Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,057 members, 7,818,173 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:27 AM

Three Reasons Why Messi Shouldn't Have Won The Ballon Dor Award (Opinion) - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Three Reasons Why Messi Shouldn't Have Won The Ballon Dor Award (Opinion) (29078 Views)

Ronaldinho: Okocha Made Football Listen To Him, He Shouldn't Have Gone To Bolton / Guardiola Was Seen Coaching Raheem Sterling After Man City Have Won The FA Cup / Ahmed Musa & IG User Who Said He Shouldn't Have Sang A Christian Song As Muslim (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Three Reasons Why Messi Shouldn't Have Won The Ballon Dor Award (Opinion) by DareyFortified: 9:27pm On Nov 30, 2021
TruthSocial:
Here's my opinion.

Messi fans around the world believe that winning the Copa America, Copa de Rey, highest goal scorer in Copa America, highest chances created in the league is enough to win the balon d or, but yet they agree lewandoski should have won the award in 2020, if Lewandoski is so qualified to win in 2020 just because he won the bundelisga and was highest goal scorer in the league, why is he not so qualified to win it in 2021. If as a Messi fan your argument is Messi won because of his performances for Argentina in the Copa America, then anyone from the Italian squad that won the uefa euro cup should have won the balon d or too, Messi should win the best player in Copa America not the best in the world this time ,I remember how he won it in 2011 when Wesley sneidjer was the clear winner of that trophy that year.

In 2020 Lewandoski did not just win the league, he won every trophies available including the champions league and there was no international tournament that year. So yes we believe he deserve to win it.

But this year however there is an international tournament, but he only won the league and golden boot, something Messi did the year modric won the ballon d'Or.

So if Messi despite winning the league and the golden boot failed to win a ballon d'Or because modric carried croatia to the Final of euros and winning the best player of the tournament. Messi deserves to it also.

Did you get it now? Abi you still want to be foolish?

3 Likes

Re: Three Reasons Why Messi Shouldn't Have Won The Ballon Dor Award (Opinion) by Kingcalls: 9:31pm On Nov 30, 2021
FlipModeSquade:
What is logical about using 2020 performance?

To award a 2021 trophy..

MR Logic.. grin

Lewandowski has been the best for the past 2 seasons.... balon dor has lost its credibility
Re: Three Reasons Why Messi Shouldn't Have Won The Ballon Dor Award (Opinion) by kingsman66(m): 9:31pm On Nov 30, 2021
Yhungsarm:
Messi fans are not truthful at all. Saying Messi deserves the award ahead of Lewandoski is just pure rubbish and i will give you three pure reasons why messi Shouldn't have won the Award.

1.Many of you claim Messi won the Copa America and Lewandoski failed to play pass group stage of Euro 2020 or qualify for World Cup.
It is only a dumb football lover that will compare Poland squad to Argentina squad, they are jst simply incomparable. Argentina has a one of the best squad in the world. Argentina played Chile in the first match it ended 1-1, they also beat Uruguay, Paraguay and Bolivia to qualify past group stage, then they beat Ecuador 3-0 in Quarter finals and Colombia on penalties in the semi final. Then they beat Brazil in the final. I would like everyone to checkout the countries Messi played against in this Copa America apart from Colombia and Brazil others are not a big task for giants like Argentina. Chile and Uruguay use to be a good football playing country but right now it seems Peru is by far better than them. So technically Messi only played Colombia and Brazil as the big countries in Copa America.
Whereas, Poland were drawn against Spain, Sweden and Slovakia in the Euro 2020, i need you to compare the countries Lewandoski and Messi Played against. In the world cup qualifier, Lewandoski played England and magnificent Hungary side, even tho they lost some of the matches, Lewandoski was magnificent(please check his World cup qualifier stat in this poor Poland team) same way Messi was oustanding in Barca's poor team.

2. Messi in Barcelona can never be compared to any other player in another team. If you watch Barcelona very well in 2020, you would get to know that Messi plays as a playmaker and he is given all the freedom. Every Barcelona player wants to give Messi the ball which increase his chances of scoring but Lewandoski case is slightly different even tho he is Bayern point man he still as big name who also scores individually. I hope you all get my point.

3. Messi Performance in 2021 is not as great people say.
Messi fans claimed he played well in Barcelona in 2021 but he still couldn't win La liga best player despite is individual brilliance. His performance for PSG in 2021, also proves my second point about Barcelona centering their ball on Messi.
Finally, i would say Messi winning the ballon dor show it is purely politics, he is clearly the second favourites but not the first. If it was by Countries achievement then Xavi or Iniesta should have won in 2010 because they performed well in the world Cup and also Barcelona. I remembered in 2010.

