Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,042 members, 7,818,087 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:25 AM

The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction - Politics (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction (53753 Views)

The True Identity Of Bonny/opobo People: Facts Vs Fiction (VIDEO) / Meet The Opobo People Of Rivers State!!! / Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (90) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by GreatBoss: 4:45pm On Nov 30, 2021
GreatBoss:

Language can jam.
And nothing else.

Hausa and Yoruba have so much similar words,

Eg Sugarcane,Matchet, Pig, Onion etc
Are being called same thing in Hausa and Yoruba.
That doesn't make them one people.

Ijaw and Yoruba have many same words too.

E.g Padlock, Cat, the art of Seeing, etc.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by BKayy: 4:45pm On Nov 30, 2021
Ekealterego:

It shows the difference in intellect.

9cloud Here is an account, This is by Captain John Adams (1823). He had a similar account with Crow, detailed but an earlier report on his Bonny exploration.
Ijaw people thought that after the lies of Alagoa in 1972 that all historical records will mysteriously disappear.
They thought that with time nobody will see a trace of Igboness in these groups but here we are, 50 years after, the people of Ubani and Opobo are still speaking Igbo.
They have now found out that it is the language and culture of these groups that brings out questions, questions that when asked, there are hundreds of historical documents to provide the answer that Bonny/Ubani is and have always been Igbo territory.

Now they are desperate. They want to wipe that language and culture but to prove how ignorant they are about history, they don't know that there has never been a successful cultural genocide in History.
If they know of those that are really powerful like Japan and Manchu that attempted it and failed, they wouldn't be wasting their time.
Japan abolished Korean language during Japanese occupation of Korean peninsula and forced the citizens to take Japanese surname but today guess the language ladies watch their Korean love drama in. The same Korea language that Japan tried to wipe right?

These people are just as ignorant as they can be. Especially when drunk as usual.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by GreatBoss: 4:45pm On Nov 30, 2021
All ethnic groups hate Ibo.

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by ThickSharon123(f): 4:46pm On Nov 30, 2021
SaintBishop:
You can't even spell ordinary because,be gone and stay away from my mention, your iQ is too low for me.
And btw,the Elemes are not ijaws neither are they igbos

Okay, professor Quack, grin I didn't understand your statement are you sure you know English too?
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by ThickSharon123(f): 4:48pm On Nov 30, 2021
GreatBoss:
All ethnic groups hate Ibo.

No, that's not true. Igbos are liberal, there are two people who hate them only in Nigeria, the Draconian monarchial Hausa and Yoruba, and the land grabbing and ethnic identity cleansing Ijaws. These two are Nigeria's problem grin

Igbos don't want to give you heads way, I'm sure as soon as you're done with the Igbo lands, you'll move to Akwa Ibom and strip them off their identity, then move to Yoruba land and strip them off their identity too.
You people behave like the Fulani so much, I can see the correlation.

8 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by OfoIgbo: 4:50pm On Nov 30, 2021
Alabo7978:

Don't believe Alagoa, believe PEPPLE and crowther who CLEARLY SHOWED YOU THE DIFFERENCE.

At no point in that snippet did PEPPLE claim he is not Igbo. So your argument falls flat by the way.

At no point was OKOLOMA referred to as Ijaw

Meanwhile, Crowther's account are many decades after a more reliable account from Captain Crow

Ubani and Kalabari have Igbo lineages ruling over those places, so they could be speaking the Ndoki dialect of Igbo around the time that Crowther writing

How come the Bonny numbering system written down by earlier writers showcased core Igbo numbering system?

10 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by OfoIgbo: 4:54pm On Nov 30, 2021
9Pluto:

Crowther's account DIDN'T favour him. It is like Ngwa people calling Bende people Umu Ogbo, while Bende people refer to themselves as Alai, item etc Look at it carefully, including the language dictionary @Ekealterego posted from the same book. The Bonny words(number 127 on the list) as translated there were PURE igbo words.

Is none of you not surprised that in both Crow and Crowther's accounts, there hasn't been a single mention of Ijaw(the so called natives) in all those records. Perhaps they were so invisible the authors didn't take note of them.

I noticed that.

I alluded as much, in my previous response to Alabo.

6 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Biafrarep(m): 4:55pm On Nov 30, 2021
Alabo7978:

He didn't say so, your white man said so.

And by the way, the only reason ndoki even have some ties with Bonny was because Asimini married off his granddaughter Kambasa off to an ndoki man to Foster trade relations with the hinterlands, Kambasa didn't like that place, and once her father died she returned back to okolo-ama leaving her husband behind.
Your white man didn't even mention that because he didn't know how to communicate with the locals in the dialect so he just gather few facts to HURRIEDLY arrange a report or thesis.
If not for Kambasa marrying an ndoki man, the few IBO freemen wouldn't have been free.

