Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,456 members, 7,812,395 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:43 PM

Oracle DBA Corner - Computers (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Oracle DBA Corner (52393 Views)

Newbies Corner / Windows 8 Is Around The Corner / The Best Laptop Engineers Around The Corner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oracle DBA Corner by jimblaze(m): 9:30pm On Jun 20, 2008
thanks alot le moor just checked my box will download it soon,God bless
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by LeMoor(m): 1:54am On Jun 21, 2008
No worries. Just keep this thread alive and pass on anything you learn.
If you need anything else holla
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by timi07(m): 7:24pm On Jun 21, 2008
sup bro thanks alot. i have seen it
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by c1(m): 12:53pm On Jun 22, 2008
hi Le Moor, thanks for your awonderful contribution, it was really thoughtful of you assisting young dbas like us(me).
dd my certifications, mcp and ocp in NIIT, but yet to have hands on exp, pls i need your assistance on being a seasoned dba,
having a lot of passion for it.
i wouldnt mind any book you can offer as promised to other folks in the house.((Physical, and logical database, design. entity relationships etc)
i developed myself in linux, apart from windows, and sun solaris.
again whatever assistance that can be rendered to be a succesful dba, thanks
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by c1(m): 12:58pm On Jun 22, 2008
timi07, kindly pass it over to me too.
abi na you only is it for? cheesy shocked smiley
we shall meet at the top
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by monex(m): 1:52pm On Jun 24, 2008
please i need help

i was trying to install oracle 10gr2 on an oracle enterprise linux os. when i entered runInstaller, it responded with command not found.

i had "cd" to the database directory in the oracle installation.

please does anyone know the reason and what i can do.
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by LeMoor(m): 5:12pm On Jun 24, 2008
Hi Monex
Use this documentation. it should come in useful.

If you are running from linux, make sure you have x-windows installed. This will ensure the GUI comes up when you hit runInstaller.
For the run Installed, make sure you are in the directory (In this case, it is usually in Disk1, after you have unzipped the files).

If you are using the cd, change directory to the folder that has runInstaller and make sure at the promp type ./runInstaller.

Dont forget the ./ and it is case sensitive. So runInstaller isn not the same thing as Runinstaller or rininstaller,
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by LeMoor(m): 5:57pm On Jun 27, 2008
Any Updates?
A little feedback would be nice
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by A40(m): 8:45pm On Jun 27, 2008
@Le Moor
I need some information from you i am preparing for my OCP's and i would like to find out a few stuff i heard its better to run your Oracle instance on a Linux or Solaris Machine but i run mine on windows i would also appreciate manuals on RAC i would also like to know what.Besides that what is the key to make a good DBA?
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by LeMoor(m): 2:10am On Jun 28, 2008
If you check my earlier posts. I mentioned I don't have OCP (certifications) material. Whilst I appreciate and understand why a lot of pple go thru the certification route, I personally believe a hands on experience beats certifications any day. i will sooner give my databases to a college drop out with experience that to someone who has 5certifications, but hasnt done a day of real life DB administeration.

But with that said, I will answer your question. Without trying to sound cliche. The key to being a good DBA is common sense application and due diligence. Do not be afraid to break stuff (I mean stuff in test environments not production). You just need to keep practicing on real databases and you can use books as a back up. What you will learn in 1month on the Job in a real life oracle environment, you cannot read it up in a year. Because theyare just very different scenarios and the books paint an ideal environment. Something any experienced DBA can tell you couldn't be further from the truth. There are simple questions I can ask anyone purporting to be a dba, that will show if the pereson has just being reading books or if they have handled a database in real life. I need to know that if my database goes down for some reason at 2am, I have some one that can recover the database 'by any means necessary' and have it up and running before business resumes the following morning. And if it is in a High Availability environment, then I need to know my standbys can be used whilst my 'primary' database is being recovered.

Finally, this might not seem like a very sound advice, but the key to been a good dba is to 1st get your foot into the door. even if it means the monetary returns are not immediately gratifying. if you have the requisite experience, the money will come. I dont know how much dba's earn in Nigeria anymore, but I can tell you the average salary for a good dba with 3-5yrs in the US goes from anywhere between $65 - $85 per hr. I know of instances where people have been brought in to handle disasters for $125hr.

Now, u forgot to give me your email. if you are just starting out. I think I have some materials that might be useful. If you do find it useful let me know, I will get you more. p.s I am not charging anyone anything for any materials I give them. All I ask is that, when someone comes to you with the same request, you should also share any knowledge you might have gained along the line.
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by c1(m): 8:08pm On Jun 28, 2008
[quote][/quote]
good one there Le Moor.
what machine can be used to instal sun solaris, dual boothing with linux .AS i have installd linux on ma machine, but couldnt install sun gui, except the cli.
need ur advice.
johnson_c102@yahoo.com
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by LeMoor(m): 10:23pm On Jun 28, 2008
Sent yo uan email.
Holla if you have any questions
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by jimblaze(m): 10:35pm On Jun 28, 2008
good day le moor good to see you here again,will properly start to read the books next week,once again, thanx a lot
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by LeMoor(m): 9:19am On Jun 29, 2008
Cool.
Let me know if u come across any issues you might need someone to explain to you,
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by A40(m): 8:50pm On Jun 30, 2008
@Le Moor
Thanks a lot your information was very useful to me.I didnt say i needed OCP materials though! i have them already and i am presently studying them i agree with you that the Certificates are not everything but its a start you definitely have to have those Certificates sometimes before you even get considered i do feel it is how you learn that matters if your aim is just to be certified without work practice or training then you wouldnt get far.It is not about the money for me i just have that interest and willingness to learn i believe the money will come naturally.I will post up my email on my profile please look up my profile and send me what you have i will really appreciate it.Thanks
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by A40(m): 8:02pm On Jul 01, 2008
biggbrovazz@yahoo.co.uk is my addy

One more question: How much of PL/SQL does a good DBA need to know especially when it comes to scheduling jobs or automating tasks
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by LeMoor(m): 9:40pm On Jul 01, 2008
You need a lot. But depending on the the environment you find yourself. Oracle has made dbms job scheduler easy to use. Now you can set up a job in 5mins using Grid Control without even seeing the underlying code. Whilst this is quite good, it is advisable to know what is going on underneath, just incase, you find youself in an environment where you have to debug codes, or still have to use the command line to schedule your jobs.

