Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,463 members, 7,816,086 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:37 AM

The Meaning Of The First Alphabet Found In The Name Of Military Aircraft - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Meaning Of The First Alphabet Found In The Name Of Military Aircraft (3622 Views)

Bandits Shoot At Military Aircraft Searching For Major Datong Abducted From NDA / ‘Repentant’ Boko Haram Members Arrive Maiduguri From Niger In Military Aircraft / 5 Pilots, Air Force Personnel Die In Military Aircraft Crash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Meaning Of The First Alphabet Found In The Name Of Military Aircraft by shigishege: 7:28pm On Nov 27, 2021
Have you ever wondered what the first alphabet in Military Aircraft means?? Here you have the anawers.

These are the meaning of the first alphabet in the Military Aircrafts.

Let's start alphabetically...

1. A stands for ATTACK
These are the type of aircraft that are built to search and destroy the enemy's aircraft. An example of this type of aircraft is the legendary A-10 Thunderbolt, A-20 and A- 26.

2. B stands for BOMBER
These are the aircraft that are built to specifically attack with air-to-ground weapons like guided missiles, bombs and torpedos. Examples of bomber aircraft are B-29, B-2 Spirit and the B-52 Stratofortress.

3. C stands for CARGO (TRANSPORT)
These are the aircraft that are designed to carry supplies, troops or Munitions. Examples are Lockheed C-5 Galaxy and C-17 Globemaster III.

4. E stands for ELECTRONIC
These are the type of military aircraft that are capable of electronic warfare (EW) such as hindering the enemy's radio and radar by using radar jamming technologies. Examples are Northrop Grumman EA-6B and Boeing EA-18G Growler.

5. F stands for FIGHTER
These are the type of aircraft that are specifically designed to perform Air-to-Air combat examples are the F-86 Sabre and F-22 Raptor.

6. K stands for Tanker
These are the aircraft that are used to carry out aerial refuelling of other aircraft while flying. Examples are KC-46A Pegasus and McDonnell Douglas KC-10 Extender.

7. R stands for RECONNAISSANCE
These are the type of aircraft that are used to scout and obtain information about a geographical location. A good example is the Boeing RC-135.

8. X which stands for SPECIAL RESEARCH or EXPERIMENTAL
These are military aircraft that are used to test new technologies or concepts design, they are usually prototypes. Examples are X-48 and X-51 Waverider.

9. AT stands for ADVANCED TRAINER
These are the type of aircraft that are used to train pilots how to be able to fly aircraft with an advanced combat ability and how to operate it at a very high speed and have higher manoeuvrability than normal trainer aircraft.

10. BT Stands for BASIC TRAINER
These are aircraft that are built to teach entry-level pilots about flight training. An example is the BT-13

Source: Google

28 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Meaning Of The First Alphabet Found In The Name Of Military Aircraft by Asiri1991: 7:33pm On Nov 27, 2021
Ok
Re: The Meaning Of The First Alphabet Found In The Name Of Military Aircraft by TundeWX: 7:34pm On Nov 27, 2021
Very insightful

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of The First Alphabet Found In The Name Of Military Aircraft by amzee(m): 7:36pm On Nov 27, 2021
Nice info
Lalasticlala
Re: The Meaning Of The First Alphabet Found In The Name Of Military Aircraft by WoundedLamb: 8:17pm On Nov 27, 2021
Nice one, OP.

Actually, those are letters of the same alphabet and not alphabets. You might want to correct that.

Thanks for sharing.
Re: The Meaning Of The First Alphabet Found In The Name Of Military Aircraft by Racoon(m): 8:39pm On Nov 27, 2021
Nice one.I use to think the go with the military alphabets.Meanwhile accompanying pictures illustrations would have spice up the thread OP. Weldone anyway.Thanks.

