Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,364 members, 7,815,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:09 PM

Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? (17099 Views)

10 African Countries With The Highest Minimum Wage / An Employer Sent The Above Message To His Employees / Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by Unibener: 9:22am On Nov 21, 2021
Wahala
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by Ablesam171: 9:23am On Nov 21, 2021
hmmm
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by Ferdinandu(m): 9:24am On Nov 21, 2021
Talk2david1:
Good evening nairalanders. I need an answer to the above question most preferably by the lawyers in this forum. Sometime ago, the President signed into law the new minimum wage of #30,000 but some employers especially private school owners still pay their staff as low as #10,000 monthly. Even here in calabar some weeks ago, the street sweepers were protesting for not being paid their '#7,500' salary for 6 months. My question is,
Does the #30,000 minimum wage apply only to government workers or are private employees suppose to adhere to this law also?
And in a case where you work in big Private school that makes up to 70 million in a term, can You sue your employer for paying less than the minimum wage without loosing your job or being fired?
Federal Government who signed the bill pay people in various ministries less than 30k in the name of casual staff. Think about that. Don't believe everything you see when you live in a shithole country

2 Likes

Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by chloride6: 9:24am On Nov 21, 2021
There is a minimum staff requirement.

1 Like

Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by treatise: 9:25am On Nov 21, 2021
Maybe you've just finished watching a foreign documentary or movie and forgetting that Nigeria is your country.

3 Likes

Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by nedekid: 9:27am On Nov 21, 2021
Talk2david1:

This account will soon be suspended...
This I have seen...
But you have not seen that you will loose your job?

3 Likes

Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by Lexusgs430: 9:28am On Nov 21, 2021
Talk2david1:
Good evening nairalanders. I need an answer to the above question most preferably by the lawyers in this forum. Sometime ago, the President signed into law the new minimum wage of #30,000 but some employers especially private school owners still pay their staff as low as #10,000 monthly. Even here in calabar some weeks ago, the street sweepers were protesting for not being paid their '#7,500' salary for 6 months. My question is,
Does the #30,000 minimum wage apply only to government workers or are private employees suppose to adhere to this law also?
And in a case where you work in big Private school that makes up to 70 million in a term, can You sue your employer for paying less than the minimum wage without loosing your job or being fired?

Yes, you can sue ....... But ensure another job is around the corner for you ..........

Even the government, does not respect rule of law ........

The law is not worth the paper it is written on .......
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by deltateam: 9:30am On Nov 21, 2021
Unibener:
No na, this is Nigeria
Baba u funny ooo.
Based on your thinking, e sure me die say u still be teen.
Try dey read news especially International news for ur brain's sake
70 million in a term, do they sell their students body parts or what ?

You have no idea.
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by emmanuelewumi(m): 9:31am On Nov 21, 2021
Talk2david1:

Just resign your appointment and move on
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by dollynnn(f): 9:31am On Nov 21, 2021
Talk2david1:
Yes. By virtue of section 3 of the National Minimum Wage Act 2019 , the national minimum wage is #30,000.
Section 4 of that Act also provides for certain categories of people exempted from being paid #30000. They are:
A) workers paid on commission basis or piece rates
B) Establishments with less than 25 workers
C) workers in seasonal employment like Agriculture
D) workers employed on a vessel or aircraft
Section 9(1) of the same act also provides that an employer must pay his employee the national minimum wage which is subject to statutory deductions.
Section 9(2) provides for punishment in cases where 9(1) is contravened
-payment of all outstanding arreas
- a penalty not exceeding 5% of the offending employer's monthly salary

3 Likes

Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by MikeMicheal(m): 9:31am On Nov 21, 2021
josewale:
Someone should please help me with little amount to buy food to eat I beg am hungry I need food and if you have job for me to sustain i ll really appreciate please help me am hungry I need food thanks and God bless 901. 5283. 728 wale
ECO BANK
With Xpress account. THIEF grin
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by AutoChick4U(f): 9:32am On Nov 21, 2021
In Nigeria? Kai this country no be am at all
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by Danjikanbauchi: 9:33am On Nov 21, 2021
FuckDModz:
Them tie your umbilical cord for the job? Quit and find a job that can pay you better!