Piece of trash try and go back to school dudu.....

1 Like

Re: Three Reasons Why Messi Shouldn't Have Won The Ballon Dor Award (Opinion) by TruthSocial: 9:35pm On Nov 30, 2021
So tell me why Jorginho didn't deserve to win, he won a international trophy, won the highest club trophy (champions league and world club cup), won the Europe best player too.
Re: Three Reasons Why Messi Shouldn't Have Won The Ballon Dor Award (Opinion) by Pacesetter123(m): 9:38pm On Nov 30, 2021
All this noise about Messi and Lewandoski,I don't know what they are for.None of them deserves the award this time around.If the award wasn't given to Jorginho with UEFA CL,Super Cup and Euro Nation Cup in his trophy's cabinet,then it should have at least,with all amount of fairness given to Ngolo Kante that won UEFA CL, Super Cup and UEFA Nation leaque couple with his individual's brilliant performance in the year under reviewed. But the organizers in their usual characteristics bias, partiality and unfair judgement decided to deny them the award.
What will you say about the keeper's award?
That any other keeper performs more than Edourdo Mendy last year?
So people like us should be the ones complaining and not Lewandoski fans.But I am not complaining because the cheat didn't come as a surprise to me.Right from 2010 that Wesley Sneider was rigged out of the award even with all the available statistics tilting to his favour and given to this same Messi with nothing to show for it that year,I then knew that electoral umpire in some African countries are far more fairer just than the organizers of this award in their judgement.
I rest my case! sad
Re: Three Reasons Why Messi Shouldn't Have Won The Ballon Dor Award (Opinion) by Viper231: 9:38pm On Nov 30, 2021
Na dust you dey yarn. Go create your own award make you give lewa.
Re: Three Reasons Why Messi Shouldn't Have Won The Ballon Dor Award (Opinion) by dy27(m): 9:41pm On Nov 30, 2021
Re: Three Reasons Why Messi Shouldn't Have Won The Ballon Dor Award (Opinion) by FlipModeSquade(m): 9:42pm On Nov 30, 2021
Kingcalls:

Lewandowski has been the best for the past 2 seasons.... balon dor has lost its credibility
Balon D'or is for ONE YEAR..

NOT TWO YEARS..

As far as the year 2021 is concerned..

Judge for yourself..

Who had the better year.. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Three Reasons Why Messi Shouldn't Have Won The Ballon Dor Award (Opinion) by Yhungsarm(m): 9:43pm On Nov 30, 2021
kenex4ever:

Very poor football analysis

1. To start with, Argentina is not a great team at all. They are all unknown players apart from Messi and Dimaria. MESSI was the star on the team and he carried them past teams like Brazil, Colomnia, Uruguary, Bolivia, Paraguay.
To add, Portugal currently has one of the best teams in the would with Cancello, Bernado Silver, Bruno Fernandes, this atl madrid boy etc.
2. Another poor effort to undermine Messi.
In his last season at Barca Messi was the striker, midfielder, chance creator ( you can check his assists)
and almost singlehandedly won Laliga with under20 boys. He missed very few chances compared to Lewa and any other person.
3. He didnt win Laliga best because he lost Laliga even though he was clearly the best player that season. He outscored and assisted more than everybody.

Guy just go n sleep
I never mentioned Ronaldo in that post bro, only Lewandoski. If he didn't win La liga best player that means he wasn't the best player in Laliga
Re: Three Reasons Why Messi Shouldn't Have Won The Ballon Dor Award (Opinion) by kenex4ever(m): 9:46pm On Nov 30, 2021
Yhungsarm:
I never mentioned Ronaldo in that post bro, only Lewandoski. If he didn't win La liga best player that means he wasn't the best player in Laliga
In the same vein, if Lewa didnt win B dor then he is not the best player in the world.
Re: Three Reasons Why Messi Shouldn't Have Won The Ballon Dor Award (Opinion) by Popesuccess(m): 9:50pm On Nov 30, 2021
This award is ot thrown down from heaven for someone to pick, people vote to decide the winner. The man with the majority vote wins. You people should let people rest over this matter. Buhari don't deserve to be a local government chairmen but he had the majority votes to became president. That is life. The 3 top players deserve to win it in my own opinion, but is one person that will win it.