They are showing you hardcore evidences with historical exhibits to back it up only for you to be recounting myths and legends.

So, when we finally meet at the International court of Justice, these fables is what you will be regurgitating?

My condolences in advance cheesy cheesy

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by OfoIgbo: 4:57pm On Nov 30, 2021
GreatBoss:

Yeah.
They are all ijaw people.
Ndoki leaders, have met with my boss General Ditari saying they are Ibani-Ijaw people and saying since they share borders with other Ijaws, they want to come with Ijaw Republic.
They brought map of Aminadokiari (Ndoki) land too.
The new Central Ijaw dialect being worked on in preparation for Ijaw Republic will set all things right for all Ijaws.

God our Creator be my witness on all these things..

E be like say meth don reach Bayelsa grin grin

7 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Biafrarep(m): 5:01pm On Nov 30, 2021
ThickSharon123:

No, that's not true. Igbos are liberal, there are two people who hate them only in Nigeria, the Draconian monarchial Hausa and Yoruba, and the land grabbing and ethnic identity cleansing Ijaws. These two are Nigeria's problem grin

Igbos don't want to give you heads way, I'm sure as soon as you're done with the Igbo lands, you'll move to Akwa Ibom and strip them off their identity, then move to Yoruba land and strip them off their identity too.
You people behave like the Fulani so much, I can see the correlation.

It didn't actually start today, foreigners as far back as the 1700's called them "teeth filling cannibals" who lived almost entirely on their boats, terrorising neighboring communities and market people. With violent robbery and murders as their way of life!

They have continued to exhibit such tendencies even till today!!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 5:10pm On Nov 30, 2021
Biafrarep:

It didn't actually start today, foreigners as far back as the 1700's called them "teeth filling cannibals" who lived almost entirely on their boats, terrorising neighboring communities and market people. With violent robbery and murders as their way of life!

They have continued to exhibit such tendencies even till today!!
this is the experience by another explorer again. You are not far from the truth.
1. Experience from John Adam in 1823.

8 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by OfoIgbo: 5:12pm On Nov 30, 2021
SlayerForever:

You see that Brass video it's not talked about enough. I will try to change that fact today.

That Brass language can be understood by every Igbo person

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onVPhIp6soo

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 5:13pm On Nov 30, 2021
Ekealterego:

You are probably right. A section of Eleme people are from Arochukwu. Eleme is a mixture of Ogoni and Arochukwu, that is why they do not accept the Ogoni tag.
As we stated earlier, their old name was "Mbolli" or "Mba Oli". This was what Aros call them and how their name was represented in history books. It is possible that the guy you were talking about is from the Aro side of Eleme.
Igboid, Bkayy, Slayerforever check this invite. It is public so no stress.

The only Eleme/Ogoni person I've ever met was by name Chisom. You can imagine cheesy

3 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 5:14pm On Nov 30, 2021
OfoIgbo:

God bless you for this link. How can we bring this into greater circulation. This is damning evidence.

4 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Igboid: 5:14pm On Nov 30, 2021
Ekealterego:
Igboid, Slayerforever, remember my first theory on Okirika and Wakirike? As in Wa Krike? from the word, "Creek"? Wa creek, "child of the Creek".
This is an appendix from Baikie

Some thing else came to my mind looking at that pic.
There is a community in Ndoki known as Akirika.
Akirika had three parts. Akirika Uku, Akirika nta and Akirika Obu( which Akwaibom was dragging).

Okirika and Akirika sound alike and these places are not too far away from each other.

And yes, the "Wa-creek" hypothesis clicks well.

5 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by OfoIgbo: 5:16pm On Nov 30, 2021
BKayy:

I remember that incidence.
Maybe you should post the video for those that are reading this but didn't know or can't recall.

The Youths were rapping in Igbo while destroying the dudes Palace.

Here it is nnaa

5 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by 9Pluto(m): 5:17pm On Nov 30, 2021
OfoIgbo:

At no point in that snippet did PEPPLE claim he is not Igbo. So your argument falls flat by the way.

At no point was OKOLOMA referred to as Ijaw

Meanwhile, Crowther's account are many decades after a more reliable account from Captain Crow

Ubani and Kalabari have Igbo lineages ruling over those places, so they could be speaking the Ndoki dialect of Igbo around the time that Crowther writing

How come the Bonny numbering system written down by earlier writers showcased core Igbo numbering system?

Not just the numbering system please! The language, culture and tradition. If I am not mistaken Crow wrote the first igbo dictionary at a time when colonialism hasn't started in Africa. As per justice system, he made it know that in Bonny, once your are indebted and cannot pay you automatically become a slave.Most times to igbo chiefs. So I am still wondering where the ijaws were selling igbo slaves came from.

