Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,038 members, 7,818,067 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:49 AM

Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? (13916 Views)

Woman Births A Baby In A Classroom In Agatu, Benue State (photo) / Why Are There More Births In August? / 10 Interesting Things About Veiled Births (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by yek: 2:52pm On Jun 12, 2011
yam ! ! !
multiple births ! ! !       undecided

***goes back to kindergarten***
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by Dsense(m): 4:29pm On Jun 12, 2011
Funny grin
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jun 12, 2011
For those who are not genetically or biologically smart. . . .plz talk to your doctors.

Regions where yams are eaten in plenty, esp Ondo and Oyo tends to have multiple births.

It's the minerals/nutrients provided by the yams. There was a research on this a while ago. Someone should dig it up.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jun 12, 2011

[size=18pt]10,315 Pregnant Women Delivered 14,216 Children In The Last 15months[/size]
« on: May 11, 2011, 03:21 AM »

Medical experts at the Ondo State-owned Mother and Child Hospital in Akure, the state capital, have delivered 10,315 pregnant women of 14,216 children in the last 15 months since it was established by the Governor Olusegun Mimiko's administration.

The State Commissioner for Information, Mr. Ranti Akerele, who stated this during an interview with journalists in Akure on Monday, also explained that an average of 20 to 25 deliveries were recorded daily, making it the busiest hospital in the state and one of the busiest in Nigeria.

Akerele said the hospital was the first purpose-built state-of-the-art 100-bed facility dedicated to the care of pregnant women and children below five years.

read more here http://odili.net/news/source/2011/may/10/808.html

Multiple births.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by cxp: 5:16pm On Jun 12, 2011
let me enlighten some of y'all a little note just a little according to research Yam contains very essential active subtances called DIOSGENIN which acts as a percursors and acts on the sex hormones on humans invariably could alter or say lead to some usually production of sperms or eggs in male or female respectively, so inconclusion could note *could lead to fertilization of eggs which may result to twins or multiple birth* so ma advice is want to have multiple birth? Then consume lots of YAM *wink*
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by lagcity(m): 6:12pm On Jun 12, 2011
Diosgenin can be used to produce progesterone and other steroids. It can also be used to produce oral contraceptives. We are absolutely sure of these uses. All other claims is guesswork. LET'S SEE THE RESEARCH PAPER!
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by tpia5: 6:35pm On Jun 12, 2011
lagcity:

you are right. diet , alongside genetics, plays a huge role in physiology. i have heard this yam hypothesis before but no one has really mentioned that particular chemical in yam. i'm also interested in how the scientist(s) were able to determine that the cause is yam. i mean why not Ewedu (ewedu seems to be more exclusive to yoruba than yam) igbos eat lots of yam, too.

igbos eat a lot of yam and also cassava [as fufu and some other things]. I think they eat fufu more than pounded yam.

yorubas dont eat fufu or cassava as much as other areas. Cassava is mainly drunk as garri, or made into eba, but the places under discussion [ekiti especially] are known for pounded yam.

not sure what they eat in igbo ora but my guess would be amala, though i could be wrong.

ewedu might have been ruled out because it's not typically eaten with poundo.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by annawhite(f): 6:40pm On Jun 12, 2011
yam and twins?

could dog meat be responsible for lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed in calabar
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by MMM2(m): 6:57pm On Jun 12, 2011
annawhite
no
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by lagcity(m): 7:00pm On Jun 12, 2011
tpia@:

igbos eat a lot of yam and also cassava [as fufu and some other things]. I think they eat fufu more than pounded yam.

yorubas dont eat fufu or cassava as much as other areas. Cassava is mainly drunk as garri, or made into eba, but the places under discussion [[b]ekiti especially] are known for pounded yam.[/b]not sure what they eat in igbo ora but my guess would be amala, though i could be wrong.

igbos and yorubas eat yams and cassava a lot. infact they both have yam festivals because yam is so important to igbos and yorubas. yorubas drink a lot of garri too, and eat eba. so why don't we see the same phenomenon in igbos? if you say it is because of different response to drugs (pharmacogenetics), that might make sense. still, there isn't conclusive experiment that i know of which says yam is the culprit here.  

CORRECTION: ekiti are known for eating pounded yam for breakfast, lunch and dinner (i know this, i am ekiti, too) but they are not known for twins or multiple births; the yoruba (including ekiti) are known for multiple birth.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by lagcity(m): 7:02pm On Jun 12, 2011
annawhite:

yam and twins?

could dog meat be responsible for lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed in calabar

for what in calabar?
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by Princek12(m): 7:05pm On Jun 12, 2011
lagcity:

igbos and yorubas eat yams and cassava a lot. infact they both have yam festivals because yam is so important to igbos and yorubas. yorubas drink a lot of garri too, and eat eba. so why don't we see the same phenomenon in igbos? if you say it is because of different response to drugs (pharmacogenetics), that might make sense. still, there isn't conclusive experiment that i know of which says yam is the culprit here.  