5 Likes

Re: The Meaning Of The First Alphabet Found In The Name Of Military Aircraft by PandoraObi: 8:42pm On Nov 27, 2021
Amazing

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of The First Alphabet Found In The Name Of Military Aircraft by dalongjnr: 8:43pm On Nov 27, 2021
Very apt.
Re: The Meaning Of The First Alphabet Found In The Name Of Military Aircraft by WibusJaga: 8:47pm On Nov 27, 2021

Source of your info Pls.
Re: The Meaning Of The First Alphabet Found In The Name Of Military Aircraft by shigishege: 9:53pm On Nov 27, 2021
Racoon:
Nice one.I use to think the go with the military alphabets.Meanwhile accompanying pictures illustrations would have spice up the thread OP. Weldone anyway.Thanks.
senior man Racoon!! I tried uploading pics there but I didn't get how to attach pics to each of those posts. And the "attach option" at the bottom can only upload 4 pics.

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of The First Alphabet Found In The Name Of Military Aircraft by FarahAideed: 9:57pm On Nov 27, 2021
Spot on but these designations are just for American built military aircraft . the Europeans and Chinese don't use em

2 Likes

Re: The Meaning Of The First Alphabet Found In The Name Of Military Aircraft by wiseone28: 10:18pm On Nov 27, 2021
Re: The Meaning Of The First Alphabet Found In The Name Of Military Aircraft by Freestainworld(m): 3:05am On Nov 28, 2021
I love this thread

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of The First Alphabet Found In The Name Of Military Aircraft by Praxis758: 3:20am On Nov 28, 2021
Very educative.

I see that all those aircrafts are United States made.

Is this aeronautic nomenclature applicable to aircrafts being manufactured by Russia, China Japan etc?

Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: The Meaning Of The First Alphabet Found In The Name Of Military Aircraft by SpatialKing(m): 4:33am On Nov 28, 2021
enlightening
Re: The Meaning Of The First Alphabet Found In The Name Of Military Aircraft by boman2014: 7:02am On Nov 28, 2021
Cool info. Thanks
Re: The Meaning Of The First Alphabet Found In The Name Of Military Aircraft by freshkpomo(m): 7:43am On Nov 28, 2021
Insightful, I commend the OP. But here in Nigeria, everything about armed force just irritates because of the bad eggs or maybe the way the Fed and politicians have turned them to their private dogs

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of The First Alphabet Found In The Name Of Military Aircraft by peleson1: 8:50am On Nov 28, 2021
Nice
Re: The Meaning Of The First Alphabet Found In The Name Of Military Aircraft by ForeThinker: 8:55am On Nov 28, 2021
Yooowaaa

Thanks for sharing

Quite enlightening
Re: The Meaning Of The First Alphabet Found In The Name Of Military Aircraft by Golan007: 9:58am On Nov 28, 2021
FarahAideed:
Spot on but these designations are mostly for American military aircraft

I knew I'd find you here.

Rambo wannabe.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Meaning Of The First Alphabet Found In The Name Of Military Aircraft by CrownOfClay724: 11:17am On Nov 28, 2021
Pictures would have been perfectly complimentary.
Re: The Meaning Of The First Alphabet Found In The Name Of Military Aircraft by Nobody: 11:18am On Nov 28, 2021
shigishege:
Have you ever wondered what the first alphabet in Military Aircraft means?? Here you have the anawers.

These are the meaning of the first alphabet in the Military Aircrafts.

Let's start alphabetically...

1. A stands for ATTACK
These are the type of aircraft that are built to search and destroy the enemy's aircraft. An example of this type of aircraft is the legendary A-10 Thunderbolt, A-20 and A- 26.

2. B stands for BOMBER
These are the aircraft that are built to specifically attack with air-to-ground weapons like guided missiles, bombs and torpedos. Examples of bomber aircraft are B-29, B-2 Spirit and the B-52 Stratofortress.

3. C stands for CARGO (TRANSPORT)
These are the aircraft that are designed to carry supplies, troops or Munitions. Examples are Lockheed C-5 Galaxy and C-17 Globemaster III.

