Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:22 PM

House Of Reps Resumes Its Madness On This 1st Day - Elections of Officers - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / House Of Reps Resumes Its Madness On This 1st Day - Elections of Officers (8989 Views)

Customs In Massive De-Ranking Of Officers Over Self Promotion / Withdrawal Of Officers From Vips: Police Deploy Men To Airports, Highways To... / Gridlock: The Madness On Abuja - Lokoja Highway (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: House Of Reps Resumes Its Madness On This 1st Day - Elections of Officers by youngmonie: 5:24pm On Jun 06, 2011
isquar3d3:

Emeka Ihedioha frm d south east elected deputy speaker. SW is finished!
Finished is an understatemnt
Re: House Of Reps Resumes Its Madness On This 1st Day - Elections of Officers by johnie: 5:26pm On Jun 06, 2011
The profile of the two principal officers from the Punch report. (There's no guessing how the other positions will go. Status Quo remains and for a reason!):

johnie:

Aminu Tambuwal
Tambuwal is the Deputy Chief Whip of the House. A lawyer by training, he represents Kebbe/Tambwal federal constituency of Sokoto State . He was an All Nigeria Peoples Party lawmaker until a few months to the April 2007 election, when he defected to the PDP. Tambuwal took over from Dr Ahmed Salik as the ANPP leader in the House in 2005 - a change the party never recognised. He dumped the ANPP for the PDP at the behest of former Governor Bafarawa of Sokoto decamping to DPP. He returned to the ANPP when DPP denied all the Sokoto lawmakers ticket during the primaries that preceded the April election. Eventually, the ANPP gave him a ticket for election, only for him to defect to the PDP when Alhaji Aliyu Wamakko, the then ANPP governorship candidate, was lured out of the party with a PDP governorship ticket. He was a well-known lawmaker and a reliable opposition voice in the chamber until he changed political camps.

Tambuwal came to the House in 2003. He is a progressive and sophisticated schemer.  He was part of those who fought against the then ANPP leader, Ahmed Salik, during the early days of the Masari era. He is a well-informed lawyer and knows how to stay away from controversy. In the thick of Ettehgate, he withdrew from public glare and preferred to scheme from the shadows. That may have accounted for his surviving as the Deputy Chief Whip.

Emeka Ihedioha
Ihedioha is the new Chief Whip of the House.  He belongs to the progressive camp, and a supporter of former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar. It has been a marvel how he was able to secure a return ticket from the PDP, despite his avowed support for Abubakar and opposition to the third term plot. He replaces Sam Amadi, who fell casualty to the N628m house renovation scandal.

Femi Gbajabiamila
Gbajabiamila is an Action Congress member from Lagos State and the Minority Whip of the House. He came to the House in 2003, and he is one of the brains behind the Integrity Group and the subsequent removal of Etteh. He fought the former Speaker at every turn, and used his position to work with other minority groups in the House to sway most of the members to dump Etteh. He is experienced in legislative matters, and is a core progressive.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2007111713175271

Re: House Of Reps Resumes Its Madness On This 1st Day - Elections of Officers by Chyz2: 5:28pm On Jun 06, 2011
HIROSHI:

Wonderful! The South thought they have something by winning the presidency. But look at this: VP - North; Senate Presidency - North; Speaker - North; Chief Justice - North; President of Court of Appeal - North; Chief Judge of Fed High Court - North.

The end product: the North retains power from the back and controls Jonathan and could get him impeached at the narrowest of chances.

I do hope Nigeria remains at the end of the whole drama.

PDP National Chairman- North
Re: House Of Reps Resumes Its Madness On This 1st Day - Elections of Officers by isquar3d3(m): 5:30pm On Jun 06, 2011
muami:

These are the kind of comments that makes me beleive that there is hope for Nigeria. i.e people analysing political issues devoid of North vs South. Its really a fresher from all the myopic analysis on this thread simply based on North vs South. Its high time, we the followers grow up if we want the leaders to do the same!
are u saying facts shld b ignored simply because we want 2 grow up or doesn't dis North/South rivalry exist in PDP? We all don't want it bt it is there nd u cnt run away frm it. Soon, we'll get 2 the promised land. I want dat too.
Re: House Of Reps Resumes Its Madness On This 1st Day - Elections of Officers by johnie: 5:31pm On Jun 06, 2011
isquar3d3:

thats wat politics is all about bro. Personal interest. Bt Bankole is jst deceiving himself. Are u telling me dat if he had been re-elected, he wld nt hv registered his interest in d speakership again? He was jst playing 2 d gallery.

