Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,011 members, 7,817,979 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:29 AM

Korean Investors To Lift Agric In Ekiti With U.s.$400 Million - Business (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Korean Investors To Lift Agric In Ekiti With U.s.$400 Million (9819 Views)

Come And Learn New Tricks That Cashed Me Over $400 On Fiverr In 5weeks. FREE!! / Aliko Dangote To Launch $400 Million Cement Plant In Zambia / US Investors To Build 6 Refineries In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Korean Investors To Lift Agric In Ekiti With U.s.$400 Million by homerac7: 7:07am On Jun 12, 2011
This proposal is a pure scam!

Invest a whole $400 (#70bn) and check out after 3 years when u can't break even yet? Isn't dt fishy? Abi na opium, coca plant and marijuana dem wan plant?

Making it funny is dt its clearly stated dt ALL produce will b bought and EXPORTED. Isn't ur internal warning mechanism ringing crazy by now?

Forget all d promises of thousands of farm labourers (yes, Dats what majority will b as dey will bring d upper and middle level and many low level, yes, low level skilled labour frm Korea), all na boju-boju. If ojuju wan carry small pikin, e go first promise am 10 kobo.

It's obvious dt many here don't know a thing about agriculture in Nigeria. It's quite very complicated. Neither also r Nigerias not uninterested in mechanized farming, but u need to knw what d challenges r.

Obasanjo's govt made a lot of foundation economic reforms and proposed many more, which r d catalysts of major development indices we currently claim. So what did he do about agriculture? He had some success in trying to stimulate local production in small scale farming, majority livestock and fish farming. But what about crop farming? Enter Yar'Adua.

Yar'Adua died hammering on one thing everytime-land reform. It's d single biggest challenge to large scale farming in Nigeria and general sub-sahara Africa. But he died without achieving reform and d idea died with him. Return to square one.

If large scale private investment is to b encouraged in any sector of d economy, d government has certain primary roles of making d necessary enabling policy frameworks. Which is quintessential in case of locally driven large scale commercial farming. But d government has never addressed d traditional land holding difficulties, making breakthroughs difficult, expensive and few. thus, d options open is for super rich foreign companies to connive wt politicians to defraud d people as is now common. More worrisome is dt d greedy politicians don't care about d consequences of their action or motives behind d acquisition. They just want to chop and go.

Genuine commercial agriculture stimulation in Nigeria is never going to b without land ownership policy review. If we fall fully into hands of these land graders, Mugabe is going to b d Jesus our children will pray to.
Re: Korean Investors To Lift Agric In Ekiti With U.s.$400 Million by Kobojunkie: 1:31pm On Jun 12, 2011
Kilode?!:

Kobo, I'm glad to hear about your Grandfather, he's was very much like mine. Mine was a Cocoa farmer, he was not a Nobel Prize winner, but I heard he judged issues with great wisdom. He was not uneducated within the context of the society he lived in. He was not ignorant about his culture and the methods necessary to provide for his family within his village, he had tools to help him survive the world he found himself in at his time. He lived great and aged gracefully.

One day maybe I'll tell you more about his other great exploits, Okunrin meta fun ra ara e! wink

^^^ No thanks, I don't care for the stories. I am more interested in honest facts being presented
Re: Korean Investors To Lift Agric In Ekiti With U.s.$400 Million by Kobojunkie: 1:39pm On Jun 12, 2011
Kilode?!:

Did I kilode?! Mention that land grab is UNIQUE to Nigeria? I don't get your point are you saying we should sell lands blindly because as you said "Most countries do it"
So, why bring it up then if you believe MOST COUNTRIES DO IT and we have on record that it did not start with this korean. Matter of fact, I remember reading similar sensational headlines back in the 80's when lebanese/Indians firms started taking interest in Nigeria. "Land Grab" -- that was the headline in one of the papers.

