Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,917 members, 7,835,063 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:55 AM

Nigerians Think They Are Smart But Really: - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Think They Are Smart But Really: (14877 Views)

Yorubas Are Cowards ....... But Really ?? / GEJ - Nigerians Think I Am Slow Because I Avoid Taking Hasty Decisions / Why Do Nigerians Think Ghanaians Hate Them?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Think They Are Smart But Really: by NaijaPoPo: 11:36am On Jun 06, 2011
@Gbawo
While we do not put Nigerians down, we should also not be afraid to face the truth. Nigerians think they have it all when it comes to smartness, if that is the case, why are we still lagging behind in so many ways, why are we being listed as a corrupt nation, its not like other countries like America Japan, China, south Africa, Ghana and other countries are not corrupt, only they practice their corruption with smartness,
Re: Nigerians Think They Are Smart But Really: by buzugee(m): 11:41am On Jun 06, 2011
nigerians are book-smart but have a paucity of critical-thinking smartness. and comparing us to the Chinese and Jews is grossly unfair. they are not a 'visible minority'. they have it easier than us in the uk and america
Re: Nigerians Think They Are Smart But Really: by OmoTier1(m): 11:56am On Jun 06, 2011
cap28:

Nigerians in my opinion are the most delusional set of human beings on the face of the planet.

How on earth can any nigerian say with a straight face that they are a nation of smart people when they havent even been able to throw off the shackles of colonialism?

surely a smart people would first of all focus on the right to self determination before any other thing.

I couldnt help but laugh when one poster mentioned the nigerian that is involved in the Gatwick airport partnership - okay for the sake of argument - so what if he "owns" it - what difference does that make to the average nigerian? does he have any say in the hiring and firing that goes on in that company?  
Does his presence in that company add value to the lives of the average nigerian?

The fact of the matter is that nigerians brag about superficial minutiae that make no real difference when you take the time to look at the bigger picture.  

Nigeria is a wealthy nation but  still under the control of  foreigners - Shell, Chevron and Exxon Mobil  exert massive control over the nigerian govt, the international banking institutions which incidentally are controlled and run by Jews exert massive financial control over our own central bank, lebanese , indians and chinese are moving into nigeria at a rapid rate and are setting up businesses, hiring indigenous  nigerians and paying them a pittance (with the support of the nigerian govt) and some nigerians still have the nerve to talk about being smart.
Where have  you seen a nation that gives prefere4ntial treatment to foreigners at the expense of its own people?
Can a nigerian dream of going to india, china or lebanon to buy up a business for next to nothing and then hire the indigenous people and pay them a pittance with the support of that country's govt?

There is a big difference between acquiring academic knowledge (which by the way is not that difficult to do, because all you really need to have is the ability to regurgitate information fed to you by somebody else) and developing wisdom and self awareness.  Nigerians are good at soaking up western education and extollign the virtues of western ideology, forgetting that many of these ideas were tailored to suit the western culture that they were created for.  Isnt it about time we came up with our own economic theories and ideals which will be more suited to our own unique cultures and traditions instead of being proud to be told by western academics how good we are at learning, copying and regurgitating THEIR ideas?

The fact of the matter is that it is so easy to  copy somebody else's template, nobody respects people who cant come up with their own ideas.  The reason that the europeans respect the japanese and chinese is because they are innovators and pace setters not followers, this is why they are treated as equals and allowed a seat at the table of important nations of the world.  Nigeria is a follower nation - content to copy and pretend as if that somehow makes you a nation to be reckoned with.

Lets stop this self deception and start looking inward, we need visionaries and innovators not half baked copy cats who are content to keep doing what has been done centuries ago.

Sorry yo have made no point! That the whole SOUTH- WEST UK electricity distribution is owned by American company does not mean BRIST aint SMART okay! That e-on a French company now controls close to 68% of UK Nuclear energy generation does not mean the BRISTs are not SMART. I do not know where you got this assertion from that CBN is control by some jews! I hate conspiracy thoerist just like i abhore evil.

