Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,500 members, 7,812,543 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:05 PM

Oracle DBA Corner - Computers (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Oracle DBA Corner (52394 Views)

Newbies Corner / Windows 8 Is Around The Corner / The Best Laptop Engineers Around The Corner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oracle DBA Corner by LeMoor(m): 7:29pm On Jul 06, 2008
Did you install Enterprise manger? What OS are you running on (cos i can see something about XP)?
if you did, try the following
set ORACLE_SID= 'your sid'
cd $ORACLE_HOME/agent10/home (i dont know your exact path but cd to the Agent home on your OS.
cd /bin
At the prompt
./emctl status agent.

This will tell you the status of the agent, if any xml fimes are being uploaded and how many are pending.

From the error you posted I would think you SID is Db_1.
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by jimblaze(m): 9:49pm On Jul 06, 2008
@Le Moor,yes i installed EM cos i have been practicing on it b4 this happened. I am runnig oracle on windows xp. okay, went to command prompt and typed EMCTL STATUS AGENT and it gave me this error ENVIRONMENT VARIABLE ORACLE_SID NOT DEFINED PLS DEFINE IT, so i then typed this to set the environment variable , SET ORACLE_SID=DB_1, it then gave me this error, EM CONFIGURATION ISSUE C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\jimspc_Db_1 not found, now jimspc is the name of my computer but there is no folder called jimspc_db1 in the Db_1 folder in the oracle directory,so i guess thats the folder that has the configuration for EM so i changed the name to jimspc_orcl and then went back to command prompt and set the environment variable to ORCL like this, SET ORACL_SID=ORCL, i then ran EMCTL STATUS AGENT and it said, AGENT IS NOT RUNNING,so i went to services and started oracledbconsoleorcl but it would not start but gave me this error, WINDOWS COULD NOT START THE ORACLEDBCONSOLEORCL ON LOCAL COMPUTER and ofcos if it does not start i cant start ENTERPRISE MANAGER
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by LeMoor(m): 10:47pm On Jul 06, 2008
type ./emctl stop agent
then do
./emctl start agent
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by jimblaze(m): 11:09pm On Jul 06, 2008
i did that and it still gave me, environment variable oracle_sid not defined pls define it
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by LeMoor(m): 1:47am On Jul 07, 2008
instead of using the set option for the Oracle sid, use
export ORACLE_SID=sid.

Besides, how many times have you installed and unistalled Oracle on the computer. Because, even when you do an install, OUI does no clean up the registry, so EM might still be pointing to a previous intallation.
In this case you might have to do a manual registry clean up (please be careful when cleaning up your registry.
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by jimblaze(m): 6:22pm On Jul 07, 2008
i tired that too the export oracle sid and it said that export is not an internal or external command,i formatted my harddrive last month so this is the onl y install of oracle on my system,also it was working properly until i encounted this problem which i am determined to solve with your help grin
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by A40(m): 7:08pm On Jul 07, 2008
@Le Moor
But sometimes the reward is always worth the trouble dont you think?I am still waiting on your materials

@jimblaze
Maybe its the CD? is it original?
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by LeMoor(m): 8:53pm On Jul 07, 2008
A-40,
Check your email. I will send more as i have time

Jim, Lets take it from the top.

Then logon to the database as dba and run
select name from v$database;
Use the output to set your sid.

Then let me know the answer to the following questions

Que.1 - Why do you have to start Enterprise Manager, after a clean install, Oracle starts all the services for you. Was this service started at anytime, and did you stop it?
Que.2 - Log in to the database and check the account status of sysman and dbsnmp. sysman is the owner of grid/enterprise manager. Is any of them locked? Did you change the sysman password?
What about you Listener. Is it setup to point to the new database?

Then logon to the database as dba and run
select name from v$database;
Use the output to set your sid.
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by jimblaze(m): 9:31pm On Jul 07, 2008
@A-40,the cd is not original but despite that i have been using EM b4 this happened,
@ Le Moor i know my sid is orcl,even though i still ran select name from v$database and it gave me orcl,i then set the oracle_sid as orcl, but after that it still gave me the error, EM configuration issue C:\ORACLE\PRODUCT\10.1.0\DB_1\JIMSPC_ORCL NOT FOUND, now the answers to your question

1)i did not start it after a clean install, all the services were started,and i never stopped it,i just woke up one day and found out i could not log on to EM,so i then checked services and found out that oracledbconsoleorcl was stopped,which is strange because it starts automatically,i then tried to start it to no avail
2)checked dba_users and did not see any sysman account shocked,but the dbsnmp account is there and its open,and the listener points to the right database
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by jimblaze(m): 9:59pm On Jul 07, 2008
eeehh sorry the sysman account is actually there and its not locked grin
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by LeMoor(m): 10:08pm On Jul 07, 2008
I know you know that name of your sid. I was just running a process of elimination, since i am not there to see the machine. And I was kindda hoping, it might have been a case of misspelling.
I find it strange that you don't have a sysman user. Because by default, the sysman account is the owner of enterprise manager and grid control. And you really cant do anything without it. Whilst the dbsnmp account is the 'gateway' for gathering metrics from targets.

