Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,225 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:50 AM

Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint (27444 Views)

3,500 Years Ago, Stone Pillar Was Abandoned During Construction In Egypt(Pics) / Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) / Third Mainland Bridge In Lagos - An Expansion Joint (no Danger Famz) (video ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by AntiBuhari(m): 8:01am On Nov 29, 2021
Nigeria expansion joint dey dey different till it falls on someone’s head lol
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by KaluwisxPRO: 8:01am On Nov 29, 2021
You can clearly see the cracks on the pillar is not on the expansion joint. It is slightly out of the way from the joint, so it’s a crack.
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Jonegonu: 8:07am On Nov 29, 2021
Charmingrascal:
I was expecting the rebuttal after all

That thing is a crack

Below are expansion joints
what is different from that picture and yours

1 Like

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Nobody: 8:08am On Nov 29, 2021
mannasseh:
Engineers in the house come and explain better

Good morning.

That is supposed to be an expansion joint, and it lines up with the ones on the beams and slabs.
It would make no sense to erect solid columns on an expansion joints of a beams or a slabs.
That would be counterproductive as it will be a complete construction failure in any structure.

My best take is that, someone decided to cover that joint with mortar instead of using removable flaps like you see them in the other pictures

The Management of Bi-Courtney would have to share the structural drawing of the foundation pillars to the public, in attempts to restore public confidence. This will assure the public that there wasn't an error at the construction phase.

NSE and LASG should investigate this to know if the 'expansion joint' has cracked grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Osyxcel(m): 8:10am On Nov 29, 2021
I'm not an engineer, but I can tell it's a crack along an expansion joint simply because an inelastic material was used to fill the joints. You can see that the "cracks" are not wider than the expansion joint on the slabs and concrete beneath the columns.

I remember a time JB filled the expansion joints on long bridge with tar and in less 3 months, there were openings on the expansion joints and they had to return to the bridge to work on the expansion joints again.

A structural crack will most likely be diagonal, rather than vertical.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Kinterez(m): 8:11am On Nov 29, 2021
Stupid response expansion joints don't roll down irregularly, they are mainly found in beams or HB Steels not on concrete columns...theists government won't seize to amaze me
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by zadokchidi: 8:13am On Nov 29, 2021
Expansion joint on a round columns .. expansion joint zeg Zig
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by newinventions: 8:17am On Nov 29, 2021
I will register your limited liability company in the UK within 3 days without any down payment.

A lot of people don't know they can own a company in the UK and operate from Nigeria. You can also use the company to do business here.

Check my thread on company registration in UK to find out more information.
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by house10s: 8:18am On Nov 29, 2021
which kind expansion joint b looking like crack.

let d mumu chk online for pictures of actual expansion
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by zedman1(m): 8:25am On Nov 29, 2021
I hardly use curse words on Social media but the level at which Nigerians act so stup.idly while following the crowd on SM is so annoying. Why on earth should an expansion joint be a thing of concern to have warranted these stu.pid reactions? No matter how hard you try to explain to them when they're wrong, they'll just stick to the crowd and continue basking in their collective fo.olishness, that's what annoys me the most. You don't know something, shut up and learn. On social media everybody is a doctor, journalist, politician, engineer, etc. This one concerns my profession and I've read a lot of stu.pid reactions about this particular topic. I will not read or respond to any qoute about this topic again because the herd mentality 'disease' of most Nigerians is incurable.
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by StreetPreacher: 8:27am On Nov 29, 2021
If those are truly expansion gaps, the contractor should be sanctioned.
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by EmmaLege: 8:31am On Nov 29, 2021
see wetin dem call expansion joint cry cry cry
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by ImDStar: 8:42am On Nov 29, 2021
Are you an Engineer?

You will believe it if whiteman had told you that, isn't it?

NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

For the beams, I understand but expansion joints within a single column?
Damn.
That is no expansion joint and I pity those who believe this fvckery.
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by drealcivilceno(m): 8:43am On Nov 29, 2021
Charmingrascal:
I was expecting the rebuttal after all

That thing is a crack

Below are expansion joints

Like say we no get civil engineers for this country!
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by adonaimart(m): 8:50am On Nov 29, 2021
OK ooo

Remember, the internet doesn't forget!!
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by DreamSonInlaw(m): 8:53am On Nov 29, 2021
Why na for only naija buildings dey breathe?
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Jacksparrow7(m): 8:59am On Nov 29, 2021
So hard concrete dey expand, wow. Abeg where that bomber were bomb BOKO CAMP, let do test landing and see
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by kuntash: 9:03am On Nov 29, 2021
AfroKnight:

It was designed to look like a single column. Rounded on one face and flat at the joint.

Those are two columns.

Besides, why would you think the beams and floor have expansion joints but not the column in a building? What then will be the purpose of the expansion joint?