Bankole is a goner. Looks like he has been used and dumped (unless he starts singing, and fast too).

My focus is actually on Tambuwal. There is a reason for the overwhemling support - to protect their interest.
Re: House Of Reps Resumes Its Madness On This 1st Day - Elections of Officers by muami(m): 5:32pm On Jun 06, 2011
isquar3d3:

Emeka Ihedioha frm d south east elected deputy speaker. SW is finished!

Simply means that Nigeria is getting matured politically. PDP is the ruling party and the offices are going to places where the PDP performed! That is how politics should be played.
Also, I dont know what you mean by "SW is finished!" The SW deliberately voted for an opposition party because they were comfortable with it and the last time I checked being in an opposition party is part of democracy!
Re: House Of Reps Resumes Its Madness On This 1st Day - Elections of Officers by isquar3d3(m): 5:32pm On Jun 06, 2011
D south east shld nt complain again. They'v got 3 top positions in government now. The SSG, deputy senate president and deputy speaker. Same wit d north west wit d V.P and d speakership.
Re: House Of Reps Resumes Its Madness On This 1st Day - Elections of Officers by dayokanu(m): 5:36pm On Jun 06, 2011
I am so delighted with the happeneing in the Legislative arms of govt.

That means the PDP is finally dead in the SW

Thank You Asiwaju Bola Tinubu

We are grateful for kicking out PDP, OBJ and his cronies from the SW
Re: House Of Reps Resumes Its Madness On This 1st Day - Elections of Officers by isquar3d3(m): 5:38pm On Jun 06, 2011
muami:

Simply means that Nigeria is getting matured politically. PDP is the ruling party and the offices are going to places where the PDP performed! That is how politics should be played.
Also, I dont know what you mean by "SW is finished!" The SW deliberately voted for an opposition party because they were comfortable with it and the last time I checked being in an opposition party is part of democracy!
wen i say SW, i'm nt talking about dem as a region bt as it concerns their place in d PDP as far as positions in government is concerned. Wil they get d chairmanship of PDP? I sincerely doubt dat.
Re: House Of Reps Resumes Its Madness On This 1st Day - Elections of Officers by houvest: 5:40pm On Jun 06, 2011
Isquar3d3 wrote:

how can d speakership b d rightful position of d south east. SE already has d SSG and d deputy senate president. Make odas chop small abeg.
#

My guy you miss my point. It would have been easier to for SW to have the SGF since it is not an elective position than the speaker since the SW PDP had a poor showing in the legislature. The SE with many PDP legislators in the house would have found it easier. But no biggie. The SE has accepted the SGF and moved on so OBJ loses big time and the SW PDP unrepresented for now. New horse trading has to be made to accomodate SW PDP which would have been unnecessary if OBJ had allowed the SE take speakership and the SW SGF unless they will now make the North to concede the chairmanship to the SW but it is unlikely since the Chaiman of the BOT is from the SW. MY OPINION.
Re: House Of Reps Resumes Its Madness On This 1st Day - Elections of Officers by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jun 06, 2011
muami:

These are the kind of comments that makes me beleive that there is hope for Nigeria. i.e people analysing political issues devoid of North vs South. Its really a fresher from all the myopic analysis on this thread simply based on North vs South. Its high time, we the followers grow up if we want the leaders to do the same!
you want idiots to grow up, siddon wait. na d same arguements you go see for 2015
Re: House Of Reps Resumes Its Madness On This 1st Day - Elections of Officers by Chyz2: 5:42pm On Jun 06, 2011
isquar3d3:

D south east shld nt complain again. They'v got 3 top positions in government now. The SSG, deputy senate president and deputy speaker. Same wit d north west wit d V.P and d speakership.

