Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,156 members, 7,825,613 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:48 PM

The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact - Art, Graphics & Video (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact (29912 Views)

Cambridge University Officially Returns Looted Benin Bronze Artefact To Nigeria / Germany Set To Return Taken Artefact To Benin / Jesus College Bronze Cockerel To Be Repatriated To Benin City Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Guide777(m): 7:18am On Oct 28, 2021
Asiwaju9ja:

I like your crass analogy. However, Igbo people does not know anything about Bronze Casting. Only Clay and Wood carving. To this day, there's a street in Benin(Igun) that specializes in Bronze work. It's a known occupation of the Binis for Centuries. Just as the ijaws are fishermen, fulanis cattle rearers aka herdsmen.
yes Igbo ancient artists do clay and wood art I. But I guess you don't know of Igboukwu bronze pot dated as early as 9th century BC.
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by miniziter(m): 7:19am On Oct 28, 2021
What's special about this crying fowl? And what's Jesus institution doing with this kind of object?
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by ComeToJesus: 7:20am On Oct 28, 2021
johnmartus:
Hope bini come back to their sources oduduwa is our progenitor.
Not necessary.

1 Like

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by HornyTave: 7:20am On Oct 28, 2021
Myer:

Lol
On the contrary it was the SW that migrated from Benin. That's why we share so many words and ways.

not really, it was their religious progenitor that was from Bini.
Read the excerpt of Oba Of Bini when He visited the Ooni of Ife. the story is on Vanguard's website
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Nobody: 7:21am On Oct 28, 2021
Stephenomozzy:
Amazing as they got the 'intonation' in the spelling too... grin;

Wetin concern 'yoruba' punctuation for Benin sculpture ni;

In Benin "Okhokho" generally means "Fowl/Chicken"... Okporu - means Cockerel; "Iyo-okho" means hen (asin mama fowl); and "ovibo-okho" naim be small chicks.

You expose yourself more. Iyo-okho means husband's mum in Yoruba.

3 Likes

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by tamdun: 7:22am On Oct 28, 2021
Guide777:
it's Okuko not Akuko. Okuko means chicken. Igbo Artifact stolen from Igboland and re-stolen from Bini. Since Oyibo has made their own restitution, Benin Kingdom should follow suit. Let's give to Ceasar what belong to Ceasar.
So the artifact now belongs to igbo? I fear una

3 Likes

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Uco01(m): 7:24am On Oct 28, 2021
After they must have finished everything inside.how sure are we is the same one they stole before? They can make a replica and give us.
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Lewisalexander(m): 7:26am On Oct 28, 2021
Bobmarie:
You tell him what? Two olodos. Stolen art is the reason black people are dead last place.

Frustration wan finish u. Smh
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by martineverest(m): 7:27am On Oct 28, 2021
TheManhattan:
Give the artefact 3 months.
but the artefact was in Benin palace for hundreds of years b4 British soldiers stole it....what's your point?

2 Likes

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Awoo88: 7:28am On Oct 28, 2021
Those things are becoming worthless as the world attention is shifting to tech. They are returning those artefacts because they don't have need for them
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by saddler: 7:30am On Oct 28, 2021
onumadu:

Just wondering ... what is the meaning of "Akuko" in Yoruba? In Igbo it means "story".

For the topic, if this chicken sculpture tagged "Ọkhọkhọ"does not show that Edo is Igbo, I wonder what else is left. cheesy

Just because of okhokho you think Edo is igbo

What if you compare the Igbo and Edo languages and see the very many similarities, what will you conclude?

Every good student of history and culture understands its not out of the ordinary for tribes living close to share similar words even if they speak different languages.

3 Likes

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Nobody: 7:31am On Oct 28, 2021
Mayflowa:

You need to understand why this loot happened. Some overzealous edo youths killed emissaries from England. It was a thoughtless and needless massacre because Oba would not receive any visitor during Igue celebrations! One of them managed to escape. At the time, edo people though jazz and juju will save and fight for them. They believed they were invincible until they saw gun fire and bombs. Wait! Wouldn't you have avenge your countrymen dead?