Edit:
When maintaining buildings, please call professionals. Someone decided to make the columns look more aesthetically pleasing (in their own eyes, anyway) and proceeded to fill the joint so that they can paint it to look like one single column. See what they have caused?

If you cover an expansion with mortar/pop screed or whatever inelastic material, it will crack. It doesn’t mean the columns are distressed.

You kinda made sense bro !
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by McBenedict(f): 9:08am On Nov 29, 2021
i may be forced to believe, but nay.
this is not an expansion joint.
an expansion joint is meant ot have a slight opening in between or a thin strip of metal/wood can be inserted inside it depending on the kind of structure.
but in this case, it is just like a casted column with o expansion.
i Know vividly that over there in the western regions, you can have an expansion joint and it will not be noticeable depending on the design but this is definitely not an expansion joint.
pls don't be deceived and tread with caution if you always go towards that axis.
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by obailala(m): 9:09am On Nov 29, 2021
Given the clearly visible gap on the floor, I believe this is definitely an expansion joint, but what I dont understand is why they should plaster up and paint the pillars all round. Why not use an elastic substance or even just leave the gap open?

With a little expansion over time, the partition on the pillars now clearly look like cracks and you cant blame anyone for being worried.

@Civil Engineers, are expansion joints meant to be plastered and painted?
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Boyewu: 9:10am On Nov 29, 2021
This picture shows expansion joint. If you look at it clearly, there is expansion joint on the floor which may be covered with bitumen or other elastic materials. But the column looks like grouted with mortar, POP material or non elastic materials. Any building of this massive floor size needs expansion joint. If you have expansion on the floor and beams definitely columns on the same grid line must have expansion joint
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Damn.
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by obailala(m): 9:11am On Nov 29, 2021
McBenedict:
i may be forced to believe, but nay.
this is not an expansion joint.
an expansion joint is meant ot have a slight opening in between or a thin strip of metal/wood can be inserted inside it depending on the kind of structure.
but in this case, it is just like a casted column with o expansion.
i Know vividly that over there in the western regions, you can have an expansion joint and it will not be noticeable depending on the design but this is definitely not an expansion joint.
pls don't be deceived and tread with caution if you always go towards that axis.
Look at the floor, you will see the position of the gap as it passes inbetween the pillars. What I dont understand though is why they tried to plaster seal the gap on the pillars and also paint them.
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Gerundphrase: 9:18am On Nov 29, 2021
That is a fucking expansion joint.

I haven't been there but here is what happened

The original joint was covered with plaster and paint applied. For the fact that you are seeing the crack shows that the expansion joint is actually doing it work by expanding therefore cracking the uneven thin layer of plaster.

In addition, if you watch closely, the supposed crack is symmetrical across the pillars, the beams and the floor.......think for yourself
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by juniorstar(m): 9:19am On Nov 29, 2021
Biodun556:
.https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/497861-bi-courtney-dismisses-concern-over-cracked-pillars-at-lagos-airport.html
When the thing neva happen dem go dey blow grammar up and down..so after the crack breathe finish will it close the crack..if anything happens that man should be held responsible.
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Charmingrascal(m): 9:22am On Nov 29, 2021
Jonegonu:
what is different from that picture and yours

Wear your glasses and look again.
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Nobody: 9:28am On Nov 29, 2021
Is it not this same owner of bi-courtney that is under trial for corruption for diverting funds meant for FG road construction?This is the same company that is awarded contract to build airport car park.SMH
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Nobody: 9:31am On Nov 29, 2021
StayMotivated:
The particular airport terminal was built by CECC. It's a Chinese Engineering Company
You said CECC built the airport terminal.Why is bi-courtney interfering with what it didn't build?
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by hansomb: 9:39am On Nov 29, 2021
It's a Natural expansion joint to allow the building to breath, hmmm . Only in Nigeria non living things turns to living things. Same way someone just woke up one day and said God showed him vision in his dream to build the tallest building in Nigeria. We all know how that one ended.
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Biodun556(m): 9:54am On Nov 29, 2021
juniorstar:

When the thing neva happen dem go dey blow grammar up and down..so after the crack breathe finish will it close the crack..if anything happens that man should be held responsible.

It is joint expansion not crack.
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by juniorstar(m): 9:56am On Nov 29, 2021
Biodun556:

It is joint expansion not crack.
Its ok
Re: Lagos Airport "Cracked Pillar": Bi-Courtney Reacts, Calls It An Expansion Joint by Biodun556(m): 9:58am On Nov 29, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Damn.

It is expansion Joint please, the column is made up of two semi circle pillars

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Historic Buildings And Structures In Nigeria / Remodeled Enugu Airport In Pictures / The Danfo Wreckage From The Trailer That Fell From Ojuelegba Bridge (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.