Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,390 members, 7,815,830 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:03 PM

Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? (17100 Views)

10 African Countries With The Highest Minimum Wage / An Employer Sent The Above Message To His Employees / Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by ultiabaz36(m): 11:27am On Nov 21, 2021
How can you sue an employer that recruit you via recruiting firm. He will just send you back to your recruiting firm. Sefini
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by cooooooks(m): 11:29am On Nov 21, 2021
Very interested in this.

N30k is likely for full time work. The state will almost definitely argue that street sweepers are not full time.

Talk2david1:
Good evening nairalanders. I need an answer to the above question most preferably by the lawyers in this forum. Sometime ago, the President signed into law the new minimum wage of #30,000 but some employers especially private school owners still pay their staff as low as #10,000 monthly. Even here in calabar some weeks ago, the street sweepers were protesting for not being paid their '#7,500' salary for 6 months. My question is,
Does the #30,000 minimum wage apply only to government workers or are private employees suppose to adhere to this law also?
And in a case where you work in big Private school that makes up to 70 million in a term, can You sue your employer for paying less than the minimum wage without loosing your job or being fired?
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by RomanGreen: 11:36am On Nov 21, 2021
FuckDModz:
Them tie your umbilical cord for the job? Quit and find a job that can pay you better!

Fuc.king bastards have no clue what it takes to run a company and put lazy mfs in your payroll.

You're so dumb....how the hell will employers give you their best when you treat them like a piece of shit? People like you don't deserve management positions coz you end up running the company down with your attitude towards employees. I don't blame you and your likes....weak labor laws has really emboldened weaklings like you...try that shit in developed nation and watch yourself loose that firm you manage... nonsense, whatever happens to human capital development...m0ron
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by Tipster07: 11:37am On Nov 21, 2021
Please can any lawyer help me my Boss refuse to pay me for the month I worked after I drop my resignation letter
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by Sleekfingers: 11:54am On Nov 21, 2021
Talk2david1:
Good evening nairalanders. I need an answer to the above question most preferably by the lawyers in this forum. Sometime ago, the President signed into law the new minimum wage of #30,000 but some employers especially private school owners still pay their staff as low as #10,000 monthly. Even here in calabar some weeks ago, the street sweepers were protesting for not being paid their '#7,500' salary for 6 months. My question is,
Does the #30,000 minimum wage apply only to government workers or are private employees suppose to adhere to this law also?
And in a case where you work in big Private school that makes up to 70 million in a term, can You sue your employer for paying less than the minimum wage without loosing your job or being fired?

Ridiculous question, suing your employer without losing your job......and you expect your employer to trust you or wanna have anything to do without you?

Yes, you can sue your employer......but it is advisable to do it in group......I mean you and other employees........

When you got the job, didn't they tell you the amount , you will receiving monthly?
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by ford101: 12:04pm On Nov 21, 2021
Ifebaby16:
First, start by involving the police grin
lol idiot.so he ll just tell the police that in his work place the pay him 10k,so he wants the chairman of the company or school to be arrested first before any other thing.lol
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by ford101: 12:08pm On Nov 21, 2021
femi4:
You can't sue them if you already agreed to less than 30k in your letter of appointment by appending your signature
if he even have an appointment letter self.
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by toujurs: 12:11pm On Nov 21, 2021
Talk2david1:
This mumu man, did they tie your kidney to the job. Why not look for a better job where you can be paid your desired 30k minimum wage. Do you think its easy to run a business in nigeria, why not set up your business and pay your staff 30k each.

1 Like

Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by EmzyT: 12:12pm On Nov 21, 2021
FuckDModz:

Na your papa won suspend am?

Lalasticlala Mynd44 Seun Dominique Justwise

Rule 2.
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by Euforia: 12:43pm On Nov 21, 2021
Talk2david1:

Of course he can.

The court is the last resort of the 'common man' even when he has zero skills, poor attitude to work, is inept or grossly irresponsible and perhaps displays outright stupidity on all fronts.

Yes he can. And he should.

In doing so he finally leaves nobody in doubt as per his intelligence quotient.

We all get jobs we deserve at every point in time. Creation is perfect and so are the Laws governing and sustaining life.

Go figure......!
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by yahmohy27: 12:46pm On Nov 21, 2021
President Buhari approved financial autonomy for LG, Governors rejected it.
President Buhari approved financial autonomy for State Judiciary ,the Governors rejected it.
President Buhari approved financial autonomy for State Legislature, Governors rejected it.
President Buhari approved financial increment for teachers, Governors opposed it.
Yesterday president Buhari has approved financial bailout again for States and the Governors are silently jubilating. Between Buhari and State Governors who is your enemy?
I rest my case for now

2 Likes

Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by irunoko(m): 1:01pm On Nov 21, 2021
WibusJaga:

But taking legal action against offending Employer is another cup of tea. cool
taking legal actions in a lawless country even judges themselves get for hand
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by philiancoop(m): 1:05pm On Nov 21, 2021
Talk2david1:

See this entitled cry baby... Why don't you leave the job and create your own??
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by Flamees(m): 1:14pm On Nov 21, 2021
FuckDModz:

Na your papa won suspend am?

