Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,465 members, 7,836,838 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:25 PM

The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction - Politics (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction (55253 Views)

The True Identity Of Bonny/opobo People: Facts Vs Fiction (VIDEO) / Meet The Opobo People Of Rivers State!!! / Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (91) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by JANK23H(m): 6:21pm On Dec 01, 2021
SlayerForever:

I like your style. He calls you a liar you shut him up with more facts grin

Meanwhile this brought something back to my mind. It may not be a bad idea to bring forward narrations of Boro's atrocities in Bonny and Opobo during the civil war. Or such narrations may be too controversial?
You are just a jobless clown desperately clawing at nothing.
Bring it up and identify Boro's atrocities in Bonny you dug from your ass and create a thread.

You really need to get a job.... seriously.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 6:32pm On Dec 01, 2021
JANK23H:

You are just a jobless clown desperately clawing at nothing.
Bring it up and identify Boro's atrocities in Bonny you dug from your ass and create a thread.

You really need to get a job.... seriously.

I just came back from work.

About Boro. Boro was guilty of war crimes in Bonny and Opobo during the war as he discovered to his dismay Biafra had high support in both towns and were harbouring Biafran soldiers in action at the coast. He killed whole families on discovery one or two members were Biafra apologists. Burnt down family homes if he saw any Biafra insignia therein.

Boro's actions are well known. But I don't think his actions in Bonny and Opobo have ever been well discussed.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by unbitchable(m): 6:44pm On Dec 01, 2021
Ekealterego:

Bonny and Opobo palace was ransacked during the Nigerian/Biafran war by Adaka Boro and the federal forces. I doubt you will find any of such older than Clarke's collection.

Oh, I wasted my time replying you. You are a well-known enemy of Ndi Igbo.
Na wa o. what have i said that makes me an enemy? chai.
Let me go back to sport section.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by JANK23H(m): 6:44pm On Dec 01, 2021
SlayerForever:

About Boro. Boro was guilty of war crimes in Bonny and Opobo during the war as he discovered to his dismay Biafra had high support in both towns and were harbouring Biafran soldiers in action at the coast. He killed whole families on discovery one or two members were Biafra apologists. Burnt down family homes if he saw any Biafra insignia therein.

Boro's actions are well known. But I don't think his actions in Bonny and Opobo have ever been well discussed.
Tell it to the Marines and your horde of wankers.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 6:45pm On Dec 01, 2021
SlayerForever:

Seems Horton may have been a seasoned anthropologist.

He was the first to propose a self-governed independent nation of the Igbos and also of Akus (Yoruba) to the British crown. This is even before colonisation.

His proposition is that if the British helped these two nations, they will be very great and will be good source of trade and partnership. This was 1868! However, the British decided to go the opposite direction.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by unbitchable(m): 6:46pm On Dec 01, 2021
JANK23H:

A lot of those houses have records of memoirs, diaries, letters and transactions with European traders.Let them go and get those materials,since they are fixated on Bonny.
This was what i meant and someone was calling me an enemy.
i don waka.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 6:52pm On Dec 01, 2021
Alabo7978:

I saw your excerpt buddy, and it is correct in all aspects only except that you understood them to be different entirely.
Please listen carefully I beg you, I want you to read and understand.
Eri himself when he landed didn't form a clan, but he stayed with his children till his death. His children dispersed and formed other tribe that is why you can't see "ERI" as a kingdom or a clan, or a tribe.
Ijo on the other hand had people who came with him and they settled. It was from the settlement his children went their way with a few followers.
Ijo towns were already established.
But it was his children and their various settlement who became more influential and richer.
Didn't you see the excerpt where it said ijo men banded with BRASSMEN?
Like I said, they will ALWAYS be at loggerheads, but when a foreign invasion comes, they band together.
Even the town's the obiama's went to settle especially odioma, had settlers there who were either running away from a juju priest or a king after commiting crimes or either setting up fishing camps. The obiama's settled with them (note) the existing people still had ijo or BRASSMEN blood but were either staying there because of fishing or running from a crime, then the obiama's settled and a town developing forms.
Then when the other established towns fills up, people from other ijoh and brass and other towns will go, from their intermarriage etc and it happened over hundreds of years and was made easy because of the dialect.
That is how ijos(in general) grew.
Though they were minor little waves of migration from benin and warri, but were mingled with them.
That is why all coastal dwellers trace their ORIGIN to ijo.
Even the founder of Obioku (the youngest Nembe speaking kingdom) was one King Wari a son of Ogbodo of bassambiri.
His mother was from odioma.
When the kingdom was formed, people from his father's side as well as his mother's side came to live.
That is how ijos descendants spread.

These long stories are not my concern. I just sent it to you because I wanted to correct your first statement. I have so many other proofs. I just pointed just one example out of the many.

