Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,673 members, 7,823,899 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:47 PM

My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work (23901 Views)

Project Supervisor Leaves His Students In Confusion As He Relocates Abroad / OOU Project Supervisor: Amazing, See This Student Project / Nigerian Student Laments As Her Sexual Harasser Becomes Her Project Supervisor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by arthurwillia(m): 6:04pm On Oct 25, 2021
hilltop007:
My final year project supervisor called me to summarize my research work of 2 years for publication. He sent me a copy of one of his ex-student work that he published. It was only his ex student who did the work with guidance from my supervisor, but the published paper has two authors; my supervisor (main author) and his ex student. Only my supervisor's contact was also in the paper.

I strongly believe that's what he will also do with mine. Should I give him the go ahead? If I don't publish it, it will probably rot. Or is there a way for me to publish it myself?

You better do and collect
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by Ifiok21: 6:08pm On Oct 25, 2021
majorgr:
Actually you see most students don't know this, if it was your supervisor that conceptualize the work and gave you the idea on what to work on, then the work is actually his ideas, you only collected data and probably wrote the first draft. In this case, he is well deserving of first author because it was originally his idea. These days, ideas are not easy to come by, if they were why didn't you conceptualize the work? Also, I read somewhere and this is for a forieng institution that your desertation is the sole property of the university, they can decide to or not to include you even in the authors list, even if you take the university to court you can't win the case based on the existing rules. Thirdly, at the moment, you do not urgently need any publication for promotion so its ideal he becomes first author, publication are mostly needed in academia and I can see there is no urgency of you needing any paper at the moment based on your thoughts to let it rot. Besides, a good dissertation is a published one, wether first or last author you already score points as an author and you could use it to apply for scholarships if you are interested in furthering your studies, so it is one way or the other, in your best interest to get the work piblished. It was even nice of him to considered you as a co author, if you hear what other supervisors are doing eh you would be content.

Exactly what I tell people. Just because you came up with idea, collected and analysed the data, wrote the project, edited and proofed it, stay up all night and used 2 years to complete it does not mean you own it. It is for your supervisor.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by stanisbaratheon: 6:33pm On Oct 25, 2021
I got to find out my own project was published by my supervisor 2 years after graduation. In fact, he didn't even acknowledge me in the publication, for a work I conceptualized and finished without any input from him.

The painful part was that he included the names of 2 other lecturers in the publication without my name.

I feel sad each time I think about it.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by KOE1(m): 6:50pm On Oct 25, 2021
meetme01:

You don't understand research work.

The researcher is the owner of the work and OP's name is attached to it has stated in the certification page (I certify that this research was carried out by .....) The supervisor can be sued for plagiarism and in a sane society, he would loose his lecturing job.

It once happened to me during my NYSC. I was doing my PGDE and my supervisor was interested in my research, he tried it with me. All I did was to send few lecturers to let him know, I'd take drastic actions. We later agreed to co-author the work which we both use.

OP, you are the researcher, your findings and recommendations is what you need to hold your supervisor's balls. Send close lecturers to him or the ex student to let them know if your work is plagiarised, you would take action(s)

I am sure you don't much!!!

Your points are not realistic �� and you sounded like you supervised yourself.....you lay the blocks (did the work) but you are not the contractor (your supervisor is). Who gave you the topic (conceived the work), who asigned the methodology, who represented the interest of the title at the university and guide your write up.

I think you still need more education ���

1 Like

Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by KOE1(m): 6:59pm On Oct 25, 2021
Tajbol4splend:
Lecturers never want their students to be better than them

Poor discription....a BSc student has no gut at this level..wait for your time may be postgraduate...you guys always point acussing fingers on Nigerians. It is worldwide!
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by deadie(m): 7:17pm On Oct 25, 2021
Mbbscentric:

I want you to intern/mentor me on the nooks and crannies of research work, I am a fourth-year student in a five years course. I believe a ride through how to achieve research work will help me a lot.