All the above you mention, .i.e inventors, blah, blah, we have them in abundance. The real substance you left out is lack of collective aspiration of what we Nigerians actually want to become or known for - an issue that can be hinged on leadership/rulership.
Re: Nigerians Think They Are Smart But Really: by Opusdeii(f): 12:04pm On Jun 06, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

Okay maybe it is pertinent for me to stay alittle while and I will respond thus;

Firstly, I seek to differ  with your assertion that solutions abound in Nigeria, but the reverse (looking at Nigeria as a whole)is actually the case!How can you arrive at solutions when you fail to comprehend in entirety your challenges? Obvious case of which Nigeria belongs.
Look at Nigeria geographically and you would see a picture clearly spelt out; more progress is made regionally (i.e by collective groups of people who have live there for over 100years) than as a whole!
Permit me to use this trivia example albeit in the hope you would 'see' the picture clearly. It is far easier to find several road networks connecting town and cities within each regions in Nigeria (albeit most not in good shape currently) than you would for region to region and you wonder why this is? The answer lies in living cohesiveness that has developed between the tribes/groups within these region for years, as a result,they now have a collective aspiration of what they want to be like or be known for. Same can not be said of the country as whole 'cos the time frame we have been together as a country is not enough to bring about nationhood 'collective aspiration' and this only come about as time passes by. Can you say collectively but separately, the Hausas, Yorubas, Igbos,Binis,Ijaws are not productive or lack collective aspirations?

What we have currently in Nigeria can be described thus; Individual 'progressive ring' of severally groups ALL inter twined by a 'Massive ring'. And it this massive ring which mends all the individual progressive rings that is failing, and that 'massive ring' is leadership at the FG - the central. Hence such failures, no doubt due to the importance of that massive ring will paint a picture such as postulated by the OP - an opinion I seek to differ on.
In a nutshell, for SMARTNESS to manifest nationally, there must be a nationhood 'collective aspiration' which can only come about by long period of 'living cohessiveness'. China is a very good example. Years ago, Chinese were not seen as SMART atleast by most Westerners however that picture is gradually changing as the peoples through her central leadership has now defined a 'collective aspiration', which is being realized on the platform of 'living cohessivness' albeit with some moral reservations.

@Ilekede-Idi
While your assertion might be true in the US, you fail to consider the proportion of working class population wise. Currently approximately 6millions Nigerians are said to reside in the US compared to how many Latinos/Hispanics? Again issues of social-cultural barriers is another factor!
Unlike in the US, in the UK, Nigerians who graduate from places of higher learning do readily get jobs and currently, despite thier decimated population, Nigerians in UK still rank among groups (other than  BRITS) VERY LIKE to be employed, only slightly behind Indians, and very marginally below Pakistanis even though these two groups have far larger population of working class compared to Nigeria's.Again this is possible 'cos Nigerians in the UK does not suffer much from social-cultral factors (compared to those in the US)mainly due to the period of time Nigerians have "customized" themselves in the UK compared to that of US - Again none of these factors have anything to do with whether Nigerians are SMART or not. They are external factors which can not be used as a yardstick to measure the "SMARTNESS" or otherwise of Nigerians.

If you want to know if "A PEOPLE" is SMART, then examine how they respond to challenges that confront them daily due mainly to EXTERNAL FACTORS. And I am sure when one examines Nigerians through that perspective, no doubt that Nigerians will be adjudged as very SMART!

@omo -tier1- Have been following your discussion with Kobo-junkie. I think most if not all you 've said are on point, you could't have said it any better. kudos to you.
Re: Nigerians Think They Are Smart But Really: by stmarc32(m): 12:04pm On Jun 06, 2011
I guess it all depends on what being smart is , I'd admit when it comes into studying western ideology nigerians are probabbly the best at it but at  what expense? these are the questions we need to ask ourselves.

If we were so smart we should have figured out that Nigeria has gained nothing from associating with the west

If we were so smart wouldn't we be investing in our own culture and ideology, take a look at the medical sector how many illness are easily cured without the use of western drugs in nigeria and africa but of course u are an ajepako once you are sick and your not rushing to the hospital , shouldn't our government sponsor and promote research into these sectors , How do u think the world is going to view Nigeria when we come up with alternative cure to something without the use of drugs or going under the knife,

For us to be deemed smart we need to be pioneers of something in the world, something that can be identified as US , so when you google nigeria the first thing you see is not scam or travel advise warnings , we could learn from the Japanese, take a look at their portable cars, electronics , everytime you see Japan people start to think Toyota Sony e.tc

when it comes to measuring smartness on a western scale we are nothing because we r still trying to be copy cats ,  we are still spokes in the wheel of western capitalism

I was on a trip with a Japanese friend and i asked him what the japs thought about africa, he said we were too quick to sell away our ideology and culture and they had little or no respect because of this.
Re: Nigerians Think They Are Smart But Really: by aribisala0(m): 12:11pm On Jun 06, 2011
some people seem to conflate smartness with intelligence.

for me they are not the same.

intelligent people do not always [b]BEHAVE [/b]intelligently e.g. using drugs,not studying for exams,breaking speed limits,spending more than you earn,
going late to work, arguing with your boss/referees in football etc.