Fuc.king bastards have no clue what it takes to run a company and put lazy mfs in your payroll.

bro take it easy on the mafo. He thinks running a company and paying staff members every month is like coming to Nairaland and typed rubbish.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by oluwasegun007(m): 9:33am On Nov 21, 2021
U AF see work for NNPC abi
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by Dblaiz(f): 9:33am On Nov 21, 2021
dollynnn:

Yes. By virtue of section 3 of the National Minimum Wage Act 2019 , the national minimum wage is #30,000.
Section 4 of that Act also provides for certain categories of people exempted from being paid #30000. They are:
A) workers paid on commission basis or piece rates
B) Establishments with less than 25 workers
C) workers in seasonal employment like Agriculture
D) workers employed on a vessel or aircraft
this summarized it

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by MPESA(m): 9:34am On Nov 21, 2021
FuckDModz:
Them tie your umbilical cord for the job? Quit and find a job that can pay you better!

Fuc.king bastards have no clue what it takes to run a company and put lazy mfs in your payroll.

God bless you, all I see is Greed Because no be force to work there.

2 Likes

Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by Maj196(m): 9:34am On Nov 21, 2021
Apparently, there's no law in here. So anything goes
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by Myer(m): 9:35am On Nov 21, 2021
FuckDModz:

Lol both employer and employee need each other bro.
You dont know his situation so just chill.

Minimum wage applies to civil service and govt parastatals.
A private biz cannot be sued for not paying up to the minimum wage.

1 Like

Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by jaxxy(m): 9:36am On Nov 21, 2021
Talk2david1:

Are all governors paying the minimum wage? U want to disturb a private employer?

Go and sue ur state governor 1st. Nobody forces u too take the job. That’s what the employer can pay for the position. Private businesses isn’t like government work. U pay according to ur revenues. FG doesn’t bail them out or dash them money. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by mema900: 9:37am On Nov 21, 2021
FuckDModz:

One cup of chilled palmi for you

2 Likes

Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by MPESA(m): 9:39am On Nov 21, 2021
nedekid:

But you have not seen that you will loose your job?

cheesy
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by MPESA(m): 9:42am On Nov 21, 2021
Myer:

Lol both employer and employee need each other bro.
You dont know his situation so just chill.

Minimum wage applies to civil service and govt parastatals.
A private biz cannot be sued for not paying up to the minimum wage.

But na him agreed on the said salary if it's weren't enough or under paid he should quit nah.
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by FamTomx2(m): 9:43am On Nov 21, 2021
grin

FuckDModz:

Na your papa won suspend am?

1 Like

Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by dollynnn(f): 9:43am On Nov 21, 2021
femi4:
You can't sue them if you already agreed to less than 30k in your letter of appointment by appending your signature
This is not correct.
Section 3(3) of the National Minimum Wage Act 2019 provides that any agreement to pay less than the minimum wage is void.
So even if something like that was incorporated into the terms of the contract of employment and the employee had signed,such is of no effect.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by Emeskhalifa(m): 9:44am On Nov 21, 2021
Hahahaha ok na

Good luck suing ooo
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by Nobody: 9:44am On Nov 21, 2021
Talk2david1:
5years,court Neva finish your case.
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by Emeskhalifa(m): 9:46am On Nov 21, 2021
FuckDModz:

They don't know na. Bunch of ingrates all they think about is their salary not even the smooth running of your business.

4 Likes

Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by Emma1Oj(m): 9:46am On Nov 21, 2021
Yes.. move a motion against the employer for total disregard and molesting the federal government instruction.

You shall be favored by the judge.
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by FutureIsFemale(f): 9:48am On Nov 21, 2021
Unibener:
No na, this is Nigeria
Baba u funny ooo.
haven't you seen or heard a school that fees per term is 1.5m? What if such school has over 70 students?
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by Emeskhalifa(m): 9:49am On Nov 21, 2021
Unibener:
No na, this is Nigeria
Baba u funny ooo.

No mind op.

Na their type they calculate profit without calculating expenses grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? / Inspector Usman Kadiri Dies Mysteriously 12 Hours After Promotion In Ondo / After Studying Geology For 4 Years, What Next?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.