1 Like

Re: Three Reasons Why Messi Shouldn't Have Won The Ballon Dor Award (Opinion) by Asour: 9:52pm On Nov 30, 2021
Maxymilliano:
Kross
Oliver Khan
Lothar Mathaus
Ike Casilas
And many more

Have said it.
But some sentimental and bias people will still come on social media to say what they don't know

Hahahahahaha.

Kroos Ke?
Kroos that named Benzema as the 2nd best player in 2021.
What exactly was Benzema's achievement in 2021?
And don't tell me the Nations League where he wasn't even the best player.

These guys (Kroos) are Madrid players. What do you expect?

2 Likes

Re: Three Reasons Why Messi Shouldn't Have Won The Ballon Dor Award (Opinion) by Hermes119: 9:52pm On Nov 30, 2021
TruthSocial:
Here's my opinion.

Messi fans around the world believe that winning the Copa America, Copa de Rey, highest goal scorer in Copa America, highest chances created in the league is enough to win the balon d or, but yet they agree lewandoski should have won the award in 2020, if Lewandoski is so qualified to win in 2020 just because he won the bundelisga and was highest goal scorer in the league, why is he not so qualified to win it in 2021. If as a Messi fan your argument is Messi won because of his performances for Argentina in the Copa America, then anyone from the Italian squad that won the uefa euro cup should have won the balon d or too, Messi should win the best player in Copa America not the best in the world this time ,I remember how he won it in 2011 when Wesley sneidjer was the clear winner of that trophy that year.
First of all Lewy was deserving of the award in 2020 because amidst all the honours you mentioned he had he won the champions league,u omitted that. So it was pretty simple
This year Continental competitions took place,let's look at this way
The factors considered are the following
Your individual performance as a player(goals,assists,man of the match awards and the rest)
Your contribution to your team/your team trophies

Now Messi and Lewy had amazing individual performances,depending on the indices that you chooses either could be argued to be better than the other,if all you are concerned about is goals then Lewy had a better individual performance but if u include other indices like assists,man of the match awards,points won per goal then Messi beats him hands down, but let's just assume that both have comparable individual performance

Now coming to the second part,team performance, Lewy didn't win anything spectacular and by that I mean the champions league,euros or world cup,Messi at club level didn't win anything spectacular but then he won the copa america
So there u have it
This thing is actually pretty simple is just that you guys are blinded by sentiments
For the likes of Jorginho,while he won more team trophies than Messi,Messi showed more individual brilliance than him,following my line of though the real contest should have even been between Messi and Jorginho because at least he excelled more than Messi in achievements with his team, Lewandowski wasn't better than Messi in any department except goals scored and if that is your criteria for winning the balloon d'or then Messi should have like 10 by now

1 Like

Re: Three Reasons Why Messi Shouldn't Have Won The Ballon Dor Award (Opinion) by Ijoba85: 10:02pm On Nov 30, 2021
Complete balderdash . Mtcheww
Re: Three Reasons Why Messi Shouldn't Have Won The Ballon Dor Award (Opinion) by maxwell530(m): 10:23pm On Nov 30, 2021
TruthSocial:
Here's my opinion.

this comment shows how confused you guys are, lewandolski won the treble in 2019/2020 season and that's why he deserves the 2020 award but unfortunately,covid happens.You guys are still battling in the 2020 season of lewandolski while another UCL have been won by Chelsea and that's why Jorginho, Kante, Mount, Sterling,debryne and Co could make the final list. Lewandolski wasn't even UCL highest goal scorer last season, Erling Haaland was. Bayern was knocked out of UCL quarter final by PSG,his Poland was knocked out of Euro group stage, he was not Euro highest goal scorer (Ronaldo was). Now who on Earth deserves the Balon d'Or because he won bundesliga highest goal scorer?

2 Likes

Re: Three Reasons Why Messi Shouldn't Have Won The Ballon Dor Award (Opinion) by maxwell530(m): 10:40pm On Nov 30, 2021
Yhungsarm:
guess what? John Terry didn't win Chelsea's Best player in 2005 but he won EPL best player. Ask yourself why Lionel Messi couldn't win la Liga best player despite being the league highest goal scorer and assist maker.Luis Suarez won the league best player because he won the league with Atletico. Abi u go still pick Suarez for Ballon d'Or too just because he was la Liga best player? grin grin grin grin

I don't know how you analyse your own but I'm 100% sure your football knowledge is fueled by the emotion and the fact that your favorite player can Never close the gap with Lionel Messi again. It's too late.