in other words persistently following a path you know to be wrong.
so for me smartness is more a behaivoural than mental thing.even people who are not very  intelligent can be trained to act smartly by acquiring habits that make them achieve twice as much as more intelligent people.

what we need to address is not how intelligent we might be but how do we behave from a collective perspective
Re: Nigerians Think They Are Smart But Really: by OmoTier1(m): 12:27pm On Jun 06, 2011
@all,
Don't you all agree that we discussing this issue is in itself a 'mark' of SMARTNESS? Why because we are seeking albeit in the alternative (as oppose to through our leadership)to define a nationhood collective aspiration we can all seek to work towards.

Check the history books and you would realized that nations we claim today are SMART did exactly what we are doing on here and after a certain period of living cohesiveness, thier SMARTNESS became evident to all! Watch out, Nigeria will not be different!
Re: Nigerians Think They Are Smart But Really: by OmoTier1(m): 12:43pm On Jun 06, 2011
aribisala0:

some people seem to conflate smartness with intelligence.

for me they are not the same.

intelligent people do not always [b]BEHAVE [/b]intelligently e.g. using drugs,not studying for exams,breaking speed limits,spending more than you earn,
going late to work, arguing with your boss/referees in football etc.

in other words persistently following a path you know to be wrong.
so for me smartness is more a behaivoural than mental thing.even people who are not very  intelligent can be trained to act smartly by acquiring habits that make them achieve twice as much as more intelligent people.

what we need to address is not how intelligent we might be but how do we behave from a collective perspective
Well may be you first need to understand that SMARTNESS is the practical result of "INTELLIGENT REASONING RIGHTLY APPLIED to overcome challenges either of the now or in the near future.
Hence, the opposite of SMARTNESS is FOOLISHNESS!which can be said to be the "INTELLIGENT REASONING WRONGLY APPLIED" to overcome percieved challenges.

From the above said, if your earlier assertion that Nigerians are not SMART, is true then we must be FOOLISH!

What you are avoiding is the earnest truth that the collective behaviour you seek can not be defined individually, rather through purposeful leadership framed over very long years of living cohesiveness - that is the bitter truth and we must all be patient and continiously turn the will of nationhood with forthrightness in our individual acts daily!
Re: Nigerians Think They Are Smart But Really: by Dsense(m): 1:37pm On Jun 06, 2011
**Walks in and laughs . .walking out** grin
Re: Nigerians Think They Are Smart But Really: by Kobojunkie: 1:47pm On Jun 06, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

Okay maybe it is pertinent for me to stay alittle while and I will respond thus;

Firstly, I seek to differ  with your assertion that solutions abound in Nigeria, but the reverse (looking at Nigeria as a whole)is actually the case!How can you arrive at solutions when you fail to comprehend in entirety your challenges?  

You mentioned earlier that given the state of the world today, we do not need to re-invent the wheels -- all we need do in most cases, is apply already tried and tested solutions to our situation. Our geography has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with much of our problems because, even in the worst terrains, there is government in place at all levels to tackle whatever problems there may be.

Now comprehension of the problem -- let's go with that for a bit. An example of a problem ---no good roads. What should the government do in that situation? Fix the roads, right? Government would not need to hire PHDs to know this simple solution, right? Unfortunately, even our PHD leaders have a hard time applying that simply solution, even when the resources are available. Instead, everyone tries to weave a complicated story around the problem, and at the end of the day NOTHING.

Omo_Tier1:

Permit me to use this trivia example albeit in the hope you would 'see' the picture clearly. It is far easier to find several road networks connecting town and cities within each regions in Nigeria (albeit most not in good shape currently) than you would for region to region and you wonder why this is? The answer lies in living cohesiveness that has developed between the tribes/groups within these region for years, as a result,they now have a collective aspiration of what they want to be like or be known for.
Here's the simple reason behind your observation there -- the Federal Government is responsible for about 99.9% of the roads connecting regions to regions. Since the Federal government fails has continued to fail at it's work (of restoring and maintaining many of those regional road networks), those roads remain in the state they are today. It is really that simple  -- there is no need to create overly complicated reasons for this when we already know the situation.

Cohesiveness of tribes/groups is not a reason for why the Federal Government has remained inept for decades. I mean at the Federal level, that shouldn't even matter, especially when roads are concerned.