Before me are multiple examples showing Ijohs to be a different group of people but this is none of my interest.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 6:55pm On Dec 01, 2021
Ekealterego:

He was the first to propose a self-governed independent nation of the Igbos and also of Akus (Yoruba) to the British crown. This is even before colonisation.

His proposition is that if the British helped these two nations, they will be very great and will be good source of trade and partnership. This was 1868! However, the British decided to go the opposite direction.

Of course the evil British had other plans.

3 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Igboid: 7:09pm On Dec 01, 2021
SlayerForever:

Adaka Boro and his Ijaw goons from Ghana with his second in Command Owaro atrocities in Bonny and Opobo have gone under the radar for too long.
We need a deep expository research and gathering of eye witness accounts to bring it to limelight again.

It is very vital to our mission on reintegrating Bonny and Opobo back to Izu Umunna.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 7:09pm On Dec 01, 2021
Memoirs of Captain Hugh Crow download link cry
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by SlayerForever: 7:10pm On Dec 01, 2021
Igboid:

Adaka Boro and his Ijaw goons from Ghana with his second in Command Owaro atrocities in Bonny and Opobo have gone under the radar for too long.
We need a deep expository research and gathering of eye witness accounts to bring it to limelight again.

It is very vital to our mission on reintegrating Bonny and Opobo back to Izu Umunna.

Hmm
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by cheruv: 7:29pm On Dec 01, 2021
SaintBishop:
Eleme people call themselves Igbo? shocked shocked the greatest lie ever told grin grin
Another name for them is Mbaọlị/國一
They're neither Igbo nor Ogoni cool

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Igboid: 7:52pm On Dec 01, 2021
cheruv:

Another name for them is Mbaọlị/國一
They're neither Igbo nor Ogoni cool

Their language stayed Ogoniod.
They are not Igbo Biko.
You can't be Igbo if you are not speaking Igbo dialect as mother tongue.

Eleme is a melting point between Igbo (Aro) and Ogoni. But I guess the Ogonis had the greater population which resulted in their language remaining Ogoniod and not becoming Igboid.
The Ogonis in Eleme assimilated the Igbos there.
Eleme is not Igbo. But I guess the assimilation of Igbos made them feel they are now unique from Ogoni.
But what group didn't assimilate others? If we are being honest, Eleme should stay with Ogoni.
Eleme language is intelligible to their Ogoni neighbors.
Ndiigbo cannot be the demons we are fighting, our encroachment into Eleme will not be different from Edo encroachment into Ika.
Not cool at all, I cannot be part of it, Cha Cha!

9 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by OfoIgbo: 7:55pm On Dec 01, 2021
Igboid:

My problem with Ashaka is that he spoke of the Mberenchi marks (Mgburichi marks of the Nri).
These marks are not present in Ashaka area.

Any Igbo town with an Eke, Oye, Afor or Nkwo before Nigeria came into existence, was familiar with the MGBURU-ICHIs.

I can even guarantee you, your granddad must have come across them, but when the Europeans started installing warrant chiefs in Igboland, and forced the then Eze NRI Obalike to break the cultural ties binding Igbo towns to the NRI clan, the MGBURU-ICHI men started disappearing from the Igbo and Igodomigodo consciousness. Thank God Northcote Thomas took pictures of the few that were left then.

Many modern NRI people don't even know of MGBURU-ICHIs

3 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by izac82: 7:56pm On Dec 01, 2021
Very interesting thread. If Bonny and Opobo is Ijaw, why are the Ijaws forcing them to learn a new language entirely alien to the their original tongue. This thread has exposed the reality on ground. By default, Bonny people are supposed to be speaking an Ijoid language, but they are not. mother tongue is the true determinant of a group of people.

7 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by OfoIgbo: 8:00pm On Dec 01, 2021
BKayy:

And Isseke was never under Bini. So the dude confused people there, no doubt.

Equiano was a mere boy when he was kidnapped and even confessed that Benin was only just heard of, around his time.

Little did he know that his town and Benin were submerged in NRI influence, with him mentioning the fact that his dad was an MGBURU-ICHI

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Igboid: 8:03pm On Dec 01, 2021
OfoIgbo:

Any Igbo town with an Eke, Oye, Afor or Nkwo before Nigeria came into existence, was familiar with the MGBURU-ICHIs.

I can even guarantee you, your granddad must have come across them, but when the Europeans started installing warrant chiefs in Igboland, and forced the then Eze NRI Obalike to break the cultural ties binding Igbo towns to the NRI clan, the MGBURU-ICHI men started disappearing from the Igbo and Igodomigodo consciousness. Thank God Northcote Thomas took pictures of the few that were left then.

