Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,761 members, 7,817,102 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:38 AM

Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? (36883 Views)

Does The Bible Really Condemn Polygamy Marriage ? / Giving Your Tithe To The Church Or To The Needy: What The Bible Really Says / Did The Bible Really Say That A Woman Must Marry Her Rapist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by MaxInDHouse(m): 10:34am On Mar 14, 2022
malvisguy212:
hello, it's been awhile.

malvisguy212:
from Genesis, when God created man and woman, automatically , marraige was design, one man and his wife. God never told Abraham, isaac , Jacob ,David etc to marry more than one wife. and God will not override your will. and all this names above, there marriage is full with up and down.

This is excellent, please next time try to add Bible verses to back it up, in that way you will make it clear to everyone that the idea is from God not you.

It's been a long time!
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Dtruthspeaker: 11:35am On Mar 14, 2022
AntiChristian:
I think you are the stupid one here since you can't provide one verse where Polygamy was forbidding when many men of God practiced it in your Bible

I Provided The Law!
And if The Law was not sufficient, A further explanation was given.

Genesis 2:24: “Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto[b] his wife[/b]:

Not wives!

Mark 10:7
7For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;

8And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.

AntiChristian post=111019796
I have given you your master's house and your master's wives into your bosom … and I gave you the house of Israel and Judah, and as if this wasn't enough, I would have given you even more[/color:

."[/b]

The Correct and True Interpretation, there is,

"That I have exalted you high, even higher than your former master and his household and all Isreal Judah, SUCH THAT YOU COULD DO NO WRONG THING! (BECAUSE OF COURSE, YOU KNOW NOT TO DO ANY WRONG THING)

THEREFORE, WHY? WHY WOULD YOU DO EVIL, KNOWING I HATE EVIL? EVEN UP TO MURDERING A HUSBAND BECAUSE OF HIS WIFE?, ONTOP ALL THE OTHER THINGS YOU HAVE DONE, BUT I STAYED SILENT?"

That is the accurate Interpretation of that passage.

God did not give him wives! He gave him a Nation to Rule, to implement God's Laws on them.

But, here we see the King, being as a criminal, breaking The Same Law he promised to implement.

That is what happened.
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by udatso: 11:40am On Mar 14, 2022
NgGodswill:

Sin is disobedience to God's commandments.
If God almighty has instructed one man to one wife, and you choose otherwise for reasons best known to you,then you have committed a sin,and should be ready to face the consequences.
@bold is the proof everyone has been asking for. Where did God command such in the Bible. Not evidence of God created one male and one female
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Dtruthspeaker: 11:55am On Mar 14, 2022
OlawaleBammie:

Let me know wen u re tru deceiving ur mortal self grin grin

What is there to deceive oneself with?

Oh, I understand, you deceive yourself so much that you no longer can tell when you have enter into things which do not require self deceit at all. But, no wahala, The Books have taken thy words and The Spirit hath kept Record.
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Dtruthspeaker: 1:03pm On Mar 14, 2022
PoliteActivist:

Who said husband and child-bearing are the same thing? WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??

If you admit that husband and child-bearing are not the same thing how then can you not see the import and difference in "sorrow AND conception"?

Are they the same thing?

PoliteActivist:

Two items were mentioned in Eve's curse: child-birth
ang husband.

That is what You See. I do not care what You See, I CARE FOR WHAT IS THERE, TO SEE!

And "I will greatly multiply thy Sorrow AND Conception", Is there to See!
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Dtruthspeaker: 1:08pm On Mar 14, 2022
PoliteActivist:

...Tell us which of them is only a plan and how, and which of them was what actually happened, and how you know

The word "Let us", tells you that this is the Plan.

And the word "And The Lord God Formed..." tells you that this is the making process (Execution of the Plan)

Simple!
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by TYCO77: 2:35pm On Mar 14, 2022
helinues:
So people still look up to all this fairy tale books to make personal decision that would affect their lives?
[color=#000099][/color]

Of all men, most miserable.
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by AntiChristian: 3:26pm On Mar 14, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

I Provided The Law!
And if The Law was not sufficient, A further explanation was given.