Do you get an TZ errors? timezone issues
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by jimblaze(m): 10:25pm On Jul 07, 2008
sorry,the sysman account is there i just didnt look hard enough cheesy, and i havent got any tz errors
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by LeMoor(m): 10:42pm On Jul 07, 2008
hmmm,
something isnt right.
How many Oracle Services do you have in you registry?

Are they all started now? And while you were installing, did you get any errors in the preconfig check you ignored?
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by pespes: 1:29pm On Jul 08, 2008
hello
i want to find out if u have knowledge about ETL tools and how a database like globus i.e .IBM could be used to migrate data to an oracle platform i.e. 10g.

I know about the OMW-ORACLE MIGRATION WORKBENCH,what additional knowledge on that cos i want to make a proposal to my company on such projects
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by LeMoor(m): 2:58pm On Jul 08, 2008
I have working knowedge of some ETL tools. But not Globus. We presently use Informatica for our data warehouse and reporting needs.
OWB is one of those tools that hasnt really garnared much recognition as an in-built oracle tool by larger firms. Mainly because of scalability issues.

What proposals do you want to send forward. Dataware housing is different from DBA, although related, they have different concepts. If you already use Globus, (which i believe a lot of banks in Nigeria use), then there is already a building block of the business requirements, and you probably won have to start from scratch.
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by A40(m): 8:58pm On Jul 08, 2008
@Le Moor
Thanks for the materials.I will definitely be awaiting a few more when i am done with that i need to know if you have anything on PL/SQL and RAC

@jimiblaze
I asked the same because i am having trouble with my EM as well, I cant even access the Administration page and i cant carry out a lot of operations on my EM
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by jimblaze(m): 12:03am On Jul 11, 2008
@Le Moor all my services are started except dbconsoleorcl which refuses to start and thats the main reason i cant run EM
@A-40 yea i know what u r going through wink
@ Le Moor,hey have u got anything on Globus?by the way whats Globus? smileyheared bout it when i asked a banker for a job and he said i should learn globus first
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by jimblaze(m): 8:35pm On Jul 12, 2008
and also Le Moor do u have anything on running oracle on HP-UX o/s?or any hp-ux tutorials?
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by ukwuomaku: 11:59am On Jul 14, 2008
there are Various methods to add new users in a database:

CREATE USER user_name IDENTIFIED BY password;

CREATE USER uwclass IDENTIFIED BY uwclass;

CREATE USER user IDENTIFIED {BY password |
EXTERNALLY}

[DEFAULT TABLESPACE tablespace]
[TEMPORARY TABLESPACE tablespace]
[ { QUOTA {n [K|M] | UNLIMITED} ON
tablespace } [, ,  ] ]
[PROFILE profile]
} [ ,  ];

u have to apply caution while doing this,i can also assist with the dumps, ukwuomakk@yahoo.com
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by LeMoor(m): 12:04pm On Jul 14, 2008
Just curious,

Why would you have to apply caution when creating a user?
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by A40(m): 6:13pm On Jul 16, 2008
@Le Moor
Maybe he means you should be careful with the system and object privileges you give them.Did you see my email i sent you a few questions?
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by LeMoor(m): 6:32pm On Jul 17, 2008
I havent seen it. Havent had the best of weeks.

We had a disk failure, and it took down one of our RAC nodes. Coincidentally, it corrupted and cleaned out the current redo log, so i have been in fire fighting mode since. Trying to recover the db,
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by larryoncol(m): 12:22am On Jul 18, 2008
Hey guys its been quite a while, how are we all doing missed ya, i just read up the DBA corner and saw that i have missed alot well i hope i fit in.

Now if your having a problem startin your EM and its associated with an oracle file there a probability that the file has been deleted, in most instance the file is already associated with the database so it impossible to replace. but there are options, lets say 3 of which one is a little bit tricky and if anybody has an opinion on these options please feel free to state them. After configuring routers and VPN concentrator for the past 6 to 7 months i might just be a little rusty.

