Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,765 members, 7,817,108 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:02 AM

Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? (36884 Views)

Does The Bible Really Condemn Polygamy Marriage ? / Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says / Did The Bible Really Say That A Woman Must Marry Her Rapist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Dtruthspeaker: 12:58pm On Mar 13, 2022
IJEYdiamond:

Abeg where e dey for bible?

Whish one?
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by IJEYdiamond(f): 1:07pm On Mar 13, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

Whish one?

Where u wrote that moses wife was not into him and the God he was serving!!
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Adeoye11(m): 1:09pm On Mar 13, 2022
For the first time in the history of Nairaland, I saw some good and educative comments.
Let me put mouth by saying wait o, in this economy some people still dey manage get two wives shey Dat means buhari never sapa us well well be that.
Second, try address the need or your need of why do I need to marry second wife if not that all of us nah sex sex sex thing dey worry us, the issue of second wife would have been addressed if you pray very well before entering the marriage, marry your friend, check all that needed to be checked like red flags, body count, cooking skills, relationship with family members, relationship with friends, anger management amongst others and by also having in minds that no perfect marriage anywhere in the universe, spouses are meant and bound to create problem for each other, so owing to these facts and reality if you enter marriage you go enjoy.
Just marry your own problem, manage the problem, face the problem and die bin the problem shikena.
Third, have you people ever ask yourself what happens to kids that comes from two wives marriages?? Especially if one of the folks either the wife or the husband has much property then if you know you will prefer to stay with your one problem.
Overtime have discovered that you cannot even finish the problem from one wive family, not to talk of two-wives family.

I pen out...
Criticism are welcome I wan learn before I enta that thing called marriage
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by ProudlyEdo: 1:13pm On Mar 13, 2022
NO
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by dadabashua1(m): 1:17pm On Mar 13, 2022
Adeoye11:
For the first time in the history of Nairaland, I saw some good and educative comments.
Let me put mouth by saying wait o, in this economy some people still dey manage get two wives shey Dat means buhari never sapa us well well be that.
Second, try address the need or your need of why do I need to marry second wife if not that all of us nah sex sex sex thing dey worry us, the issue of second wife would have been addressed if you pray very well before entering the marriage, marry your friend, check all that needed to be checked like red flags, body count, cooking skills, relationship with family members, relationship with friends, anger management amongst others and by also having in minds that no perfect marriage anywhere in the universe, spouses are meant and bound to create problem for each other, so owing to these facts and reality if you enter marriage you go enjoy.
Just marry your own problem, manage the problem, face the problem and die bin the problem shikena.
Third, have you people ever ask yourself what happens to kids that comes from two wives marriages?? Especially if one of the folks either the wife or the husband has much property then if you know you will prefer to stay with your one problem.
Overtime have discovered that you cannot even finish the problem from one wive family, not to talk of two-wives family.

I pen out...
Criticism are welcome I wan learn before I enta that thing called marriage
the question says is it a sin to marry two wives or is it a sin in the Bible, and the answer is simple NO,he didn't say his advising people to marry more than one wife,don't get it twisted,and secondly everything either good or bad has consequence so we not discussing the consequences that comes with marrying more than one wife,hope you get it now?

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by tamzi: 1:23pm On Mar 13, 2022
Righteousness2:
GOD'S Standard from the beginning remains One man one wife.
GOD'S Standard is HE hates Divorce.

Jacob, Solomon , Religion, Society or whoever are not the standard. The Word of GOD is the Standard .

Read Matthew 19: 4-9 to know GOD'S Standard!

You still haven't answered the question, was it written anywhere in the bible that having more than one wife is sin? Did you read the passage of David killing another man and taking his wife? Did you hear God's response to David, he said and I quote" Even if you needed more wives from the one you already had I would have given you, rather than killing a man for his wife" so what does that tells you? Abraham had more than one concubine after the death of Sarah why didn't God caution him to just have one, that's Gods friend and God didn't say nothing about it, though before his death he sent all those women and their children away so they won't have to contest inheritance with Isaac the true promise. In summary God doesn't care of you marry one wife or ten, as long as you give then equal treatment of love, and that was what Jacob failed to do that made God shut Rachel's womb because Jacob loved her more than her elder sister Leah.

And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them Male and Female .
(Not Male and Females or Vice versa)

And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his Wife(Not Wives): and they twain shall be one flesh?

Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?

