Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,511 members, 7,812,584 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:42 PM

The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction - Politics (90) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction (53421 Views)

The True Identity Of Bonny/opobo People: Facts Vs Fiction (VIDEO) / Meet The Opobo People Of Rivers State!!! / Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (87) (88) (89) (90) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by NwekereNdoki: 5:21pm On Sep 04, 2022
Alabo7978:

NO ONE IDENTIFIED AS JO.
it was the name given to us by the Brits.
I am a nembeian LIKE YOU KNOW because we both know you're someone else behind that monicker but let me talk to you like you're not whom we both know you are,
we were called Oru, and we spoke an Oru dialect(s) recorded by baikie, sigismund koelle, and lots of other linguist.

Yes Amayanabo(owner of the community) became a thing for the central and Eastern rulers because our kingdoms BECAME MORE POLITICAL due to the Europeans coming and trading heavily. but prior to that, our leaders or rulers used the "PERE" title in the primitive days because it was MORE SPIRITUAL. Pere means Priest, our western Ijaw brothers still maintain that ancient title and I commend them.

secondly, the white man know nothing about we Africans, they only choose what they want to publish for their very crafty selfish reasons. We all trace our Ancestry from The central delta and every one (child to an old or deceased person) knows/knew this.

Why will they want to twist hostory? to what purpose?

So proffesional people Like BAIKE will not twist history in other places bu only in Bonny or Jo land?
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Alabo7978(m): 9:01am On Sep 06, 2022
NwekereNdoki:

Why will they want to twist hostory? to what purpose?

So proffesional people Like BAIKE will not twist history in other places bu only in Bonny or Jo land?
I just looked your account,, it's just 3weeks old. You and I know we've talked about this before from BEHIND YOUR REAL ACCOUNT.
and FYI,, Baikie in his subsequent publication AFTER MUCH RESEARCH AND TRAVEL came to realise.

The early British explorers applied the curious name “ORU” to the Ijo west of Brass from the Nun entrance to Taylor creek, Dr Baikie said of them in 1854. "From the mouth of the river (NUN) up to this point (TAYLOR CREEK), the country on either side is named ORU. The people are of the same tribe as who inhabit the tract of country up to the Rio Formoso where however they are called EJO or OJO by which name they are known at Abo, at Brass and even Bonny, by English palm oil traders. They are often termed Jo-men. Throughout this district but one language is spoken with but little dialectical difference"

that's baikie up there, try and get all of his works and don't favor pick the earlier ones... ofcourse if you are writing a thesis, you won't go consulting old works, you consult the new and latest because the old ones are usually false and unreliable.

ANYWAYS

Major Arthur Glyn Leonard also listed a number of tribes of the Delta, distinguishing an Oru as well as an Ijo tribe, below are his words..

”The Oru occupy the tract of country on each side of the Nun branch of the Niger and along the coastline between it and the Ramos river. Then in the triangle formed by the Nun and the Gana-Gana, also outside it, to a small extent, both eastward and westward, dwell the Ijo the most important tribe in the lower Delta"

below is sigismund koelle own research report

"The Oru or Ijo or Udso are identical with Brass, at the mouth of the Nun on the coast, otherwise called Hebu or Nempe by their Ibo neighbours. This language is spoken to the extent of 100 miles from the mouth of the Nun, to the boundary of Abo territory: how far inland towards Benin, on the right and towards the Ibo country on the left is yet unknown…”

like I said, look up all of these people work and stop cherry picking.

like I said,,. no real NDOKI person has come to call what I wrote up there fable... they all know the truth, they know their Original language has gone extinct, they know they have the Oru blood which runs in the hollow tracts of their veins.

We want them back and at same time dont want them back, but if they choose to connect again, we will welcome them with open arms.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SosoKaranuli(f): 5:01am On Sep 13, 2022
I'll probably make a seperate thread on this, but why not just classify Ibani as a fluid identity? Ethnicity is a social construct and we identify as Ijaw. At the same time, we shouldn't ignore that our culture is mixed with Igbo. Our.ancestors practiced acculturation, but the Igbo language, genetics, and influence was never lost. This created a blended, creolized culture thats beautiful and should be celebrated in its entirety.

Similar to how douglas in the Caribbean are mixed Black and South Asian, but are still considered a type of Black, I think that's also how we can view Ibani Ijaws.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Parachoko: 5:53am On Sep 13, 2022
Alabo7978:

I just looked your account,, it's just 3weeks old. You and I know we've talked about this before from BEHIND YOUR REAL ACCOUNT.
and FYI,, Baikie in his subsequent publication AFTER MUCH RESEARCH AND TRAVEL came to realise.