Dude was so informed, he declared that the name Ada was a popular name for igbo girls.

I was laughing when I saw the name Opobo.

Someone wrote Bonny history, he acknowledged both Kings and Natives were igbos.

More than three-quarters of his experience was about igbos and people are trying to claim they were Igbo slaves without evidence.

8 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Igboid: 5:17pm On Nov 30, 2021
Ekealterego:

Okoloma existed before any human dwelled in Bonny. Stop your fables. OKoloma is as old as Ndoki.
Another fable, Tales by the moonlight. Where is this written? We come with fact, you come with myths with no receipts.
See the difference.
Slayerforever, Eastlink (see your Alinsaw Egbema), Newage98, see your Ekpahia (Ekpeye), Bkayy, Igboid.
Let us make reference to a colonial map of Igboland.

You can see Ubani at the bottom

This is impressive.
Ubani (Bonny) was clearly noted as an Igbo clan and territory in that map. Europeans are so meticulous that they even differentiated Idoma from Igede(Omenkalives should like this one).
As small as Igede is, the Europeans still noted the subtle difference between them and Idoma. That's how into details these people were.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Igboid: 5:33pm On Nov 30, 2021
Ekealterego:

Stop lying and bring evidence. If everyone was written as Igbos, how come all the samples of language evidence were separated by Clarke in 1800s
Slayerforever, see the language inside Bonny. Are these not Igbo language? 9pluto.

Interesting.
I'm trying to figure out what "Nematos" for mother in Beretchi (Ichi titled Igbo men aka Nri people) in Bonny means.
The closest I could imagine is that Nematos means "Nnemuo". "My mother o". grin

This work is really well detailed.
All dialects in SE is really represented in Bonny of those days, that's why you have many columns for Ibo there.
The Aro(Aru) and Nri (Bretchi) were however isolated and recorded differently grin
Lol! Both were probably seeing themselves as priestly people of higher standing than other Igbo clans.
But the language remained same.

Good work. The white race is truly a superior race .
Their attention to details is astonishing. I'm here in my office reading this and shaking my head. We truly have a long way to go as black people.
I also noticed the Igbonization of the now extinct Otam( a Cross River group related to the Ogbia, Abua, Odual, Obulom (Abuloma peopt) and the non Ijaw Indigenous people of Brass who are actually a proto Ibibiod group as well) happening right there. So sad for them.
Some of their words were already Igbo there, while some remained Cross River.
Their only legacy today I would like to think remain just the "Nwotam" festival that the Ndoki retained having probably assimilated them.
I guess the rest of Otam people in Akwaibom and Cross River State have also been assimilated by the Ibibios and Efiks.

9 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Igboid: 5:39pm On Nov 30, 2021
Ekealterego:

Stop lying and bring evidence. If everyone was written as Igbos, how come all the samples of language evidence were separated by Clarke in 1800s
Slayerforever, see the language inside Bonny. Are these not Igbo language? 9pluto.

I just noticed that Nkissi, Amitsh and Oss in the list were not listed as Igbo ,but their words are Igbo words. cheesy
Biko any guess on who the Nkissi and Oss were? I'm guessing that Amitsh is Amichi (in Nnewi South of Anambra today).

The group recorded as Fernandian( I guess these ones came from the Island of Fernando Po(Modern day Bioko in Equitorial Guinea) to Bonny. They called man "Bobi" could this be where the Ph slangs "Abobi" for man came from? grin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by 9Pluto(m): 5:40pm On Nov 30, 2021
OfoIgbo:

Are you sure this is Nembe in Bayelsa State or Neni in Anambra State? Please, we would need someone from Nembe or someone who lives in Nembe to confirm if this clip in from Nembe and if those guys are truly Nembe youths.

If it is certified they are Nembe youths, then we seriously need to question who are the Ijaws?

Interesting questions on quora would include?
Who are the ijaws? Their history/origin, when did they first appeared in history, most importantly, what is there language? etc

If those are truly Nembe youths, then recent Nigerian historIans are a disgrace or I daresay we do not have historians in Nigeria.

I can imagine the damages or propaganda that would have been peddled pre-Internet age.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by GreatBoss: 5:42pm On Nov 30, 2021
OfoIgbo:

E be like say meth don reach Bayelsa grin grin

The map the Aminadokiari (Ndoki) leaders brought to the Ijaw Republic Liberation Movement Militant Forces.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Igboid: 5:46pm On Nov 30, 2021
9Pluto:

Are you sure this is Nembe in Bayelsa State or Neni in Anambra State? Please, we would need some from Nembe or someone who lives in Nembe to confirm if this clip in from Nembe and if those guys are truly Nembe youths.

