Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,962 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:19 PM

Salah Or Drogba? Which African Forward In The Premier League Would You Choose - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Salah Or Drogba? Which African Forward In The Premier League Would You Choose (21047 Views)

Liverpool Without Salah Or Mane / Woman Spreads Her Wrapper For Drogba To Walk On After He Built School, He Dances / Gay Players In Premier League Would Get Respect – Pogba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Salah Or Drogba? Which African Forward In The Premier League Would You Choose by Badonasty(m): 11:41am On Oct 30, 2021
Even drogba will choose Salah

5 Likes

Re: Salah Or Drogba? Which African Forward In The Premier League Would You Choose by Health3: 11:41am On Oct 30, 2021
Drogba by far
Re: Salah Or Drogba? Which African Forward In The Premier League Would You Choose by Haakeem(m): 11:43am On Oct 30, 2021
hahaha nairaland na cruise.......i am sure all man united fans are going for drogba because sallah humilated thier beloved man united........and to top it all most chelsea fans are going for sallah because he made thier dreams come true by humilating man united ,even the one's that are ronaldo fans has started making second choice of dumping ronaldo and go for sallah.

2 Likes

Re: Salah Or Drogba? Which African Forward In The Premier League Would You Choose by fourboys: 11:43am On Oct 30, 2021
Viltron:
Can he rise for the big moments? That's the question, Drogba was a leader, he was born for the big occasions
big moments like?? Salah has done all and still going strong

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Salah Or Drogba? Which African Forward In The Premier League Would You Choose by realestate99: 11:44am On Oct 30, 2021
will definitely pick sallah

Drogba came out late, he was deemed inferior to Daniel cousin of Gabon at LeMans in French league 2 that time, drogba was a beast physically but not decisive enough goal wise, salah is still playing and has already eclipsed Drogba total premier league goals with lesser matches.

The problem with human psychology is that every body always claim his ( set/period) is the best, a 70 year old man thinks football was best played in his era, a 40 year old man believes football was best played in his era, a young man now watching football believes old school football is nothing, that the current football is the real deal.

Nostalgia has a way of making people judge wrongly, this is not only about football, it happens in all facets of life, especially in secondary school issues, Nigerians are fond of saying " when we were still in school those days things were better than this " lol

The flimsy excuse that salah does not show in big matches is vague, he has scored against almost every opposition in EPL, he scored in champions league final, so what is the issue?
International football is another kettle of fish, almighty Drogba did not win anything with ivory coast despite having the best squad ivory coast has produced in a generation.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Salah Or Drogba? Which African Forward In The Premier League Would You Choose by Angelfrost(m): 11:44am On Oct 30, 2021
Sheggy13:

Argue with facts. I laid them before you. I watched both of them play. I'm not a kid born in 90s or 2000s, so I know both what I'm saying.

No disrespect... It is ungainly and even out of place to compare players from different era and times.

Stats are subjective and vary with several factors like quality of football, defensive strengths of teams, rules of the game, etc...

That is why I only compare footballers within the same era!!! It is wrong and disrespectful to drag retired legends into the fray.

By such needless arguments, we may as well discredit or diminish what Pele, Maradona, Zidane, Okocha, Weah, Figo, etc achieved.

I have no issues with Salah my good sir.... Just compare him with those within his current generation. Don't drag a retired legend who has paid his dues into this... Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Salah Or Drogba? Which African Forward In The Premier League Would You Choose by Nobody: 11:44am On Oct 30, 2021
fourboys:
big moments like?? Salah has done all and still going strong
All what exactly? Care to mention them?
Re: Salah Or Drogba? Which African Forward In The Premier League Would You Choose by Haakeem(m): 11:45am On Oct 30, 2021
Badonasty:
Even drogba will choose Salah
see ur mouth angry

1 Like

Re: Salah Or Drogba? Which African Forward In The Premier League Would You Choose by updatechange(m): 11:45am On Oct 30, 2021
Haakeem:
drogba a lucky player as how?

