Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,003 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:27 AM

Saving Vs Investing: Which One Is Better? - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Saving Vs Investing: Which One Is Better? (14851 Views)

N75,000 Monthly Take Home Salary, How Much Should I Be Saving / If You Do Not Start Saving Until 45, You Will Need To Save Three Times As Much A / Earn Money While Saving - Join Piggyvest Today And Get 500 Naira Bonus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Saving Vs Investing: Which One Is Better? by Ayilara1(m): 1:47pm On Oct 28, 2021
Philip4564:
is land cheap in Ogbomoso?

It's my hometown and I bought land 6plot of land for 350k(suppose to be #60k per plot) in July - This is a rural environment oo. There are places where lands are sold millions but generally lands are cheap.

To gain meaningful return, you'll have to leave it for lot of years.
Re: Saving Vs Investing: Which One Is Better? by Chrisvotel: 2:06pm On Oct 28, 2021
Investment is better than saving,because you don't grow your money by saving and even when you save some unforeseen circumstances might just occur and you might loose all your savings like if you have two million in your savings and you discovered that you have a heart disease and two million Naira is needed for the treatment, I'm very sure that you'll withdraw the money and use it for the treatment by so doing you've spent all your savings but if you invested the two million and you got four million,you will still have two million with you even if the unforeseen circumstances happen cool
Re: Saving Vs Investing: Which One Is Better? by laskab(f): 2:12pm On Oct 28, 2021
If you are a risk taker, Invest. If you are risk averse, Save.
Investors earn big when business is worthwhile. Savings these days is becoming riskier because societal,family or unseen circumstances could take the Savings away . Thereby reducing the purpose of savings.
Savings in Bank means borrowing banks money to trade.
I advise that you invest if you have idle funds. Invest in businesses that appreciate like Land, Build Houses for rent or Do Car business rather than save for someone else.
If you save, bankers can divert your money or delay refund to make gais for themselves.

Vipro:
Everyone is looking for ways to have more money than they already have but more than anything, they are on a journey towards achieving financial freedom. Your financial goals may be different from others but we all have one thing in common - we want genuine ways that we can use to grow our money. That's what we are going to be taking about today as we differentiate the two terms - saving and investing.

1 Saving
This one is rather self explanatory, it refers to the process of putting money away for rainy days or big purchases such as a down-payment for a house, car etc. Usually you need to open a savings account with a banking institution.

— Interest rates offered by banks are not the same and they are in constant change based on economic activities.

— It's your responsibility to compare them and see which one offers competitive interest rates that will grow your money.

— One thing that you must know, saving takes time and does not offer the same results compared to investing. Banks want to make money and not the other way around.

2 Investing
When you invest your money, you are putting it away for a fixed period of time and expecting it to grow in value. There are various investment vehicles to choose from and this includes stocks (also known as shares), bonds, ETF's and more.

– It's not a secret that investing offers more value for your money.

— There are risks that are associated with each investment. Make sure that you understand them before committing.

— For shares you can use an online broker like Easy Equities which does not require a lot of money to start.

We hope this article has clarified both terms and you are now confident enough to adopt new money habits.
Re: Saving Vs Investing: Which One Is Better? by laskab(f): 2:14pm On Oct 28, 2021
If you are a risk taker, Invest. If you are risk averse, Save.
Investors earn big when business is worthwhile. Savings these days is becoming riskier because societal,family or unseen circumstances could take the Savings away . Thereby reducing the purpose of savings.
Savings in Bank means borrowing banks money to trade.
I advise that you invest if you have idle funds. Invest in businesses that appreciate like Land, Build Houses for rent or Do Car business rather than save for someone else.
If you save & you die, bankers can divert your money or delay refund to make gais for themselves.

Vipro:
Everyone is looking for ways to have more money than they already have but more than anything, they are on a journey towards achieving financial freedom. Your financial goals may be different from others but we all have one thing in common - we want genuine ways that we can use to grow our money. That's what we are going to be taking about today as we differentiate the two terms - saving and investing.

1 Saving
This one is rather self explanatory, it refers to the process of putting money away for rainy days or big purchases such as a down-payment for a house, car etc. Usually you need to open a savings account with a banking institution.

— Interest rates offered by banks are not the same and they are in constant change based on economic activities.

— It's your responsibility to compare them and see which one offers competitive interest rates that will grow your money.

— One thing that you must know, saving takes time and does not offer the same results compared to investing. Banks want to make money and not the other way around.

2 Investing
When you invest your money, you are putting it away for a fixed period of time and expecting it to grow in value. There are various investment vehicles to choose from and this includes stocks (also known as shares), bonds, ETF's and more.

– It's not a secret that investing offers more value for your money.

— There are risks that are associated with each investment. Make sure that you understand them before committing.

— For shares you can use an online broker like Easy Equities which does not require a lot of money to start.