If it is certified they are Nembe youths, then we seriously need to question who are the Ijaws? The history/origin, when the first appeared in history, there language etc

If those are truly Nembe youths, then recent Nigerian historIans are a disgrace or I daresay we do not have historians in Nigeria.

I can imagine the damages or propaganda that would have been peddled pre-Internet age.

It is.
Watch the video to the end.
See where they picked up the picture of the King.

4 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by GreatBoss: 5:46pm On Nov 30, 2021
Igboid, Slayerforever, Bkayy, mancoconut.
Biafrarep, idiko, Pass11, AlexBells, Afonjaheadhunts, all una claims and lies write up made concerning Ijaw Nation end on Nairaland.
Travel there and claim them physical.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Igboid: 5:47pm On Nov 30, 2021
9Pluto:

Are you sure this is Nembe in Bayelsa State or Neni in Anambra State? Please, we would need some from Nembe or someone who lives in Nembe to confirm if this clip in from Nembe and if those guys are truly Nembe youths.

If it is certified they are Nembe youths, then we seriously need to question who are the Ijaws? The history/origin, when the first appeared in history, there language etc

https://www.nairaland.com/6740243/bombshell-shock-trepidation-indigenous-igbos
It is.
Watch the video to the end.
See where they picked up the picture of the King.

9 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by GreatBoss: 5:49pm On Nov 30, 2021
GreatBoss:

The map the Aminadokiari (Ndoki) leaders brought to the Ijaw Republic Liberation Movement Militant Forces.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by ThickSharon123(f): 5:54pm On Nov 30, 2021
SlayerForever:

God bless you for this link. How can we bring this into greater circulation. This is damning evidence.

Even me that's a Ghanaian-Igbo lady, I can hear them perfectly, they speak like my mom from Arochukwu.

6 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by ThickSharon123(f): 6:00pm On Nov 30, 2021
GreatBoss:
Igboid, Slayerforever, Bkayy, mancoconut.
Biafrarep, idiko, Pass11, AlexBells, Afonjaheadhunts, all una claims and lies write up made concerning Ijaw Nation end on Nairaland.
Travel there and claim them physical.

I'm going to do that hopefully this December. I'll like to be neutral and see how it goes.

5 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 6:06pm On Nov 30, 2021
Igboid:

I just noticed that Nkissi, Amitsh and Oss in the list were not listed as Igbo ,but their words are Igbo words. cheesy
Biko any guess on who the Nkissi and Oss were? I'm guessing that Amitsh is Amichi (in Nnewi South of Anambra today).

The group recorded as Fernandian( I guess these ones came from the Island of Fernando Po to Bonny. They called man "Bobi" could this be where the Ph slangs "Abobi" for man came from? grin
You are correct. The book is free on Google books too as I can see.

Here are the excerpts

5 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 6:13pm On Nov 30, 2021
9Pluto:

Are you sure this is Nembe in Bayelsa State or Neni in Anambra State? Please, we would need someone from Nembe or someone who lives in Nembe to confirm if this clip in from Nembe and if those guys are truly Nembe youths.

If it is certified they are Nembe youths, then we seriously need to question who are the Ijaws?

Interesting questions on quora would include?
Who are the ijaws? Their history/origin, when did they first appeared in history, most importantly, what is there language? etc

I think this is Brass. You can then check the king's town.
In the past, Nembe was in Brass, although they are different people. Today, Brass and Nembe are in different LGAs.

To narrow this down, the question will be, what is the name of that town or area.
You may end up in a different linguistic area if you try to explore the whole or two LGAs.

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by 9Pluto(m): 6:17pm On Nov 30, 2021
Ekealterego:

You are correct. The book is free on Google books too as I can see.

Here are the excerpts
Beautiful addition. You deserve the award for some of the most interesting contributions on this thread.

I am curious about the 3 different Ottam groups in that record. Do you know that Nwaotam is also celebrated somewhere in Akwa-ibom? I first saw the mention of Ottam as a group of people in Crow's book which I am not sure any other Nigerian historian has documented. Yet someone has the effontory to try and dismiss his records.

It is unfortunate, the Ottam are hard to identified today. I hope some people don't fabricate a story for them.

Notice that Ndoki is recorded there as Igbo but it is about to be converted to Amunadokiari. Just imagine how many more names have been revised.

8 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by kellyjoesteve: 6:21pm On Nov 30, 2021
They don use facts and evidence flog some people 2by2 here. Now I'm enjoying Nairaland like never before. Please more insight and knowledge to you guys una too much.

14 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (90) (Reply)

Fayose Riding On "Okada" To Inaugurate The New House Of Assembly [Photo] / Victims Killed In Kaduna Crisis (Graphic Photos) / Alleged Attack On President Buhari In Kebbi: Contortionists At Work Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.