We told you Messi will retire with the Most Ballon d'Or award in history. Ur favorite can play till 40 as he likes sha.

2 Likes

Re: Three Reasons Why Messi Shouldn't Have Won The Ballon Dor Award (Opinion) by victons(m): 10:45pm On Nov 30, 2021
So can you compare Sweden and Slovakia to Uruaguay and Chile

1 Like

Re: Three Reasons Why Messi Shouldn't Have Won The Ballon Dor Award (Opinion) by Nobody: 10:47pm On Nov 30, 2021
Yhungsarm:
Messi fans are not truthful at all. Saying Messi deserves the award ahead of Lewandoski is just pure rubbish and i will give you three pure reasons why messi Shouldn't have won the Award.

1.Many of you claim Messi won the Copa America and Lewandoski failed to play pass group stage of Euro 2020 or qualify for World Cup.
It is only a dumb football lover that will compare Poland squad to Argentina squad, they are jst simply incomparable. Argentina has a one of the best squad in the world. Argentina played Chile in the first match it ended 1-1, they also beat Uruguay, Paraguay and Bolivia to qualify past group stage, then they beat Ecuador 3-0 in Quarter finals and Colombia on penalties in the semi final. Then they beat Brazil in the final. I would like everyone to checkout the countries Messi played against in this Copa America apart from Colombia and Brazil others are not a big task for giants like Argentina. Chile and Uruguay use to be a good football playing country but right now it seems Peru is by far better than them. So technically Messi only played Colombia and Brazil as the big countries in Copa America.
Whereas, Poland were drawn against Spain, Sweden and Slovakia in the Euro 2020, i need you to compare the countries Lewandoski and Messi Played against. In the world cup qualifier, Lewandoski played England and magnificent Hungary side, even tho they lost some of the matches, Lewandoski was magnificent(please check his World cup qualifier stat in this poor Poland team) same way Messi was oustanding in Barca's poor team.

2. Messi in Barcelona can never be compared to any other player in another team. If you watch Barcelona very well in 2020, you would get to know that Messi plays as a playmaker and he is given all the freedom. Every Barcelona player wants to give Messi the ball which increase his chances of scoring but Lewandoski case is slightly different even tho he is Bayern point man he still as big name who also scores individually. I hope you all get my point.

Messi fans claimed he played well in Barcelona in 2021 but he still couldn't win La liga best player despite is individual brilliance. His performance for PSG in 2021, also proves my second point about Barcelona centering their ball on Messi.
Finally, i would say Messi winning the ballon dor show it is purely politics, he is clearly the second favourites but not the first. If it was by Countries achievement then Xavi or Iniesta should have won in 2010 because they performed well in the world Cup and also Barcelona. I remembered in 2010.

You are just pained. There are more mediocre teams in Europe than South America. Is it easy to win MVP, top assists and top scorer in one tournament? 27 man of the match awards in 50 matches? Keep wailing!

2 Likes

Re: Three Reasons Why Messi Shouldn't Have Won The Ballon Dor Award (Opinion) by Numerouno94(m): 10:55pm On Nov 30, 2021
ThierryJay:

Lol thanks bro. That title is reserved for Mr. Wenger though grin

You know what's paining Pendu peeps, it's that they never experred it grin grin even when we had been telling them since July.

To Messi fans, it's really not a surprise. If anything, the past 3 months of the current season closed the voting gap between Lewy and Messi just to show you that the Copa win was the enabler.

To b frank, i luv the way u nd oj they give a detailed, lucid nd cogent analysis. Una na boss abeg. Nd u supposed b prof in of English nd Linguistics. smiley

One penaldian said he will commit suicide if the balon d'or is awarded to Messi. Imagine such an idiotic reasoning.
Like i said earlier, anyone who is aggrieved at the outcome shuld kindly boycott anything that has to do wit football. They shuld leave football for us. Lol. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Three Reasons Why Messi Shouldn't Have Won The Ballon Dor Award (Opinion) by uchdavinci: 10:57pm On Nov 30, 2021
Is there even a criteria for checking who wins... i gave up on their politics after what was done to Wesley Sneider in 2010...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Three Reasons Why Messi Shouldn't Have Won The Ballon Dor Award (Opinion) by maiquel: 11:21pm On Nov 30, 2021
I just wasted 2 mins of my time reading this crap.
Re: Three Reasons Why Messi Shouldn't Have Won The Ballon Dor Award (Opinion) by openmine(m): 11:21pm On Nov 30, 2021
Yhungsarm:

OP you are entitled to your opinions like every other personality that have reacted after Messi won the Ballon d'Or
However, what you should do is find out the criteria or requirements for selecting a player and who is permitted to vote

What is the selection process for the 2021 Ballon d'Or?
To start, editors at French weekly publication France Football created a 30-player shortlist of award nominees, which itself is prestigious to be a part of.

