Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,745 members, 7,820,572 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:22 PM

South South Is Taking Over The Music Industry - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / South South Is Taking Over The Music Industry (4381 Views)

Just Sonnie - 'Taking Over' (Video) / 5 Trending Topics For January In The Nigeria Music Industry / Biggest Moments In Nigerian Music Industry In 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South South Is Taking Over The Music Industry by bigpriik: 10:37pm On Nov 01, 2021
WesternOligarch:

It's not necessarily just about the language they sing in but their identity.....we actually have more south south guys in the entertainment industry that any other tribes than yorubas....

What is identity without language?Burma is from ahoada an Igboid speaking clan in Rivers so by geographical identity he is Igbo..

1 Like

Re: South South Is Taking Over The Music Industry by Justmesagi: 10:38pm On Nov 01, 2021
LegendHero:

I like that Omah Lay. That guy get unique sound.

Just like Kiss Daniel when he came to the limelight. You’ll always know those kind of guys will blow.
Omah Lay will reach the peak if he continues in that pace.

Kiss Daniel is very good but he seem to have relaxed recently.

1 Like

Re: South South Is Taking Over The Music Industry by SpatialKing(m): 10:38pm On Nov 01, 2021
Dsalvo:

Bro, music has changed. Nuff respect to those guys you mentioned.

Still, the guys who took Nigerian music international, to become world-famous superstars in the process, are Yorubas like Wizkid, Davido, Tiwa, Tems, Yemi Alade etal with Burna Boy being the only non-Yoruba who is a bona-fide international superstar today.

It can be cool and liberating if you actually give Yorubas credit you know. Otherwise the facts will do that for Yorubas anyway.
Favour also took Nigeria music international
Run town
Patoranking
Are all contributing
Re: South South Is Taking Over The Music Industry by Nobody: 10:42pm On Nov 01, 2021
bigpriik:

What is identity without language?Burma is from ahoada an Igboid speaking clan in Rivers so by geographical identity he is Igbo..

Burna boy is clearly an ijaw boy, but am not interested in arguing that.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South Is Taking Over The Music Industry by Ekealterego: 10:43pm On Nov 01, 2021
WesternOligarch:

Lol.....ckay is just a one hit wonder unfortunately. Streams are good but these guys have won awards and performed on international audiences closing down stadiums and areanas and tems is relatively new but she already has a feature with drake.....from fela to dbanj to wizkid yorubas changed the music industry and are even doing epic stuff in the movie industry with the likes of Kemi Adetiba and kunle afonlayan.

Dbanj was great. But as I said, you guys look at things from a regional or situational point of view.

You have forgotten that before WizKid, people like Psquare were making videos as good as American music videos.

women were fainting when Psquare touched them on stage in Europe then. They invaded Africa and had collaborations with Akon when he was super hot and Rick Ross... that's when WizKid was still a boyboy in EME music.

Psquare had broken the 100 million YouTube view celling on Nigerian music by then.

Flavour was closing down stadiums all over Africa.

I believe they have all benefited by working together and Afro music has gone global too.

On the other hand, Ckay's one hit has proven greater than all these prospects put together. Ckay is also signed by Warner Music. Also, he produces and writes his music like Omah Lay and Tekno, plays almost 5 instruments.

Runtown (from the east) wrote and produced Davido's megahit "Aye"

and Tekno also wrote and produced his other hit, "If".

While Peruzzi have written and produced most of his massive hits later in Davison's career.

I believe they have done good working together.
Also the SS/SE music is hard to differentiate because most SE are just similar to SS (asides from Edo, Bayelsa and non-igbo parts of Delta).

Nigerian afro music have interwined.

1 Like

Re: South South Is Taking Over The Music Industry by g0tze: 10:44pm On Nov 01, 2021
Some peeps like this one want to Stoke the embers of tribalism here but can't
WesternOligarch:

Lol ckay is just a one hit wonder unfortunately. Streams are good but these guys have won awards and performed on international audiences closing down stadiums and areanas and tems is relatively new but she already has a feature with drake.....from fela to dbanj to wizkid yorubas changed the music industry and are even doing epic stuff in the movie industry with the likes of Kemi Adetiba and kunle afonlayan.

1 Like

Re: South South Is Taking Over The Music Industry by LegendHero(m): 10:45pm On Nov 01, 2021
SpatialKing:

Run town
Patoranking
Are all contributing

Na Flavor I like pass. The guy get better voice and sings some cool music until lately when he somehow just relax.