Omo_Tier1:

What we have currently in Nigeria can be described thus; Individual 'progressive ring' of severally groups ALL inter twined by a 'Massive ring'. And it this massive ring which mends all the individual progressive rings that is failing, and that 'massive ring' is leadership at the FG - the central. Hence such failures, no doubt due to the importance of that massive ring will paint a picture such as postulated by the OP - an opinion I seek to differ on.
In a nutshell, for SMARTNESS to manifest nationally, there must be a nationhood 'collective aspiration' which can only come about by long period of 'living cohessiveness'. China is a very good example. Years ago, Chinese were not seen as SMART atleast by most Westerners however that picture is gradually changing as the peoples through her central leadership has now defined a 'collective aspiration', which is being realized on the platform of 'living cohessivness' albeit with some moral reservations.

I still think, after reading your post, that you do not understand what the @Poster is getting at.  You keep trying to tie this to tribal/cultural divide when it likely has absolutely nothing to do with that. I mentioned over and over that even at the tribal level, you find the same problem. Pick a town/village in anywhere Nigeria, and you will find the same level of decay and rot even when you have none of the tribal/ethnic divides.

There are successful companies in Nigeria that can help you put your tribal-divide-is-to-blame reasoning to rest here. These same company hire Nigerians from all parts of the country(different tribes, religion etc). At the end of the day, these groups work well with each other -- they do not have to kiss and hug each other to do that but they work towards the good of the company.

Yes, SMARTNESS has to do with how we respond to challenges, and if you follow that, you will see that even at the ethnic/religious levels, and the national levels, SMARTNESS is lacking.
Re: Nigerians Think They Are Smart But Really: by Kobojunkie: 1:54pm On Jun 06, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

@all,
Don't you all agree that we discussing this issue is in itself a 'mark' of SMARTNESS? Why because we are seeking albeit in the alternative (as oppose to through our leadership)to define a nationhood collective aspiration we can all seek to work towards.

We are not 150 million Nigerians. We've discussed this over the last 4 years(actually longer than that considering similar conversations go on each day in beer parlors, and stores all over Nigeria). Talking is just admitting that there is a situation -- does not necessarily mean we even comprehend the problem.

Omo_Tier1:

Check the history books and you would realized that nations we claim today are SMART did exactly what we are doing on here and after a certain period of living cohesiveness, thier SMARTNESS became evident to all! Watch out, Nigeria will not be different!

The same history books tell you that they did more than talk of how smart or unsmart they were. These nations confronted their UN-SMARTNESS head on, and developed analytical, critical-thinking, problem-solving skills which helped, and continue to help them solve problems to this day.

Talking about the problem is not in itself SMARTNESS -- when you start applying the criticial thinking skills you have acquired to solving the problems, THEN you can claim SMARTNESS. Else, we are doing what millions of Nigerians do each day, and have done for decades -- talking about the problem but never really solving them. Now before someone jumps in to ask me the decades stoopid question "what have you done to solve the problem?" the answer is, as individuals we excel but what we need now is to excel as a group and no one person is a group.
Re: Nigerians Think They Are Smart But Really: by cap28: 2:12pm On Jun 06, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

Sorry yo have made no point! That the whole SOUTH- WEST UK electricity distribution is owned by American company does not mean BRIST aint SMART okay! That e-on a French company now controls close to 68% of UK Nuclear energy generation does not mean the BRISTs are not SMART. I do not know where you got this assertion from that CBN is control by some jews! I hate conspiracy thoerist just like i abhore evil.

All the above you mention, .i.e inventors, blah, blah, we have them in abundance. The real substance you left out is lack of collective aspiration of what we Nigerians actually want to become or known for - an issue that can be hinged on leadership/rulership.

Eon is german owned and south west UK is jointly owned by the french and americans - which came as a suprise to me, but the point is that they are all run and controlled by their own people (europeans) in my book americans are also europeans and their board of directors are all europeans at no point have the british handed over full control of their energy sector to africans, chinese or indians - unlike in nigeria where NITEL is up for grabs to anyone who can raise the cash,  irrespective of nationality.  Shell , exxon mobil and chevron control are all european controlled oil companies but they run and control the federal govt of nigeria - isnt that a slap in the face for a group of people who claim to be "smart"?

so we have inventors in nigeria - where are they? let me guess- all working in america or europe?

you can hate conspiracy theories all you want but there is no hiding from the truth - nigeria's monetary policy is controlled by the IMF and the world bank which in turn is controlled by some of the most powerful jewish banking families in europe.

collective aspiration will remain a mirage for nigerians because we have no unified vision, language or ideology, until the artificial construct created by europeans  is split up we will continue going around in circles.
Re: Nigerians Think They Are Smart But Really: by ow11(m): 3:08pm On Jun 06, 2011
Until we can fix our country, Nigerians will remain amongst the clueless set of people on earth!