He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Anything apart from GOD'S Standard is SIN. It is Fornication, Adultery and Man/ woman Decieving themselves!
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by bareal(m): 1:29pm On Mar 13, 2022
Handsum64:
Christians are just hypocrites

Check most of their preachers and be amazed at the retinue of side chicks they keep with tithes and offerings proceeds

Apostle Johnson Suleiman and Abiodun Fatoyinbo representing

Because they know the truth, and the truth is that polygamy will keep them away from their sexual excapades outside the marriage circle. Hence, they make polygamy look like a sin. Infact, God frowns at sex outside marriage which the society now approves hence His support for polygamy in the old. If you must touch a woman, then you must marry her. This will put a stop to all these sex happenings everywhere. Do not have sex outside marriage.
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by drginger(f): 1:31pm On Mar 13, 2022
No, its no sin. You see the apostle's suggestion was that elders in the church shld be men of one wife. It doesn't make it a biblical law. But the church has made it a doctrine.
Just the same way the apostle stayed unmarried and certain pple have followed in that path, to remain single and not be distracted by marriage, and that is very ok, but it doesn't mean being married will mk u serve God lesser. He felt better as a single serving God
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by bareal(m): 1:34pm On Mar 13, 2022
Myer:

When David murdered Uriah just for his wife Bathsheba, this is what Prophet Nathan said God told him;

2 Samuel 12: 7-8
Then Nathan said to David, “You are the man! Thus says the Lord God of Israel: ‘I anointed you king over Israel, and I delivered you from the hand of Saul.
I gave you your master’s house and your master’s wives into your keeping, and gave you the house of Israel and Judah. And if that had been too little, I also would have given you much more!

First this tells us God is not against polygamy.
Second David is not perfect just like we aren't.
God is not looking for perfect people but people who love and worship him.

Also considering almost all the Fathers of Faith including Jacob were polygamous. In fact the 12 tribes of Israel were products of 4 different women from Jacob.

True, Gods original plan is for 1 man to marry 1 wife.
But God does not consider polygamy a sin.
Provided you're not a Bishop and you can manage your household. 1 Tim 3:2

God also referred to this same David as "a man after his heart".

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Oracle13(m): 1:34pm On Mar 13, 2022
Righteousness2:

Jacob, Solomon , Religion, Society or whoever are not the standard. The Word of GOD is the Standard .

And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them Male and Female .

And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his Wife(Not Wives): and they twain shall be one flesh?

Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?

He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Anything apart from GOD'S Standard is SIN. It is Fornication, Adultery and Man/ woman Decieving themselves!
Your write still didn't answer the question
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Dtruthspeaker: 1:34pm On Mar 13, 2022
IJEYdiamond:

Where u wrote that moses wife was not into him and the God he was serving!!

You did see her return to her people and her land right?

And, this is her leaving Moses and God, AFTER SHE TOO HAS SEEN WHAT WENT ON WITH GOD AND MOSES AND THE PEOPLE OF ISRAEL AND EGYPT AND ALL THAT HAPPENED.

YET, SHE LEFT MOSES! DAMN!
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Abdogood(m): 1:39pm On Mar 13, 2022
Righteousness2:

Wait until you married or suffer silently.
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by bareal(m): 1:39pm On Mar 13, 2022
Simran94:

In the beginning God created Adam, he thought it wasn’t good for him to be lonely. Then God created EVE not EVES.
The Bible also said something about marriage. “And a man shall leave his father’s house, to join his WIFE and they shall become ONE. One MAN one WIFE.
But as always greediness has always being in the eyes of men, that was how SIN came into the picture.

If you want to marry two wives, go ahead but please let your fiancé know about your plans so she can decide for herself if she still wants to go ahead with marrying you.

In all of these, where exactly did God condemned polygamy, except for Bishops? Sex outside marriage and sleeping with a married woman is what God consider a sin.
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by suratwo62: 1:45pm On Mar 13, 2022
Righteousness2:

Righteousness2 which standard then is GOD referring to in Deuteronomy 21:15-23??

The bible says in Deuteronomy 21:15 15 If a man have two wives, one beloved, and another hated, and they have born him children, both the beloved and the hated; and if the firstborn son be hers that was hated:

So you cannot say that God hates it for a man to marry two wives or more!!!

GOD Approves of a man marrying two wives
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Dtruthspeaker: 1:48pm On Mar 13, 2022
ISelectMySins:

From your tone, I can categorically say that you know almost nothing about the day of judgement, so please keep quiet.

From your post, you I can absolutely say that

1) It is you Lie because you are afraid of Judgement Day but you have never seen any one who is not afraid of it, so you are being afraid of it, for and on my behalf.

So, I say, you can keep your fears to yourself. I am very much fine where I am, thank you.

2)you know not what shall happen on judgement day. But I do.

3) You know nothing about Law and Judgements. But I do.

So, do kindly, Shut down!

