Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,519 members, 7,836,977 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:16 PM

The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction - Politics (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction (55267 Views)

The True Identity Of Bonny/opobo People: Facts Vs Fiction (VIDEO) / Meet The Opobo People Of Rivers State!!! / Ndoki, Bonny, Opobo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (91) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by izac82: 1:13am On Dec 02, 2021
oyatz:

Allow your eggs to hatch before counting your chicks.
That's one of the most stupid posts I have ever seen. Even if someone has such a grandiose plan must it be written down for the world to see. Some of our people sha
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Igboid: 1:20am On Dec 02, 2021
Ekealterego:

He was referring to the blacks of the coasts LOL. He differentiated the other blacks from the Hickbaus blacks. LOL. Either ways, it is the swords I wanted to point out

I don't know, but the man is still a racist.
You can tell from his tone.
I don't like racists.

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Igboid: 1:22am On Dec 02, 2021
Ekealterego:

Talking about the blacksmiths. here was the encounter Basden had with the Awka smiths. Although, this is already between 1916-1920.

Good one.
If only they Learnt the process of making the barrels of gun earlier enough, maybe we could have made enough guns to halt the colonials from defeating us.

11 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 1:28am On Dec 02, 2021
CovenHighPriest:

This thread is so rich mehn! Wow kiss
Well. I appreciate the OP for opening up the opportunity for intellectual discourse.
The Europeans for all their faults really did a good job documenting things.
We documented ours through oral history and arts. We lived our arts and told our stories through arts and artefacts.

Here is another example of living our arts.
Compare picture 1 & 3
Compare picture 2 & 4

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Ekealterego: 1:37am On Dec 02, 2021
Igboid:

Good one.
If only they Learnt the process of making the barrels of gun earlier enough, maybe we could have made enough guns to halt the colonials from defeating us.
Honestly, and as you can see from these accounts, we have different main centres where these "industrialisation" were taking place.
blacksmith in Arochukwu Awka and somewhere in Enugu.

Clothing The locations as described by Baikie and then the known Akwete.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by ariesbull: 1:54am On Dec 02, 2021
Putindbutt:

Don't come at me with that twist. He rightly said"of Benin kingdom"

Give me extract where he said that. He said near the great kingdom of benin
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by 9Pluto(m): 2:00am On Dec 02, 2021
Guys, while we really appreciate your great contributions. This is not really an Igbo archeological findings thread. Let us not derail this thread(It is going to be a reference sometime in the future). You can consider creating another one for that purpose. Let people that want to learn about this subject matter be throughly informed while we hope someone would be bold enough to take up the challenge to a live debate and tell us the ijaw version of Bonny history(FACTS not fiction).

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:10am On Dec 02, 2021
Igboid:

Good one.

True!

Just got a newfound respect for Ndigbo after going through the last two pages! shocked

7 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:17am On Dec 02, 2021
Shiver99:
We often use European/western accounts when discussing the coasts of Nigeria, as they extensively traded and interacted with its inhabitants and wrote detailed reports.

However tales of the Igbo hinterland has to be studied with far more care as they were often not first person accounts. Especially when you realise that as far as the late 19th century, most of Igboland was a no-go zone for foreigners.

To illustrate this point, for some time Europeans believed that Aboh was the head of Igboland. It made sense as the Aboh dominated lower delta trade and their coastal neighbours with their war canoes. Their town much larger and significant than anything seen on the coast.

This went unchallenged until natives informed them that there were towns 3 times its size far further in the hinterland with more industry.

Looks like someone forgot to tell Mungo Park!
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:25am On Dec 02, 2021
Malawian:

You notice that even Ishekiri, Urhobo and Benin people sat far away observing and leaning Ijaw history? grin grin I swear those one dey cook jelenje dey wait Ijaw for their land wey Ijaw dey claim.

Hehehehehehe grin grin grin

They're silently observing with keen interest and taking notes! When all is said and done, the Ijaw may find themselves consisting of no more than a couple of LGAs in Bayelsa and Delta!