With this mindset, we are near finished as a people. Overzealous youth killed European emissaries .. What was the business of European emissaries on African soil. Is it now a crime to turn down a nagging visitor in your own house?

Where no emissary was killed by the natives, what prompted the Europeans to subvert the existing system for their selfish gains? It is obvious the Marauders and the civilized crooks were looking for opportunities to loot

5 Likes

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by ihimiray(m): 7:31am On Oct 28, 2021
Atiwaye:
Akuko is what they turn to okhokoh.this bini people are too stubborn why they can't go back to their kinsmen in southwest.
what the meaning of akuko
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Nobody: 7:32am On Oct 28, 2021
TripleOh7:

So you think it's only sculptures they stole from the black man?

So many kids running around Nairaland lately. What's going on?

Seun ki lon sele now?
Please do your overgrown self a favor and don’t mention me again without factoids of what they ‘stole’ from us, what race has not been stolen from? Everyone else has gotten over the bloody past and are competing to be the greatest race remembered. Black people are still talking of a time their parents didn’t see.

Historic illiterates everywhere.
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by saddler: 7:32am On Oct 28, 2021
martineverest:
but the artefact was in Benin palace for hundreds of years b4 British soldiers stole it....what's your point?

Dont mind some of the ignoramus on this thread.

If the artefacts were in the palace for hundreds of years and were safe before the colonial looting, i wonder what has changed that it wont be safe now

2 Likes

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by stasius: 7:33am On Oct 28, 2021
Ọkụkọ is Igbo.

So Benin also pronounce it as Ọkhọkhọ

Interesting.
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Qualer: 7:33am On Oct 28, 2021
Asiwaju9ja:

You are hoping against hope. You just rightly foresee the future. You be Nostradamus?

Well... you never know!! They might be serious about keeping them!
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Nobody: 7:34am On Oct 28, 2021
Lewisalexander:

Frustration wan finish my mama. Smh
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Athemisia: 7:35am On Oct 28, 2021
Malawian:
Now to Bini people, do you prefer your Oba hoards these artifacts in his Palace, or your Governor builds a museum for it so all Bini people can have access to see them?

Well all I know is in Edo state, the Oba is the law, so if Obaseki does not want to start flying at night without broom, ....
These are not just mere artifacts, they are deities... So it's not advisable taking them to a museum for public showcasing.

1 Like

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by johndwayy(m): 7:38am On Oct 28, 2021
tujays:
told us lies that our god is evil and theirs is good. stole our spiritual gods and gave us the Bible which is their god. ever since then we've lost our purpose as humans, been confused and at war with each other till date. The mental slavery/Inferiority complex in which an average black person is suffering from is story for another day.

So because Christianity came from the whites, that's why we Africans lost our purpose?? Did we have any purpose before? Christianity actually brought light to Africans and exposure too. We would have been worse than this if not for the white man and his religion.
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Guide777(m): 7:39am On Oct 28, 2021
EdoDefence:

Punch news wrongly spelt it, we call it ọkhọkhọ

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Qualer: 7:40am On Oct 28, 2021
slowice:
They should ve left these sculptures in the clime where there values will be intact and high. We all want to applauds this though we all know its useless to us.... Let's focus on dealing with the poverty and high cost of commodity ravaging the land first, tackle poor quality leadership before pursuing things like this.

If these weren't plundered by the whites, most of them would be dust by now.. The value it has today is the value given to it by the same white people.

gbam!!! cool
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Mftivi: 7:41am On Oct 28, 2021
Qualer:
See how that piece is looking clean and well maintained like it was made last year.
By the time you see that thing in another two years, it will be covered in brown dust and chipped off at various edges.
That has been my worry with this clamour for 'return our artefacts'. Where and how are they going to store/keep them so that it will be available like it is now in another 150 years

If the Oyibo man didn't take them, by now there wouldn't have been any artefact to speak of. I have been to a few of the museums in Europe and seen the way they keep and take care of these pieces (these are people's well-paid full time jobs), some of them have not left glass casings in a climate controlled environment for more than a century and it shows in the piece above. The Ife art pieces in the British museum look like they were made two/three years ago and people pay a gate pass of more than 10pounds to view them when they are on exhibition.

