Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,432 members, 7,819,557 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:09 PM

Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. (35234 Views)

Well, She Called Off Our Wedding. / Our Wedding Pictures (White And Traditional) / 15-Year-Old Chinwe Married To Older Man Has Been Returned To Her Parents (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by Raalsalghul: 1:07pm On Nov 14, 2021
Mercychen:

Why?

You think all men that married, married a wife? Sorry!

Most men didn't find a wife but a LovePeddler in disguise. That is why some will come into your life and everything will nose dive.

Forget. No time for lectures now.

Well, Wife is still the title regardless if she was a wayward lovepeddler, a decent virgin or a combination of both?

My point is that verse of the bible is one I don't agree with, perhaps we should have an adjective or a pronoun before that word Wife seeing as a lot of people swallow it verbatim. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by Biglittlelois(f): 1:11pm On Nov 14, 2021
Urbanchampion:
Normal thing, especially if na middleclass Yoruba family you married from. we no dey ever allow make God shame us, if your wedding wasn't "talk of the town", it was your In-laws they would insult, not your parents...my elder sister's friend did same for her daughter.

Abi Na, God no go shame us grin

4 Likes

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by Nobody: 1:14pm On Nov 14, 2021
Raalsalghul:

Well, Wife is still the title regardless if she was a wayward lovepeddler, a decent virgin or a combination of both?

My point is that verse of the bible is one I don't agree with, perhaps we should have an adjective or a pronoun before that word Wife seeing as a lot of people swallow it verbatim. cheesy

You want to add to the word of God?
I no dey o.

1 Like

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by Biglittlelois(f): 1:14pm On Nov 14, 2021
Tonero5200:

Yes I married from the west.
Thanks

Yeah I knew it must be Yoruba, we always like to show off in parties and wedding cheesy

Dude you got good in laws and wife tbh, what they did shows that they and your wife will always cover up for you when the time comes.

Have a happy married life.

12 Likes

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by NarcissistKing(m): 1:16pm On Nov 14, 2021
If you are financially buoyant, make sure you do something substantial also irrespective of the intentions behind their generosity.
Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by Raalsalghul: 1:16pm On Nov 14, 2021
Mercychen:

You want to add to the word of God?
I no dey o.

Just saying! grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by Biglittlelois(f): 1:19pm On Nov 14, 2021
Tonero5200:

The money her dad spent was really much .
I can't even make a correct calculations.

That's what's getting me worried, so that it won't lead to another thing.

You're over thinking things honestly, most Yoruba weddings are done by the bride's family and is not seen as a big deal, so stop stressing yourself over nothing.

18 Likes

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by NarcissistKing(m): 1:20pm On Nov 14, 2021
CryptoClub2018:

It's because of people like you that makes rich people don't want their children to marry someone from a low standard life. Low self esteem and pride at the same time. It's not the wedding that will determine if they will respect you or not. For them to have allowed you marry there daughter,it shows they value you and respect you already. There are other things that you will do that will make them disrespect you and definitely not this

At the bolded, you don't know that. I support marriages like that but it's not ideal if the husband is not contributing something substantial because most rich families will disrespect you with anything!

You need to look past their generosity towards you and your family.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by eddynaira125: 1:20pm On Nov 14, 2021
Bros u be evil person, instead of you thanking God for help, u are here embarrassing God for the love he show to you

11 Likes

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by Martini101(m): 1:24pm On Nov 14, 2021
My only worry is the eight bags of rice.

3 Likes

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by Biglittlelois(f): 1:25pm On Nov 14, 2021
NoToPile:
No need to be worried, it's because you are not Yoruba that's why you are worried.

Since they are Yoruba, culturally the bride's family is suppose to host the wedding I mean take care of all hosting expenses i.e feeding drinks etc, it's the way things are economically , income level of the family, evolution of culture etc that has changed the narrative.

Yoruba families that are well to do still do such nowadays.