Genesis 2:24: “Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto[b] his wife[/b]:

Not wives!

It is wife you marry each time you marry! If i marry again, i will still get a wife.

Mark 10:7
7For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;

8And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.

The Correct and True Interpretation, there is,

"That I have exalted you high, even higher than your former master and his household and all Isreal Judah, SUCH THAT YOU COULD DO NO WRONG THING! (BECAUSE OF COURSE, YOU KNOW NOT TO DO ANY WRONG THING)

THEREFORE, WHY? WHY WOULD YOU DO EVIL, KNOWING I HATE EVIL? EVEN UP TO MURDERING A HUSBAND BECAUSE OF HIS WIFE?, ONTOP ALL THE OTHER THINGS YOU HAVE DONE, BUT I STAYED SILENT?"

That is the accurate Interpretation of that passage.

God did not give him wives! He gave him a Nation to Rule, to implement God's Laws on them.

But, here we see the King, being as a criminal, breaking The Same Law he promised to implement.

That is what happened.

God Gave him wives!
In 2 Samuel 12 when the prophet Nathan confronts David over his sin with Bathsheba, we read: "This is what the Lord God of Israel says: 'I anointed you king over Israel, and I delivered you from the hand of Saul. I have given you your master's house and your master's wives into your bosom … and I gave you the house of Israel and Judah, and as if this wasn't enough, I would have given you even more."

Abraham had two wives just as Jacob had more. God never forbid them having them.
No Biblical verse forbids Polygamy.

And i asked you why did God gave laws protecting polygamy instead of forbidding it out rightly?
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Dtruthspeaker: 3:40pm On Mar 14, 2022
AntiChristian:

It is wife you marry each time you marry! If i marry again, i will still get a wife.

True! But when all is done and results are compiled and taken, you no longer have a wife, you have wives, in violation of The Law.

Secondly, you Fall in The Law of "leave his father and his mother"

AntiChristian:

God Gave him wives!..
Abraham..

Repeating what you have said before after a counter, is proof you do not have a counter...

AntiChristian:

[b]And i asked you why did God gave laws protecting polygamy
instead of forbidding it out rightly?

Which is A Lie, whereas, you asked this below

AntiChristian:

You're an expert in giving excuse!

Continue! Why did God made law PROTECTING THE FIRST WIFE'S...?

So, you see, you all have no place to hide.
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:44pm On Mar 14, 2022
AntiChristian:

God Gave him wives!
In 2 Samuel 12 when the prophet Nathan confronts David over his sin with Bathsheba, we read: "This is what the Lord God of Israel says: 'I anointed you king over Israel, and I delivered you from the hand of Saul. I have given you your master's house and your master's wives into your bosom … and I gave you the house of Israel and Judah, and as if this wasn't enough, I would have given you even more."

Abraham had two wives just as Jacob had more. God never forbid them having them.
No Biblical verse forbids Polygamy.

And i asked you why did God gave laws protecting polygamy instead of forbidding it out rightly?

God never gave him wives Sir!
It simply means God has allowed David to get whatever his heart wished for as long as David has not gone against laid down rules. Had it been Jesus has taught us that the standard for Paradise is what God set in the beginning David mustn't go against it otherwise he will be condemned.

Do you know he referred to Jesus as "Lord"?
Well that means he (David) is prepared to live his life in harmony with whatever Jesus decreed! Psalms 110:1 undecided

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by AntiChristian: 4:00pm On Mar 14, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

God never gave him wives Sir!
It simply means God has allowed David to get whatever his heart wished for as long as David has not gone against laid down rules. Had it been Jesus has taught us that the standard for Paradise is what God set in the beginning David mustn't go against it otherwise he will be condemned.
I really don't get how you guys interpret your Bible. Why can't God just forbid polygamy instead of giving David his master's wives or giving laws for protecting polygamy.

See another Polygamy verse here:
And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying,
We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel: only let us be called by thy name, to take away our reproach. " Isaiah 4:1.

