Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,851 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:11 PM

The African Culture's View: Patriarchy And Feminism. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The African Culture's View: Patriarchy And Feminism. (177 Views)

Both Redpill And Feminism are the Consequences Of Atheism / Male Chivalry And Feminism: Are They Mutually Exclusive? / My Opinion About FEMINISM... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The African Culture's View: Patriarchy And Feminism. by Lat1ene(m): 10:49am On Nov 26, 2021
THE AFRICAN CULTURE'S VIEW: PATRIARCHY AND FEMINISM.

Episode one.

Africa without doubt have experience series of unfortunate physical and psychological wars, culture wipe, impositions and invasions in the past. The war is still present with us but in a different colour - the attractive colour. It is now a subtle war against our culture and identity.

Patriarchy and feminism ( not the toxic ones) is a part of our culture that is actually balance and not viciously against each other as some were made to believe.

The African societies are predominantly founded on patriarchal rules, yes! Women are not important? The word of women is irrelevant? Should women be view as an object to be used for reproductive and kitchen roles only? Women are not equal to men? This are some of the questions feminism want answers to.

Facing the reality, African's societies patriarchy ( should it even be called patriarchy? ) Have never been viciously against women's rights. The African culture stand to be protecting women. Certain culture limit some activities to men, not that the women are not equal to men, no! It simply means the roles may be hazardous to women.

If our culture is a den of evil misogynistic patriarchy as proposed, we should not have women warriors, goddess, regents, chiefs and queens of influence in our society. If women are not important to African's culture, then why is it actually a must for most if not all African king to be married before he can actually be crowned?

The African politics give women rights to express their views abundantly, there are women chiefs who wield mighty power in the society, women forms groups and cults to express their views, displeasures and pursue their ambition without any misogynistic opposition. The history of heroic women were also well recorded; a misogynistic patriarchal society will not do this.

Tbc.
© Lat1ene
PHILO WRITER™.
This work is subjected to copyright terms and conditions.
Re: The African Culture's View: Patriarchy And Feminism. by siofra(f): 11:15am On Nov 26, 2021
If our culture is a den of evil misogynistic patriarchy as proposed, we should not have women warriors, goddess, regents, chiefs and queens of influence in our society. If women are not important to African's culture, then why is it actually a must for most if not all African king to be married before he can actually be crowned?

No one has ever called Africa a den of evil misogynistic patriarchy. But yes Africa probably has the highest number of misogynists and is patriarchal.
Below is a definition of misogyny I saw online. Note the words limited access

Misogyny functions as an ideology or belief system that has accompanied patriarchal, or male-dominated societies for thousands of years and continues to place women in subordinate positions with limited access to power and decision making

This means they don't have to absolutely deny women access to power to be misogynistic.

The African politics give women rights to express their views abundantly, there are women chiefs who wield mighty power in the society, women forms groups and cults to express their views, displeasures and pursue their ambition without any misogynistic opposition. The history of heroic women were also well recorded; a misogynistic patriarchal society will not do this.

See when women form cults or group, it's usually not as violent as when men do same. That's why they are not seen as a threat. For example compare r/Female dating strategy and the now defunct r/redpill. You'll see the difference.

There are very few women who hold political offices in Nigeria today and that's not enough. Just because one or two women you know hold political offices in the country doesn't mean there's no patriachy or misogyny in the African society.

I don't know the stats for the number of women holding political offices in Nigeria but I know it will be less than 10%

And this is so bad considering the fact that women make up to 50% of the Nigerian population.

2 Likes

Re: The African Culture's View: Patriarchy And Feminism. by othermen: 8:35am On Nov 27, 2021
I ask how many places they have been in Africa or Nigeria to make such judgment as to the character of countless people?

I ask what record or history or findings is cited to support the assertion that thousands and thousands and thousands of societies in Africa were built on patriarchal and almost all the men are misogynist?

I ask what personal experience is had where women despite their qualifications are put in subordinate positions to incompetent men?

I ask if such experience is inherent in Africa or prevailed due the adoption of the Abrahamic religions?

Africa has separate cultures and I think it is a terrible judgment when a sweeping generalisation is made.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Mac Book Unibody 2009-10 Edition / WHAT Level Is Your Joy / How To Stop Getting Added To Unknown Telegram Groups

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.