4. E stands for ELECTRONIC
These are the type of military aircraft that are capable of electronic warfare (EW) such as hindering the enemy's radio and radar by using radar jamming technologies. Examples are Northrop Grumman EA-6B and Boeing EA-18G Growler.

5. F stands for FIGHTER
These are the type of aircraft that are specifically designed to perform Air-to-Air combat examples are the F-86 Sabre and F-22 Raptor.

6. K stands for Tanker
These are the aircraft that are used to carry out aerial refuelling of other aircraft while flying. Examples are KC-46A Pegasus and McDonnell Douglas KC-10 Extender.

7. R stands for RECONNAISSANCE
These are the type of aircraft that are used to scout and obtain information about a geographical location. A good example is the Boeing RC-135.

8. X which stands for SPECIAL RESEARCH or EXPERIMENTAL
These are military aircraft that are used to test new technologies or concepts design, they are usually prototypes. Examples are X-48 and X-51 Waverider.

9. AT stands for ADVANCED TRAINER
These are the type of aircraft that are used to train pilots how to be able to fly aircraft with an advanced combat ability and how to operate it at a very high speed and have higher manoeuvrability than normal trainer aircraft.

10. BT Stands for BASIC TRAINER
These are aircraft that are built to teach entry-level pilots about flight training. An example is the BT-13

Source: Google
This is the standard for NATO alone.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Meaning Of The First Alphabet Found In The Name Of Military Aircraft by Nobody: 1:50pm On Nov 28, 2021
Chinese aircraft J is fighter
While russia is su

3 Shares

Re: The Meaning Of The First Alphabet Found In The Name Of Military Aircraft by omowolewa: 2:12pm On Nov 28, 2021
Nice info
Re: The Meaning Of The First Alphabet Found In The Name Of Military Aircraft by GuiseppeO: 2:16pm On Nov 28, 2021
So, Which ones do the Nigerian terrorist army have?
Re: The Meaning Of The First Alphabet Found In The Name Of Military Aircraft by Afamed: 2:57pm On Nov 28, 2021
FarahAideed:
Spot on but these designations are mostly for American military aircraft
Stop exposing your ignorance. PDP wannabe
Re: The Meaning Of The First Alphabet Found In The Name Of Military Aircraft by FarahAideed: 3:01pm On Nov 28, 2021
Afamed:

Stop exposing your ignorance. PDP wannabe

Show me any European or Russian or Chinese military aircraft that follows these desigs

1 Like

Re: The Meaning Of The First Alphabet Found In The Name Of Military Aircraft by mytime24(f): 3:01pm On Nov 28, 2021
What of "S"
Re: The Meaning Of The First Alphabet Found In The Name Of Military Aircraft by TotoGame(m): 3:03pm On Nov 28, 2021
Really love Airforce

.will be there some day
Re: The Meaning Of The First Alphabet Found In The Name Of Military Aircraft by Afamed: 3:08pm On Nov 28, 2021
FarahAideed:

Show me any European or Russian or Chinese military aircraft that follows these desigs
And on which ground should I bother myself to engage inconsequential entity like you?
Re: The Meaning Of The First Alphabet Found In The Name Of Military Aircraft by FarahAideed: 3:11pm On Nov 28, 2021
Afamed:

And why should I engage inconsequential entity like you?

As usual nothing to offer outside PDP APC bants .. totally bereft of any proper knowledge..I know you didn't know all the planes that start with those desigs are all American built ... well I just schooled your once more for free ..

I bet you didn't know the F -16 was a low budget version of the F -15 grin. You thought it's was an advanced version right ? grin. I will keep educating U till u receive sense

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

President Buhari Receives Briefing On Situation In Guinea-Bissau / Boko Haram Is A Threat To Nation’s Unity –ijaw Group / Femi Fani-kayode Denies Being Cramjones On Channels - Cramjones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.