Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,596 members, 7,812,953 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:29 PM

The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact - Art, Graphics & Video (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact (29839 Views)

Cambridge University Officially Returns Looted Benin Bronze Artefact To Nigeria / Germany Set To Return Taken Artefact To Benin / Jesus College Bronze Cockerel To Be Repatriated To Benin City Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Nobody: 7:53am On Oct 28, 2021
Qualer:
See how that piece is looking clean and well maintained like it was made last year.
By the time you see that thing in another two years, it will be covered in brown dust and chipped off at various edges.
That has been my worry with this clamour for 'return our artefacts'. Where and how are they going to store/keep them so that it will be available like it is now in another 150 years

If the Oyibo man didn't take them, by now there wouldn't have been any artefact to speak of. I have been to a few of the museums in Europe and seen the way they keep and take care of these pieces (these are people's well-paid full time jobs), some of them have not left glass casings in a climate controlled environment for more than a century and it shows in the piece above. The Ife art pieces in the British museum look like they were made two/three years ago and people pay a gate pass of more than 10pounds to view them when they are on exhibition.

Well, let's see how it goes sha... I'm hoping they prove me wrong. cool
The artifacts have been with the binis for more than 200 years before the British looted/stole them

3 Likes

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Eriokanmi: 7:54am On Oct 28, 2021
FvckAllMods:
These guys really took everything from us undecided
Yet, they'd be telling us Africa doesn't have history. This artifact must have lived over 500 years before being stolen centuries ago
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Eriokanmi: 7:56am On Oct 28, 2021
Nebes:
Did I read okuko?
Akuko...buy that's edo's pronunciation.
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Mhimi007(m): 7:56am On Oct 28, 2021
onumadu:
BTW can anyone please tell me how to produce the under letter punctuation here?
Somehow I haven't learnt that! cheesy cheesy
the pronunciation is quite different let me try explaining, it is quite tricky to explain in writing okay 'okhokho' is pronounced as 'hor-kor-kor' in Bini-Esan dialet as against 'or-ku-kor' of the igbos, I'm an Esan-Ibo person so I think I have slight ideas about this...hope I tried

2 Likes

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by victorazy(m): 7:57am On Oct 28, 2021
OVB123:
Benin kingdom on the rise again. God bless edo state.

If only is the original one grin
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Eriokanmi: 7:57am On Oct 28, 2021
Atiwaye:
Akuko is what they turn to okhokoh.this bini people are too stubborn why they can't go back to their kinsmen in southwest.
I wonder oo...always coining our language

2 Likes

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Nothingserious: 7:58am On Oct 28, 2021
EdoDefence:
Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact, The Ọkhọkhọ

Jesus College, Cambridge has returned a looted artefact, The Ọkhọkhọ to the palace of the Oba of Benin, where it was stolen in 1897 and been returned to the Palace of the Ọba of Benin.

Credit: Twitter | shailafennel, JesusCollegeCam

Is this not Okuko ( fowl, cockerel) in Igbo language?

Bini copying Igbo or Igbo copying Bini.
Which is it really?
https://www.facebook.com/206270189411151/posts/4824157464289044/
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Eriokanmi: 7:59am On Oct 28, 2021
onumadu:

Just wondering ... what is the meaning of "Akuko" in Yoruba? In Igbo it means "story".

For the topic, if this chicken sculpture tagged "Ọkhọkhọ"does not show that Edo is Igbo, I wonder what else is left. cheesy
Pronunciation is different. Oyo and Ile-Ife would call it Okuko while in general yoruba language, its akuko.

1 Like

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Nothingserious: 8:01am On Oct 28, 2021
Mhimi007:
the pronunciation is quite different let me try explaining, it is quite tricky to explain in writing okay 'okhokho' is pronounced as 'hor-kor-kor' in Bini-Esan dialet as against 'or-ku-kor' of the igbos, I'm an Esan-Ibo person so I think I have slight ideas about this...hope I tried

Anyhow we look at it, the picture is that of Fowl which is Okuko in Igbo language.

So why the similarities?
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by iyofason: 8:01am On Oct 28, 2021
God bless Oba of Benni.

One of the servant of Oduduwa

The head before the tail, and not the other way around.

2 Likes

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by ehix89(m): 8:01am On Oct 28, 2021
Vultron101:
why didn't you mention the Formal education they brought to us, the financial aid they have be giving to your dead government for years now na the bad wey dem do una, una dey first see as if una no dey do bad. You are mentally dotish.
We didn't seek for their financial aid and was co-existing peacefully before the invasion, the bini kingdom like other kingdoms in Africa was doing very well before they took everything from us, now we don't even have an identity. In my opinion, they brought misery upon us.