You brought the traditional requirements and cooked and did all that you were supposed to do and that is enough.

If they decide to cook 20bqgs of rice and trailer load of drinks it doesn't mean you should get worried it's their daughter they are giving away.

The one Yoruba families will never stop talking about is if you brought tiny looking yams to marry iyawo grin 20 years down the line we go still talk am.

You get am very very well, they always take it personal with the yams if it is not complete or tiny, I wonder why, and all other things can be excused o, you can imagine cheesy

Are you Yoruba?

6 Likes

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by mastermaestro(m): 1:27pm On Nov 14, 2021
Tonero5200:

Okay thanks very much.

Quit worrying. Those from the West say it's a cultural thing. Well I don't know about that because I am not from that part. I would tell you not to worry.

When all my four sisters go married at various times, my dad spent money on their wedding ceremonies as though it was his own wedding. cheesy Cow, drinks, reception and other stuffs, besides what my in-laws did. That's who my dad has always been. Once he sees you as family, he offers his full support wholeheartedly expecting nothing in return.

Years have gone by, my in-laws have no regrets over the 'unsolicited' assistance they got during their weddings to my sisters.

Good in-laws make life easy for you. Just enjoy your life, and please do not betray the love they've shown you. smiley

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by babyfaceafrica: 1:27pm On Nov 14, 2021
I would have preferred they set you with the money spent on the wedding. Wedding is just a day, why spending heavily when they know you aren't buoyant?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by Urbanchampion: 1:29pm On Nov 14, 2021
Biglittlelois:

Abi Na, God no go shame us grin

My brother , imagine with the OP's 2 bags of rice and one cow, reception would be midway, and there won't be rice to serve guests.

4 Likes

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by Biglittlelois(f): 1:30pm On Nov 14, 2021
NoToPile:

Use what against you? That they killed cows and cooked bags of rice for their own daughter wedding?

You paid bride price and brought list didn't you? The the only thing that I know can be used against you is if you didnt marry the girl properly .

All these thoughts doesn't apply here oo. It's not a big deal.

What part of Nigeria are you from?

Wedding that different people from the bride's family can cook/bring different caterers ,not even the bride's father sef.

Oga go enjoy your marriage jare.

Thank you, Op is not a serious person cos I wonder what the fuss is about?

1 Like

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by irijuola: 1:34pm On Nov 14, 2021
NoToPile:
No need to be worried, it's because you are not Yoruba that's why you are worried.

Since they are Yoruba, culturally the bride's family is suppose to host the wedding I mean take care of all hosting expenses i.e feeding drinks etc, it's the way things are economically , income level of the family, evolution of culture etc that has changed the narrative.

Yoruba families that are well to do still do such nowadays.

You brought the traditional requirements and cooked and did all that you were supposed to do and that is enough.

If they decide to cook 20bqgs of rice and trailer load of drinks it doesn't mean you should get worried it's their daughter they are giving away.

The one Yoruba families will never stop talking about is if you brought tiny looking yams to marry iyawo grin 20 years down the line we go still talk am.

That's why it's called 'igbeyawo'. Don't read meaning into it. They are the main host. You people came to their house and church for the wedding ceremony. It's normal. My dad will do the same thing.

12 Likes

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by Biglittlelois(f): 1:35pm On Nov 14, 2021
babyfaceafrica:
I would have preferred they set you with the money spent on the wedding. Wedding is just a day, why spending heavily when they know you aren't buoyant?

It is always other tribes that talk like this

You see that Op already hates the fact that His wife's parents spent flamboyantly for their daughter's wedding, does he seem like someone that will collect one naira from his in laws? Someone that feels emasculated.

Parents that has enough to spend cos they are happy for their daughter, how is that a problem? What has Op's pocket got to do with how her parents spent theirs on their daughter?