For all their technical ability, Selim Ben Achour, Rabiu Ibrahim, Ariel Ortega, Marcelo Delgado and their likes will be mentioned in lower circles than Frank Lampard or Didier Deschamps.

If you can't channel your supposed 'intelligence' to produce results, then you haven't cut it yet. Nigerians have existed for millenia and couldn't muster the ability to build sails to conquer the oceans or melt the Ajali sandstone to produce mirrors. 50 years after independence, the 'insanely smart' people allow idiots to rule them and still import everything they eat, drink, wear and drive. Maybe perhaps the so-called idiots are smart enough to keep the genuises under lock and key and same genuises can't figure out how to get out of jail!

Some respondents retort with academic results which is a mastery of theories propounded by MEN and should count for nothing as it is nothing new or special. 

We need threads like this to tell us the truth. It isn't about the money but about self-determination.
Re: Nigerians Think They Are Smart But Really: by Maximip(m): 3:23pm On Jun 06, 2011
Ahan, Everybody is just eager to say how non-smart Nigerians are. Even Nigerians.

Anyway, Nigerians really are not smart. The situation is eve worsened.
Re: Nigerians Think They Are Smart But Really: by monkeyleg: 4:08pm On Jun 06, 2011
Nope it has very little to do with living with each other, but more to do with our inbuilt selfish nature. That is were we get it all wrong.

Simple examples, ask Nigerians to come together to choose a leader and we can not have a unifying view of who we want to lead us

Ask Nigerians to come together an form or run a company. before you know it, EGO's have come into play, everyone wants to be the owner or leader of the company.

I have 3 friends who are good at what they do individually. I sit back and see that if they come together, they will be a force to be reckorned with. But pride would not let them come together for the common good, each of the 3 wants his or her name in lights.

Nigerians are simply selfish, greedy, and sometimes downright wicked. They is a saying "Jealously, Hate and Greed is why Nigerians cant succeed"
Re: Nigerians Think They Are Smart But Really: by Kilode1: 4:12pm On Jun 06, 2011
cap28:

Nigerians in my opinion are the most delusional set of human beings on the face of the planet.

How on earth can any nigerian say with a straight face that they are a nation of smart people when they havent even been able to throw off the shackles of colonialism?

surely a smart people would first of all focus on the right to self determination before any other thing.

I couldnt help but laugh when one poster mentioned the nigerian that is involved in the Gatwick airport partnership - okay for the sake of argument - so what if he "owns" it - what difference does that make to the average nigerian? does he have any say in the hiring and firing that goes on in that company?

Does his presence in that company add value to the lives of the average nigerian?

The fact of the matter is that nigerians brag about superficial minutiae that make no real difference when you take the time to look at the bigger picture.

Nigeria is a wealthy nation but still under the control of foreigners - Shell, Chevron and Exxon Mobil exert massive control over the nigerian govt, the international banking institutions which incidentally are controlled and run by Jews exert massive financial control over our own central bank, lebanese , indians and chinese are moving into nigeria at a rapid rate and are setting up businesses, hiring indigenous nigerians and paying them a pittance (with the support of the nigerian govt) and some nigerians still have the nerve to talk about being smart.

Where have you seen a nation that gives prefere4ntial treatment to foreigners at the expense of its own people?[/b]Can a nigerian dream of going to india, china or lebanon to buy up a business for next to nothing and then hire the indigenous people and pay them a pittance with the support of that country's govt?

[b]There is a big difference between acquiring academic knowledge (which by the way is not that difficult to do, because all you really need to have is the ability to regurgitate information fed to you by somebody else) and developing wisdom and self awareness. Nigerians are good at soaking up western education and extollign the virtues of western ideology, forgetting that many of these ideas were tailored to suit the western culture that they were created for.
Isnt it about time we came up with our own economic theories and ideals which will be more suited to our own unique cultures and traditions instead of being proud to be told by western academics how good we are at learning, copying and regurgitating THEIR ideas?

The fact of the matter is that it is so easy to copy somebody else's template, nobody respects people who cant come up with their own ideas. The reason that the europeans respect the japanese and chinese is because they are innovators and pace setters not followers, this is why they are treated as equals and allowed a seat at the table of important nations of the world. Nigeria is a follower nation - content to copy and pretend as if that somehow makes you a nation to be reckoned with.

Lets stop this self deception and start looking inward, we need visionaries and innovators not half baked copy cats who are content to keep doing what has been done centuries ago.