Yeah.
Nris were very widespread.
In many parts of Igbo land, even in deep Imo and Abia, places you can argue that Nris never held strong influence over, dwarves are still called "Akanshi".

I learnt this was because Nri priests welcomed and trained dwarves all over Igboland who were discriminated against and used them as their Messengers.

So in Igboland, dwarves became synonymous with Nri Messengers.

By the way, I am guessing our ancestors met some dwarve race in this rainforests when they arrived here? grin
I guess we breed with them and slowly replaced them.
Then the dwarve trait was eliminated by natural selection. grin

The Nri and the Umudiokas were responsible for Ichi marks, right?

5 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 8:04pm On Dec 01, 2021
OfoIgbo:

Unfortunately... the only one left around that area celebrated his 100th birthday.
He is from Igbo Ukwu.

This is that of a woman in black and white and the recoloured version brought back to life.

9 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Igboid: 8:08pm On Dec 01, 2021
Ekealterego:

Unfortunately... the only one left around that area celebrated his 100th birthday.
Nna. Igbu Ichi is not for the faint hearted. Shit was too painful.
Not all survive it self.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 8:18pm On Dec 01, 2021
SlayerForever:
Memoirs of Captain Hugh Crow download link cry

You can get most on archives.org.

Also try worldcat.

Google books might hide some.

JSTOR is also a great resource but the problem here is that for some you need institutional subscription or paid subscription.

Here:

https://library.si.edu/digital-library/book/memoirsoflatecap00crow

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 8:21pm On Dec 01, 2021
Igboid:

Nna. Igbu Ichi is not for the faint hearted. Shit was too painful.
Not all survive it self.
I am glad we have some who still lived in our time, otherwise, they would have claimed through propaganda that we didn't own the Igbo Ukwu arts. Some of these marks and living customs helped tie some archeological discoveries to that area. Now, the Igbo Ukwu art confirmed that we have lived in that area way before 900 AD. The features on the art can be seen on us. "living fossils".

Look at that beautiful Igbo woman.

Look at the mask.

Because these things were alive, we can see the evidence of our culture and evolution as a people.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by OfoIgbo: 8:26pm On Dec 01, 2021
BKayy:

Video? When I read the original work.

Oga, the dude literally said that he was born in the Eboe part of Bini kingdom. In other words, he said that the entire Igboland was under Bini. He didn't mince words there.

Such blunder is not acceptable in any serious discussion.
The dude is modern day Caricature.

Cut him some slack. He was just a small boy when he was kidnapped.

As someone who just emerged from slavery, he was trying to attach to what he saw as greatness, and Benin fulfilled that role for him. If he had been up to 20yrs of age before he was kidnapped, he would have been aware of the all-encompassing Nri-Igbo influence over Benin, and his tales would have been more authentic

6 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by OfoIgbo: 8:37pm On Dec 01, 2021
Ekealterego:

He is from Igbo Ukwu.

This is that of a woman in black and white and the recoloured version brought back to life.

There is one in Enugwu-Ukwu at the moment

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 8:39pm On Dec 01, 2021
OfoIgbo:

That's great to hear. Imagine what stories these guys might have, if they remember any..

4 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by OfoIgbo: 9:02pm On Dec 01, 2021
Igboid:

Yeah.
Nris were very widespread.
In many parts of Igbo land, even in deep Imo and Abia, places you can argue that Nris never held strong influence over, dwarves are still called "Akanshi".

I learnt this was because Nri priests welcomed and trained dwarves all over Igboland who were discriminated against and used them as their Messengers.

So in Igboland, dwarves became synonymous with Nri Messengers.

By the way, I am guessing our ancestors met some dwarve race in this rainforests when they arrived here? grin
I guess we breed with them and slowly replaced them.
Then the dwarve trait was eliminated by natural selection. grin

The Nri and the Umudiokas were responsible for Ichi marks, right?

NRI people relied on Adama, Awka and Umudioka to perform certain functions for the NRI hegemony. These clans are not NRI people but have auxillary and critical roles they perform.

Adama are the king makers and are the servants of Eze NRI.

Awka blacksmiths forge the various ritual objects used for NRI divination and title taking.

Umu-di-oka. DiOka basically means the master carver, purely referencing their mastery in ICHI carving. There is a town in Anambra named Umudioka. But there are also a number of villages in various towns that bear that name. In days go e by, they all involved themselves in Ika ICHI.

As priests, NRI people don't touch blood, and as igbu ICHI requires drawing blood, for over a thousand years, Umudioka people performed the carving while NRI priests dedicated the initiate.

The MGBURU-ICHI men always had the reigning Eze NRI as their leader, and most Igbo towns would normally have a few MGBURU-ICHIs. They acted as judges and arbitrators. They pass sentence in civil and criminal cases. They also mediate when towns are at war.

