Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,164 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:53 AM

Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint (27488 Views)

3,500 Years Ago, Stone Pillar Was Abandoned During Construction In Egypt(Pics) / Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) / Third Mainland Bridge In Lagos - An Expansion Joint (no Danger Famz) (video ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by manunitedbabes: 7:23am On Nov 29, 2021
grin shocked
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Klin1(m): 7:23am On Nov 29, 2021
This look obviously more like an expansion joint as rightly mentioned by some construction professional colleagues above. The only worry for is that, the column should have been two arrange side by side along the expansion joint with the beams resting separately on each side of the joint.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Dirkcoyt: 7:24am On Nov 29, 2021
.the problem with Nigerians is half education! Everyone just think they know it when they don’t ! Independent structural engineers have stated on this page countless of times that it’s an expansion joint but some people just want to accept a foolish narrative if it’s a crack! It’s like some people just wants some fool to happen and some people just have this inferior mentality about the local engineers in Nigeria! It’s time for local engineers to start defunding themselves before these type of Nigerians take their job away from them!

We do this half baked education ignorance in every facet of our life! We do it in the medical world ! Do it in architectural world ! Do it in the security world ! Do it in the IT world ! We just want to assume we know when we don’t know cause we think we have some half education! Or saw something on google!

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by GreenArrow1(m): 7:25am On Nov 29, 2021
AfroKnight:

Lol. You didn’t zoom into the picture. If you did you wouldn’t say this. You would see the second set of columns are just like the first.

Why has the crack stayed within a limit of about 25mm? [b]There are better ways to cover a joint but someone decided to screed this joint and paint over it. [/b]That screeded part must crack. Cement/mortar/screed paint isn’t an elastomeric material. You can’t use any of those to conceal expansion joints.

Took the words out of my mouth (hands). Just a case of poor finishing. As far as the structural members in that column can safely transmit loads to the ground within the limits of the factor of safety, all is well.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by IjebuWarrior: 7:25am On Nov 29, 2021
BigJovi:
ghenghen

Ghenghen pressing... grin
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by ollybasa: 7:26am On Nov 29, 2021
AfroKnight:

It was designed to look like a single column. Rounded on one face and flat at the joint.

Those are two columns.

Besides, why would you think the beams and floor have expansion joints but not the column in a building? What then will be the purpose of the expansion joint?
this is an expansion joint, u can see clearly from the suspended slab ot it.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Onowu1979: 7:26am On Nov 29, 2021
kingjoe:
From an expert,
It is a crack ,but non structural crack .in this case as a result of an expansion joint.also called surface cracks.

What is an expansion joint.?
An expansion joint is usually located between two columns or beams in a building ,brigde or similar infrastructure to accommodate effect of temperature change in building or bridges of certain lengths.
In buildings .when they are 20metres and above lengthwise.there is an effect of heat on the building that makes it expand albeit little.so in order to accommodate the expansion and contractions. A little space is created between two columns or beams .this space is enough to accommodate any change from expansion.
Things like plywood etc are placed within the space and the outer surface rendered together with the columns.
At times to show it is not bonded,a crack may appear on the surface where the expansion joint was positioned.

Thank you man and loud it too in capital letters. Again if you paint over an expansion joint which is supposedly a breather for a column / columns what would you expect? In this case I find it 95 % hard to believe there is an expansion joint within that pillar.
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by AfonjaConehead: 7:27am On Nov 29, 2021
4K Sht! Thats no 4kN expansion joint!
Expansion joints are well laid,well constructed..that's a bloody crack..

1 Like

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by AfroKnight: 7:27am On Nov 29, 2021
ollybasa:
this is an expansion joint, u can see clearly from the suspended slab ot it.

Help me tell them o. They are still arguing with me. I don tire.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by funshint(m): 7:28am On Nov 29, 2021
Even if it's an expansion joint, this is not looking good at all! shocked
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by lordmeks: 7:30am On Nov 29, 2021
This is an expansion joint though not properly dressed. There is no problem with that pillar
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by ollybasa: 7:30am On Nov 29, 2021
Klin1:
This look obviously more like an expansion joint as rightly mentioned by some construction professional colleagues above. The only worry for is that, the column should have been two arrange side by side along the expansion joint with the beams resting separately on each side of the joint.
the floor beneath has explained(slab) it is expansion joint, that is a separated columns.
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by AfroKnight: 7:31am On Nov 29, 2021
Onowu1979:

No time to join issues with you. I made my points with engineering facts, counter it with same and refrain from your Russian relay (going in circles). You've not been insulted, i have a very packed mouth trust me, please do not insult me.

You are the one insulting yourself.

You should be able to tell us what the crack pattern says about this “failure”.