The circumstances around most of his goals are kinda cheap... Pls if you're a Chelsea fan abeg no quote me again o I cant shout.

2 Likes

Re: Salah Or Drogba? Which African Forward In The Premier League Would You Choose by Angelfrost(m): 11:46am On Oct 30, 2021
Vinnie2000:

My Brother!
Humans Must Compare, particularly in diz Social media age!

Wizkid vs Davido
Omah Lay vs Rema
Haaland vs Mbappe
, etc..

Only dat Salah and Drogba have Very Different playing Styles!
Salah is NOT even a Striker to start with! He is a Right Winger!
So, We can't compare, Really! sad
But human being Must Talk! smiley

The part in bold is my grouse sir...

Those comparisons are of people within the same generation and age.

Drogba played in another time, when football was quite different from what we have today.

Compare Drogba to his mates, and Salah to his. Simple!!!

2 Likes

Re: Salah Or Drogba? Which African Forward In The Premier League Would You Choose by rickyrex(m): 11:46am On Oct 30, 2021
Nemesis0147:
you are high...that champion league win was a collective efforts by the team abeg....Petr Cech did a very wonderful job.
thou collective effort...cech for score the goal nah.
Re: Salah Or Drogba? Which African Forward In The Premier League Would You Choose by coolebux(m): 11:47am On Oct 30, 2021
Alliance of Man. U and Chelsea fans grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Salah Or Drogba? Which African Forward In The Premier League Would You Choose by Businessman1986(m): 11:48am On Oct 30, 2021
updatechange:
Salah anyday anytime, drogba to me looks like a lucky player... Salah is real stays hungry for goals always.

As the article above alludes to, Drogba scored in almost every major final. You can't do that without a certain level of consistency in approach, which is the opposite of luck
Re: Salah Or Drogba? Which African Forward In The Premier League Would You Choose by rickyrex(m): 11:48am On Oct 30, 2021
omonla10:
how did he singlehandedly do it oo. Lampard, Terry, malouda etc. Drogba was not even d highest champions league scorer that year..
the final... Imagine he was not on that list. Who else would have done that magic and didn't do it up until last minute
Re: Salah Or Drogba? Which African Forward In The Premier League Would You Choose by fourboys: 11:48am On Oct 30, 2021
femi4:
Drogba

He did more defensively than Salah

Drogba is a big moment player, Salah disappears on big occasion for club n country

Drogba work rate is higher
Salah disappears in big occasion for club and country... U know nothing bro,,, Salah has been digging holes and taking souls for club and country
Re: Salah Or Drogba? Which African Forward In The Premier League Would You Choose by Polynek(m): 11:48am On Oct 30, 2021
Both of them are good no cap, they are very good in there wings, The Truth is dat Salah hv achieved everything Drogba Achieved in football and He still has more years to play.meaning that He will do more than Drogba. My opinion tho

2 Likes

Re: Salah Or Drogba? Which African Forward In The Premier League Would You Choose by Box18: 11:49am On Oct 30, 2021
Sheggy13:

Stop being sentimental. Sallah as it stands now has better stats overall than Drogba in almost every sense. In the big games that Drogba showed up, he also did. Sallah is not a point man like Drogba but still managed to surpass his EPL goal tally with far lesser number of seasons played (4 compared to Drogba's cool and with almost 100 games less (107 goals in 167 games to Drogba's 104 goals in 254 games). Same Sallah holds the record for the highest number of EPL goals in a 38-game inseason which he achieved in 2017/2018 season, 32 goals. This is in the same EPL top strikers much better than Drogba like Ronaldo,
Henry,Suarezz and Aguero could not achieve this for years; the highest number of goals Drogba scored in a season in all competitions, about 4 competitions was 33. The records speak for themselves not talk of who be mate or whatever.
when he has retired we can start comparing because now u guys are judging him base on his current form forgetting what drogba has achieved.
Re: Salah Or Drogba? Which African Forward In The Premier League Would You Choose by rickyrex(m): 11:49am On Oct 30, 2021
Jiyke:

Honestly, everything about Chelsea winning Champions league 2012 was Drogba
blessings follow u

1 Like

Re: Salah Or Drogba? Which African Forward In The Premier League Would You Choose by hollywater: 11:51am On Oct 30, 2021
Simdyofficial:
Make una stop this rubbish. Drogba no be sallah mate..
Tia Salah is better.