6 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:53am On Dec 02, 2021
Just imagine what we could have achieved as a people if our capacity and capabilities weren't limited or frustrated by being in Nigeria!

8 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:57am On Dec 02, 2021
Ekealterego:

Talking about the blacksmiths. here was the encounter Basden had with the Awka smiths. Although, this is already between 1916-1920.

Those smiths were the precursors to Igbo inventiveness and technological ingenuity that lasts and has endured even till today!

6 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by PROUDIGBO(m): 3:08am On Dec 02, 2021
Ekealterego:

He was the first to propose a self-governed independent nation of the Igbos and also of Akus (Yoruba) to the British crown. This is even before colonisation.

His proposition is that if the British helped these two nations, they will be very great and will be good source of trade and partnership. This was 1868! However, the British decided to go the opposite direction.

If only Queen Victoria could have foreseen the misery and bloodshed the path her gov't finally took would cause millions of people centuries later!

So the Yoruba were called Aku then?

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by PROUDIGBO(m): 3:22am On Dec 02, 2021
Ekealterego:

Unfortunately... the only one left around that area celebrated his 100th birthday.
He is from Igbo Ukwu.

This is that of a woman in black and white and the recoloured version brought back to life.

The pic of the Lady, you know when it was taken? The recoloured version looks so recent, and her clothing well tailored!

2 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by PROUDIGBO(m): 3:28am On Dec 02, 2021
Ekealterego:

That's great to hear. Imagine what stories these guys might have, if they remember any..

This is where Ohaneze needs to be active in helping to achive and document Igbo traditions and culture! They need to send a team down to visit the gentleman ASAP, to record his stories for posterity!

2 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Fejoku: 3:49am On Dec 02, 2021
Ekealterego:

I thought Ututu is in Arochukwu LGA. is there another Ututu?

Not to derail or anything, you could still see Igbo communities in the heart of Cross Rivers. Not even at the border o with Aro r at the intersection of Akwa-Ibom.

From the naming style, it is probably an offshoot of Arochukwu or Abam or Ohafia people but mostly the first two. Most of their settlements come as Nde/Ndi/Ndu/Ndo

See another one on the border with Cameroon. Its called Etiti Ulo? LOL

I wonder what these people speak today. If they do not speak Igbo then of course they are lost. LOL
CC Bkayy, Slayerforever, Igboid, Fejoku
The names< Igbofia, Nde Aliche, Nde Akwara, IfuNkpa (Nkpas or Mkpas are in Bende), Akamkpa, Ndiro, Orimini-Mba
Topic for another thread.
I've always wondered about that Ndealiche. I've been studying Cross Rivers languages and some settlements but nothing came up for that community. I'll intensify more effort.
Didn't know about Igbofia.

4 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Fejoku: 4:17am On Dec 02, 2021
Ekealterego:

Probably the earliest collection of the language by Clarke 1841-5
You can see Bonny names for Man, Woman, etc..
Which Igbo group could be on number 137? I think it should be from the Ika area. That name for father sounds closest to what they call father which is 'Nadim'.

1 Like

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Idiko1: 4:31am On Dec 02, 2021
Igboid:

According to Eleme Wikipedia page. The full name was "Mbaolli iche" meaning a single special country.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleme_people

Eleme are basically Ogoni people who mixed with Aros and lost their Ogoni flavor and now don't consider themselves Igbo(Aro) or Ogoni, but want to be independent.
Their saving grace is that they retained their original Ogoni language.
If they were Igboid speaking, we would be wanting them to reconnect to us through Aros.

The Aro influence on Eleme is retained in Igbo names some of them of Aro origin bear till this day.
Look at the names of Eleme important personalities on Wikipedia.
See Dimkpa and other Igbo names there.