The early British explorers applied the curious name “ORU” to the Ijo west of Brass from the Nun entrance to Taylor creek, Dr Baikie said of them in 1854. "From the mouth of the river (NUN) up to this point (TAYLOR CREEK), the country on either side is named ORU. The people are of the same tribe as who inhabit the tract of country up to the Rio Formoso where however they are called EJO or OJO by which name they are known at Abo, at Brass and even Bonny, by English palm oil traders. They are often termed Jo-men. Throughout this district but one language is spoken with but little dialectical difference"

that's baikie up there, try and get all of his works and don't favor pick the earlier ones... ofcourse if you are writing a thesis, you won't go consulting old works, you consult the new and latest because the old ones are usually false and unreliable.

ANYWAYS

Major Arthur Glyn Leonard also listed a number of tribes of the Delta, distinguishing an Oru as well as an Ijo tribe, below are his words..

”The Oru occupy the tract of country on each side of the Nun branch of the Niger and along the coastline between it and the Ramos river. Then in the triangle formed by the Nun and the Gana-Gana, also outside it, to a small extent, both eastward and westward, dwell the Ijo the most important tribe in the lower Delta"

below is sigismund koelle own research report

"The Oru or Ijo or Udso are identical with Brass, at the mouth of the Nun on the coast, otherwise called Hebu or Nempe by their Ibo neighbours. This language is spoken to the extent of 100 miles from the mouth of the Nun, to the boundary of Abo territory: how far inland towards Benin, on the right and towards the Ibo country on the left is yet unknown…”

like I said, look up all of these people work and stop cherry picking.

like I said,,. no real NDOKI person has come to call what I wrote up there fable... they all know the truth, they know their Original language has gone extinct, they know they have the Oru blood which runs in the hollow tracts of their veins.

We want them back and at same time dont want them back, but if they choose to connect again, we will welcome them with open arms.
You're wasting your time arguing with an Igbo man from the South East geopolitical region.

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Kingozymandias(m): 6:28am On Sep 13, 2022
Parachoko:
You're wasting your time arguing with an Igbo man from the South East geopolitical region.
.seun mynd44 oam4j

Rule 2
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Parachoko: 6:37am On Sep 13, 2022
Kingozymandias:
.seun mynd44 oam4j

Rule 2
How did I break rule 2 please?

Nwekere Ndoki is an Igbo man who created his moniker just to dey claim and drag Ijaw land.

Nah people wey dey follow una argue I go blame though.

Bonny and Opobo are both Ijaw lands, they were founded by our people, no inch of those territory as well as other Ibani Ijaw land will be ceded to any other ethnic group.

Know this and have peace of mind.

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Kingozymandias(m): 6:40am On Sep 13, 2022
Parachoko:
How did I break rule 2 please?

Nwekere Ndoki is an Igbo man who created his moniker just to dey claim and drag Ijaw land.

Nah people wey dey follow una argue I go blame though.

Bonny and Opobo are both Ijaw lands, they were founded by our people, no inch of those territory as well as other Ibani Ijaw land will be ceded to any other ethnic group.

Know this and have peace of mind.

You are notoriously insulting their tribe all over the forum . I thought after your last sanction you would have adjusted but it seems I have to help the mods remind you again
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Parachoko: 6:44am On Sep 13, 2022
Kingozymandias:

You are notoriously insulting their tribe all over the forum . I thought after your last sanction you would have adjusted but it seems I have to help the mods remind you again
This is pure gibberish from you!

Abuse Igbos all over the forum, are you drunk or just high on Mkpurumiri this morning?

I have no problem with any ethnic group in Nigeria, but any individual that attack me, I will also attack the person.

Ive only be sanction once on Nairaland for 5 days and it was not because of ethnic bashing.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Kingozymandias(m): 6:46am On Sep 13, 2022
Parachoko:
This is pure gibberish from you!

Abuse Igbos all over the forum, are you drunk or just high on Mkpurumiri this morning?

I have no problem with any ethnic group in Nigeria, but any individual that attack me, I will also attack the person.

Ive only be sanction once on Nairaland for 5 days and it was not because of ethnic bashing.

Rule 2 broken
Seun Mynd4 lalasticlalà mukiŋa2 rocktatioŋ justwisè óam4j nlfpmoɗ
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Alabo7978(m): 12:42pm On Sep 13, 2022
Kingozymandias:

this one you're saying "THEIR"??
guy you're a clown o...
hiding under the shadows with different monickers.

(1) (2) (3) ... (87) (88) (89) (90) (Reply)

'I Don't Believe In One Nigeria'- Tinubu ThisDay 1997 Headline Shared By Kperogi / Updates: APC Presidential Primaries 'Ballot-Box Counting' Thread. / Biafra: Remove Itsekiri Land From Map To Avoid Civil War – Itsekiri Youths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.