Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,224 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:59 AM

Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? (16258 Views)

How Lucrative Is TIG Welding In Nigeria? / How Lucrative Is The Legal Profession? / How Lucrative Is Bsc Building Compare To Bsc Architecture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? by daneni1(m): 4:11pm On Nov 18, 2021
seunolu7:
Who swore for Nigerians on nairaland? Everything is job, job, job. No thread on how you people created a company that employed 15 people. No local initiative on startups, mergers, bootstrapping, and entering Nigerian stock market. Just look at india. All you clowns know is job, job, job. Can I get a job? Give me a job. Lol. Clowns.

You can as well create such thread. Instead of complaining, be a game changer.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? by Abudu2000(m): 4:16pm On Nov 18, 2021
Hope you are not talking about those POS shop owners coz alot of them are graduates of accounting.

2 Likes

Re: Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? by Mandrake20(m): 4:16pm On Nov 18, 2021
Its lucrative bro. If u want to cofirm try searching job sites. Nd see d demand for it. Esp wen ure ican certified u make negotiations on what to be paid
Re: Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? by quadriolakunle(m): 4:18pm On Nov 18, 2021
It can be lucrative, and sometimes very lucrative.

To start with, CFOs of all major entities earning 100s of millions are all chartered accountants, they did not start that way, but today they are counting Annual pay more than what a lot of entrepreneurs will ever make in a life time. ( Do your research)

Even if you are not chartered and you are smart, after you graduate try to get into the Big 4 ( Audit Division) , here you get paid fairly ( I think all big 4 pays above 200k now for entry level, non chartered), get international exposure, get training to be chartered. You can then run to the industry after 4 to 5 years where you can land a finance manager role in a reputable company. ( you may earn up to 1m per month based on the industry and your negotiation power)

Meanwhile, you must note that most companies paying this money will actually make you work for it. You wont be in the Big 4 earning 200k as new hire non chartered and expect to do same work as somebody in a small audit firm earning 50k or 100k

Just to also mentions, Partners in most Audit firms and big men in their own level, you wont hear their names in the news or something, but they make profits in huge millions.

So I personally think it is lucrative, should you be ready to put in the work.

4 Likes

Re: Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? by ednut1(m): 4:19pm On Nov 18, 2021
daintyprincess:

What about those with 2.2
they usually do 2.1 and above for the main audit firms. You can start from smaller firms and move to the bigger ones with experience gained.
Re: Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? by Naijabad: 4:19pm On Nov 18, 2021
OvaSabi1:

Best thing is to start working on your ican or anan. Also be humble and ready start small and before you know it, you're climbing the ladder quickly after a few years.

Please dont take that ANAN advice.

ANAN is a worthless piece of paper.
Re: Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? by oluwaseunamos33(m): 4:19pm On Nov 18, 2021
arthurwillia:

One question Sir, are you chartered?

Are you a chartered accountant!?

Says Oga shewen panel beater in okokomaiko
LOL

1 Like

Re: Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? by Teenaira: 4:20pm On Nov 18, 2021
GodIsBiafran:
angry I don't need an accountant. I can count my own money. angry

Haba, that is to say the money no plenty.
Re: Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? by GodIsBiafran: 4:23pm On Nov 18, 2021
Teenaira:

[s]Haba, that is to say the money no plenty.[/s]

Olodo. How many seconds does it take to check that 10 million has been deposited in an account?
Re: Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? by Yoighaman(m): 4:23pm On Nov 18, 2021
Naijabad:
I wouldn't have been where I am today without ICAN.

After qualification, make sure you add some skills relevant to accounting such as excel skill, Sound knowledge of IFRS, Good knowledge of Nigerian tax laws and how to defend tax position, Knowledge of international finance, know how to recover excess bank charges from dubious banks (because 90% of Nigerian Banks are dubious), etc.

If you are good at the above, you will consult for other companies aside your primary place of employment.

What I have earned from side hustle is far more than what I currently earn per month, all thanks to FCA after my name.

As per difficulty, ICAN of today is one of the easiest exams any slowpoke can pass.

Well said.
Re: Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? by Yoighaman(m): 4:26pm On Nov 18, 2021
quadriolakunle:

To start with, CFOs of all major entities earning 100s of millions are all chartered accountants, they did not start that way, but today they are counting Annual pay more than what a lot of entrepreneurs will ever make in a life time. ( Do your research)

Even if you are not chartered and you are smart, after you graduate try to get into the Big 4 ( Audit Division) , here you get paid fairly ( I think all big 4 pays above 200k now for entry level, non chartered), get international exposure, get training to be chartered. You can then run to the industry after 4 to 5 years where you can land a finance manager role in a reputable company. ( you may earn up to 1m per month based on the industry and your negotiation power)

Meanwhile, you must note that most companies paying this money will actually make you work for it. You wont be in the Big 4 earning 200k as new hire non chartered and expect to do same work as somebody in a small audit firm earning 50k or 100k

Just to also mentions, Partners in most Audit firms and big men in their own level, you wont hear their names in the news or something, but they make profits in huge millions.

Nice post.
Re: Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? by Drefaithful(m): 4:31pm On Nov 18, 2021
arthurwillia:

Wow thank you so much for the in-depth explanation and first hand experience examples.. I appreciate your time..

I can see one can really give it a try. And it will pay off

But sir are you also chartered already? Or still in the process

I'm in final stage of ICAN, I have 3 papers left.
Re: Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? by chloride6: 4:36pm On Nov 18, 2021
Very lucrative..