1 Like

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Pumpumking: 8:03am On Oct 28, 2021
Bobmarie:
Whats amazing here is you claim to be old, yet you threw the first insult at my mom. Do you think being illiterate is an insult? How do you use words? Did you go to school?
You cannot even tell that not being literate is not an insult, it just means a lack of education or ignorance about a particular subject but typical black man doesn’t understand words and feels he has been insulted so he has to respond by insulting my mom.

Oga get down from your high horse, hide your
dick, DO YOU KNOW ME or what I do for living? Did I call your family members in this? Old man with little sense, maturity is very far from you. Your new age obviously still dey shack you, you wan dey form mature online dey call everybody you see pikin.

Go return your school fees because even a mentally challenged person is smarter than you.

Kaiiiii..see babe. Pleaae can i chop kiss twise i beg? cheesy

2 Likes

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by RillJ(m): 8:05am On Oct 28, 2021
johnmartus:
Hope bini come back to their sources oduduwa is our progenitor.

Try and find out the source of 'Oduduwa'
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Qualer: 8:07am On Oct 28, 2021
Mftivi:
do you know how many years they have kept that sculpture before oyibo stole it ? Sometimes you just have to think deep. This only shows that we would have been better off without their interference cos if we couldn't preserve our sculptures then they wouldn't have met anything to steal!

Have you seen actual documented pictures of these pieces when they were taken and the pitiable state they were in?
Some of them were covered in thick coats of dust and blood from human, animal and chicken sacrifices/offerings - and I'm not talking just about the ancient Bini kingdom. Only a few of the decorative/ornamental pieces were relatively clean and well kept.

Judging from the way they were used back in the day, most of them only lasted because they were made from iron and bronze cast and even at that, some didn't still survive in the hands of the locals.
Even the famous ivory face/mask pendant that was used as the FESTAC '77 icon was mostly in tatters and another fake copy had to be made.
That original is in the Met Museum, New York and it has not deteriorated further since it has been there because it is well taken care of.

Dude, I am an artist and work in the art sector, I am not just talking out of turn!

1 Like

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by RillJ(m): 8:08am On Oct 28, 2021
Real name is okhokhor! Traditional Edo name for fowl (with dots under the Os)

Atiwaye:
Akuko is what they turn to okhokoh.this bini people are too stubborn why they can't go back to their kinsmen in southwest.
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by 001spice: 8:08am On Oct 28, 2021
After making millions of dollars from it. They are now bringing it back. Anyways nothing our people go make out of this. Las las they will still sell it to the white
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by RillJ(m): 8:11am On Oct 28, 2021
onumadu:

Just wondering ... what is the meaning of "Akuko" in Yoruba? In Igbo it means "story".

For the topic, if this chicken sculpture tagged "Ọkhọkhọ"does not show that Edo is Igbo, I wonder what else is left. cheesy

Heey! How do you punctuate under the Os, would love to learn that.
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Nobody: 8:11am On Oct 28, 2021
Bobmarie:

What's amazing here is I claim to be old, yet here I am an mgbeke with dirty panties hurling insults at someone I barely know. Did I go to school? Obviously not.

I need to get down from my high horse, hide my vagina that stinks like a rotten fish. DO YOU KNOW ME or what I do for living? I am an haggard woman with little sense, maturity is very far from me and my family members. My new age obviously still dey shack me, I wan dey form mature online dey call everybody I see pikin.

I need to go return my school fees because even a mentally challenged person is smarter than I am. Just check my profile picture and see that I'm good for nothing but prostitution which is my main job anyway.

That's why I'm still unmarried till now and I'll probably remain a spinster for life. Blame my mom for that.
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by lexy2014: 8:15am On Oct 28, 2021
SonOfEl:

Okuko..... Sounds igbo to me

the heading and d story says The Ọkhọkhọ. u are saying okuko
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by lexy2014: 8:16am On Oct 28, 2021
tamdun:

Akukọ =cock

the story and d heading says The Ọkhọkhọ. where are u getting akuko from?
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Topmaike007(m): 8:18am On Oct 28, 2021
Nebes:
Did I read okuko?
he sounds like Igbo to me
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Ramirezkhay(m): 8:24am On Oct 28, 2021
Still dy watch Tom & Jerry grin
onumadu:

Okay o
Touche! grin
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by xaggar(m): 8:25am On Oct 28, 2021
Unseen:

Any artefacts returned to Africa is the exact replica.... And never the original. Don't be deceived

infact you spoke my thoughts.