Then, a jury of voters for the Ballon d'Or winner is compiled by picking top journalists from around the world who will make their selections for first, second, third, fourth and fifth place.

The following qualifications are considered by the jury:

Individual and collective performances (winners) during the year.
Player class (talent and fair play).
Overall judgment of the player's career.

The top-ranking player from each journalist's selection will receive six points, with the second-ranking player earning four points, then three, two and one going down from the rest of their top five picks.

How was Messi chosen for the Ballon d'Or?
After each jury member has selected their top five players for the Ballon d'Or award, the total points are calculated and added, and the player to receive the most number of points will be awarded the top honour.

In 2021, Messi has won with 613 total points, followed by Robert Lewandowski (580) and Jorginho (460).

www goal com/en/news/ballon-dor-2021-what-was-the-selection-process-for-voting/blt39a963e869cb9342
Re: Three Reasons Why Messi Shouldn't Have Won The Ballon Dor Award (Opinion) by a4law: 11:21pm On Nov 30, 2021
I suppose knock ur head with this rubbish u are saying
Idiot u no get work
Go collect am back from Leo Messi
Mumu man
Time to sleep don reach go smoke ur Igbo make u sleep
Re: Three Reasons Why Messi Shouldn't Have Won The Ballon Dor Award (Opinion) by DareyFortified: 11:33pm On Nov 30, 2021
TEYA:

he even said barca players always pass the ball to Messi, thus enabling him to score. i was like does this guy know anything about Leo's assist prowess? Messi was man of the match in almost all FC Barca's matches last season! That includes matches that barca drew or lost.

The guy is a fool... He thinks Messi is like Ronaldo or Lewandoski who sit in the box and wait for passes from his teammates so they can score. Awon tap-in merchant

1 Like

Re: Three Reasons Why Messi Shouldn't Have Won The Ballon Dor Award (Opinion) by lokobyforch(m): 11:48pm On Nov 30, 2021
Do have a gud day, it's obvious u are sad...like it or not, u no qualify to analyze let alone vote...
Re: Three Reasons Why Messi Shouldn't Have Won The Ballon Dor Award (Opinion) by Bimpe29: 12:11am On Dec 01, 2021
Your opinion is noted only by us here, however Messi himself said Lewandowski deserved it. grin
Re: Three Reasons Why Messi Shouldn't Have Won The Ballon Dor Award (Opinion) by fred04(m): 12:49am On Dec 01, 2021
Oga sell your opinions, use am buy hanky n cry well
Re: Three Reasons Why Messi Shouldn't Have Won The Ballon Dor Award (Opinion) by BluntCrazeMan: 5:27am On Dec 01, 2021
Yhungsarm:

Apart from scoring the highest number of goals, what else??
It's not just about the goals alone jarre.
It's about the game itself.!!

Re: Three Reasons Why Messi Shouldn't Have Won The Ballon Dor Award (Opinion) by Aflix(m): 6:20am On Dec 01, 2021
DareyFortified:

In 2020 Lewandoski did not just win the league, he won every trophies available including the champions league and there was no international tournament that year. So yes we believe he deserve to win it.

But this year however there is an international tournament, but he only won the league and golden boot, something Messi did the year modric won the ballon d'Or.

So if Messi despite winning the league and the golden boot failed to win a ballon d'Or because modric carried croatia to the Final of euros and winning the best player of the tournament. Messi deserves to it also.

Did you get it now? Abi you still want to be foolish?

Is it that Ronaldo fans are being intentionally dumb or they don’t just know the difference between 2019/20 season and 2020/21 season

Imagine them even saying Salah deserves it because he is performing well this season Like the balon d or is meant for this season’s performance.

Honestly, I don tire for these people matter.

2 Likes

Re: Three Reasons Why Messi Shouldn't Have Won The Ballon Dor Award (Opinion) by FRANKOSKI(m): 6:26am On Dec 01, 2021
IT'S OPINION RIGHT?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Umahi Kicks Off Construction Of Ebonyi Olympic Stadium (Photos) / Griezmann Ranked 6th In Most Expensive Transfers / Super Falcons Celebrate 2-0 Victory Against South Korea In The Dressing Room

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.