What about Tekno? Them dey always Jam Tekno song wella for USA lounge and clubs. Even for places you won’t imagine self.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: South South Is Taking Over The Music Industry by Justmesagi: 10:46pm On Nov 01, 2021
WesternOligarch:

It's not necessarily just about the language they sing in but their identity.....we actually have more south south guys in the entertainment industry that any other tribes than yorubas....
I noticed Westerners (avoiding to use Yoruba to prevent tribalism) have almost closed the gap in comedy too. Before, the South South is indisputably the champion in that sector.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: South South Is Taking Over The Music Industry by Igboid: 10:48pm On Nov 01, 2021
Ekealterego:

Dbanj was great. But as I said, you guys look at things from a regional or situational point of view.

You have forgotten that before WizKid, people like Psquare were making videos as good as American music videos.

women were fainting when Psquare touched them on stage in Europe then. They invaded Africa and had collaborations with Akon when he was super hot and Rick Ross... that's when WizKid was still a boyboy in EME music.

Psquare had broken the 100 million YouTube view celling on Nigerian music by then.

Flavour was closing down stadiums all over Africa.

I believe they have all benefited by working together and Afro music has gone global too.

On the other hand, Ckay's one hit has proven greater than all these prospects put together. Ckay is also signed by Warner Music. Also, he produces and writes his music like Omah Lay and Tekno, plays almost 5 instruments.

Runtown (from the east) wrote and produced Davido's megahit "Aye"

and Tekno also wrote and produced his other hit, "If".

While Peruzzi have written and produced most of his massive hits later in Davison's career.

I believe they have done good working together.
Also the SS/SE music is hard to differentiate because most SE are just similar to SS (asides from Edo, Bayelsa and non-igbo parts of Delta).

Nigerian afro music have interwined.

Chike is trying too. I liked his Roju and running into you.
Adekunle Gold has been on fire recently too, releasing hit track after hit track.
Nigerian music industry is now all comers affair.
To be honest, I think Yorubas just edged the secular music industry, while Igbos are far ahead in the gospel music sector.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: South South Is Taking Over The Music Industry by Nobody: 10:48pm On Nov 01, 2021
g0tze:
Some peeps like this one want to Stoke the embers of tribalism here but can't

Am a tribalist 24/7 but it doesn't mean am wrong when I say he's still a one hit wonder. I may be wrong after 2 years later after he drops other singles.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: South South Is Taking Over The Music Industry by Ekealterego: 10:49pm On Nov 01, 2021
WesternOligarch:

Burna boy is clearly an ijaw boy, but am not interested in arguing that.
Burna is not clearly an Ijaw boy... He is from so many places that he himself is confused.
His father is Mbiama (Edo speaking people close to Ijaw and Igbo), some of his uncles being Igbos/Igboids. His uncle is the popular Pastor Kingsley Okonkwo.

His mother is probably an Edo/Yoruba mix.

I guess he is comfortable being anything, although he calls himself, "Odogwu".
Re: South South Is Taking Over The Music Industry by Nobody: 10:51pm On Nov 01, 2021
SpatialKing:

Nothing like Music Power house about the west
Just like you have your own popular style other regions have theirs,
The east has Highlife, bongu, etc

Lets all be big enough to give credit where due without making excuses that cannot stand intellectual scrutiny.

Nothing to do with style bro. To put it in Naija-centric lingo, na the best music dey cross water.

That is what music produced by Yorubas does better than that other Nigerians produce. It appeals to the world outside Africa better.

That is why it is mainly Yorubas who are the bona-fide international superstars of Nigerian music.

No Briton will tell you some indy band, big in Manchester or the North of England alone, are bigger superstars than Stormzy, Seal or Amy Winehouse. Lets be real here bro.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South Is Taking Over The Music Industry by Igboid: 10:51pm On Nov 01, 2021
Ekealterego:

Burna is not clearly an Ijaw boy... He is from so many places that he himself is confused.
His father is Mbiama (Edo speaking people close to Ijaw and Igbo), some of his uncles being Igbos/Igboids. His uncle is the popular Pastor Kingsley Okonkwo.

Burna is from Engenni.
Engenni are more like Isoko people. Their language is Edoid.
But Ijaw like we already agreed is not an ethnic group, but a franchise.
Engenni identify politically as Ijaws even when they are ethnically not Ijaws.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South Is Taking Over The Music Industry by Justmesagi: 10:52pm On Nov 01, 2021
house10s:
soo nah to dey separate our selves we dey now shey soon all d awards go dey go one side cause dem b from one side.