The MGBURU-ICHIs were a major factor in the power the Eze NRI wielded over Igboland and Igodomigodo and Igala lands. They were extremely noble and couldn't be bribed.

There was also the Nze and Ozo society in various towns, initiated by the Nris, but the MGBURU-ICHIs were on a totally different class

5 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Igboid: 9:13pm On Dec 01, 2021
OfoIgbo:

NRI people relied on Adama, Awka and Umudioka to perform certain functions for the NRI hegemony. These clans are not NRI people but have auxillary and critical roles they perform.

Awka blacksmiths forge the various ritual objects used for NRI divination and title taking.

Umu-di-oka. DiOka basically means the master carver, purely referencing their mastery in ICHI carving. There is a town in Anambra named Umudioka. But there are also a number of villages in various towns that bear that name. In days go e by, they all involved themselves in Ika ICHI.

As priests, NRI people don't touch blood, and as igbu ICHI requires drawing blood, for over a thousand years, Umudioka people performed the carving while NRI priests dedicated the initiate.

The MGBURU-ICHI men always had the reigning Eze NRI as their leader, and most Igbo towns would normally have a few MGBURU-ICHIs. They acted as judges and arbitrators. They pass sentence in civil and criminal cases. They also mediate when towns are at war.

The MGBURU-ICHIs were a major factor in the power the Eze NRI wielded over Igboland and Igodomigodo and Igala lands. They were extremely noble and couldn't be bribed.

There was also the Nze and Ozo society in various towns, initiated by the Nris, but the MGBURU-ICHIs were on a totally different class

Yeah.
Umudioka are in Dunukofia LGA . In Ogidi we call them "small India" , because they are into juju too much grin.
I also know of Umudioka Awka.

Mgburichis were known for causing revolts in slave ships and farms and were dreaded by slave masters.

4 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Omanambala(m): 9:23pm On Dec 01, 2021
OfoIgbo:

There are at least about five or more at Umudioka and and environs, still living. My father told me tales about igbu ichi traditions and many people from my town had ichi.

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by OfoIgbo: 9:29pm On Dec 01, 2021
Alabo7978:

Ijoh language isn't even Sierra Leonenean.

They were only migrant fishermen to that side because most of them got lost while doing deep sea fishing.
You daft I swear, even your baikie didn't even link their languages to Sierra Leone but linked it to the niger-congo branch
But foolish goat like you is mentioning Sierra Leone and I wonder why if it isn't meth at work.

You are fighting a loosing battle. No evidence you've shown has stated that Ijaws own Bonny. But all the ancient records we've shown, all testify to the fact that IGBOS own Bonny

For a few days now, you haven't been able to show even one record, specifically backing the Ijaws

6 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by bomb24: 9:38pm On Dec 01, 2021
OfoIgbo:

do u have any documentation/excerpts to back up your claim about Nri hegemony in igodomigodo?
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Putindbutt: 9:41pm On Dec 01, 2021
Biafrarep:

Alagoa is an ethnocentric irredentist who used propaganda and fables to promote ijaw landgrabbing attempts. So, don't waste your time reading his trash, it's unreliable and without substance.

I doubt any reasonable law court will leave documented evidences dating back to 1700's by neutral foreign explorers who had no vested interest only to consider biased reports of a local irredentist championing ethnocentric agenda.
funny you, if a chimamanda Adichie, who was born yesterday could write on the civil war with bias towards biafra and was widely celebrated, how much more an elderly historian with sources from both national and international archives.
The Portuguese account are more reliable than those of the British who arrived at a much later period.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Putindbutt: 9:43pm On Dec 01, 2021
bomb24:

do u have any documentation/excerpts to back up your claim about Nri hegemony in igodomigodo?
Waiting for OfoIgbo with my popcorn.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Shiver99: 9:59pm On Dec 01, 2021
BKayy:

Video? When I read the original work.

Oga, the dude literally said that he was born in the Eboe part of Bini kingdom. In other words, he said that the entire Igboland was under Bini. He didn't mince words there.

Such blunder is not acceptable in any serious discussion.
The dude is modern day Caricature.

Olaudah was just quoting the dominant view of the British at the time.

As he was raised in the west, Olaudah was educated to learn the British perspective on Africa at the time which was purely confined to the Africans they had met on the coasts. The British back then, assumed Benin stretched all the way to Ethiopia.

Olaudah was clearly not convinced about this because he stated that while living in Igboland, noone had ever heard such a thing and life was completely dictated by Igbo/Nri customs.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (91) (Reply)

Photo: When Buhari Finishes With Nepa / Peter Obi's One-Million-Man March In Imo (More Photos, Video) / Ladies Join Topless Protest In Lagos #OurMumuDonDo (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.