I will hit you up on yahoo.
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by monex(m): 12:57pm On Jul 02, 2008
Thanks LeMoor. the reason was that i had spaces in the path to the oracle database installation directory.

However a new issue came up as runInstaller responded with "unsupported operating system". i using oracle enterprise linux and i thought oracle 10g for linux would run on it since they were from the same vendor.

can i use tweaks or fixes to solve this.
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by LeMoor(m): 5:58pm On Jul 02, 2008
Oracle should have run a Pre-Requisite pre-installation check.
Look at this certification Matrix to decide if your OS is compatible. There is no point tweaking it and forcing it to install, then later have problems having it run smoothly.
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/content-management/cert/UCM_Certification_Matrix.pdf

It will give you a list of compatible OS.
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by jimblaze(m): 6:30pm On Jul 02, 2008
Hello le Moor,i want to get into learn how to use linux os,i have downloaded 1 or 2 books online and was wondering if u could give me a few pointers,was thinking of formatting my harddrive and then partitioning so i can reinstall windows and oracle unbreakable linux or another version of linux,i have basic idea on how to go about it but i hear u need like a partition software?anyway i would like to hear from you regarding this, thanx again and GOD bless
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by LeMoor(m): 8:40pm On Jul 02, 2008
I dont know your system specs, so i dont know the effect dual booting would have on your computer.
But if you do have the resources (memory, harddisk space, cpu), then partitioning wouldnt be a bad idea.
I havent used a partitioning tool in a while, but i hear partitioning magic is good.

Hope this helps
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by jimblaze(m): 12:15am On Jul 03, 2008
i use a toshiba satellite centrino duo core,120g hard drive,1.5 G ram.
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by LeMoor(m): 12:44am On Jul 03, 2008
You should be good to go
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by A40(m): 7:15pm On Jul 03, 2008
@Le Moor
Thanks for the tips i guess the power of EM really has the ability to make a DBA lazy that tool is just too powerful my PL/SQL is still a work in progress but the schedulers are a bit better for me its not so hard for me to remember the codes.
Have you mailed me yet?
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by LeMoor(m): 7:51pm On Jul 03, 2008
I havent mailed you. I have been quite busy. One of the projects I am handling is going live in a couple of weeks. So we are in crunch time, and i just sneak on here to quickly post, besides, i dont keep most of my docs on my office pc, so I have to get home before i can send anything. i will endeavor to remember this weekend.

yeah, EM makes like a lot easier. But imagine when you have Grid Control and you have upwards of 300 dbs being monitored by this tool. It makes life easier, but doesnt necessarily make the dba lazy. There is still a lot of monitoring to be done. A lot of architecture, and sizings which EM/GC wont do for you, not to mention jobs, scheduling u have to do etc etc.
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by monex(m): 1:15pm On Jul 04, 2008
partition magic is best. i use it. you partition ur hard disk. you will however have to configure dual booting if you want to to use ur windows and ur linux. if it is the windows boot loader you prefer then don't install grub to the master boot record
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by chuckvyl(m): 5:22pm On Jul 04, 2008
Larryoncol

How can you say that two databases cannot be running on the sasme machine.
It is not true.
Multiple databases can be running on the same machine.

Charles
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by A40(m): 8:44pm On Jul 04, 2008
@Le Moor
I understand you are busy i will be expecting your mail.Lol i cant wait to start handling some of these deadline projects

Yeah thats true but it can save you from remembering a lot of codes that ordinarily you wouldnt be able too

@chuckvyl
Did he mean SQL Server and an Oracle RDBMS? of course you can run them both on a system
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by jimblaze(m): 6:15pm On Jul 05, 2008
hey monex how do i get partition magic?can you hook me up?
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by pespes: 7:25pm On Jul 05, 2008
hello all
i am ocp and mcdba,though with a lotta theory and no job experience jus got job with a software dev company in ikoyi.

will like everyone to give tit bits on what to expect

thanks
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by LeMoor(m): 10:51pm On Jul 05, 2008
pespes,
Noone can tell you what to expect? What is your job description? What environment are they running? Oracke, Mysql, Mssql what versions? what OS?
Is your job database related?

A-10,
Handling deadlines isnt fun, that is one of the few times, when you are very visible in the organization, and everyone is looking to you to make things work (even when it isnt your fault),
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by jimblaze(m): 5:02pm On Jul 06, 2008
hello Le Moor,i have got some issues, not me anyway my database, i tried to open enterprise manager and it would not open, so i went to command prompt and typed emctl start but it gave me a message saying environment variable not set,set oracle_sid ,so i set the oracle sid as orcl, after that it stll gave me a message saying EM CONFIGURATION ISSUE C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\jimspc_localhost_orcl NOT FOUND,i run oracle on windows xp,so what do i do? i also went to services and tried starting oracledbconsoleorcl but it wouldnt start, so what now? grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now / 15 Keyboard Shortcuts Every Computer Geek Should Know / 11 Reasons You Should Quit Facebook In 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.