I have saved your email and will get in touch with you at some point in the future. You can delete your email from your original post so that you can protect your privacy don't receive unsolicited mails.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by CaptainKodak(m): 7:38pm On Oct 25, 2021
Dont ale a fuss out of this. As long as she credits you, of course, by including you as one of the authors. S/he would be the corresponding author and only her/his details would be there. Remember you don't have the authority to do a research and publish it. It can only be done by a professional.

But don't worry now, you'lld do the same if you also become an academic (probably a senior lecturer or a prof?, so, relax, s/he's not stealing your work.

Less I forgot, well done for doing a great work that your supervisor wants to publish it. Not many students' work get published by their supervisor in Nigeria. Most of them end up as puff puff and akara papers.

hilltop007:
My final year project supervisor called me to summarize my research work of 2 years for publication. He sent me a copy of one of his ex-student work that he published. It was only his ex student who did the work with guidance from my supervisor, but the published paper has two authors; my supervisor (main author) and his ex student. Only my supervisor's contact was also in the paper.

I strongly believe that's what he will also do with mine. Should I give him the go ahead? If I don't publish it, it will probably rot. Or is there a way for me to publish it myself?
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by NobodyHoly: 8:23pm On Oct 25, 2021
majorgr:
Actually you see most students don't know this, if it was your supervisor that conceptualize the work and gave you the idea on what to work on, then the work is actually his ideas, you only collected data and probably wrote the first draft. In this case, he is well deserving of first author because it was originally his idea. These days, ideas are not easy to come by, if they were why didn't you conceptualize the work? Also, I read somewhere and this is for a forieng institution that your desertation is the sole property of the university, they can decide to or not to include you even in the authors list, even if you take the university to court you can't win the case based on the existing rules. Thirdly, at the moment, you do not urgently need any publication for promotion so its ideal he becomes first author, publication are mostly needed in academia and I can see there is no urgency of you needing any paper at the moment based on your thoughts to let it rot. Besides, a good dissertation is a published one, wether first or last author you already score points as an author and you could use it to apply for scholarships if you are interested in furthering your studies, so it is one way or the other, in your best interest to get the work piblished. It was even nice of him to considered you as a co author, if you hear what other supervisors are doing eh you would be content.
very apt. @OP let hi m have it with you as co author. You might need his recommendation in future.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by Tajbol4splend(m): 9:04pm On Oct 25, 2021
KOE1:

Poor discription....a BSc student has no gut at this level..wait for your time may be postgraduate...you guys always point acussing fingers on Nigerians. It is worldwide!

Because it is world wide, it makes it right, huh?
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by supereagle(m): 9:18pm On Oct 25, 2021
PeaceJoyLove:

Don't say what you dont know. If you don't know something, dont make comments which mislead people. A student is under a professor, and the prof approves his drafts. Who owns it? The one who approves it? Or the one who waits for approval?

Use your brain.

Cc: hilltop007

Think outside the box. Yes, the students can bring a topic for approval, some supervisors give students topics, some supervisors sit down and brainstorm with their students. I have attended many updates courses on research developments both home and outside the shores of Nigeria. The last one I had was on implementation research last year.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by skuribeebo: 10:09pm On Oct 25, 2021
hilltop007:

which rubbish research u dey do. You wey copy one oyinbo paper.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by klawaaa: 10:20pm On Oct 25, 2021
This is good sense. In academic one need ride on wings of a senior researcher. He should just get his name of the paper and make his advisor is recommender on his future endeavors. In academic you need ride on a big wing.
majorgr:
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by Unstoppable97(m): 10:23pm On Oct 25, 2021
Oga,give him and let him use it,a day will come when they will ask for the real author for concluding part of the project
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by brandsoncharlie: 10:30pm On Oct 25, 2021
hilltop007:

Please, don't ever allow any supervisor to be the first author aka main author, for your own good if you're to further your studies abroad or to get a job in first world country where the competition is very high, most or even all requires, a research work done and published by you that's you being the main author, it single you out from the rest of your peers.
As I am speaking to you now, my supervisor who has m. SC in steel and timber design is preparing to write GRE, with his research work in place just to get a job in the USA by next year.
Do a go fund if it requires you to published your own research work but don't allow it.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by brandsoncharlie: 10:33pm On Oct 25, 2021
tolor:
Reminds me of Rutherford law and how Rutherford the Chemist took credit for the discovery even though his students did all the work.