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by irijuola: 1:37pm On Nov 14, 2021
NoToPile:

Use what against you? That they killed cows and cooked bags of rice for their own daughter wedding?

You paid bride price and brought list didn't you? The the only thing that I know can be used against you is if you didnt marry the girl properly .

All these thoughts doesn't apply here oo. It's not a big deal.

What part of Nigeria are you from?

Wedding that different people from the bride's family can cook/bring different caterers ,not even the bride's father sef.

Oga go enjoy your marriage jare.

True. The siblings of the bride's parents from the village and abriad will contribute towards the success of the wedding.

3 Likes

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by NoToPile: 1:38pm On Nov 14, 2021
Biglittlelois:

You get am very very well, they always take it personal with the yams if it is not complete or tiny, I wonder why, and all other things can be excused o, you can imagine cheesy

Are you Yoruba?

@ bolded yes.

The yam issue is always very personal, maybe because it's not always wrapped and everybody can see how it looks max
is for them to place them in big basket but eyes can still see it.

Some even overlook the quantity ,one person mentioned that it's better to bring 20 pieces of healthy looking yams than 40 pieces of malnourshed yams.

7 Likes

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by mastermaestro(m): 1:40pm On Nov 14, 2021
babyfaceafrica:

It's not a big deal for rich in-laws. Good in-laws do their best to beautify their children's wedding ceremonies. Money is the paintbrush here. Unless such in-laws have openly belittled him, the spending is neither unusual nor abnormal.

1 Like

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by babyfaceafrica: 1:41pm On Nov 14, 2021
Biglittlelois:

It is always other tribes that talk like this

You see that Op already hates the fact that His wife's parents spent flamboyantly for their daughter's wedding, does he seem like someone that will collect one naira from his in laws? Someone that feels emasculated.

Parents that has enough to spend cos they are happy for their daughter, how is that a problem? What has Op's pocket got to do with how her parents spent theirs on their daughter?
Assumptions. Anyway I hope he has a good job sha, I wouldn't support a lavish wedding when the couple needs money.

1 Like

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by babyfaceafrica: 1:43pm On Nov 14, 2021
mastermaestro:

It's not a big deal for rich in-laws. Good in-laws do their best to beautify their children's wedding ceremonies. Money is the paintbrush here. Unless such in-laws have openly belittled him, the spending is neither unusual nor abnormal.
True, I am more concerned with after wedding than the wedding itself.
Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by flames007(m): 1:47pm On Nov 14, 2021
First off, you should be extremely grateful for the kind of family your wife comes from; they're selfless and supportive. Make sure you let that man know you're saw what he did and you're really grateful to him.

Now to your question: Yes! oh yes you should be worried. Right now there's nothing you can do to add like a bajillion naira to your account, but what you should do is to restrategize and see to it that very soon, you're bouyant enough to not need his help. Cos if you don't he'll keep on babying you until you become the woman of the house.

3 Likes

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by Biglittlelois(f): 1:48pm On Nov 14, 2021
NoToPile:

@ bolded yes.

The yam issue is always very personal, maybe because it's not always wrapped and everybody can see how it looks max
is for them to place them in big basket but eyes can still see it

Some even overlook the quantity ,one person mentioned that it's better to bring 20 pieces of healthy looking yams than 40 pieces of malnourshed yams.

Good to know

Now I see your angle at the bolded, that display of yams at the traditional wedding is a thing of pride for the Ile Iyawo when it is big and plenty, I never saw it this way cheesy some even go as far using ribbons as bow tie on each yam to make them look colourful, I've seen such display in most wedding parties these days, my people and flashy ariya ehn cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by kelvin1191(m): 1:49pm On Nov 14, 2021
I commend your inlaw, not the type that will give you list of millions of naira without contributing a penny. But note;
The day you raise your hands on that girl, quarrel with her or decided to send her parking, sorry go be your name.
Your case is for better for worst!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by RightToReject(m): 1:50pm On Nov 14, 2021
Hypocritically sanctimonious and ethnocentric elements everywhere. So, it's now normal and not a taboo to spend a good amount of money performing a marriage rite/ceremony - regardless of whether it is the groom or the bride's family that made the expenses, provided that they have it. It's now a thing of pride and joy that demands commendation and celebration.