Calm down, nobody is separating. It's just my harmless observation.
Re: South South Is Taking Over The Music Industry by Nobody: 10:54pm On Nov 01, 2021
Justmesagi:
I noticed Westerners (avoiding to use Yoruba to prevent tribalism) have almost closed the gap in comedy too. Before, the South South is indisputably the champion in that sector.

Largely thanks to IG and other social media.....it made entry into the sector very easy.

1 Like

Re: South South Is Taking Over The Music Industry by Igboid: 10:54pm On Nov 01, 2021
bigpriik:

Ahoada West is not entirely Igboid.
It's Ahoada East that is entirely Igboid.
Ekpeye people (Igboid) share Ahoada West with Engenni (Burna boy ethnic group).
Engenni is an Edoid language closely related to Isoko and Urhobo.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South Is Taking Over The Music Industry by Ekealterego: 10:55pm On Nov 01, 2021
LegendHero:

Na Flavor I like pass. The guy get better voice and sings some cool music until lately when he somehow just relax.

What about Tekno? Them dey always Jam Tekno song wella for USA lounge and clubs. Even for places you won’t imagine self.
I think Flavour didn't relax, he just went a little bit more traditional promoting more of Igbo music than "national" music.... his streaming numbers are not bad considering the type of music he is making... I like the way he is promoting Igbo music globally.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South Is Taking Over The Music Industry by Justmesagi: 10:57pm On Nov 01, 2021
WesternOligarch:

Largely thanks to IG and other social media.....it made entry into the sector very easy.
Yeah.
Re: South South Is Taking Over The Music Industry by EraseTheDot: 10:58pm On Nov 01, 2021
Ekealterego:

Why do ibos always lie and twist facts, why?.. u sha wan give Burna false ibo blood by force, why?

- erase the dot

3 Likes

Re: South South Is Taking Over The Music Industry by Igboid: 10:59pm On Nov 01, 2021
Justmesagi:

How has the west closed the gap on comedy?

Comedy is still well led by SS and SE.
Comedy I think of Elenu, Macroni and maybe Broda shaggy.
But SE has (Pragya, Sabinus, Aloma,Brain jotter, and many more)
SS has quite a long list o can't remember now.
Re: South South Is Taking Over The Music Industry by Ekealterego: 10:59pm On Nov 01, 2021
Igboid:

Burna is from Engenni.
Engenni are more like Isoko people. Their language is Edoid.
But Ijaw like we already agreed is not an ethnic group, but a franchise.
Engenni identify politically as Ijaws even when they are ethnically not Ijaws.
Mbiama is in Engenni.... Engenni people are also a confused people...cos they are very small too... They are all comers when it comes to identification. They say they are from Bini but are brothers with Urhobo but follow Ijaw when it is convenient and then always have Igbo middle or surnames but hold firmly their Engenni independence. Well, I don't think they have more than 20k people in total.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South Is Taking Over The Music Industry by LegendHero(m): 11:01pm On Nov 01, 2021
Ekealterego:

I think Flavour didn't relax, he just went a little bit more traditional promoting more of Igbo music than "national" music.... his streaming numbers are not bad considering the type of music he is making... I like the way he is promoting Igbo music globally.

You’re right. The likes of Flavor and kcee are more of promoting Igbo music these days. Especially with the cultural dance music of Kcee.

That’s what they should do. Nurture young artists also in that line and push back to the mainstream that Afro-pop Igbo kinda music.

Phyno successfully did that. Hit back to back with touch of Igbo language which is widely accepted everywhere.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: South South Is Taking Over The Music Industry by Nobody: 11:02pm On Nov 01, 2021
Ekealterego:

Mbiama is in Engenni.... Engenni people are also a confused people...cos they are very small too... They are all comers when it comes to identification. They say they are from Bini but are brothers with Urhobo but follow Ijaw when it is convenient and then always have Igbo middle or surnames but hold firmly their Engenni independence. Well, I don't think they have more than 20k people in total.

E dey una body. They are confused because they don't recognize as Igbos....

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South Is Taking Over The Music Industry by Justmesagi: 11:03pm On Nov 01, 2021
Igboid:

Yeah. I meant there was not as many as famous comedian from the West as there are now.
Re: South South Is Taking Over The Music Industry by LegendHero(m): 11:03pm On Nov 01, 2021
Igboid:

I think I will give the comedy to the South South.

Besides all those bovi, I go Dye, they have some Instagram comedians along that Edo-Delta line making waves.

But when it comes to monetization and the comedy economics, AY na baba for there.