I think it's normal in Academia
It is not normal please, it is a deceptive act.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by brandsoncharlie: 10:35pm On Oct 25, 2021
meetme01:

You don't understand research work.

The researcher is the owner of the work and OP's name is attached to it has stated in the certification page (I certify that this research was carried out by .....) The supervisor can be sued for plagiarism and in a sane society, he would loose his lecturing job.

It once happened to me during my NYSC. I was doing my PGDE and my supervisor was interested in my research, he tried it with me. All I did was to send few lecturers to let him know, I'd take drastic actions. We later agreed to co-author the work which we both use.

OP, you are the researcher, your findings and recommendations is what you need to hold your supervisor's balls. Send close lecturers to him or the ex student to let them know if your work is plagiarised, you would take action(s)
Well done for your great input.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by brandsoncharlie: 10:41pm On Oct 25, 2021
MufasaLion:

Not only Nigeria. It happens most times in the research world.

Go broaden your knowledge.
Lies, that's intellectual theft, it is not practised in other jurisdiction maybe only in Nigeria.
Are you aware of plagiarism is an intellectual theft if claimed ownership of such work.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by BossTtdiamonds(m): 12:51am On Oct 26, 2021
hilltop007:

The last author in the list of authors is the principal investigator. He placed his email there as the corresponding author, because, he'll be asking most of the questions reviewers throw.
If it's just two authors - his person and your person, your name holds the same weight as his.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by Nobody: 2:32am On Oct 26, 2021
supereagle:

Think outside the box. Yes, the students can bring a topic for approval, some supervisors give students topics, some supervisors sit down and brainstorm with their students. I have attended many updates courses on research developments both home and outside the shores of Nigeria. The last one I had was on implementation research last year.
There is nothing to think outside the box as its straight forward. If you dont have phd yet, it is unlikely you get your name as the principal author if the work is outstanding, and if you get it....good. Even in the US like I told you, the main lecturer finds money for the research. If students find money for it in the US as a form of grant, then, the professor cannot easily claim what are theirs. Or if the student is on scholarship ... difference case. Also, it depends on the Personality of the professor.

Basically, keep it simple and straight forward. If your professor has claimed others students' work, do not give him innovation. Do normal stuff and get your A, leave the man and go look for your fund to carry out your research. That is when you will realise it is not easy to breakthrough and get fund. It pays to go under a respected name (allow him as the principal author) till you have a breakthrough and funds start coming your way. And if lucky, he can have you as the principal author from start.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by Greenbottlelady: 5:39am On Oct 26, 2021
hilltop007:

Do you mind briefing me about the project, I have a few people that might be interested in funding/financing it while you get commission.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by cooooooks(m): 6:41am On Oct 26, 2021
You should be first author and him second author with Both Contact info.

Very important if you'll need the work for further studies or abroad.

Make sure the journal can be found on Wiley, Google Scholar, Worldcat.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by MufasaLion: 7:36am On Oct 26, 2021
brandsoncharlie:

Lies, that's intellectual theft, it is not practised in other jurisdiction maybe only in Nigeria.
Are you aware of plagiarism is an intellectual theft if claimed ownership of such work.

Keep wallowing in your ignorance. Did I say it wasn't an intellectual theft? I said it do happen and not only in Nigeria. You're clearly not a student of science. Go and broaden your knowledge.

Many innovations and ideas have been stolen by many innovators.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by brandsoncharlie: 8:16am On Oct 26, 2021
MufasaLion:

Keep wallowing in your ignorance. Did I say it wasn't an intellectual theft? I said it do happen and not only in Nigeria. You're clearly not a student of science. Go and broaden your knowledge.