1 Like

Re: Salah Or Drogba? Which African Forward In The Premier League Would You Choose by Nemesis0147(m): 11:52am On Oct 30, 2021
rickyrex:
thou collective effort...cech for score the goal nah.
and the Torres and remires scored nko
Those guys too us to the final abeg
Re: Salah Or Drogba? Which African Forward In The Premier League Would You Choose by FuckAllTheMODs: 11:53am On Oct 30, 2021
Vinnie2000:

Agreed dat Both are Forwards! But Salah operates from the Right! He is a Right Winger! smiley
It is like comparing Greenwood and Tammy Abraham on who is a Better forward! undecided

Keywords: "African Forward"
That is it is a collective/general argument on which African player is the best forward in EPL.

If both are high enough in their careers, they can be compared.
At least, there is argument between Ronaldo/Messi and Benzema/Lewandowski, Salah and Harry Kane etc.
Argument like this are not always position based both role based.

Note: By position I mean RW, LW, CF, LB, RB, LCB, RCB and so on.
By role I mean forwards/attackers, midfielders, defenders...
Re: Salah Or Drogba? Which African Forward In The Premier League Would You Choose by Haakeem(m): 11:53am On Oct 30, 2021
updatechange:

The circumstances around most of his goals are kinda cheap... Pls if you're a Chelsea fan abeg no quote me again o I cant shout.
i am man united fan and would love to go for sallah but what he did to my club is unforgiveable so i would go for drogba instead.drogba worked for his goal so dont call him lucky player.
Re: Salah Or Drogba? Which African Forward In The Premier League Would You Choose by AyelalaOo(m): 11:54am On Oct 30, 2021
Drogba for Chelsea?
Go and ask their papa
Re: Salah Or Drogba? Which African Forward In The Premier League Would You Choose by tegrianonigltd(m): 11:55am On Oct 30, 2021
OJEEMAH:
Salah is better in terms of stats but Drogba is the man for the big occasion.

Salah is man for the small occasion You well so.

1 Like

Re: Salah Or Drogba? Which African Forward In The Premier League Would You Choose by NazTv: 11:55am On Oct 30, 2021
Ahmad62:
Liverpool star Mohamed Salah has become the highest-scoring African player in Premier League history after a phenomenal hat-trick against Manchester United.

The Egyptian was in scintillating form once again as the Reds ran riot at Old Trafford, scoring for the 10th consecutive league game and his 15th goal in just 12 games (in all competitions) this season.

The 29-year-old first set up Naby Keita for the opening goal and played a role in the build-up to Diogo Jota's strike for the second.

With his treble, it means Salah has now scored 107 goals in the top flight, helping him surpass retired Chelsea legend Didier Drogba on 104.

What is more remarkable is that Drogba needed 254 games to rack up his goals total with eight seasons spent in the Premier League.

Meanwhile, Salah has featured in only 167 games, with 154 for Liverpool and 13 at Chelsea which produced only two goals.

There remains a chance his Liverpool team-mate Sadio Mane could join him at the summit, with the Senegalese seven goals back on 100.

But Salah's incredible form, which has seen him net in every game this season aside from the 2-0 win over Burnley, would surely protect his lead for now over Mane.

Salah has already broken several records this season, becoming the quickest player to reach 100 Premier League goals for Liverpool earlier this season.

To be honest they both good

1 Like

Re: Salah Or Drogba? Which African Forward In The Premier League Would You Choose by RightToReject(m): 11:55am On Oct 30, 2021
Of course, Salah. Apart from sentiment and myopia, which are understandable in a case like this, I wonder how anyone will fail to accept the reality that Salah has outachieved the legendry Drogba within and outside the Premier League in almost all important individual indices. Drogba, in his active playing days, can only be said to have been more physically imposing than Salah, that's all.