1 Like

Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by harmargedon: 1:15pm On Nov 21, 2021
Unibener:
No na, this is Nigeria
Baba u funny ooo.
Based on your thinking, e sure me die say u still be teen.
Try dey read news especially International news for ur brain's sake
70 million in a term, do they sell their students body parts or what ?
Day Waterman College, their students pay 3.5 mill...

1 Like

Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by splashbaby(m): 1:32pm On Nov 21, 2021
Ifebaby16:
First, start by involving the police grin
true ...haaa police...na dia you go find out how much you go pay to move forward with your sueing...dem go investigate and recommend the case to DPP grin grin grin
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by Nobody: 1:34pm On Nov 21, 2021
IamRandy:
AS FAR AS is in Nigeria,

Nothing will happen!!!

The JUDICIAL SYSTEM is DEAD!!

Where is the NLC today?grin

The executive, judicial and legislative manifestations of something I detest can't help matters......
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by Trendy05(f): 1:35pm On Nov 21, 2021
Unibener:
No na, this is Nigeria
Baba u funny ooo.

Big schools make over that amount.
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Nov 21, 2021
yahmohy27:
President Buhari approved financial autonomy for LG, Governors rejected it.
President Buhari approved financial autonomy for State Judiciary ,the Governors rejected it.
President Buhari approved financial autonomy for State Legislature, Governors rejected it.
President Buhari approved financial increment for teachers, Governors opposed it.
Yesterday president Buhari has approved financial bailout again for States and the Governors are silently jubilating. Between Buhari and State Governors who is your enemy?
I rest my case for now

If Buhari can't impose or enforce these things,
Then why does he exist??...

Let's just say the entire government (local,state and federal combined) is useless....
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by Nobody: 1:40pm On Nov 21, 2021
Euforia:

Of course he can.

The court is the last resort of the 'common man' even when he has zero skills, poor attitude to work, is inept or grossly irresponsible and perhaps displays outright stupidity on all fronts.

Yes he can. And he should.

In doing so he finally leaves nobody in doubt as per his intelligence quotient.

We all get jobs we deserve at every point in time. Creation is perfect and so are the Laws governing and sustaining life.

Go figure......!

Who is 'we'??
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by Yampotatocarrot(m): 1:52pm On Nov 21, 2021
Venerable612:

I
But please - don’t take a court action against an employer that doesn’t have the money to pay! It’s essentially fruitless.

Hope that helps.

Well, the school can just claim they don't have the money to pay. Even if they get 70m as he stated, what is their running cost, does he know that?

So, anyway it goes, looking at your write-up, the employer wins, since it'll be "essentially fruitless"
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by Johel(m): 3:02pm On Nov 21, 2021
Talk2david1:

Don't just waste your time,money and strength... Nigeria is a very useless kwantiri
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by rickyrex(m): 3:03pm On Nov 21, 2021
Unibener:
No na, this is Nigeria
Baba u funny ooo.
am sure Corona can earn more than that in a term. And it's still not the most expensive school in nigeria

1 Like

Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by Easylifelomo(m): 3:08pm On Nov 21, 2021
No case
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by Venerable612(m): 3:44pm On Nov 21, 2021
Yampotatocarrot:

Well, the school can just claim they don't have the money to pay. Even if they get 70m as he stated, what is their running cost, does he know that?

So, anyway it goes, looking at your write-up, the employer wins, since it'll be "essentially fruitless"

Employer doesn’t win, if the Court finds that they owe the claimants for outstanding wages. They will be indebted - whether or not they have the money to pay. Judgement debt can be levied against cash in bank account or assets… doesn’t matter if you have the money or not.
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by blackboy(m): 4:44pm On Nov 21, 2021
Arrest yam!! That is how I was on the nysc thread and someone there mentioned that working without nysc is a crime . I seriously wonder if some of us are not Nigerians are just biased in our thinking. I am not being paid N30k so let me sue. I have done my nysc so anyone who never do am must not work. Lets open our minds.
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by Sttk: 4:51pm On Nov 21, 2021
Yeah
Re: Can An Employer Be Sued For Paying Less Than 30k Minimum Wage? by Yampotatocarrot(m): 6:43pm On Nov 21, 2021
Venerable612:

Employer doesn’t win, if the Court finds that they owe the claimants for outstanding wages. They will be indebted - whether or not they have the money to pay. Judgement debt can be levied against cash in bank account or assets… doesn’t matter if you have the money or not.

Lol, I love the way you think bro. The employer will just file for bankruptcy or any of the 5 other steps he can take. What if the employer cooks us charges against the said employee and get other employees to support as witness

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? / Inspector Usman Kadiri Dies Mysteriously 12 Hours After Promotion In Ondo / After Studying Geology For 4 Years, What Next?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.