[s]Many innovations and ideas have been stolen by many innovators[/s].
You have shown clearly that you don't know what you're talking about, I don't need to continue with you.
Mr, Ideals aren't stolen they're improved upon. You don't know anything, wack brain.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by MufasaLion: 9:28am On Oct 26, 2021
Ý
brandsoncharlie:

You have shown clearly that you don't know what you're talking about, I don't need to continue with you.
Mr, Ideals aren't stolen they're improved upon. You don't know anything, wack brain.

You are so dumb! Ideas ain't stolen also?

You sounded more dumber than I thought. I won't indulge you this inbred creature no more.

Shalom!
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by Mbbscentric(m): 2:16pm On Oct 26, 2021
deadie:

I have saved your email and will get in touch with you at some point in the future. You can delete your email from your original post so that you can protect your privacy don't receive unsolicited mails.

Thank you very much, sir. I hope to hear from you soon sir.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by semmyk(m): 11:56pm On Oct 26, 2021
cooooooks:
... ...
Make sure the journal can be found on Wiley, Google Scholar, Worldcat.

At least they should feature there.
Better still, they should feature of Scimago (SCOPUS indexed), or be on ISI, IBSS, ABDC, or features on Norwegian, Scielo ...
https://www.scimagojr.com/
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by semmyk(m): 12:33am On Oct 27, 2021
Congrats on your interest and step starting out in academe publishing. Your concerns are valid.

A couple of things
1.0 There are #differences between research and projects, though not disjoint. Not all projects are research.

2.0 Most universities have policies/rules on authorship. They are normally in the research sections or registry.

3.0 Roles and 'ranking' of authorship varies from disciplines/fields and Journal. Most will refer to ICMJE and/or APA guidelines.
ICMJE: http://www.icmje.org/recommendations/browse/roles-and-responsibilities/defining-the-role-of-authors-and-contributors.html
APA: https://www.apa.org/research/responsible/publication
APA: https://www.apa.org/science/leadership/students/authorship-paper

Kindly bear in mind that authorship is not cast in stone though there are 'ethical morality'.

I'll refrain from commenting on prevailing ethically conduct of Nigeria based academia. They are some with good ethics; at least the ones I collaborate and published with.

hilltop007:

Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by like1: 5:56pm On Oct 27, 2021
[quote author=ivolt post=107051025][/quote]

The only reason I advise students about to go for their PhD, to choose established Professors at the peak of their career, so they don't have to drag first authorship and other irrelevant academic politics with their supervisors. I had one and I am happy I did. It paved 'way' for me.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by EasySynopsis: 6:39am On Nov 06, 2021
PhD Assistance, PhD Guidance, PhD Services in India

EasySynopsis a leading top PhD Assistance and PhD Consultancy center in India. EasySynopsis helps the PhD Scholars for Thesis Writing Services and Journal Publishing.

EasySynopsis offers the following services,
PhD Guidance
PhD Assistance
Phd Writing Service
Thesis Writing
Patent
Citation Service

For Further details
Contact/WhatsApp: +91 7598093959
Email: contact@easysynopsis.com
Article source: easysynopsis.com
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by edoairways: 1:52pm On Nov 06, 2021
femi4:
OP should focus on how to graduate for now. There are many papers to write in the future. Don't let project deprive you of graduating with your colleague
I beg to disagree, why are we afraid to confront issues like this?.
Re: My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work by edoairways: 2:00pm On Nov 06, 2021
studentwriter:
you both should stop deceiving yourselves, even the project work you guys did na copy and paste from other people's previous researches
No it isn't. At the moment, proper citation and rephrase of author's idea is the new trend now. Virtually all research work are tested for plagiarism

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors / Boy Rescued After Being Thrown Away For Being A "Witch" Starts School / The Best Business Schools In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.