Although AY no dey funny that much to me, but he’s able to get something’s right about his shows.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South Is Taking Over The Music Industry by Igboid: 11:03pm On Nov 01, 2021
WesternOligarch:

Lol.....ckay is just a one hit wonder unfortunately. Streams are good but these guys have won awards and performed on international audiences closing down stadiums and areanas and tems is relatively new but she already has a feature with drake.....from fela to dbanj to wizkid yorubas changed the music industry and are even doing epic stuff in the movie industry with the likes of Kemi Adetiba and kunle afonlayan.

If my one hit beat your combined 100 hits, then it's more than one hit wonder.

CKay created a music that appealed to the world. Asians, South Americans, Americans, Canadians, Africans, name it. Everyone is singing "ah ah aha aha"!
It's not an easy feat.
I was in a global Facebook page and someone from Dominican republic was looking for the lyrics and interpretation of the lyrics of the song. I was so proud to interpret the song.

Go to his U-tube and see comments from people from all the races of the world going crazy about the song.
You don't chalk it all up "one hit wonder".

3 Likes

Re: South South Is Taking Over The Music Industry by Justmesagi: 11:05pm On Nov 01, 2021
bigpriik:

Burna is Ijaw, and he said it by himself.

1 Like

Re: South South Is Taking Over The Music Industry by Ekealterego: 11:06pm On Nov 01, 2021
Igboid:

It depends on what type of comedy too.. stand-up nationally is a dying craft... But South South and East (Basket mouth, Okey Bakassi, klint the drunk, Buchi, etc) were quite ahead of the West even till today.

However, when it comes to skit, I think the West are doing great but the East still edges it. No one does the numbers Emmanuella and Markangel does on platforms. Crazy clown was also one of the trend setters... but they still have Sydney Walker, Nastyblaq (Who are all easterners)

However, the West also have a lot of good ones like Macaroni, Tao etc. but I think some of them are limited because they appeal more to a region against people like Emmanuella that have a global audience for instance.

3 Likes

Re: South South Is Taking Over The Music Industry by Nobody: 11:07pm On Nov 01, 2021
Igboid:

If my one hit beat your combined 100 hits, then it's more than one hit wonder.

CKay created a music that appealed to the world. Asians, South Americans, Americans, Canadians, Africans, name it.
Go to his U-tube and see comments from people from all the races of the world going crazy about the song.
You don't chalk it all up "one hit wonder".

Maybe you should Google what one hit wonder means......plus even people from Afghanistan dance and comment on olamides videos.......it's continuity that matters.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South Is Taking Over The Music Industry by Igboid: 11:08pm On Nov 01, 2021
Ekealterego:

It depends on what type of comedy too.. stand-up nationally is a dying craft... But South South and East (Basket mouth, Okey Bakassi, klint the drunk, Buchi, etc) were quite ahead of the West even till today.

However, when it comes to skit, I think the West are doing great but the East still edges it. No one does the numbers Emmanuella and Markangel does on platforms. Crazy clown was also one of the trend setters... but they still have Sydney Walker, Nastyblaq (Who are all easterners)

However, the West also have a lot of good ones like Macaroni, Tao etc. but I think some of them are limited because they appeal more to a region against people like Emmanuella that have a global audience for instance.

Sydney walker is Edo though.
SE leads by far in the Skit comedy industry.
The margin of lead is not even close.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: South South Is Taking Over The Music Industry by Igboid: 11:08pm On Nov 01, 2021
WesternOligarch:

Maybe you should Google what one hit wonder means......plus even people from Afghanistan dance and comment on olamides videos.......it's continuity that matters.

None of Olamide songs will hit the numbers that song did.
You have to respect that.
Re: South South Is Taking Over The Music Industry by Nobody: 11:09pm On Nov 01, 2021
SpatialKing:

Run town
Patoranking
Are all contributing

Don't know about flavour mate. I am talking O2 Arena and dem big venue affairs bro. If Flavour played a UK Venue it would have to be small because mainly Igbos in the UK would show up. Same. For 9ice the Gongo Aso crooner. Na Yorubas go dey there.

Whereas Burna, Wizkid, Tems, Tiwa, Davido will pack out the biggest venues with a mixed crowd. That's what popular music, that creates superstars, is about.

Runtown has done okay in Africa especially collabos with artists like Sarkodie etal. Similar with Patoranking who is somewhat a dancehall phenomenon . They're not global though with broad appeal. That's the truth

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Juvenile's Wife And Daughters Murdered / Timaya- Dem Mama (cutlass Anthem Remix) / Jesse Jagz - Murder Dem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.