Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,251 members, 7,953,939 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 09:24 AM

Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. (35809 Views)

My Husband Travelled To Lagos 3 Weeks After Our Wedding And Never Returned / My Fiancée Called Off Our Wedding With Four Days To Go / Our Wedding Pictures (White And Traditional) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by northbird: 6:45pm On Nov 14, 2021
descarado:
He is right to be worried.
I will be too.

I have seen rich parents help their sons inlaw.

The join heads together in the planning. They were all carried along. My guy was tossed by the side. It's humiliating and a slap on his pride.

We are so poor and money conscious we allow common sense flee cos we saw rich man and money. Everything he does no matter the strategy used is good.

He has a right of say in his own wedding.

The man wasn't being supportive.
Just carrying the traditional lavish wedding his kinds do so as to save face.

If he is really supportive, he should pay the same amount into his son in-laws account to help set him up to his standard.

Well, to each mallam his own kettle.

My friend, go and sit down somewhere.

The Yorubas r very accommodating. That is the standard if the bride is Yoruba.

2 Likes

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by skentelelady(f): 6:46pm On Nov 14, 2021
Tonero5200:

We don't pray for that.

But this majorly my fears.

On the reception, I was a little bit unbalanced.

Because the picture was clear, that her father did almost everything. (Extra drinks, surplus food and the likes)
Everyone could tell, even my own people that came for me.

Stop.worrying for nothing. It is normal in yoruba land. Bride family foots the reception which includes food drinks hall etc. The only thing they need from you side is the bride list. Once you bring those items, that's all.

If that lady is their 1st daughter they will go extra mile to give her away with joy and happiness

It is as if in your tribe the groom side foots all.expenses so you are already feeling insecure that in the future they would use it against you. No they wont.

The bride parents have performed that last role on that girl which is her wedding. They dont have any expenses to do for her again that's why the lavish wedding

If I were you i would go to that daddy and prostrate to show gratitude. Not that you are expecting more in the future but to show how grateful you are

Live happy with your wife and dont put your mind there. The moment you begin to show insecurity you wont know when you start reacting to every issue from the girl side or her family

Just move on

6 Likes

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by pongwa(m): 6:46pm On Nov 14, 2021
Tonero5200:
Hi.

Honestly speaking am really worried, have dated my fiance for sometime now. So we finally decided to tie the knot.
She suggested we do it this year November and I concurred, so we've been saving towards it ever since.

Last 2 months I made my intentions known to her family, that I will like to marry their daughter. Due to the conversations I had With her parents, I told them I wanted it small.. because am not financialy buoyant.

But To my surprise, her dad said I shouldn't worry about it, they are going to support me ( which is most likely Normal)

(They gave me traditional rite's, which I sorted out by myself)

With the traditional right drawing close, last month I learnt from my fiancee..her parents are planning to buy 2 cow for the traditional and white wedding. (I was surprised)

The following week, the hall she choosed for the reception of the white wedding, has already been paid for by her dad which was about 500k excluding the decorations which they also took care of ( even though I opted we could have done the reception in the church)

But my fiancee told me her dad is inviting alot of well-wishers home and abroad to come celebrate with us.both his fellow staffs and all.

* I bought 2 bag of rice and groundnut oils

* We paid for the cakes

* We paid for drinks

* We sorted things out (invitation cards, pre shoot photos)

But was surprised 2 days to the traditional marriage, more expensive drinks were rolling in.

On the d day of the white wedding, I realised, they cooked more than 8 bags of rice ( coconut, jollof, banga and fried) meats were surplused.
Alot of people came from her family's, while my own families were just there.. they did get the message.

Someone even said it to my mom face. THAT THIS GIRL PAPA TRY O.

please, I don't want to sound like am a bad person or I don't know good.
Offcus I appreciate her parents efforts, but am just a little bit worried.