There is always space for a brilliant and creative accountant...

1 Like

Re: Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? by Teenaira: 4:36pm On Nov 18, 2021
GodIsBiafran:

Olodo. How many seconds does it take to check that 10 million has been deposited in an account?

How do you expect me to know when nobody deposited 10m in my account. For your information, I don't collect sitting allowance !!!
Re: Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? by seunolu7: 4:46pm On Nov 18, 2021
arthurwillia:

How many start ups you get abeg? How many merger you don merge? Low life online keypad warrior

Look at this lifeless frustrated job seeker quoting me. Na me say make your brain dey faulty?
Re: Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? by somehow: 4:46pm On Nov 18, 2021
Quite lucrative.
Re: Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? by OvaSabi1(f): 4:47pm On Nov 18, 2021
Naijabad:

Please elaborate because what I have been made to understand is that by those who have it is different.
Re: Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? by hmohammed(m): 4:47pm On Nov 18, 2021
I am an accountant and earn 6 digits. Accounting is lucrative
Re: Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? by somehow: 4:48pm On Nov 18, 2021
quadriolakunle:

You can't get into the big 4 if you are not chattered unless you are talking back door which is also rare.
Re: Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? by quadriolakunle(m): 4:58pm On Nov 18, 2021
There is no back door into the Big4, they are merit based institutions. However, graduate of any course can enter as graduate trainee, either chartered or not. Just have a minimum of 2:1. The main hurdle is passing the multiple stage recruitment process.

somehow:

You can't get into the big 4 if you are not chattered unless you are talking back door which is also rare.

1 Like

Re: Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? by somehow: 5:03pm On Nov 18, 2021
quadriolakunle:
There is no back door into the Big4, they are merit based institutions. However, graduate of any course can enter as graduate trainee, either chartered or not. Just have a minimum of 2:1. The main hurdle is passing the multiple stage recruitment process.

I am not cut out to argue.
Re: Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? by seunmsg(m): 5:06pm On Nov 18, 2021
Not as lucrative and door opening as it used to be before because of the proliferation of Accounting bodies. The market, especially public sector is now saturated with “professional accountants” who at best should be referred to as quacks.

However, if you’re diligent and hardworking, you will still find the profession lucrative. Luck is also a factor.
Re: Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? by Naijabad: 5:08pm On Nov 18, 2021
hmohammed:
I am an accountant and earn 6 digits. Accounting is lucrative

100,000 NGN is six digit.

3 Likes

Re: Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? by seunmsg(m): 5:09pm On Nov 18, 2021
Naijabad:

Not anymore. They are everywhere in the public sector like flies over rotten food. They are ruining public sector accounting with their unprofessionalism and quackery.
Re: Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? by Gerrard59(m): 5:20pm On Nov 18, 2021
seunolu7:
Who swore for Nigerians on nairaland? Everything is job, job, job. No thread on how you people created a company that employed 15 people. No local initiative on startups, mergers, bootstrapping, and entering Nigerian stock market. Just look at india. All you clowns know is job, job, job. Can I get a job? Give me a job. Lol. Clowns.

Tell me one country where there are more employers than employees or companies than prospective job seekers? And I wager that if you're asked how many companies you have created and revenues generated, you will enter voicemail.
Re: Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? by Gerrard59(m): 5:23pm On Nov 18, 2021
somehow:

Big fat lie!

Anyone with a bachelor degree or even HND (PwC) can get recruited as an entry level employee and even the accounting aspect does not apply across all departments as those in IT don't need to have an accounting or finance background/certification before being employed.

I know persons without accounting background who weren't chartered but work in KPMG and PwC. In fact, those I know without an accounting degree surpass those with one.

If you must lie, please lie intelligently.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? by GodIsBiafran: 5:29pm On Nov 18, 2021
Teenaira:
How do you expect me to know when nobody deposited 10m in my account. For your information, I don't collect sitting allowance !!!

So you are poor like this, and you are making noise quoting me. Keep kwayet.
Re: Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? by Mexyz(m): 5:33pm On Nov 18, 2021
daintyprincess:

What about those with 2.2
If you see an Audit/Accounting Firm that can take you in, then no problem.

Are you in Lagos?
Re: Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? by Julius209(m): 5:33pm On Nov 18, 2021
What's the chances of someone with a first class in Insurance, chartered and above 30yrs old
Re: Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? by FemiZets(m): 5:33pm On Nov 18, 2021
arthurwillia:

Lol boss you’ve gone far oo!! We are talking of Naija now? And is there anyway that a chartered accountant can be recognized in uk?

Of course, you can get a job in UK but you must first register with the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales. The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN) signed a Pathway MOU Agreement with The Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW) on May 10, 2018. Under this Agreement, ICAN members may apply to become members of ICAEW with or without writing further examinations. My advice is for whoever to first register with ICAEW.

4 Likes

Re: Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? by mrksquare: 5:34pm On Nov 18, 2021
As my ICAN lecturer will always opined "Being a chartered accountant is a passport away from Poverty". Connect the dot op.

2 Likes

Re: Chartered Accountancy? How Lucrative Is It? by Brunel(m): 5:37pm On Nov 18, 2021
Naijabad:

But the Accountant General of the Federation has ANAN, not ICAN

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Cope With A 9 To 5 When You Are Not A Morning Person / What's Affecting My Productivity? My Mindset, My Location, Or My Village People / Have You Been Shouted At By A Subordinate At Work Before?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.