They simply sent back a damned replica
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Ramirezkhay(m): 8:27am On Oct 28, 2021
Lol this Iyo-okho still sounds like Iya Oko Ajeh!
Akuko lan je grin
Stephenomozzy:
Amazing as they got the 'intonation' in the spelling too... grin;

Wetin concern 'yoruba' punctuation for Benin sculpture ni;

In Benin "Okhokho" generally means "Fowl/Chicken"... Okporu - means Cockerel; "Iyo-okho" means hen (asin mama fowl); and "ovibo-okho" naim be small chicks.
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Bigsunny01(m): 8:35am On Oct 28, 2021
bcomputer101:
God bless Oba of Benni.

One of the servant of Oduduwa grin

Awon land grabbers

Well done ooh

U better wake up from dis ur disease u call a dream

2 Likes

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by einsteine(m): 8:43am On Oct 28, 2021
eagleu:

Cambridge university has it as Okukor.
It was Okukor before the civil war, now it's okhokho. Thank God it's not Rokukor!

The word is okhokho.

This one wan start attache by force.

What has civil war got to do with it? Ah, the civil war really destroyed the psychology of Igbos for you to be thinking the word for fowl was changed because of Igbos.

Igbos and Igboid groups call dogs Nkita while the Edos call it Ekita, Edos call Oil Ofigbon, while Igboid groups have variations of the same word as their word for palm oil. It only shows that language is a continuum not that people are changing words because of Igbos.

Get away from your victim mentality. It won't help you in life.

1 Like

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by yemmywesey(m): 8:47am On Oct 28, 2021
They took all the artifacts away, demonize it and imposed bible and statue of mary on africans.
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by kunkelhanspeter(m): 8:49am On Oct 28, 2021
SonOfEl:

Okuko..... Sounds igbo to me

It’s igbo bro
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Tedpgrass: 8:50am On Oct 28, 2021
onumadu:

OR

onumadu:

It is still neither here nor there because the punctuation under the "O" is purely Igbo.
And in Igbo it means "Chicken".

Please make your mind up...

Story or chicken angry angry

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Mayflowa(m): 8:50am On Oct 28, 2021
234tunji:

With this mindset, we are near finished as a people. Overzealous youth killed European emissaries .. What was the business of European emissaries on African soil. Is it now a crime to turn down a nagging visitor in your own house?

Where no emissary was killed by the natives, what prompted the Europeans to subvert the existing system for their selfish gains? It is obvious the Marauders and the civilized crooks were looking for opportunities to loot

You do not have the correct information. I am Edo and from an Oba family. I am vast in the history of the war. I am trying to remove my emotion in telling you this story, albeit from both sides. It wasn't the first time westerners had come to Edo. These people are explorers and traders, and they like to create a bridge to all areas of the world. The westerners wanted to know about the world and the good in it. They also have the intention to dominate as all humans would do. These guys that slay the Queen of England's emissaries do not have the permission of the Oba. You must know anyone must abhor killing another human.

While there is slavery attached to western involvement in Africa, you must also realize they came here as missionaries and set up free schools all over the place. They gave scholarships to the early nationalists to study in their kingdom before coming back to fight for our independence. Lagos and Calabar are model cities built with cocoa and palm oil by white men. They preached against human sacrifices, stopped the killing of twins. Mary Slessor almost wanted to die in place of the twins in Calabar. Know that nothing is fair in love and war. They were even magnanimous by not killing our Oba, Ovonramwen, who they disposed to Calabar and provided him a palace.
Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by Ubanz: 8:52am On Oct 28, 2021
The British and Europeans are noted for stealing, brigandage, Plundering & vandalism.
In that manner the new world (the US) was formed.
According to Daniel Dafoe in Moll Flanders,"many a high court Judges and Governor's are sons and daughters of pickpockets & brigands transported of Newgate"
Today the make up what we call US,the worst theives of them all.

1 Like

Re: The Ọkhọkhọ: Cambridge's Jesus College Returns Benin Artefact by NtiObaEneke(f): 8:54am On Oct 28, 2021
The Okhokho... Okuko... Okuku

The beauty of language and its ethnic/racial interconnectivity.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Meet A Self Taught Nigerian Artist That Paints With Biro ...PHOTO REALISTIC / Some Really Cool Optical Illusions / 20 Signs You’re A Creative Person.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.