As a man, won't this come to haunt me in the future?
as long as you are the one that supplied the items on the wedding list and dowry, there is nothing to worry about because this is actually your way out of perpetual bondage from her family. They will want to dictate certain ìmportant aspect of your marriage no doubt. Just be smart about it and maintain your manhood if yiu can.

EXCEPT of course they did it out of genuine love for their daughter then there's nothing to worry but keep your distance when it comes to financial matters. Be independent else you go see things
Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by pongwa(m): 6:49pm On Nov 14, 2021
northbird:

My friend, go and sit down somewhere.

The Yorubas r very accommodating. That is the standard if the bride is Yorubas.
Yorubas are evolving wake up
Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by gabicon: 6:49pm On Nov 14, 2021
Tonero5200:
Hi.

Honestly speaking am really worried, have dated my fiance for sometime now. So we finally decided to tie the knot.
She suggested we do it this year November and I concurred, so we've been saving towards it ever since.

Last 2 months I made my intentions known to her family, that I will like to marry their daughter. Due to the conversations I had With her parents, I told them I wanted it small.. because am not financialy buoyant.

But To my surprise, her dad said I shouldn't worry about it, they are going to support me ( which is most likely Normal)

With the traditional right drawing close, last month I learnt from my fiancee..her parents are planning to buy 2 cow for the traditional and white wedding. (I was surprised)

The following week, the hall she choosed for the reception of the white wedding, has already been paid for by her dad which was about 500k excluding the decorations which they also took care of ( even though I opted we could have done the reception in the church)

But my fiancee told me her dad is inviting alot of well-wishers home and abroad to come celebrate with us.both his fellow staffs and all.

* We paid for the cakes

* We paid for drinks

But was surprised 2 days to the traditional marriage, more expensive drinks were rolling in.

On the d day of the white wedding, I realised, they cooked more than 8 bags of rice ( coconut, jollof, banga and fried) meats were surplused.
Alot of people came from her family's, while my own families were just there.. they did get the message.

Your parent in-law didn't throw a lavish party for you or your wife, they did it for themselves, to satisfy their egos. When my sister got married my parents booked all the hotels close to the venue as accomodation for their guests, my dad bought # cows, his brothers bought one cow, there was fish, chicken, turkey etc. My guy enjoy the memory of your wedding and stop reading meaning to simple things.

4 Likes

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by northbird: 6:52pm On Nov 14, 2021
Op. You should be thanking God for having great in laws.
You have been accepted wholeheartedly into the family.You are a son in that family now. You are a very lucky man.

Go home and and be the best husband to your wife. grin. you are a very lucky man.

The Yorubas don't believe in putting burden on young couples. No one is going to ask you for money. You saw that in the bride price tag. Just symbolic.

No one is going to ask for unnecessary stuff all in the name of bride price.

You are a very lucky man.

3 Likes

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by pongwa(m): 6:53pm On Nov 14, 2021
skentelelady:

Stop.worrying for nothing. It is normal in yoruba land. Bride family foots the reception which includes food drinks hall etc. The only thing they need from you side is the bride list. Once you bring those items, that's all.

If that lady is their 1st daughter they will go extra mile to give her away with joy and happiness

It is as if in your tribe the groom side foots all.expenses so you are already feeling insecure that in the future they would use it against you. No they wont.

The bride parents have performed that last role on that girl which is her wedding. They dont have any expenses to do for her again that's why the lavish wedding

If I were you i would go to that daddy and prostrate to show gratitude. Not that you are expecting more in the future but to show how grateful you are

Live happy with your wife and dont put your mind there. The moment you begin to show insecurity you wont know when you start reacting to every issue from the girl side or her family

Just move on
I don't believe this
Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by tonyashburton: 6:53pm On Nov 14, 2021
You're insecure.Grow the Bleep up.