See, columns can take any shape the designer likes. If they wanted it to look like halved cylinders backing each other in pairs, no problem. This was probably designed this way because other single columns are round. It’s just for visual continuity.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by brandsoncharlie: 7:32am On Nov 29, 2021
Charmingrascal:
I was expecting the rebuttal after all

That thing is a crack

Below are expansion joints
You're blessed already. This is very clear for who want to understand.
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by awakeuche(m): 7:32am On Nov 29, 2021
This is a serious crack, expansion joint my ass
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Valuc: 7:32am On Nov 29, 2021
Nigerians with their defense mechanism...
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by mobimuc9ja(m): 7:36am On Nov 29, 2021
I'll come and check it myself.
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Tzar(m): 7:38am On Nov 29, 2021
I think Babalakin has employed an army to refute this claim! He has an antecedent of silencing any opposition at all cost.
Now I am scared of what may happen to that structure.
Hopefully they will expend the energy they use to refute the claim to fix the issue…. whether it is aesthetic or structural, FIX IT!!!
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by InvertedHammer: 7:38am On Nov 29, 2021
/
It could be an expansion joint...

But poorly designed and finished.

I expected more from BiCourtney. Come on!

/
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by emae009(m): 7:40am On Nov 29, 2021
AfroKnight:

Lol. You didn’t zoom into the picture. If you did you wouldn’t say this. You would see the second set of columns are just like the first.

Why has the crack stayed within a limit of about 25mm? There are better ways to cover a joint but someone decided to screed this joint and paint over it. That screeded part must crack. Cement/mortar/screed paint isn’t an elastomeric material. You can’t use any of those to conceal expansion joints.

we are saying the same thing. Like I say you can denote the expansion joint from the second column in the photo but what we're seeing on the first column is a crack not the expansion joint. Doesn't mean the joint isn't there but what's visible is a crack
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by frog12: 7:41am On Nov 29, 2021
dem dey lie
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by phemmyajib(m): 7:42am On Nov 29, 2021
It’s not a single column but an expansion joint. Though there are minor cracks on slab panels and a lot of patch repair works have been done.
You will also see water seeping through the structural members.

I think they have so much patches on the slab because they don’t have adequate cover.

But I think the structure is okay because I have been there a lot of times
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Alaganature09(m): 7:43am On Nov 29, 2021
So this man who came up with this news went to the airport to find crack pillars upanda..well nice information...I pray they repair it on time before it gets too late...
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Nobody: 7:50am On Nov 29, 2021
SportsHD:
I talk am
Na so e be
We are f**cked in this country
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by pickatyouu: 7:51am On Nov 29, 2021
shortgun:

I think we will have a bigger problem in this country in years to come that will dwarf corruption and mismanagement of resources.... ignorance will be that big problem

You are d second person quoting me on this.
If una no fit get sarcasm, make una no dey quote me. Upgrade una sense of humour
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by alizma: 7:53am On Nov 29, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

For the beams, I understand but expansion joints within a single column?
Damn.
That is no expansion joint and I pity those who believe this fvckery.
Just look at how you and your likes are exposing yourselves. You agreed with the beams but disagreed with the pillers, who place two different beams on a Piller carrying the same floor?
Looking at the beams and the floor are enough to convinced you but you won't see that because you are out to criticize destructively. The problem here is the finishing job. Look at other pictures that people post. You will notice the middle of the pillers as well as the floor are covered
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by dingbang(m): 7:53am On Nov 29, 2021
Nigerians will never believe until you plaster that thing so it will not show.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Ucheamani(m): 7:53am On Nov 29, 2021
PLEASE TAKE A CLOSER LOOK.
It's obviously an expansion joint judging by the slabs above and beneath it. Do not mind the round shape.

What's causing the confusion is that they screeded the 2 columns and painted them to look like one. What appears to be a crack is the surface plaster (motar) which cracked during expansion because its inelastic.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Reference(m): 7:57am On Nov 29, 2021
Informed people have observed this but in the light of recent high profile engineering failure both at home and abroad one can understand the concern.

I think owners of these structures like BI- Courtney should step in and address these components properly because that is not the right treatment and finishing of an expansion joint and is quite frankly unsightly, unsettling and does not inspire confidence.

It is a public space, a commercial space. Ordinary people have the right to be alarmed though there is no engineering reason for that.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by streetsoldier1(m): 7:58am On Nov 29, 2021
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Reference(m): 8:00am On Nov 29, 2021
streetsoldier1:

we did Physics in school and basic engineering, that is not expansion joint. Why is it so difficult to thank the guy that raised the alarm and then fix the crack

Oga, sit down. That is an expansion joint and there is nothing to dispute there.
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by switosman(m): 8:00am On Nov 29, 2021
See how people criticize the guys that are right while they are in the wrong. people with no engineering knowledge correcting people with such knowledge. even common sense can help you understand the picture. You see two beams together with a padding inbetween and such padding also on the floor, expect such padding on the pillars, simple.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

His Crazy Experience With A Man He Travelled With To Abuja / Pictures From The Lagos-Ibadan Train / Accident In Lekki Kills 2, Injures Another 2 (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.