1) If a database that you use practicem, you can as well delete it and create a new database using your DBCA (sounds very easy)

2) if you have data you cant afford to loose, You can delete the database after you have used OS commands to backup the datafiles and after you create a new database you can import your files back into the database using DP utility (advance and a little bit time comsuming)

3) Uninstall oracle using oracle universal installer, make sure that you delete all datafiles and directory, also make sure that you removes all oracle entries from your registry and the install a fresh copy of oracle.

there might be other solutions but as for me am very sure about this becasue i havebeen in the same situation b4,

thanks
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by A40(m): 6:16pm On Jul 18, 2008
@Le Moor
I am sorry about that have you been able to fix it up?i thought RAC allowed for redundancy
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by meleto: 6:19pm On Jul 18, 2008
Do you know that www. o-mattwealthlynks. webnode. com is giving free online wealth creation coaching?Visit them to have a teastof what financial freedom is all about
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by larryoncol(m): 9:54pm On Jul 18, 2008
pls for God take your financial matters some were else, this is the DBA corner and if it aint Database related then i suggest

YOU SHUT THE Bleep UP.

LATER
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by jimblaze(m): 5:41pm On Jul 19, 2008
hey guys i have done it oooo!i got EM working again,it miight seem small to all you oracle pros but hey am on my way oooo!by the grace of God

ENTERPRISE MANAGER PROBLEMS I ENCOUNTERED AND HOW I SOLVED THEM
PROBLEM:
Oracle EM was not opening anytime I tried to open it through internet explorer. I checked oracle services and found out that oracledbconsoleorcl was stopped which was unusual because its startup type is automatic. I tried to start it manually but it would not yield. I went to command prompt and ran EMCTL START and I got the following error : ORACLE_SID NOT DEFINED……PLS DEFINE IT, so I defined with the following command : SET ORACLE_SID=ORCL, I then tried to start emctl again but I got the following error: EM CONFIGURATION ISSUE NOT LOCATE C:\ORACLE\, 127.0.0.1_ORCL which was strange because there is no such folder in C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1 and the closest folder to it was localhost_orcl.
SOLUTION
Anyway I guessed that EM could not start because for some reason it was looking for the folder 127.0.0.1_orcl instead of localhost_orcl, 127.0.0.1 being my IP address (will confirm when next am online).
I then made a copy of the folder localhost_orcl and changed the name to 127.0.0.1 and pasted it in the same folder being Db_1.When back to command prompt and typed EMCTL START but I got another EM configuration issue saying that EM could not locate folder C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\oc4j\j2ee\OC4J_DBConsole_127.0.0.1_orcl, by the grace of our almighty GOD I figured out that I had to replace any folder name that had localhost to my IP address being 127.0.0.1, so as above I created duplicate folder and changed OC4J_DBCONSOLE_LOCALHOST_ORCL TO OC4J_DBConsole_127.0.0.1_orcl.When back to services and started oracledbconsoleorcl, when to internet explorer and PRAISE THE LORD!
Enterprise manager opened and I logged on.HALLELUYAH!
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by jimblaze(m): 5:44pm On Jul 19, 2008
and thanks to you guys too for all your input
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by A40(m): 1:26am On Jul 20, 2008
Congrats Man i guess you have learnt something new.Besides have you written your OCP's yet? I am also having problems with my EM but i am sure it has to do with my OS Oracle on Vista is a mess
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by larryoncol(m): 11:29am On Jul 20, 2008
hmm good one jimblaze at least you didnt have to go thru any of the tasky options that i offered. the problem we that you computer couldnt resolve localhost to 127.0.0.1 (loopback address) if that the case you might have as well done the resolution by yourself or correct it. you can do it by accessing this path on your system follow this directory (\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc) and edit the host using a text editor (notepad) then make a resolution
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by deebsman1(m): 3:10pm On Jul 20, 2008
@Le Moor
thanks bros for the encouragement u've been giving we young and upcoming dba's. keep it up.i have a redhat linux version 4, running on my laptop, but want to install oracle 10g on it, but don't know how to go about the configuration of linux for oracle 10g. can i get any help, link or material for doing that. thanks.my e-mail deebsman@yahoo.co.uk kiss
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by rollout40(m): 3:07pm On Jul 22, 2008
Please who can help me with the dumps for oracle 10g exams?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now / 15 Keyboard Shortcuts Every Computer Geek Should Know / 11 Reasons You Should Quit Facebook In 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.