1 Like

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by Swain1679(m): 6:53pm On Nov 14, 2021
bro your own better
Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by TenQ: 6:53pm On Nov 14, 2021
Depressed101:
i dont know how this will turn out, but I hate people dictating how I plan my stuffs especially family matters. I do my stuffs on my own terms wether money dey or not, na man I be, if my in-laws wish to contribute to my wedding as I have told them I want it low and not flamboyant, they can fit their plans in ours by doing the respectable which is seating down discus how they can be of help, I will most likely accept cash gifts so that I and my wife to be will plan our day the way we are supposed to build our lives together, you don't use my day to shine just because you want to help me. Anyway na yoruba way of life, I just hope this does not give them the impetus to be shooking mouth in your family matters when they are not supposed to.

I man deserves his dignity, no man should take it away from him because of help,. I can tell that feeling you are having right now is not a good one, they have reduced an inch of your confidence..

Anyway the did is done, just watch for any unnecessary insult, and don't fail to let anyone who tries that in the name of what they have done for you know that you do not tolerate nonsense
If you are to Marry Dangote or Otedola's daughter, how will you limit the money to be spent on your wedding?

3 Likes

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by Ighosotuprosper(m): 6:55pm On Nov 14, 2021
They are trying to make the event to their class since they are inviting their big friends. I really see no issue there

1 Like

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by friday2011(m): 6:56pm On Nov 14, 2021
My dear...be worried ooo...in this part of the world, nothing goes for nothing.
Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by northbird: 7:01pm On Nov 14, 2021
friday2011:
My dear...be worried ooo...in this part of the world, nothing goes for nothing.

Rubbish. Are you Yoruba?

1 Like

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by OBTOREPA(m): 7:02pm On Nov 14, 2021
Tonero5200:
Hi.

* We paid for the cakes

* We paid for drinks

You should be happy, abeg face your marriage
Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by na2016: 7:08pm On Nov 14, 2021
OP: I have read all sorts on this thread. But take this from me, you need to be worried. She may not respect you later on in the home and the parent may want to cross their boundaries in your home. [b][/b]
Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by Mexyz(m): 7:09pm On Nov 14, 2021
Tribalism is not part of me, I detest it.
But am going to say the truth here, my brother, if you married from the West, then forget it, you're in good Hands.
But if na from my side(South South) and the other side(South East) Hmmmm, you don just use your hand sign your freedom, peace of mind away be that o.
Not every family though, there are exceptions.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by Joe4real1988(m): 7:10pm On Nov 14, 2021
Urbanchampion:
Normal thing, especially if na middleclass Yoruba family you married from. we no dey ever allow make God shame us, if your wedding wasn't "talk of the town", it was your In-laws they would insult, not your parents...my elder sister's friend did same for her daughter.
It seems Yoruba women are cool for marriage o, shouldn't i look that way!
Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by kakaflex(m): 7:12pm On Nov 14, 2021
When I was about getting married, my wife's father said I will give him 250k......See what people are praying for you've gotten it at no cost, you still dey worry
Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by Nekky5(f): 7:12pm On Nov 14, 2021
They did what they did because of their status which I feel is not wrong. You call the shots from now by taking responsibility of your home. Success in all you do would stop any nonsense from anybody including your wife.

1 Like

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by izubext007: 7:16pm On Nov 14, 2021
My guy u don cash out for life just be loyal and lovely.
Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by Nobody: 7:19pm On Nov 14, 2021
Tonero5200:
Hi.

* We paid for the cakes

* We paid for drinks

Divorce her
Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by NoToPile: 7:20pm On Nov 14, 2021
bobowaja:

That marriage will soon crash. The op is a wrong groom.

No matter what you give, in yorubaland, the bride family host the wedding and whatever they spend will be assumed to be partly collected from the groom. Whatever added to it is also the responsibility of the bride family for their daughter. This is why I don't like intertribal marriages. There will always be cultural shocks. And op and his families are not taking it lightly for the help rendered. His families will start to frustrate that innocent girl.