Eleme has never and will not be Ogoni. Mbaoli, Mbanabu, Mbanator Mbano, Mbaise, Mbanasa and Mbaitoli are very relative to one ethnicity in Nigeria.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Idiko1: 5:17am On Dec 02, 2021
JANK23H:

The other person said Ikiri means animal.There is no correlation here, especially with that of Bonny/Opobo Ijaw.

You represent the classless. There are places with names such as Amagu, Amaodum and Amawo in Igboland. In each case, Agu, Odum and Awo are animals. During the days in discuss, men usually take nicknames after certain creatures such as animals.

5 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Idiko1: 5:24am On Dec 02, 2021
Putindbutt:
Jaja was himself a slave, made a foreman by his master. He acquired considerable wealth and rebelled against Bonny. He was however defeated and expelled. The two groups of slaves in Bonny were ibos and ibibios. That Bonny spoke Pidgin or broken ibo testified to the large number of ibos there. Other nearby Bonny villages continued to speak ibani and do not speak Pidgin ibo to this day.

The bolded is a statement out of idiotic stream of thought. Ijaw were neither slave raiders nor middlemen. The Ijaw were, at best, ship hands and porters. Sometime pirates on canoes among the creeks.

7 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by Idiko1: 5:28am On Dec 02, 2021
SlayerForever:

Anytime I talk about Ijaw I mean Bayelsa and Delta. T[b]here are no Ijaws in Rivers. [/b]

Ama is common in Delta as town name.

Anyone in Rivers State is a patented tenant.

5 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by oyatz(m): 6:05am On Dec 02, 2021
OfoIgbo:

But the Pepples were of Igbo ancestry. Thankfully both Captain Crow and Dr. Baikie confirmed this fact. Of course, Crowther in his true Yoruba form, possibly chose to hide this fact. Unfortunately, neutral Europeans, in their earlier records, did make it clear that the ruling families of both New Calabar and Ubani, were of Igbo ancestry.

Another fact being that Captain Crow's memoirs' compilation really started in 1790, which is many decades before Crowther was born.

What this means is that Crow's memoirs will always be a superior source of information with regards to the true origins of Bonny

You are making two big mistakes;

1) Ancestries doesn't necessarily mean the current ethnic identity. For instance, Barack Obama has a Kenyan ancenstry but this doesn't mean he is a Kenyan.
The ruling saxe-coburg-gota (Windsor) royal family of Britain has a German ancestry but this doesn't mean the family is not a British family but a German family.

2) The ancestries of the king may not necessarily mean the ethnic Identity of the town e.g The Ruling Bourbon royal family of Spain has a French ancenstry but this doesn't mean that Spain is now part of France.
The Obi of Onitsha has Bini ancestry but Onitsha is not a Bini Town.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by GreatBoss: 7:02am On Dec 02, 2021
Idiko1:

The bolded is a statement out of idiotic stream of thought. Ijaw were neither slave raiders nor middlemen. The Ijaw were, at best, ship hands and porters. Sometime pirates on canoes among the creeks.

Nairaland is not Bonny and Opobo go there and meet the people.
You guys online frustrations from now till forever changed nothing.
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by JANK23H(m): 7:04am On Dec 02, 2021
Malawian:

You said you traded with the Portuguese, please this is a very serious question, what exactly were you selling to the Portuguese?

First shot:
http://revealinghistories.org.uk/africa-the-arrival-of-europeans-and-the-transatlantic-slave-trade/articles/trade-between-europe-and-africa.html

Second shot:
A Comparative Study of Thirty City-state Cultures: An Investigation

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by cheruv: 7:53am On Dec 02, 2021
Biafrarep:

They are showing you hardcore evidences with historical exhibits to back it up only for you to be recounting myths and legends.

So, when we finally meet at the International court of Justice, these fables is what you will be regurgitating?