Truth
Re: Nigerians Think They Are Smart But Really: by Kilode1: 4:17pm On Jun 06, 2011
monkeyleg:

Nope it has very little to do with living with each other, but more to do with our inbuilt selfish nature. That is were we get it all wrong.

Simple examples, ask Nigerians to come together to choose a leader and we can not have a unifying view of who we want to lead us

Ask Nigerians to come together an form or run a company. before you know it, EGO's have come into play, everyone wants to be the owner or leader of the company.

I have 3 friends who are good at what they do individually. I sit back and see that if they come together, they will be a force to be reckorned with. But pride would not let them come together for the common good, each of the 3 wants his or her name in lights.

Nigerians are simply selfish, greedy, and sometimes downright wicked. They is a saying "Jealously, Hate and G

Selfishness is universal, it's not peculiar to us and we are not more selfish than others, infact I'll argue that we are less selfish

You are close to it, but you are yet to identify it. I will like you to try again. I can feel it though, you are almost there.
Re: Nigerians Think They Are Smart But Really: by Guardian(m): 5:21pm On Jun 06, 2011
Aribisala,

YOU HAVE SAID IT ALL NIGERIANS THINK THEY ARE SMART BUT REALLY THEY ARE THE Dxxxx

Let's start the Count. 

Arabs - run our construction industry, restaurants, the best of our so called hotels and hospitality industry. 
Indians- run 60% of auto industry, build and run our telecomms, manufacture 70% of home consumer goods and food from Ororo-groundnut oil, noodles, milk, e.t.c to Rice - The most
Indians - run most of our so called best super markets and the electronic stores
British- help us in manipulating our minds to the extent we can't lay a finger on how and why we employ above 50yrs old Foreign Diploma graduate over a Nigerian in Diaspora.
British-  Have succeded in trading university education to Nigerians like a market store commodity and they are making millions in £ Pounds stirling from Nigerian
Chinese - They are helping us mortgage our Crude oil in payment for cheap, below world class standard rail-way, electrical and worthless satellite projects

Tell me are we really SMART sad

Because all the monies they make from our being SMART get's funneled back into their economies in their own country via our own banks.

And they still call us BLACK !!
Re: Nigerians Think They Are Smart But Really: by AjanleKoko: 5:39pm On Jun 06, 2011
It's more like Nigerians are the loudest blacks on the planet. We also have a lot of oil money to steal, so we use that to sustain the noise levels. grin
Re: Nigerians Think They Are Smart But Really: by cap28: 5:46pm On Jun 06, 2011
^^^^^

hahaha -its so tragic you have to laugh, by the way here is an excerpt from an email sent by a german expatriate based in nigeria to a friend of his back in germany a few years ago:

Behrend,

Wish you a very MERRY CHRISTMAS and a real exciting NEW YEAR. I miss you so much . I miss all the action there…all the fun… He !

But the only thing that makes it better is the good atmosphere at work : Too many projects to control, in different fields, a lot of experience to get, and the ****** guys here are real close and gentle, we leave like brothers than when we ar at home!… Believe it or not we’re working not less then 13 hours each day !

Most of Nigerian people are real poor and dirty!: schwarz ist nicht gut, Es ist eine Krankheit! but they very smart and it amase me many times how smart good they are…but you will be really shocked when you see the way they live…there houses built by sand…

Their foods like posion and better than what you will feed Gerhard with!  …their wear like rags, ! And the big guys of the government, those who are in power…you don’t mant to know how reach they are : Wörter werden sich wie reich nicht zeigen!!!! And they still want and beg us to come to their villages with them, go around town with them, even pay. Hannes and Rafael wher paid to come to a party!! Nigeria government people want people to see white men around them…komische Leute!!!

[b]Anyway, our situation here is a lot better : We have our own house, and three Nigerian guys to cook and clean…we have uncounted mobile armed guard with AK47 that stay with us 24/7, I have two pamanent drivers that drive me around sites and towns, he works as long as I work, only for 125£ every monts, we have big how with fence and big like Brandenburger!!! I am more than president ******* here in Nigeria …we also have television with dish, stereo, AC…and each one of us has a brand new car: a 507 peugeot designed especially for Nigerian roads that most of it are still made with sand without asphalt (those are the roads inside the towns), still they have good highways that link the cities with each other.