We hope this article has clarified both terms and you are now confident enough to adopt new money habits.
Re: Saving Vs Investing: Which One Is Better? by sonofthunder: 3:12pm On Oct 28, 2021
taiwofawole:
In a country like Nigeria both saving and investing are good but do not do them in Naira , saving & investing in dollars is the biggest flex .. one of the best way of investing in dollars is via blogging . If you have the financial ability , invest in blogging now that is one the easiest way to be sure you not solely depending on Naira . As at 2017 $1 was around 320 - 370 now $1 is 550 - 570 , for someone that had a blog in 2017 , 2020 he would be more financially stable because he has means of dollars earning .. What many people fail to understand is that it isn’t about your current adsense earning but that asset that can give you a financial freedom from Naira . Let me quickly run to a client adsense Dashboard and make a screenshot (I’m modify this post at 10:14, check the time on the first two screenshots, if you don’t mind I can invite you several adsense account own by my clients)

You might want to consider reading in details here
https://www.nairaland.com/6786474/cost-creating-blog-nigeria-how

Regardless of your type of job , have a blog and a side business it wouldn’t even cost much to do . You can never go wrong owing a blog as a asset

My name is Kennie Fawole , CEO of Kennietech , one of the most notable web developer & business strategist on nairaland , my thread speaks volume of me , check them out

https://www.nairaland.com/6775085/thread-meant-client-reviews-testimonials

Good day sir,

How much should I budget for first three months of operating my blog, assuming I will not be handling the content generation.
I will appreciate your breakdown of things I need to plan for. I believe cost of running the site online should be for the first year.

Thanks
Re: Saving Vs Investing: Which One Is Better? by Munzy14(m): 3:31pm On Oct 28, 2021
Blackfire:
Saving is actually investment..

Duuuuhhh
Investment with no returns, is that one investment?

In Nigeria the moment you have upto 6digits in savings account...Bank charges will be coming from no where...Every week angry angry

1 Like

Re: Saving Vs Investing: Which One Is Better? by Evinote(f): 3:31pm On Oct 28, 2021
Investment is always the best, anytime anyday. You can invest in land banking even without been there and your money will just be growing. Check my signature for my details

engrfaruq:
That's my major issue currently. I have money laying fallow in my account and I don't feel comfortable with that. I've searched for investment opportunities and I've tried some but they all fail due to representation, cos I'm not available to oversee them. Nonetheless, I still believe investment is far better than saving.
Re: Saving Vs Investing: Which One Is Better? by Munzy14(m): 3:38pm On Oct 28, 2021
afamaustin:
Invest. Ok let me ask how can l invest 1m and make profit.
If you have a trusted parley running a legit business, discuss with him or her, where and when you can come in with finance backing...Get 1m split into two...and write an agreement(very important)..500k to return 120k interest in a calculated time. Is a good business as long you are certain business is moving..

To me I will prefer edible business..No matter hoe bad country is, we do eat everyday.

If you leave 1m in a naija bank, you will come back to 900k if care is not taking aftet 1yr.. grin cheesy
Re: Saving Vs Investing: Which One Is Better? by Evinote(f): 3:39pm On Oct 28, 2021
No matter how uncertain the future is, investment is still a necessity. A wise man live inheritance for his children's children. We do not live for only ourselves alone. Most of us, if our parents had made investment, life would have been easier for us. Let's not make the same mistake because of the uncertainties of life. Check my signature for information on investment in land banking.

slawormiir:
Damnnn niggar
Investment anyday anytime twice on Thursday...

But as you are investing... also be flexing and enjoying

Don't be investing alone for a future that is not guaranteed...

The worse part na those way dey save only....saving for tomorrow that is not sure...
Yesterday small thing enter my account...the first thing i do....I update some alcoholic wine for my low budget ass bar shaperly...buy enough weed...then maybe later....me and my niggarrrrs go book hotel....update one or two beautiful slim runs babe take follow up...after all these before I go dey think of investment and savings..if at all I go even invest and save from the money self
I can not come and kill myself for tomorrow that is not guaranteed
Re: Saving Vs Investing: Which One Is Better? by Beolly(m): 4:35pm On Oct 28, 2021
Factfinder1:

if you are in abuja or you can have me come to you we can talk about investments. restaurants, farming, petroleum products, medicine, uber etc...I have plans and brilliant ideas but I lack funds