Do you know he referred to Jesus as "Lord"?
Well that means he (David) is prepared to live his life in harmony with whatever Jesus decreed! Psalms 110:1 undecided

Was Jesus mentioned in the context?
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:17pm On Mar 14, 2022
AntiChristian:
I really don't get how you guys interpret your Bible. Why can't God just forbid polygamy instead of giving David his master's wives or giving laws for protecting polygamy.

See another Polygamy verse here:
And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying,
We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel: only let us be called by thy name, to take away our reproach. " Isaiah 4:1.

Was Jesus mentioned in the context?

All the Israelites were expecting a Messiah that's coming to teach them how they will live in Paradise {John 4:25} because Moses actually told them that a prophet like him is coming to establish another covenant! Deuteronomy 18:15-18 smiley

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by AntiChristian: 4:22pm On Mar 14, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

All the Israelites were expecting a Messiah that's coming to teach them how they will live in Paradise {John 4:25} because Moses actually told them that a prophet like him is coming to establish another covenant! Deuteronomy 18:15-18 smiley

Was Jesus mentioned in the context? How was Jesus read in to that context?
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:25pm On Mar 14, 2022
AntiChristian:

Was Jesus mentioned in the context? How was Jesus read in to that context?
The Jews already knew that the Mosaic laws was to guide them until the coming of Christ Sir, so they don't see it as the law that will guide them to Paradise.
That's why David himself could speak about Jesus as "Lord" who will sit beside the Almighty God! Psalms 110:1
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by AntiChristian: 4:36pm On Mar 14, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

The Jews already knew that the Mosaic laws was to guide them until the coming of Christ Sir, so they don't see it as the law that will guide them to Paradise.
That's why David himself could speak about Jesus as "Lord" who will sit beside the Almighty God! Psalms 110:1

I asked where Jesus was mentioned in that Psalm verse?

Stop this! So why does Jesus kept quoting the same old testament?

Why was he encouraging people to follow the commandments?
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:44pm On Mar 14, 2022
AntiChristian:

I asked where Jesus was mentioned in that Psalm verse?
Stop this! So why does Jesus kept quoting the same old testament?
Why was he encouraging people to follow the commandments?

Sincerity is all we need here not pigheadedness my friend.

Moses promised that a prophet is coming to establish a new covenant {Deuteronomy 18:15-19} so all Israelites were expecting when this Messiah will come {John 4:25} you can't expect his name to be mentioned where he's not being born yet nah!
What you need to ask yourself is who happens to fulfill the role of the Messiah Moses talked about, and what exactly were the things he taught that differs from what was written in the Mosaic laws?
Any right thinking person should know that there's no reason for another prophet to come and teach them if the Mosaic laws is all what they need to enter Paradise! undecided

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by AntiChristian: 4:49pm On Mar 14, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

Sincerity is all we need here not pigheadedness my friend.

Moses promised that a prophet is coming to establish a new covenant {Deuteronomy 18:15-19} so all Israelites were expecting when this Messiah will come {John 4:25} you can't expect his name to be mentioned where he's not being born yet nah!
What you need to ask yourself is who happens to fulfill the role of the Messiah Moses talked about, and what exactly were the things he taught that differs from what was written in the Mosaic laws?
Any right thinking person should know that there's no reason for another prophet to come and teach them if the Mosaic laws is all what they need to enter Paradise! undecided

Jesus was not a Prophet. He never called himself such. Where was Jesus mentioned in that Psalm verse?
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by MaxInDHouse(m): 4:58pm On Mar 14, 2022
AntiChristian:

Jesus was not a Prophet. He never called himself such. Where was Jesus mentioned in that Psalm verse?
My friend you don't want the truth just stick to your Qu'ran:

Prophet simply means a "messenger of God" so if Jesus keep emphasizing that he was SENT by God that makes him what?

The Messiah simply means the ANOINTED and there were many anointed Kings in Israel yet none of them claims to be the expected ANOINTED because they knew that the one coming as the ANOINTED will serve both as KING and HIGH PRIEST like Melchizedek.