Since when did second fiddle become 3 top positions? Can't you see? Because of the discrimination against Igbos, now we southerners will feel it. Nothing of high value/favoring the south over the north will be signed on our behalf.
Re: House Of Reps Resumes Its Madness On This 1st Day - Elections of Officers by Briz(m): 5:44pm On Jun 06, 2011
Bank-Ole wears white caps, Tambu wears black hat like uncle jona
Re: House Of Reps Resumes Its Madness On This 1st Day - Elections of Officers by dayokanu(m): 5:47pm On Jun 06, 2011
muami:

If Zoning is dead, Why didnt GEJ chose a Southerner as VP? Or are you saying that based on merit, Sambo is the best man for VP position in the whole Nigeria?
Re: House Of Reps Resumes Its Madness On This 1st Day - Elections of Officers by DEEHASAL(m): 6:03pm On Jun 06, 2011
dayokanu:

I am so delighted with the happeneing in the Legislative arms of govt.

That means the PDP is finally dead in the SW

Thank You Asiwaju Bola Tinubu

We are grateful for kicking out PDP, OBJ and his cronies from the SW

The new power permutation will be intriguing!!!!
I am anxious to see what SW will get in Ministerial appointments.
Re: House Of Reps Resumes Its Madness On This 1st Day - Elections of Officers by Remii(m): 6:09pm On Jun 06, 2011
dayokanu:

If Zoning is dead, Why didnt GEJ chose a Southerner as VP? Or are you saying that based on merit, Sambo is the best man for VP position in the whole Nigeria?

Don't mind the double speaking hippocrates. Even OBJ made it clear while closing GEJ campaign rally, that Zoning was alive and on, but GEJ's choice was for Unity of the Nation, as it was morally right and necessary to allow South South presidency at this time.
Re: House Of Reps Resumes Its Madness On This 1st Day - Elections of Officers by dayokanu(m): 6:13pm On Jun 06, 2011
Well the Northerners have used the "Zoning is dead" slogan against us.

Lets see how any SOutherner would get a post.

Thank God the SW removed themselves from this madness and held tight to the ACN

Thank you Tinubu
Re: House Of Reps Resumes Its Madness On This 1st Day - Elections of Officers by isquar3d3(m): 6:22pm On Jun 06, 2011
We jst hope all these turns out well.
Re: House Of Reps Resumes Its Madness On This 1st Day - Elections of Officers by isquar3d3(m): 6:25pm On Jun 06, 2011
The SS seems content wit jst its presidential slot. I hope dats enough 4 dem.
Re: House Of Reps Resumes Its Madness On This 1st Day - Elections of Officers by jmaine: 6:26pm On Jun 06, 2011
dayokanu:

Thank you Tinubu

Tambuwal won, not because of the Northern factor but because he appealed to the majority of his colleagues which consisted of North, South, East and West extraction . .and his major backers are from his PDP members who for once are standing up for themselves for what they feel is right despite threats from their party . . .Stop overplaying the North presidential grouse over zoning . . . Cos it's has been proven that no region can win any election  on it's own in Modern Day Nigeria
Re: House Of Reps Resumes Its Madness On This 1st Day - Elections of Officers by jason123: 6:33pm On Jun 06, 2011
This is just so funny! grin cheesy
Zoning is dead yet GEJ chose a Northern as his VP? Zoning is alive yet the Senate president and PDP's national chairman are from the North?

WOOW! 2015 will be a very very interesting year. 2015 will ask Nigerians the question they have all been scared to hear. That year will shake Nigeria to her very foundation!
With Sambo waiting to over take GEJ (zoning is alive shocked), yet Fashola may want to contest as the next president(zoning is dead and we want merit shocked) and Ndigbo will want a shot at it (zoning is alive but was paused for 4 yrs shocked) grin cheesy.

Funny country!
Re: House Of Reps Resumes Its Madness On This 1st Day - Elections of Officers by isquar3d3(m): 6:34pm On Jun 06, 2011
jmaine:

Stop overplaying the North presidential grouse over zoning . . . Cos it's has been proven that no region can win any election  on it's own in Modern Day Nigeria
right bt i hope u r nt underplaying d opposition's influence in his electn. Mulikat got 90 votes. Imagine wat wld hav happened had d over 70 ACN members voted 4 her instead of Tambuwal like they did. She undoubtedly wld hv gotten simple majority(180+1). Bt u'r right. No region can stand on its own.
Re: House Of Reps Resumes Its Madness On This 1st Day - Elections of Officers by jason123: 6:34pm On Jun 06, 2011
Congrats to the new SPEAKER!!! smiley
Re: House Of Reps Resumes Its Madness On This 1st Day - Elections of Officers by jmaine: 6:43pm On Jun 06, 2011
isquar3d3:

right bt i hope u r nt underplaying d opposition's influence in his electn. Mulikat got 90 votes. Imagine wat wld hav happened had d over 70 ACN members voted 4 her instead of Tambuwal like they did. She undoubtedly wld hv gotten simple majority(180+1). Bt u'r right. No region can stand on its own.