Prostituierte! Prostituierte!! Every where, for 10$! and the fine girls that are good are also Prostituierte for 15$, Ich habe nichts wie das vorher gesehen!, the girl will do anything for money! Rafael use mädchen howless and to abuse them with sex and treet them like sluts and dogs every night with different mädchen … schlecht und verrückt! Sometimes we stay in camp’s common room and watch via CCTV!!!! At midnights… [/b]

I am just few months, but I will always keep you posted….Bye and greetings to Janh!
http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/rowland-adewumi/an-expatriates-email-from-nigeria.html

They are in our country amassing wealth, abusing our women , laughing in our faces and yet some delusional folk on here actually have the nerve to talk about us being smart - newsflash!!!! - they think we're fools.
Re: Nigerians Think They Are Smart But Really: by lagcity(m): 6:58pm On Jun 06, 2011
these Indians and Chinese you talk of also have their own problems. i like the Nigerian optimistic and can-do attitude. Nigerian abroad will be more successful if we are more united.
Re: Nigerians Think They Are Smart But Really: by aribisala0(m): 7:23pm On Jun 06, 2011
being united is part of being smart.no?
Re: Nigerians Think They Are Smart But Really: by Thirst4Lif: 7:38pm On Jun 06, 2011
Nigerians are good at soaking up western education and extollign the virtues of western ideology, forgetting that many of these ideas were tailored to suit the western culture that they were created for.

Very true statement!
Re: Nigerians Think They Are Smart But Really: by Kobojunkie: 7:41pm On Jun 06, 2011
^^ I don't believe that is the problem. We never really apply the Western solutions in the first place. So, that ain't even the problem.
Re: Nigerians Think They Are Smart But Really: by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jun 06, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

Firstly, I seek to differ  with your assertion that solutions abound in Nigeria, but the reverse (looking at Nigeria as a whole)is actually the case!How can you arrive at solutions when you fail to comprehend in entirety your challenges? Obvious case of which Nigeria belongs.
Look at Nigeria geographically and you would see a picture clearly spelt out; more progress is made regionally (i.e by collective groups of people who have live there for over 100years) than as a whole!
Permit me to use this trivia example albeit in the hope you would 'see' the picture clearly. It is far easier to find several road networks connecting town and cities within each regions in Nigeria (albeit most not in good shape currently) than you would for region to region and you wonder why this is? The answer lies in living cohesiveness that has developed between the tribes/groups within these region for years, as a result,they now have a collective aspiration of what they want to be like or be known for. Same can not be said of the country as whole 'cos the time frame we have been together as a country is not enough to bring about nationhood 'collective aspiration' and this only come about as time passes by. Can you say collectively but separately, the Hausas, Yorubas, Igbos,Binis,Ijaws are not productive or lack collective aspirations?

@Ilekede-Idi
While your assertion might be true in the US, you fail to consider the proportion of working class population wise. Currently approximately 6millions Nigerians are said to reside in the US compared to how many Latinos/Hispanics? Again issues of social-cultural barriers is another factor!
Unlike in the US, in the UK, Nigerians who graduate from places of higher learning do readily get jobs and currently, despite thier decimated population, Nigerians in UK still rank among groups (other than  BRITS) VERY LIKE to be employed, only slightly behind Indians, and very marginally below Pakistanis even though these two groups have far larger population of working class compared to Nigeria's.Again this is possible 'cos Nigerians in the UK does not suffer much from social-cultral factors (compared to those in the US)mainly due to the period of time Nigerians have "customized" themselves in the UK compared to that of US - Again none of these factors have anything to do with whether Nigerians are SMART or not. They are external factors which can not be used as a yardstick to measure the "SMARTNESS" or otherwise of Nigerians.

If you want to know if "A PEOPLE" is SMART, then examine how they respond to challenges that confront them daily due mainly to EXTERNAL FACTORS. And I am sure when one examines Nigerians through that perspective, no doubt that Nigerians will be adjudged as very SMART!

I'm talking about international students status.

For Latino/Indian/Chinese international students organization, they already have companies ready to employ them even before they finish off their senior year or masters.

Here we just have African organizations and communities just throwing parties up and down.
Re: Nigerians Think They Are Smart But Really: by lagcity(m): 4:04am On Jun 07, 2011
aribisala0:

being united is part of being smart.no?

true, being united is part of being smart. But, Nigerians suceeding against all odds in foreign countries (despite lack of unity) is simply genius. wink

my Naija ppl, i hail una ooo. 3 gbosas for you wherever una dey!!! make una no forget home ooo.
Re: Nigerians Think They Are Smart But Really: by Nobody: 4:44am On Jun 07, 2011
lagcity:

true, being united is part of being smart. But, Nigerians suceeding against all odds in foreign countries (despite lack of unity) is simply genius. wink

my Naija ppl, i hail una ooo. 3 gbosas for you wherever una dey!!! make una no forget home ooo.