Well, let's see how it goes sha... I'm hoping they prove me wrong. cool
do you know how many years they have kept that sculpture before oyibo stole it ? Sometimes you just have to think deep. This only shows that we would have been better off without their interference cos if we couldn't preserve our sculptures then they wouldn't have met anything to steal!
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Nobody: 7:42am On Oct 28, 2021
[s]
Bobmarie:
Please do your overgrown self a favor and don’t mention me again without factoids of what they ‘stole’ from us, what race has not been stolen from? Everyone else has gotten over the bloody past and are competing to be the greatest race remembered. Black people are still talking of a time their parents didn’t see.

Historic illiterates everywhere.
[/s]

You must be mentally challenged to be referring to me that way.

Package your insults and present them to your parents who refused to raise you right. They deserve it.

Hopefully they have enough sense to take away that phone from you before you hurt yourself.

Ode.

Iyalaya e.

2 Likes

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Qualer: 7:43am On Oct 28, 2021
johndwayy:

So because Christianity came from the whites, that's why we Africans lost our purpose?? Did we have any purpose before? Christianity actually brought light to Africans and exposure too. We would have been worse than this if not for the white man and his religion.

anybody in doubt should look up north and some middle eastern countries!! grin
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Mftivi: 7:43am On Oct 28, 2021
2real52:

"took everything from us" is understating the fact. They rubbed us of our life and soul. They rubbed us of our tradition and culture. Now, if you are not a Christian or a Muslim, you are definitely a demon. If you dare think of marrying more than one wife, you are a demon. Etc.. May liberation find us
no you are almost close but missed it, they robbed the whole world of an entire civilization!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Btruth: 7:44am On Oct 28, 2021
EdoDefence:
Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact, The Ọkhọkhọ

Jesus College, Cambridge has returned a looted artefact, The Ọkhọkhọ to the palace of the Oba of Benin, where it was stolen in 1897 and been returned to the Palace of the Ọba of Benin.

Credit: Twitter | shailafennel, JesusCollegeCam

https://www.facebook.com/206270189411151/posts/4824157464289044/
".......where it was stolen".

Later, they will tell me say oyinbo no dey steal.
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Mftivi: 7:45am On Oct 28, 2021
Vultron101:
why didn't you mention the Formal education they brought to us, the financial aid they have be giving to your dead government for years now na the bad wey dem do una, una dey first see as if una no dey do bad. You are mentally dotish.
change your moniker to vulture mtchew
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Nobody: 7:47am On Oct 28, 2021
TripleOh7:
[s][/s]

You must be mentally challenged to be referring to me that way.

Package your insults and present them to your parents who refused to raise you right. They deserve it.

Hopefully they have enough sense to take away that phone from you before you hurt yourself.

Ode.

God punish my mother.
Whats amazing here is you claim to be old, yet you threw the first insult at my mom. Do you think being illiterate is an insult? How do you use words? Did you go to school?
You cannot even tell that not being literate is not an insult, it just means a lack of education or ignorance about a particular subject but typical black man doesn’t understand words and feels he has been insulted so he has to respond by insulting my mom.

Oga get down from your high horse, hide your
dick, DO YOU KNOW ME or what I do for living? Did I call your family members in this? Old man with little sense, maturity is very far from you. Your new age obviously still dey shack you, you wan dey form mature online dey call everybody you see pikin.

Go return your school fees because even a mentally challenged person is smarter than you.

2 Likes

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Lokojatoofar: 7:49am On Oct 28, 2021
That is most likely a very good copy. The original is probably still somewhere in that cambridge school.
They know Nigeria is a joke of a country that lacks the technology to carbon date the artifact.
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Khez: 7:52am On Oct 28, 2021
What exactly will the daft and short sighted governors we have in Nigeria do with it ?
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Nobody: 7:52am On Oct 28, 2021
THE AKUKO

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Meet A Self Taught Nigerian Artist That Paints With Biro ...PHOTO REALISTIC / Some Really Cool Optical Illusions / 20 Signs You’re A Creative Person.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.