ISelectMySins:

The guy who said God did not forbid polygamy is very right and rightly so for God's righteous reasons. It wasn't an oversight on God's part. No polygamist would go to Hell for reasons of his polygamy. And please you have to stop using bad logic to make a point. Just vecause God didn't create more than one man or woman doesn't mean you are not permitted to marry more than one wife.

If you had known Law and Judgment, YOU WOULD HAVE SEEN THAT EVERY JUDGEMENT GOD LAYS ON PEOPLE IS BASED ON HIS LAW, CLEARLY EXPRESSED.

And not on calculations and kalo-kalo!

But, no quarrel, you can do what you like, it is after your own death or life.

I love Life and obeying The Law, gives me Life, so bye-bye!
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by saintneo(m): 1:49pm On Mar 13, 2022
Righteousness2:

Oga please reference 1 Tim 3 as well.

I like your teachings.....

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by suratwo62: 1:50pm On Mar 13, 2022
drginger:
No, its no sin. You see the apostle's suggestion was that elders in the church shld be men of one wife. It doesn't make it a biblical law. But the church has made it a doctrine.
Just the same way the apostle stayed unmarried and certain pple have followed in that path, to remain single and not be distracted by marriage, and that is very ok, but it doesn't mean being married will mk u serve God lesser. He felt better as a single serving God

Thank you @drginger

Mathew 15:9
New Living Translation
Their worship is a farce, for they teach man-made ideas as commands from God.’”

English Standard Version
in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’”

Mark 7:7

New International Version
They worship me in vain; their teachings are merely human rules.’

New Living Translation
Their worship is a farce, for they teach man-made ideas as commands from God.’

English Standard Version
in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Karleb(m): 1:57pm On Mar 13, 2022
Even Jesus sad nothing about it but you see that guy wey them call Paul abi na Peter. The guy n parrot.

Infact, he advised that men should only get married due to sexual urge and he didn't marry because he was able to contain his sexual urge.

As far as I'm concerned, God never explicitly condemned polygamy in the Bible.
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Dtruthspeaker: 1:58pm On Mar 13, 2022
Juell:

What's wrong with eating pigeon? I'm sure u've heard about quails which are much smaller than pigeons, if people eat quails then ain't nothing wrong with eating pigeon

Read the comments there.

Now, you see that Judgement Resides in and with the People, even before The True Judge Comes.
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Dtruthspeaker: 2:05pm On Mar 13, 2022
Emychina:
Who are u to call people bastard and idiots,son.learn some manners before u misyarn.control that gutter u call mouth.

See vex! Art thou a baastaard?

Anyway, "Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh" and my soul was filled, to curse him.

Kill me all you want, I have already cursed him.

AND HE SHALL SO BE CURSED!
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Acehart: 2:11pm On Mar 13, 2022
Juell:

Yes it is

This is what I believe is the interpretation of the allegory: If God were a man, He’d marry only one wife. He’ll love her with everything He has got. He would not fill the hole she creates with another woman’s love. His love is enough for two.
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Acehart: 2:11pm On Mar 13, 2022
Oscillator:
so many are weak but appear strong.

So many are in need of help bit pretend to five help.

May God have mercy on your stupidity!

Amen
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Emychina(m): 2:13pm On Mar 13, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

See vex! Art thou a baastaard?

Anyway, "Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh" and my soul was filled, to curse him.

Kill me all you want, I have already cursed him.

AND HE SHALL SO BE CURSED!

Chai u too get wahala. But remember that whom d almighty God didnt curse will never be cursed by anyone.u get siko siko
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Dtruthspeaker: 2:13pm On Mar 13, 2022
PoliteActivist:

If I may ask, only Men went to war and did all sorts of dangerous jobs, so they die off, plus women taken as war loot. Who'd marry all these surplus women or are they meant to be celibate and childless for life?

Also, if the few men left married only one wife each, will they have enough children to replenish the population?

Simple: you do not know how VERY GREAT, The Curse, God Cursed evil women.

"I will GREATLY, MULTIPLY, Thy Sorrows" God Said.

That is what you see being done.

And men think to nullify God's Curse and that they shall not themselves be Cursed.

Thank God one man here laid his experience.
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Dtruthspeaker: 2:16pm On Mar 13, 2022
Emychina:
Chai u too get wahala. But remember that whom d almighty God didnt curse will never be cursed by anyone.u get siko siko

Yes He Did.

But, then there is The Law: "The Curse, causeless, Shall Not Come!'

Meaning, The Curse caused, shall surely arrive!
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Acehart: 2:18pm On Mar 13, 2022
LollySeaSide:

If the bolded is true, then why are we claiming the love of the God of Israel?
Since Nigeria is not Israel and God cannot marry a second wife.