6 Likes

Re: Salah Or Drogba? Which African Forward In The Premier League Would You Choose by tegrianonigltd(m): 12:00pm On Oct 30, 2021
Cutezt:
Didier is KING any time anywhere, you can't even compare. It goes way beyond the pitch.

It is disrespectful to compare Drogba with Salah, even Salah will not try it. Drogba shows up when you need him, Salah disappears when you need him the most. He may be better in stats, but the ultimate big game player remains king DD, and that's what wins you trophies.

You can't even find Salah on a list of top 20 big game players.

Really name the big games, list the big games you can’t find Salah... still 32 goals pl goals, drogba went once 20+ pl goals in 9 years, e no Dey reach 17 self, salah don go all season without reach 20, delivered in all big games. King Mo. drogba na just average striker, lucky to have played with them lampard who scored more than him, we Dey talk about striker you dey call drogba where Eto Dey self.. great Eto, First two season back to back champions league final.

Compare drogba to Origi, men for the big games

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Salah Or Drogba? Which African Forward In The Premier League Would You Choose by updatechange(m): 12:00pm On Oct 30, 2021
Haakeem:
i am man united fan and would love to go for sallah but what he did to my club is unforgiveable so i would go for drogba instead.drogba worked for his goal so dont call him lucky player.

I'm a united fan too but I love Salah's hustling spirit when it comes to individual game unlike drogba that will almost depend on rebounce, across or through pass to get a goal
Re: Salah Or Drogba? Which African Forward In The Premier League Would You Choose by optimusprime2(m): 12:00pm On Oct 30, 2021
It seems people don't understand the term; "Big game players"
Drogba was a big game player! a huge chunk of Drogba's goals were in the big games, he never disappeared in Big games.

2 Likes

Re: Salah Or Drogba? Which African Forward In The Premier League Would You Choose by Valwezzy: 12:01pm On Oct 30, 2021
Sheggy13:

Stop being sentimental. Sallah as it stands now has better stats overall than Drogba in almost every sense. In the big games that Drogba showed up, he also did. Sallah is not a point man like Drogba but still managed to surpass his EPL goal tally with far lesser number of seasons played (4 compared to Drogba's cool and with almost 100 games less (107 goals in 167 games to Drogba's 104 goals in 254 games). Same Sallah holds the record for the highest number of EPL goals in a 38-game season which he achieved in 2017/2018 season, 32 goals. This is in the same EPL top strikers much better than Drogba like Ronaldo,
Henry,Suarezz and Aguero could not achieve this for years; the highest number of goals Drogba scored in a season in all competitions, about 4 competitions was 33. The records speak for themselves not talk of who be mate or whatever.

You forgot Drogba went to AFCON in the 2009/2010 season and still bagged 29 EPL goals in 32 appearances while Salah scored 32 in 36 games.

Salah's 32 EPL goals (44 total) also amounted to nothing, it didn't spur Liverpool to any Trophy.
Re: Salah Or Drogba? Which African Forward In The Premier League Would You Choose by rickyrex(m): 12:01pm On Oct 30, 2021
Nemesis0147:
and the Torres and remires scored nko
Those guys too us to the final abeg
yet they took Chelsea to the final but their efforts would have remained in the semi final if drogba had not intervened at the final... Just like mancity last season who played everything against Chelsea but just the goal of one man made history for Chelsea... Look at the season btw Liverpool and Madrid. If sallah had not sustained that injury at the early hour maybe we would have been placing sallah ahead of drogba that is if he had scored or made an exceptional impact that could have led to their wining.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Who Was Nigeria's Best Player At The AWC (Namibia 2014)? / Tokyo2020: Divine Oduduru Disqualified From 100m Race / AFCON 2021: Egypt Is Under Pressure – Salah Admits Ahead Of Super Eagles Clash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.