So this is not your Qu'ran where everyone can just come in and start arguing to establish what soothes them.
What Jesus said is:
In the beginning God established marriage to be for a PAIR of humans (male and female) so anything short of that is not tenable under his own kingdom simple as ABC! smiley

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by PoliteActivist: 5:28pm On Mar 14, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

The word "Let us", tells you that this is the Plan.

And the word "And The Lord God Formed..." tells you that this is the making process (Execution of the Plan)

Simple!

Stop pretending to be a slowpoke. He'd already finished creating animals before "let us". In the second story man was created b4 animals. Both are two different stories of HOW the world was created, very likely from two different sources
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by PoliteActivist: 5:48pm On Mar 14, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

If you admit that husband and child-bearing are not the same thing how then can you not see the import and difference in "sorrow AND conception"?

Are they the same thing?

That is what You See. I do not care what You See, I CARE FOR WHAT IS THERE, TO SEE!

And "I will greatly multiply thy Sorrow AND Conception", Is there to See!

This is not worthy of a response, I'm sorry.

Simple: By the very wording of the curse, an unmarried, childless woman largely escapes it
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Dtruthspeaker: 6:58pm On Mar 14, 2022
PoliteActivist:

This is not worthy of a response, I'm sorry.

Simple: By the very wording of the curse, an unmarried, childless woman largely escapes it

Just say, you have no reasonable opposition to state. That you just love seeing ONLY, what you want to see, as is your Right.

The very words are there for all to see and based on the fact that you were able to appreciate that "husband" and "child-bearing" are not the same thing, then you can appreciate (IF YOU WANT TO) the difference between "sorrow AND conception.

But we appreciate that we can show a person a river, but yet he can claim not to see it. And there is nothing we can do about it.
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Dtruthspeaker: 7:11pm On Mar 14, 2022
PoliteActivist:

Stop pretending to be a slowpoke. He'd already finished creating animals before "let us".

Stop Shifting Post! The question is not about"Finishing creating animals" but about

PoliteActivist:

Tell us which of them is only a plan and how, and which of them was what actually happened, and how you know

So, you see, YOU ARE RUNNING AWAY WITH THE POST

As I told you, your thoughts are Twisted! Get your mind right before you come opposing me.

And based on the other argument, I can clearly appreciate that you can not validly argue because you see ONLY WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE, AND THAT MAKES YOU BLIND AND BIASED.

AND A PERSON WHO IS BOTH BLIND AND BIASED IS NEVER EVER REASONABLE AND CAN NEVER EVER GIVE A TRUTH FULL TESTIMONY.
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:33pm On Mar 14, 2022
PoliteActivist:

Stop pretending to be a slowpoke. He'd already finished creating animals before "let us". In the second story man was created b4 animals. Both are two different stories of HOW the world was created, very likely from two different sources

It's good to see how people pick interest in our book (Bible) but when you read a book it's not possible you know it's use if you're not guided.

Though the Bible is like a manual unlike common textbooks used to study for a professional course and surely you will need a teacher to guide you so we can still apply the same idea here.

Remember what any textbook will present in the first chapter is the definition of the subject you're about to study. The same is what God's word did in the first chapter of the Bible.
That chapter defined God as the brain behind everything living today but the second chapter expatiate on how He worked with another spirit person whom He often discuss with before doing anything.

So if we want to conclude on how the creation work goes it was the animals that were created first but each of them had nothing to do until the one who will serve as their controller was created and God was bringing them to Adam for him to call them whatever he wish after all he will be the one living with them.
The last creature is the female human God made as a compliment for man in order for him to have a companion otherwise God can make man reproduce his own kind without sex.
Thanks! smiley

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by thatsleepboy1: 10:18pm On Mar 14, 2022
Cooleasy:

What I have learnt today from reading your write up and how it opened my eyes, hmmmm! Guy, you know how to argue convincingly. Respect!

Thank you sir.