That's my fear oo, maybe he comes from a place where the groom bears all the costs, but he should have had an idea about how it's bride's family that is the host in Yoruba land and despite the fact that people on this thread have told him severally that it's nothing to worry about, he still seems worried. I hope now it has gotten on FP and several people have attested to it his mind might be at rest. Intertribal marriages does have its disadvantages sha

4 Likes

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by Akerele44(m): 7:21pm On Nov 14, 2021
I understand what u 're trying to say.. because Human being will surely be Human being..
Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by Urbanchampion: 7:23pm On Nov 14, 2021
Joe4real1988:
It seems Yoruba women are cool for marriage o, shouldn't i look that way!

Not all Yoruba ooo
Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by Joe4real1988(m): 7:27pm On Nov 14, 2021
Urbanchampion:

Not all Yoruba ooo
Yeah, na to channel the interest there and when u meet the good one, u go know

1 Like

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by bobowaja(m): 7:30pm On Nov 14, 2021
NoToPile:

That's my fear oo, maybe he comes from a place where the groom bears all the costs, but he should have had an idea about how it's bride's family that is the host in Yoruba land and despite the fact that people on this thread have told him severally that it's nothing to worry about, he still seems worried. I hope now it has gotten on FP and several people have attested to it his mind might be at rest. Intertribal marriages does have its disadvantages sha

The op despite reading many posts here trying to convince him that it is Yoruba culture is still adamant (I guess his overpriced ego). When I concluded there will be problem in that marriage is where he acknowledged a post that aligns with his own OT. It shows he is not convinced otherwise and he will pay back. Na that girl he go frustrate.

My friend's family is planning a wedding in coming months. The way they are preparing e, you will think they want to host the president. And the groom is just a young boy who can't foot those bills.

The op people think Yoruba are called owambe people for no reason.

4 Likes

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by manlawal(m): 7:30pm On Nov 14, 2021
Tonero5200:

Yes I married from the west.
Thanks
if you marry from West is normal b cause your brides wife are the one hosting you , If there is any issue it will affect the ladies family more that's why .

1 Like

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by DrDax: 7:32pm On Nov 14, 2021
Iyaebe:
Well, some people don't see any big deal in it but I as a person will stubbornly refuse such thing, I'll wait till you are ready and if my parents has to assist you then it shouldn't be beyond ordinary normal assistance expected from the bride's family. I will never allow my man to behave in a way that will make anyone ever look down on him,never.If he's still not boyant and we both want the marriage in a hurry then we will do a very low key wedding and he takes full charge and won't have to go above his capability.

Your first function as a wife, and you're all set to fail woefully.

Learn to READ THE ROOM before postulations.

Omode n se e.

1 Like

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by Elsueno: 7:33pm On Nov 14, 2021
Tonero5200 Shebe ur wife loves u? If yes, Then

Don't worry about it, this happens alot of time when the wifes family is very buoyant... probably her dad likes to show off..let them do as they please grin

I repeat do not frustrate ur wife woh...what happened is normal, no let ur ego destroy ur happy home

3 Likes

Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by Monaco2(m): 7:35pm On Nov 14, 2021
Tonero5200:
Hi.

* We paid for the cakes

* We paid for drinks

U wey in-law support u no go happy, when I marry in-law no support me o, na dem even add more expenses to be paid by me... just thank ur God say u get better in-law
Re: Her Parents Sponsored Our Wedding, Should I Be Worried. by roughneck: 7:35pm On Nov 14, 2021
There is an expression by Yoruba fathers usually when their daughters are getting married, your hear something like “mo fe se iyawo fun omo mi” I’m giving my daughters hand out in marriage. They won’t say my daughter is getting married. The celebration is not yours alone, both parents are happy their children are getting married and will gladly support with whatever resources available.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

PHOTO: This Beautiful Girl Is Missing / About To Wed Emakpo Akpowene Dies In Delta (Photos) / Why Nigerian Guys Are Refusing To Marry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.