When you see the word “illustrate”, it means you are looking at an allegory. This is what I believe is the interpretation of the allegory: If God were a man, He’d marry only one wife. He’ll love her with everything He has got. He would not fill the hole she creates with another woman’s love. His love is enough for two.

Why Israel? Remember Abraham? It’s not Israel but Abraham. The love for Israel was due to the love for Abraham. In the whole wide world, when God needed a soul to believe Him, only one did. Israel only inherited the love God had for Abraham. When the natural seed of Abraham failed, the spiritual seed of Abraham inherited God’s love.

Please take your eyes of the natural seed and behold the spiritual seed. It’s still the same “wife”, Abraham.
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Dtruthspeaker: 2:23pm On Mar 13, 2022
OlawaleBammie:

Which jujment day??

Are u telling me that Abraham, David, Solomon, and the rest are in hellfire as we speak??

Nope!

Let me make it worse!

Only Adam male was Judged!

Adam female, aka Evil una go say Eve was not completely Judged. She only had an "Interim Judgement". No Final Judgement.

Cain, was not Judged.

And as you see, the stupid Israelites guilty in the golden calf sin performance, were not yet Judged.

So everyone is chilling somewhere, waiting for Judgement Day. Except Abraham, going by the Lazarus and rich man affair.
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by PoliteActivist: 2:25pm On Mar 13, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

Simple: you do not know how VERY GREAT, The Curse, God Cursed evil women.

"I will GREATLY, MULTIPLY, Thy Sorrows" God Said.

That is what you see being done.

And men think to nullify God's Curse and that they shall not themselves be Cursed.

Thank God one man here laid his experience.

The bible said clearly they'd be cursed so that they'd be going through great pains in childbirth. So how are they cursed if they never have to go through that childbirth. Also, how are they cursed if it's men that DIE while they stay alive, single with alll the time to enjoy life and groom themselves without having to slave for any man or children?
Also, societal population will not be replenished, negating the multiply command, defeating God's purpose. How is it them that6punished?
Also, if the creation stories are literally true, why are there two if them, contradictory of each other?
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by tonyson010(m): 2:28pm On Mar 13, 2022
helinues:
So people still look up to all this fairy tale books to make personal decision that would affect their lives?

although you don't believe in the Bible or God, don't make others look stupid.....it will land u in bad situation.
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by NairaMaster1(m): 2:29pm On Mar 13, 2022
englishmart:
In the old, people like Solomon, David, Jacob, etc married more than one wife. God is still God and doesn't change. Do you think He now sees something wrong in marring more than one wife?

Pastors are just misinterpreting the Bible. Nobody can stop me.
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Dtruthspeaker: 2:32pm On Mar 13, 2022
PoliteActivist:

The bible said clearly they'd be cursed so that they'd be going through great pains in childbirth.

You read it wrong.

If you break the high points, do you not see that "I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception" is what we say in Law, BOTH JOINTLY AND SEVERALLY?

If severally, now I think you would see how far and wide it travels and can travel, the effect of which, YOU SEE, AS PROVEN BY THEM RUNNING UP AND DOWN, ALWAYS LOOKING FOR SOLUTIONS FOR ONE SHIT OR THE OTHER.

PoliteActivist:

Also, if the creation stories are literally true, why are there two if them, contradictory of each other?

Contradiction? Please lay what you think is a contradiction.
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by otipoju(m): 2:44pm On Mar 13, 2022
Dukeolumidemans:

Ur correct. Until I became alert spiritually, I never knew this. Any woman who tells u she is divorced or is no longer with her husband is still spiritually bond to him. If any man sleeps with them, u will be dragged years back in ur progress. It's like going to Lagos in a bus and ur asked to come down and trek to Lagos with ur legs. That's how slow ur progress will be after sleeping with a married woman.

Secondly those who sleep with different girls. They don't know that each person has a spirit that follows or works with them. Some girls are possessed like their male counterparts. The more girls u sleep with, the more spiritually bond u will become. Those spirits will either help or ruin u. The more u meet/sleep with girls, the more ur entangling with so many negative spirits that bond u and thereby impeding ur progress.

It's always better to stay with one girlfriend or a woman who is ur wife. When I discovered this about women, I ran away and stayed away.

I come in peace!!!

Pure truth but its not easy ehen you have been exposed early to some certain things. Not all women in marriage are "wives". Any man who finds a wife has obtained favour from the Lord.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Prophet Anointed Andrew (SEER 1) Pulled Crowd In Zambian Crusade (Photos) / Mast Falls On Chapel In Akwa Ibom During Sunday Service (Photos) / Dunamis: Miracle Claim Causes Controversy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.