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by PoliteActivist: 10:35pm On Mar 14, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

Stop Shifting Post! The question is not about"Finishing creating animals" but about

So, you see, YOU ARE RUNNING AWAY WITH THE POST

As I told you, your thoughts are Twisted! Get your mind right before you come opposing me.

And based on the other argument, I can clearly appreciate that you can not validly argue because you see ONLY WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE, AND THAT MAKES YOU BLIND AND BIASED.

AND A PERSON WHO IS BOTH BLIND AND BIASED IS NEVER EVER REASONABLE AND CAN NEVER EVER GIVE A TRUTH FULL TESTIMONY.

He doesn't even know what he referred to.
YOU said "let us" proved it was only a plan. I was telling you "let us" occurred only AFTER creation of animals NOT at the beginning.
You know what, this is a waste of my time. Go and carefully read the two creation stories for yourself.
If in all honesty you think they are both saying the same thing, GOOD FOR YOU!
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by PoliteActivist: 10:43pm On Mar 14, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

Just say, you have no reasonable opposition to state. That you just love seeing ONLY, what you want to see, as is your Right.

The very words are there for all to see and based on the fact that you were able to appreciate that "husband" and "child-bearing" are not the same thing, then you can appreciate (IF YOU WANT TO) the difference between "sorrow AND conception.

But we appreciate that we can show a person a river, but yet he can claim not to see it. And there is nothing we can do about it.

"sorrow AND conception"
Do you even know that these are translations of translations. Focusing on individual words that are only approximations of the original texts and you still have no point.
See the curse below, translated from original texts, do you see any "sorrow AND conception"??
But even so how does "sorrow AND conception" negate the statement??

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Dtruthspeaker: 10:44pm On Mar 14, 2022
PoliteActivist:

He doesn't even know what he referred to.
YOU said "let us" proved it was only a plan

Sorry! You threw away your opportunity to counter by Changing Post.
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by PoliteActivist: 10:46pm On Mar 14, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

It's good to see how people pick interest in our book (Bible) but when you read a book it's not possible you know it's use if you're not guided.

Though the Bible is like a manual unlike common textbooks used to study for a professional course and surely you will need a teacher to guide you so we can still apply the same idea here.

Remember what any textbook will present in the first chapter is the definition of the subject you're about to study. The same is what God's word did in the first chapter of the Bible.
That chapter defined God as the brain behind everything living today but the second chapter expatiate on how He worked with another spirit person whom He often discuss with before doing anything.

So if we want to conclude on how the creation work goes it was the animals that were created first but each of them had nothing to do until the one who will serve as their controller was created and God was bringing them to Adam for him to call them whatever he wish after all he will be the one living with them.
The last creature is the female human God made as a compliment for man in order for him to have a companion otherwise God can make man reproduce his own kind without sex.
Thanks! smiley

Here are the texts below. Explain to us point by point what you mean

Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Dtruthspeaker: 10:50pm On Mar 14, 2022
PoliteActivist:

"sorrow AND conception"

Please, another day, another thread we could do this again. I need a little break from bias today.
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by PoliteActivist: 10:57pm On Mar 14, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

Please, another day, another thread we could do this again. I need a little break from bias today.

Nope, I'm never arguing religion again if I can resist the temptation. If someone can deny something so black and white, how then can you argue gray areas.
Take good care.
Re: Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? by Dtruthspeaker: 11:04pm On Mar 14, 2022
PoliteActivist:

Nope, I'm never arguing religion again if I can resist the temptation. If someone can deny something so black and white, how then can you argue gray areas.
Take good care.

There are no grey areas when it comes to God's Word (Law). You are either male or female, a man or a dog, working in NNPC or not working in NNPC.

If you stop being biased and learn to be balanced, your ability to argue better will increase.

Bias, blinds the biased.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (17) (Reply)

I Want To Leave My Father's Deeper Life Church. Is It Right? - Pastor's Daughter / Prophet Anointed Andrew (SEER 1) Pulled Crowd In Zambian Crusade (Photos) / Mast Falls On Chapel In Akwa Ibom During Sunday Service (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.