Which Nigerian is succeeding?

Name one that is as successful as the European/Asian/Latino immigrants. We continue to work under those people.

Shey the successful Nigerians that get killed everyday or which ones?
Re: Nigerians Think They Are Smart But Really: by Kobojunkie: 4:50am On Jun 07, 2011
lagcity:

What Odds? Ain't those the very same odds other immigrants face and conquer as well? Why are we geniuses for doing what others do? undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Nigerians Think They Are Smart But Really: by lagcity(m): 6:29am On Jun 07, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Which Nigerian is succeeding?

Name one that is as successful as the European/Asian/Latino immigrants. We continue to work under those people.

Shey the successful Nigerians that get killed everyday or which ones?

Kase lawal is pretty successful. stop comparing us with Europeans or Jews, they own America. yes they do! stop lumping Asians together. u wanna talk abt chinese, they were here way before us and they are not doing better. the indians, they are not doing better than us in America if you take their population into account. yes i know: they have vikram pandit and bobby jindal.  the pakistanis? please don't even go there. the bangladeshis? are u kidding me? the cambodians? the vietnamese?
what latinos do you have in mind? the mexicans? how are they doing better than us? they have a huge poulation, NAFTA and a widely-spoken language in America. still, they are punching way below their weight, economically and politically. those Mexicans can be very powerful if they get their acts together. actually, they are quite powerful. . . IN JAIL lipsrsealed i hope the mexican mafia don't see this. cry

i am not saying Nigerians are all that. but we aint doing as badly as some here would like us to believe. we are mediocre all becos of our disunity. as for the confidence and/or arrogance, just let it be ppl. that's not going to change.
Re: Nigerians Think They Are Smart But Really: by moremi2008(m): 9:35am On Jun 07, 2011
lagcity:

Kase lawal is pretty successful. stop comparing us with Europeans or Jews, they own America. yes they do! stop lumping Asians together. u wanna talk abt chinese, they were here way before us and they are not doing better. the indians, they are not doing better than us in America if you take their population into account. yes i know: they have vikram pandit and bobby jindal.  the pakistanis? please don't even go there. the bangladeshis? are u kidding me? the cambodians? the vietnamese?
what latinos do you have in mind? the mexicans? how are they doing better than us? they have a huge poulation, NAFTA and a widely-spoken language in America. still, they are punching way below their weight, economically and politically. those Mexicans can be very powerful if they get their acts together. actually, they are quite powerful. . . IN JAIL lipsrsealed i hope the mexican mafia don't see this. cry

i am not saying Nigerians are all that. but we aint doing as badly as some here would like us to believe. we are mediocre all becos of our disunity. as for the confidence and/or arrogance, just let it be ppl. that's not going to change.

Sorry, but Kase is another prime example of Nigerians amassing wealth through shady deals and outright criminality. You don't have to dig too deeply and you'll find the rot.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7441625.html
Re: Nigerians Think They Are Smart But Really: by AjanleKoko: 10:46am On Jun 07, 2011
deli.cious:

Of course Nigerians are smart. They just need to channel their energy into more positive endeavors.
And to the OP saying jews, chinese, indians are smarter- sorry if you've got inferiority complex. Seems like you are looking down on yourself. No one has a monopoly on intelligence.

I agree. Nigerians have the capability to do all those guys are doing, and can do better even.
Personally I don't believe in 'smart'. Most people regardless of race aren't smart naturally. But people can work hard and dedicate themselves to a pursuit.

Inherent inferiority complex is part of our problem. We also haven't progressed much along the continuum of maturity (to borrow from Covey).
Maturity in individuals, groups, and societies evolves from dependence, through independence, till interdependence is achieved.
We have hardly been able to mature as individuals, talk less of groups. Not to say it has been our fault though. The black man has been serially dehumanized over the ages, and it has done a lot of damage to the African psyche.

However, Nigerians have lots of energy that can be positively channeled, given the right opportunities and leadership. The Nigerians that are doing well need to step up, i.e. the likes of Adenuga and Dangote, rather than wantonly celebrating their great wealth. They should seek to empower the people and move us up one step towards independence. Same as the various ex-government militricians that control trillions in stolen loot. They should put the money to work in Naija, to empower Nigerians.
Re: Nigerians Think They Are Smart But Really: by olaolabiy: 11:39am On Jun 07, 2011
We think we are smart BUT we aren't.

We are loud, that's that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Juju Scare At Ebonyi Government House / 6 Charges Filed Against Maina By FG / Obaseki Congratulates Lyon, Bello On Victory At Guber Polls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 169
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.