On Oct 25, 2021
It's like u no want to graduate.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by jclassiq(m): 12:01pm On Oct 25, 2021
My brother I have only one word for you; if you think that to publish paper is easy, then go do am by yourself.
Believe me, at this stage in your career, your supervisor is doing you a massive favour.

But I understand this is just the mentality of Nigerians -- you are overly concerned with how the paper will benefit the man's career, a paper that you won't even publish yourself because you don't know the ropes.

Is he even asking you for article publication fee? Just to revise and edit and send -- you are lamenting. Okay o

1 Like

Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by Godseed: 12:04pm On Oct 25, 2021
sincerely i don't know what the problem is. I guess it is out of your inadequate understanding of how this works.
Like some rightly said to you, the project is not yours, unless of course you provided all of the following- the conceptualization, the identification of missing gaps in existing body of knowledge, definition of your own research objectives, study design, data collection, analysis of data, interpretation of data and discussion of how your results fit into and/or improve existing knowledge. I guess you probably only collected data and did some discussion (that i am sure will still need to be improved for it to be accepted by any reputable journal). Participation in at least one of the previously listed activities is also deemed as sufficient by many journals for a person to claim authorship. My point is, it is not your work. The work is jointly owned by you and your supervisor. He is simply being courteous by asking you to be involved in the process. Be grateful. We are always complaining that people don't do the right thing. Here is someone trying to do just that. Don't misinterpret it.

And please don't start that story about how you spent your money on the project. Research cost money. You spent money and you went away with a degree. No good thing comes cheap. It might interest you to know that journals don't accept funders of research (such as Bill and Melinda Gates foundation etc) as co-author on researches they funded. Research lives in a realm quite different from money's.

I may encourage you further by telling you that i know people who got jobs and/or studies offer abroad because they had a publication to their names. There are still places on earth where their value system have not been distorted by yahoo yahoo. Aspire higher, bros.

And by the way, as regards the contact of just your supervisor being on the paper, that means he is the correspondence author. There can only be, in most times, one correspondence author on a paper. It is not for fancy. It is about responsibility. Journal articles are peer-reviewed. There will be queries, disagreements and academic fireworks as to the relevance and usefulness of the research before it can be accepted for publication. The correspondence author faces the firing squad. Can you do that?

Did you say you want to publish on your own. It's possible. In a backyard journal. Most serious-minded journals will never look at the work of someone who does not have pedigree in the field. Another reason to be grateful to your supervisor, you are riding on his back to authorship. Even if you ever succeed in publishing in some journal, do you realise what you would have achieved? Yes, you would have become exactly what you are accusing your supervisor of -taking sole ownership for a jointly owned property.

It is well.

hilltop007:

3 Likes

Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by Munzy14(m): 12:08pm On Oct 25, 2021
hilltop007:

This a side hustle for most lecturers in the federal institutions..

They usual publish the work on international journals to earn in foreign currency.

It is a normal....in my case I did a hard and soft copy for him...
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by samwillyco1(m): 12:11pm On Oct 25, 2021
majorgr:
Actually you see most students don't know this, if it was your supervisor that conceptualize the work and gave you the idea on what to work on, then the work is actually his ideas, you only collected data and probably wrote the first draft. In this case, he is well deserving of first author because it was originally his idea. These days, ideas are not easy to come by, if they were why didn't you conceptualize the work? Also, I read somewhere and this is for a forieng institution that your desertation is the sole property of the university, they can decide to or not to include you even in the authors list, even if you take the university to court you can't win the case based on the existing rules. Thirdly, at the moment, you do not urgently need any publication for promotion so its ideal he becomes first author, publication are mostly needed in academia and I can see there is no urgency of you needing any paper at the moment based on your thoughts to let it rot. Besides, a good dissertation is a published one, wether first or last author you already score points as an author and you could use it to apply for scholarships if you are interested in furthering your studies, so it is one way or the other, in your best interest to get the work piblished. It was even nice of him to considered you as a co author, if you hear what other supervisors are doing eh you would be content.

The student is the main researcher so the work is his according to the preliminary pages, but in academic setting both did the work because the supervisor contributed some ideas, the work supposed to be co- authored by both but if the supervisor is already a professor ( co- author) is the best thing because he doesn't need the work to grow but if the supervisor is a Bsc, Msc or PhD hold the student can allow him to be a main author based on agreement because he needs the work to grow ( to get to the highest level of his career ) especially when the student is not ready to further his studies.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by Godseed: 12:20pm On Oct 25, 2021
I think your case is different from the OP. Your supervisor wanted to claim sole ownership. That is morally and professionally wrong. And punishable too. But in the case of the OP, this is an offer for co-authorship. That is standard practice world wide. The work does not belong to the student or supervisor ALONE. It's jointly owned.
The certification page simply attests that you actually carried out the research, collected original data and hopefully, you have learnt some skills in the process that your future employer or institution can bank on.
Oga, it does not mean you own the work.

meetme01:

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors / The Best Business Schools In The World / Boy Rescued After Being Thrown Away For Being A "Witch" Starts School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.