Not at all bruv . . . The quote below strengthens the influence of the opposition to his victory . . .

jmaine:

Tambuwal won, not because of the Northern factor but because he appealed to the majority of his colleagues which consisted of North, South, East and West extraction . .and his major backers are from his PDP members [/b]who for once are standing up for themselves for what they feel is right despite threats from their party . . .S

Just a brief summary of the quote above
North = [b]CPC
, PDP
West = ACN majorly
East =  PDP majorly
South = PDP majorly

Re: House Of Reps Resumes Its Madness On This 1st Day - Elections of Officers by BetaThings: 7:10pm On Jun 06, 2011
jason123:

This is just so funny! grin cheesy
Zoning is dead yet GEJ chose a Northern as his VP? Zoning is alive yet the Senate president and PDP's national chairman are from the North?

WOOW! 2015 will be a very very interesting year. 2015 will ask Nigerians the question they have all been scared to hear. That year will shake Nigeria to her very foundation!
With Sambo waiting to over take GEJ (zoning is alive shocked), yet Fashola may want to contest as the next president(zoning is dead and we want merit shocked) and Ndigbo will want a shot at it (zoning is alive but was paused for 4 yrs shocked) grin cheesy.

Funny country!
Quite right!
Z-o-n-i-n-g!
Dead on one hand; alive on the other.
Assassinated when necessary; resurrected when desired!
Re: House Of Reps Resumes Its Madness On This 1st Day - Elections of Officers by ektbear: 7:29pm On Jun 06, 2011
^ It is a zombie
Re: House Of Reps Resumes Its Madness On This 1st Day - Elections of Officers by houvest: 7:34pm On Jun 06, 2011
dayokanu:

Thank you Tinubu

Sad you are missing the bigger picture. Nigeria sits on a tripod firstly and on a sextupod secondarily. Whenever that balance is tampered with, it normally has ramifications in the long run. Leave Tinubu out of this.
Re: House Of Reps Resumes Its Madness On This 1st Day - Elections of Officers by dayokanu(m): 7:45pm On Jun 06, 2011
Whats the bigger picture?
Re: House Of Reps Resumes Its Madness On This 1st Day - Elections of Officers by houvest: 7:57pm On Jun 06, 2011
dayokanu:

Whats the bigger picture?

Nigeria sits on a tripod firstly and on a sextupod secondarily. Whenever that balance is tampered with, it normally has ramifications in the long run
Re: House Of Reps Resumes Its Madness On This 1st Day - Elections of Officers by dayokanu(m): 8:03pm On Jun 06, 2011
Meaning what?

How does this affect the SW who chose to be left out og the PDP madness? We have tasted it and we spat them out

Let other regions enjoy PDP
Re: House Of Reps Resumes Its Madness On This 1st Day - Elections of Officers by Chyz2: 8:34pm On Jun 06, 2011
isquar3d3:

The SS seems content wit jst its presidential slot. I hope dats enough 4 dem.

Well The Igbos have the House of Reps Leadership as well, but he is from SS. I believe it is Tony Elumelu. That counts as a SS slot, i guess. Not that its that important anyways.
Re: House Of Reps Resumes Its Madness On This 1st Day - Elections of Officers by isquar3d3(m): 8:48pm On Jun 06, 2011
Anyway, OBJ can conviniently say he's retired frm active politics so he is nt concerned. Any way we look at it, d SW has lost out in d power equation in d PDP.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Governor Umar Ganduje Approves N1.036BN For Repairs OF 31 Roads In State Capital / Ugwuanyi Lays Foundation Of Auxiliary Complex For Enugu Assembly / Court Orders Arrest Of Maina & Trial In Absentia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.