CORRECTION: ekiti are known for eating pounded yam for breakfast, lunch and dinner (i know this, i am ekiti, too) but they are not known for twins or multiple births; the yoruba (including ekiti) are known for multiple birth.

Use your common sense. The author referred to a specie of yams, EKiti yams, as being responsible for high incident of multiple births. Presumably, Igbos and other Yorubas, aside from those who eat Ekiti yams, may not be having lots of multiple births because, even though they are eating yams, they are not eating Ekiti yams.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by tpia5: 7:10pm On Jun 12, 2011
lagcity:

^^i think igbos eat cassava almost as much as, or more than yam.

but in yorubaland, pounded yam takes priority especially in ekiti and ondo states.

amala takes priority in others.

igbos generally do not eat amala.

so i think we can safely say the level of yam consumption is higher among yorubas because they consume yams in a variety of ways, whereas igbos supplement their yam consumption with cassava. Not sure which commodity is consumed more in the east- yam or cassava.

yorubas, on the other hand, regard eba as generally lower than cassava and amala, a sort of "poor man's food", so to speak. And i believe eba is a fairly recent addition to the local cuisine anyway. Like less than 40 years old or so, though i'm not sure.

the mode of preparing the yams could also be a factor in the chemical or hormones released. Amala undergoes an intense heating process which probably denatures something somewhere- i havent studied this in detail yet.

pounding the yam could also break something down.

personally, i'm more curious about what seems to be the high incidence of males in yorubaland, than the twin thingy. Maybe because i'm not really surprised by the twin findings.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by tpia5: 7:11pm On Jun 12, 2011
Princek12:

Use your common sense. The author referred to a specie of yams, EKiti yams, as being responsible for high incident of multiple births. Presumably, Igbos and other Yorubas, aside from those who eat Ekiti yams, may not be having lots of multiple births because, even though they are eating yams, they are not eating Ekiti yams.

i doubt there's any such thing as ekiti yam.

the yams eaten across the southwest are generally the same species [plural].

the main difference is the level of consumption.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by Princek12(m): 7:20pm On Jun 12, 2011
tpia@:

i doubt there's any such thing as ekiti yam.

the yams eaten across the southwest are generally the same species [plural].

the main difference is the level of consumption.

I really don't know much about yams, but from the little I know, I have observed that yams come in different varieties; I think that it is possible that a specie of Ekiti yams does exist. Because I don't think the amount of consumption is the main factor, as you have correctly indicated that many Igbos and Yorubas do consume large amounts of yams but do not have such high incidence of multiple births, I do think that the specie of Ekiti yams is responsible for the multiple births.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by tpia5: 7:24pm On Jun 12, 2011
^^igbo ora in oyo state also has an unusually high number of twinnings.

it seems to be specifically higher among yorubas in general, with ekiti and a few places like igbo ora, at the peak.

i dont know if the fact that twins are welcomed and celebrated in the southwest, is also a factor.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by surebaby43(f): 7:29pm On Jun 12, 2011
let them continue with their yam and multiple, He has ready given them feel Education
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by ziga: 7:40pm On Jun 12, 2011
Kinda not surprised that the talks would end up this way. . . "Theory can't be true because some people perceive that Igbos eat more yam". LOL
Igbos yam eating abilities vs Yorubas yam eating abilities.

Actually, West Africa as a group has the highest rate of twins in the world, and among the 3 major tribes in Nigeria, Yoruba has the highest rates, and among the Yoruba people, the Ekitis as a group have been noticed to have very high rates of twins.

So far, the patterns do not suggest anything strongly genetic, but environmental, and the biggest suspect is the Yam, or maybe something in the soil. Genetics plays a stronger role in monozygotic (identical) twins.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by lagcity(m): 7:41pm On Jun 12, 2011
Princek12:

you are just daft. must you contribute when you don't know abt an issue? so you don't even know about yams yet you are mentioning "ekiti yams." where did you get the info that this high prevalence of multiple birth is only found among Ekiti ppl?
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by tpia5: 7:43pm On Jun 12, 2011
ziga:

Kinda not surprised that the talks would end up this way. . . "Theory can't be true because some people perceive that Igbos eat more yam". LOL
Igbos yam eating abilities vs Yorubas yam eating abilities.