Kilode?!:

So no need to worry or point to articles or be cautious, because "most countries sell lands now" Is that your argument?
Did you read Katsumoto's economist article, did you read the one I posted? You think the caution raised is unnecessary? Really? Are you saying you see no reason for caution and a careful assessment of the geo-politics of land and food issues?  Knowing fully well how inconsiderate Nigerian politicians can be
I am saying we need to tone down the rhetoric and stop spreading the conspiracies. If anything, this is feeding more into the xenophobic sides of many on here.

You think this practice of leasing/selling land to foreigners started only recently? You think it only started with this Korean? You think we have not were not cautious over 30 years ago when we leased to lebanese and indian companies back then? You think we were not cautious when we leased to european etc investors over 40 years ago? Why the need to cry that we cautious now when we read news of a korean wanting to lease some hectares?
Re: Korean Investors To Lift Agric In Ekiti With U.s.$400 Million by enyojo(f): 2:14pm On Jun 12, 2011
homerac7:

This proposal is a pure scam!

Invest a whole $400 (#70bn) and check out after 3 years when u can't break even yet? Isn't dt fishy? Abi na opium, coca plant and marijuana dem wan plant?

Making it funny is dt its clearly stated dt ALL produce will b bought and EXPORTED. Isn't your internal warning mechanism ringing crazy by now?

Forget all d promises of thousands of farm labourers (yes, Dats what majority will b as dey will bring d upper and middle level and many low level, yes, low level skilled labour frm Korea), all na boju-boju. If ojuju wan carry small pikin, e go first promise am 10 kobo.

It's obvious dt many here don't know a thing about agriculture in Nigeria. It's quite very complicated. Neither also r Nigerias not uninterested in mechanized farming, but u need to knw what d challenges r.

Obasanjo's govt made a lot of foundation economic reforms and proposed many more, which r d catalysts of major development indices we currently claim. So what did he do about agriculture? He had some success in trying to stimulate local production in small scale farming, majority livestock and fish farming. But what about crop farming? Enter Yar'Adua.

Yar'Adua died hammering on one thing everytime-land reform. It's d single biggest challenge to large scale farming in Nigeria and general sub-sahara Africa. But he died without achieving reform and d idea died with him. Return to square one.

If large scale private investment is to b encouraged in any sector of d economy, d government has certain primary roles of making d necessary enabling policy frameworks. Which is quintessential in case of locally driven large scale commercial farming. But d government has never addressed d traditional land holding difficulties, making breakthroughs difficult, expensive and few. thus, d options open is for super rich foreign companies to connive wt politicians to defraud d people as is now common. More worrisome is dt d greedy politicians don't care about d consequences of their action or motives behind d acquisition. They just want to chop and go.

Genuine commercial agriculture stimulation in Nigeria is never going to b without land ownership policy review. If we fall fully into hands of these land graders, Mugabe is going to b d Jesus our children will pray to.

I enjoy ur perspective
Re: Korean Investors To Lift Agric In Ekiti With U.s.$400 Million by Kilode1: 2:45pm On Jun 12, 2011
Kobojunkie:

^^^ No thanks, I don't care for the stories. I am more interested in honest facts being presented

But you told me about your grandfather now, so I had to tell you about mine, I didn't want to be selfish. grin
Re: Korean Investors To Lift Agric In Ekiti With U.s.$400 Million by ezeagu(m): 3:05pm On Jun 12, 2011
If they mess up kick them off the land, simple.
Re: Korean Investors To Lift Agric In Ekiti With U.s.$400 Million by Kilode1: 3:08pm On Jun 12, 2011
@Kobo, As per the Topic, I already summarized my opinion on page one, I don't see how that is "crying", or too much "rhetoric" feeding the "Xenophobic sides of many on here" (whatever that means). But Maybe you know more about people on here than I do.

My initial comment:
The way things are going, Land and water resources are about to become the new Oil. See the article/interview below:

As long as we can protect our people's interest we will be ok. If we don't, we are in trouble. I believe Fayemi has his head screwed on right though.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Forever Living Product - Is It A Scam? / WhatsApp Marketing Pro SOFTWARE -Send Massive Bulk WhatsApp Messages / Dangote Flour Sells 63% Stake To South African Firm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.