My condolences in advance cheesy cheesy
Why take them to ICJ when our generals are itching to do battle? angry
Using coordinated moves and tactical manoeuvres, armies of our Southern command can easily detach the Okirika, Ụbanị and Opobo territories... And if they remain recalcitrant, troops of the Western command would launch a full scale invasion of the Izon homeland in Bayelsa and Delta states cool

4 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by cheruv: 8:00am On Dec 02, 2021
Igboid:

Some thing else came to my mind looking at that pic.
There is a community in Ndoki known as Akirika.
Akirika had three parts. Akirika Uku, Akirika nta and Akirika Obu( which Akwaibom was dragging).

Okirika and Akirika sound alike and these places are not too far away from each other.

And yes, the "Wa-creek" hypothesis clicks well.
Actually,
Akịrịka is the way Igbos of the Imo river area pronounce Okirika.
For Ndọkị, Ngwa and Eche tribes, Akịrịka is the same as Okirika. Another example is Ọzara, which in these areas is called Azara

2 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by cheruv: 8:07am On Dec 02, 2021
Ekealterego:

You are correct. The book is free on Google books too as I can see.

Here are the excerpts
Which book is this? I mean name
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by cheruv: 8:14am On Dec 02, 2021
SlayerForever:

ccAlabo7978

Can you see that the language of New Calabar (Kalabari) was Igbo. Kalabari were earlier Igbo speaking. Same as Nembe Brass.

I hear Kalabari's language is still very Igbonized today. But I don't know how true.

Maybe I should mention some old Kalabari members
Kalaɓarị was called Bọm by the Igbos then... And even till now their language is heavily Igbonized, especially with the Igbo of the ikwerre and oratta varieties

5 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by cheruv: 8:24am On Dec 02, 2021
SlayerForever:

Did you say Itam!

If you're talking about Itam I know one or two about Itam! Itam today is a general name by Efiks used to refer to non Ibibio tribes in Northern and Central Cross River. If Itam and Otam were the same then in finding them look no further than Northern/Central Cross River state!

One of the tribes there would be the Itam/Otam as recorded.
Exactly...
When I worked in Calabar i heard that Ịtam stuff alot... And when i asked, i was told that it was the Efik name for the non Efik tribes of Cross River State.
I think that Ọtam might be the Igbo(Arọ precisely) pronunciation

5 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by cheruv: 8:27am On Dec 02, 2021
Putindbutt:

Equiano famously known as Gustavus Vassa has his origin very much in contention. Y'all always pick controversial battles.
I read somewhere where some Yorubas were claiming him to be a Yoruba...
Is he truly Yoruba?
Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by OfoIgbo: 8:32am On Dec 02, 2021
oyatz:

You are making two big mistakes;

1) Ancestries doesn't necessarily mean the current ethnic identity. For instance, Barack Obama has a Kenyan ancenstry but this doesn't mean he is a Kenyan.
The ruling saxe-coburg-gota (Windsor) royal family of Britain has a German ancestry but this doesn't mean the family is not a British family but a German family.

2) The ancestries of the king may not necessarily mean the ethnic Identity of the town e.g The Ruling Bourbon royal family of Spain has a French ancenstry but this doesn't mean that Spain is now part of France.
The Obi of Onitsha has Bini ancestry but Onitsha is not a Bini Town.

But Ubani and Opobo people speak Igbo as their first language, and are only forces to learn Ibani as a distant second language.

So if their ruling families are of Igbo ancestry and their first language is Igbo, then to all intents and purposes, Ubani and Opobo are Igbo territories.

8 Likes

Re: The True Identity Of Bonny/Opobo People Facts Versus Fiction by JANK23H(m): 8:35am On Dec 02, 2021
OfoIgbo:

But Ubani and Opobo people speak Igbo as their first language, and are only forces to learn Ibani as a distant second language.

So if their ruling families are of Igbo ancestry and their first language is Igbo, then to all intents and purposes, Ubani and Opobo are Igbo territories.

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (91) (Reply)

Osinbajo: We Lost The New Nigeria Battle, Not The War / Obasanjo Donates A Chimpanzee ‘Patience’ To A Zoo / Army Deploys Armored Tanks To The South-East. Photos/video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.