Uber make sense at all?
Re: Saving Vs Investing: Which One Is Better? by SecretReporter(f): 5:20pm On Oct 28, 2021
engrfaruq:
That's my major issue currently. I have money laying fallow in my account and I don't feel comfortable with that. I've searched for investment opportunities and I've tried some but they all fail due to representation, cos I'm not available to oversee them. Nonetheless, I still believe investment is far better than saving.
invest online
Re: Saving Vs Investing: Which One Is Better? by Gwayas(m): 5:35pm On Oct 28, 2021
My friend's mother bought 50 bags of maize at 10k each and 30 bags guinea corn at 12k each last year, she paid 500 naira for storage on each bag for one year. This year within April and June, a bag of maize is around 23k and a bag of guinea corn is about 25k. Imagine if she had saved her money without investing it. Do the math yourself.
Re: Saving Vs Investing: Which One Is Better? by Chimeluv(f): 5:37pm On Oct 28, 2021
Investing is better even though it may be risky but once you find legit forms of investment you won't have any problems.
Re: Saving Vs Investing: Which One Is Better? by Philip4564(m): 5:53pm On Oct 28, 2021
Ayilara1:

It's my hometown and I bought land 6plot of land for 350k(suppose to be #60k per plot) in July - This is a rural environment oo. There are places where lands are sold millions but generally lands are cheap.

To gain meaningful return, you'll have to leave it for lot of years.

I'm very interested in getting a land rhere
Re: Saving Vs Investing: Which One Is Better? by ofiko123(m): 6:00pm On Oct 28, 2021
Both if I may say...
Re: Saving Vs Investing: Which One Is Better? by Factfinder1(m): 6:19pm On Oct 28, 2021
Beolly:

Uber make sense at all?

yes sir
Re: Saving Vs Investing: Which One Is Better? by romunu(m): 8:12pm On Oct 28, 2021
Invest and safe the profit, from the investment after all expenditures... but we never see the one we go chop, then talk of to saving, na God go help us all.
Re: Saving Vs Investing: Which One Is Better? by pegix(m): 9:04pm On Oct 28, 2021
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggar

The worse part na those way dey save only....saving for tomorrow that is not sure...
Yesterday small thing enter my account...the first thing i do....I update some alcoholic wine for my low budget ass bar shaperly...buy enough weed...then maybe later....me and my niggarrrrs go book hotel....update one or two beautiful slim runs babe take follow up...after all these before I go dey think of investment and savings..if at all I go even invest and save from the money self

"Saving for a tomorrow that's is not sure

Investing for the future that's not guaranteed"

Even though it is important to save and invest.. but what damnniggar just said here weighs alot!

Make i go buy one bottle cool off also

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Saving Vs Investing: Which One Is Better? by fizzycozy(m): 9:29pm On Oct 28, 2021
How then do you save outside of Nigeria? Besides crypto though
Born2conquer:
Saving is the first thing you do before investing

But don’t save in any Nigerian bank! Those guys can freeze, PND on your account without no valuable reason
Re: Saving Vs Investing: Which One Is Better? by Beolly(m): 11:51pm On Oct 28, 2021
RealAdewole:

save your money with piggyvest, cowriewise or branch etc they offer more interest than banks and you can easily track every interest and no hidden charges
Is piggy known or recognized by CBN? Where's there office and how can they be held responsible in case something goes wrong.
Re: Saving Vs Investing: Which One Is Better? by Beolly(m): 12:10am On Oct 29, 2021
Factfinder1:

yes sir
I dey reason car hiring. whereby I register with Uber operatives. Secure insurance and install car tracker.
Re: Saving Vs Investing: Which One Is Better? by Factfinder1(m): 6:59am On Oct 29, 2021
Beolly:

I dey reason car hiring. whereby I register with Uber operatives. Secure insurance and install car tracker.

a good business
Re: Saving Vs Investing: Which One Is Better? by mummyz(m): 1:35pm On Nov 02, 2021
Download the app on playstore for android user, do the necessary KYC then quote me
Loveknitting:

Seriously, how does the piggyvest work?
Re: Saving Vs Investing: Which One Is Better? by Loveknitting: 2:44pm On Nov 02, 2021
mummyz:
Download the app on playstore for android user, do the necessary KYC then quote me

Ooh okay thanks

1 Like

Re: Saving Vs Investing: Which One Is Better? by Ayilara1(m): 11:29am On Nov 14, 2021
Philip4564:
I'm very interested in getting a land rhere

Just got back to ogbomosho, Are you still interested in buying lands?
Re: Saving Vs Investing: Which One Is Better? by Philip4564(m): 12:56pm On Nov 14, 2021
Ayilara1:

Just got back to ogbomosho, Are you still interested in buying lands?
pls can I get your WhatsApp number
Re: Saving Vs Investing: Which One Is Better? by Ayilara1(m): 4:54pm On Nov 14, 2021
Philip4564:
pls can I get your WhatsApp number

Re: Saving Vs Investing: Which One Is Better? by a123456789: 7:25pm On Apr 14, 2022
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggar

Classy bar

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Your Plan B Source of Income / Dangote Gas Explosion Kills 2 Welders In Benue(photos) / Leventis Motors Limited Job Recruitment (12 Openings)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.