Actually, West Africa as a group has the highest rate of twins in the world, and among the 3 major tribes in Nigeria, Yoruba has the highest rates, and among the Yoruba people, the Ekitis as a group have been noticed to have very high rates of twins.

So far, the patterns do not suggest anything strongly genetic, but environmental, and the biggest suspect is the Yam, or maybe something in the soil. Genetics plays a stronger role in monozygotic (identical) twins.

"level of yam consumption" is a more appropriate term, not "yam eating abilities".
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jun 12, 2011
Why does the front page say "Ekiti Yams" when the article itself didnt? error, I suppose.

The same types of yams in Ekiti are also grown in its Neighboring states. So it shoouldnt be based on yams or coco yams, but the high consumption.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by romeo(m): 8:10pm On Jun 12, 2011
engineerd:

u are an i d i o t  ! can u talk to your sister like dat well i don't blame u, u are an igbo boy, your culture won't let u know any better! freakin scum of the earth!

Yam eating obviously affected your brain cells as a kid, dirty people.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Jun 12, 2011
romeo:

Yam eating obviously affected your brain cells as a kid, dirty people.
And apku must have rotted yours, if you could let your brother say such to a woman. Lack of home training is una's problem in that SE sha, thatz why I dont bother with una when you go down that path.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by romeo(m): 8:16pm On Jun 12, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

And apku must have rotted yours, if you could let your brother say such to a woman. Lack of home training is una's problem in that SE sha, thatz why I dont bother with una when you go down that path.

who is this? undecided undecided undecided

You were insulted by his post? I believed you both had somethng in the past that warranted such a response or don't you think so? Yes we lack home training in the east and we also lack area boys
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by nat138: 8:21pm On Jun 12, 2011
tpia@:

i think fiji or somewhere around that area.

their yams seem to be bigger than africa's own.

though west africa is the heaviest producer of yams.

Brazil also produces a lot of yams as well
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by Nobody: 8:22pm On Jun 12, 2011
nat138:

Brazil also produces a lot of yams as well

Lots of Yorubas and Yoruba descendants in Brazil. Go figure.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Jun 12, 2011
romeo:

who is this? undecided undecided undecided

You were insulted by his post? I believed you both had somethng in the past that warranted such a response or don't you think so? Yes we lack home training in the east and we also lack area boys

This warranted insults:

I want triplets. All male.

Its not your fault. I said it's the home you were brought up in. I bet you'd smile if he had called your bearer a chihuahua. Oloshi feeling funky.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by marabout(m): 8:28pm On Jun 12, 2011
igbo boy:

only 3? Ah ah your toto wey don lose elasticity go fit handle octuplet nau  shocked

So all the physics you did at school na only "toto elasticity" you remember. Your teacher needs to be sacked with immediate alacrity. grin grin
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by romeo(m): 8:35pm On Jun 12, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Its not your fault. I said it's the home you were brought up in. I bet you'd smile if he had called your bearer a chihuahua. Oloshi feeling funky.

Keep singing home training like if you know what that means! Hypocrite.

He attacked your person and did not mention Yoruba culture, Did you recognise the poster from previous threads? or this is the first time you both are talking? that was my question because unless you know each other his post did not make a sense. But did not warrant an insult on entire igbo people.

But i know you think differently about that by the way you go about home training in the east.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by Nobody: 8:36pm On Jun 12, 2011
romeo:

Keep singing home training like if you know what that means! Hypocrite.

He attacked your person and did not mention Yoruba culture, Did you recognise the poster from previous threads? or this is the first time you both are talking? that was my question because unless you know each other his post did not make a sense. But did not warrant an insult on entire igbo people.

But i know you think differently about that by the way you go about home training in the east.

Find another thread to bark on, eventually you'll find your bearer.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by MeandSum: 8:39pm On Jun 12, 2011
tpia@:

personally, i'm more curious about what seems to be the high incidence of males in yorubaland, than the twin thingy. Maybe because i'm not really surprised by the twin findings.

According to my grandma, high incidence of male birth means there's a war in the future smiley
Basically, you can say the gods has  F***ed us with their blessing again LOL
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by romeo(m): 9:38pm On Jun 12, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Find another thread to bark on, eventually you'll find your bearer.

Like if i came looking for you, You qouted me first didn't you?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

LASG Commences Construction Of 1,500-Bed Psychiatric Hospital In Epe (Pictures) / Unripe Plantain As Curative Agent For Iron Deficiency And Diabetes / Ebola Vaccine Works, Offering 100% Protection In African Trial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.