8 Likes

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by Tonero5200: 1:50pm On Nov 14, 2021
flames007:
First off, you should be extremely grateful for the kind of family your wife comes from; they're selfless and supportive. Make sure you let that man know you're saw what he did and you're really grateful to him.

Now to your question: Yes! oh yes you should be worried. Right now there's nothing you can do to add like a bajillion naira to your account, but what you should do is to restrategize and see to it that very soon, you're bouyant enough to not need his help. Cos if you don't he'll keep on babying you until you become the woman of the house.
Thanks, this really helped.

1 Like

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by mastermaestro(m): 1:55pm On Nov 14, 2021
babyfaceafrica:
True, I am more concerned with after wedding than the wedding itself.

Yeah I get your point sir. Well since his in-laws haven't been disrespectful to him, I don't think they will now. So long as he is not dependent on them for his daily upkeep, he is good. He just needs to treat their daughter nicely like every good husband. cheesy The only part he silently mentioned in his one of his replies was that his girl likes quarrel. Let's take that her little baggage which he can manage. cheesy

The long and short is that he didn't beg for the assistance he got. Whatever assistance they rendered was not even to him in the real sense, but for their own pleasure and ego. Abi them carry the 8 bags of rice give am? undecided He met his own budget. Simple. sad

So it is none his business really. He is a man running his own house now. He should enjoy his life, love his wife and be the oga. cool

3 Likes

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by Tonero5200: 1:56pm On Nov 14, 2021
kelvin1191:
I commend your inlaw, not the type that will give you list of millions of naira without contributing a penny. But note;
The day you raise your hands on that girl, quarrel with her or decided to send her parking, sorry go be your name.
Your case is for better for worst!
We don't pray for that.

But this majorly my fears.

On the reception, I was a little bit unbalanced.

Because the picture was clear, that her father did almost everything. (Extra drinks, surplus food and the likes)
Everyone could tell, even my own people that came for me.

2 Likes

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by Truvelisback(m): 1:57pm On Nov 14, 2021
Bro, be very glad and be grateful to God. Na money nai make many men no fit marry and dey fear marriage, especially this hard time of the country.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by babyfaceafrica: 2:06pm On Nov 14, 2021
mastermaestro:

Yeah I get your point sir. Well since his in-laws haven't been disrespectful to him, I don't think they will now. So long as he is not dependent on them for his daily upkeep, he is good. He just needs to treat their daughter nicely like every good husband. cheesy The only part he silently mentioned in his one of his replies was that his girl likes quarrel. Let's take that her little baggage which he can manage. cheesy

The long and short is that he didn't beg for the assistance he got. Whatever assistance they rendered was not even to him in the real sense, but for their own pleasure and ego. Abi them carry the 8 bags of rice give am? undecided He met his own budget. Simple. sad

So it is none his business really. He is a man running his own house now. He should enjoy his life, love his wife and be the oga. cool
Nice points

1 Like

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by NoToPile: 2:06pm On Nov 14, 2021
Biglittlelois:

Good to know

Now I see your angle at the bolded, that display of yams at the traditional wedding is a thing of pride for the Ile Iyawo when it is big and plenty, I never saw it this way cheesy some even go as far using ribbons as bow tie on each yam to make them look colourful, I've seen such display in most wedding parties these days, my people and flashy ariya ehn cheesy

Exactly.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Most Touching Experience I've Had In A While. / 8-year-Old Boy Marries 61-Year-Old Woman In Zimbabwe / Vure Kingsley Ovonix Names His Son After Zuckerberg. Met His Wife On Facebook

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.