Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,044 members, 7,818,140 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:48 AM

Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? (13917 Views)

Woman Births A Baby In A Classroom In Agatu, Benue State (photo) / Why Are There More Births In August? / 10 Interesting Things About Veiled Births (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by Nobody: 10:55pm On Jun 12, 2011
romeo:

Yam eating obviously affected your brain cells as a kid, dirty people.

LOL, it affected my brain cells for the better, trust me! God deserves the praises for that! case closed, Let me get back to my YAM porridge.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by emmatok(m): 10:58pm On Jun 12, 2011
Yam is believed to be helpful to the liver and endocrine system. It regulates the female system, particularly during menstrual distress and menopause,as well as used in treating infertility. Used with chasteberry and dandelion it is an effective treatment for morning sickness[citation needed].
Usually found wild in the eastern half of North America, it is a perennial plant that is a low creeper, and occupies average to poor soils and full sun.
It has been hypothesized 1 that wild yam ( Dioscorea villosa and other Dioscorea species) possesses dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA)-like properties and acts as a precursor to human sex hormones such as estrogen and progesterone 2. Based on this proposed mechanism, extracts of the plant have been used to treat painful menstruation, hot flashes, and headaches associated with menopause[

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dioscorea_villosa

That woman no lie  o o o
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by logica(m): 12:23am On Jun 13, 2011
There is a particular type of yam selected for making pounded yam; as of course it produces the best (stretchy) pounded yam. I can't remember what it's called. There are really different types of yam, and any seasoned Ekiti who knows enough about how pounded yam is made will tell you that much. Though it is produced everywhere, it is the type that is consumed most by Ekiti people.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by igboboy1(m): 1:25am On Jun 13, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

And apku must have rotted yours, if you could let your brother say such to a woman. Lack of home training is una's problem in that SE sha, thatz why I dont bother with una when you go down that path.
u seem bothered though, grow a tough skin girl cos the world is not all rosy cozy lovey dovey wink
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by igboboy1(m): 1:28am On Jun 13, 2011
marabout:

So all the physics you did at school na only "toto elasticity" you remember. Your teacher needs to be sacked with immediate alacrity. grin grin

All forms of elasticity join o, whether na toto elasticity or molecular elasticity even the one for economics such as inelastic demand join too,

Abeg my teacher try
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by igboboy1(m): 1:31am On Jun 13, 2011
engineerd:

u are an i d i o t  ! can u talk to your sister like dat well i don't blame u, u are an igbo boy, your culture won't let u know any better! freakin scum of the earth!

shocked shocked If we wan talk culture dont even get me started, someone that is related to bankole, abiola, obj, tokyo, bode george, Fashanu, tinubu, is here talking about culture. WHAT CULTURE? NNA HAPU that one cos u no go fit win this one
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by Nobody: 2:46am On Jun 13, 2011
igbo boy:

u seem bothered though, grow a tough skin girl cos the world is not all rosy cozy lovey dovey   wink

ROTFLMAO!!!
Very bothered, of course.  wink

engineerd:

LOL, it affected my brain cells for the better, trust me! God deserves the praises for that! case closed, Let me get back to my YAM porridge.

Lol let them be my dear. I wouldnt even have responded if he hadnt insulted you. These Igbo boys have no home training, that's why I never bother to reply. They speak the same way to their females at home, that's why they kill their women so easily kiss
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by Nobody: 2:50am On Jun 13, 2011
emmatok:

Yam is believed to be helpful to the liver and endocrine system. It regulates the female system, particularly during menstrual distress and menopause,as well as used in treating infertility. Used with chasteberry and dandelion it is an effective treatment for morning sickness[citation needed].
Usually found wild in the eastern half of North America, it is a perennial plant that is a low creeper, and occupies average to poor soils and full sun.
It has been hypothesized 1 that wild yam ( Dioscorea villosa and other Dioscorea species) possesses dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA)-like properties and acts as a precursor to human sex hormones such as estrogen and progesterone 2. Based on this proposed mechanism, extracts of the plant have been used to treat painful menstruation, hot flashes, and headaches associated with menopause[

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dioscorea_villosa

That woman no lie  o o o

Thanks. . . . . but Ekiti does not have the highest rate of multiple birth in Nigeria, it goes to either Oyo or Ondo.

logica:

There is a particular type of yam selected for making pounded yam; as of course it produces the best (stretchy) pounded yam. I can't remember what it's called. There are really different types of yam, and any seasoned Ekiti who knows enough about how pounded yam is made will tell you that much. Though it is produced everywhere, it is the type that is consumed most by Ekiti people.

There's no particular yam that is grown in Ekiti and not in Ondo state.

And since Ekiti doesnt have the highest multiple birth rate, why are you still looking for a particular yam?

I know that there are diff kinds of yams : white, yellow etc yams. But they're still grown in neighboring states. It's the level of consumption. From isu aro, iyan, yam and beans etc. . . . there is relatively a high consumption of yams in Ekiti.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by tpia5: 5:14am On Jun 13, 2011
logica:

there's no particular type of yam exclusively consumed by ekiti people.

the different yam you're mentioning is probably wateryam which is eaten more in ijebu area, but that doesnt mean it also isnt eaten across yorubaland.

it just cant be made into pounded yam, that's all.

this isnt rocket science or magic abeg.

igbo ora in oyo state also has a high twinning rate but they probably eat amala more than pounded yam.

una no dey hear word ni.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by tpia5: 5:18am On Jun 13, 2011
MeandSum:

According to my grandma, high incidence of male birth means there's a war in the future smiley
Basically, you can say the gods has  F***ed us with their blessing again LOL

really?

it's not a new thing though- i mean the high number of males. I think its always been like that.

however, this doesnt mean there are more males than females.

males possibly seem to be more because of the widespread geography in the southwest.

i think other areas like the north and southsouth/southeaste/midwest also have the same.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by Sissy3(f): 6:00am On Jun 13, 2011
thought they said it was the igbo-ora ppl?
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by lagcity(m): 6:47am On Jun 13, 2011
tpia@:

really?

it's not a new thing though- i mean the high number of males. I think its always been like that.

i have never heard of this occurence. are males much more than 50% in the general population or among twins? which one?
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by logica(m): 7:04am On Jun 13, 2011
@tpia,

I think it pays more when you pay attention and read properly before responding. I said there is a particular type of yam SELECTED for making pounded yam which makes it the type mostly consumed by Ekiti people. LOL @ Water yam. You have no clue.

And for the person who says the different types of yam are "white, yellow", it appears you are a fake Ekiti person. No real Ekiti person will categorize yam by color. The categories you will hear are along the lines of "egbodo", etc. Maybe you should ask your grand-mother.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by Nobody: 8:56am On Jun 13, 2011
Interesting hypothesis!
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by tpia5: 10:32am On Jun 13, 2011
@ logica

thesame type of yam selected for pounding in ekiti, is also used for the same in other parts of the southwest. There's no magic or lucky numbers involved.

My point about wateryam was that's the major variation on the standard yam that i know of.

Other minor variations on the type of yam include those hairy ones, the yellow type (not very common), etc. However, all of these are used to make pounded yam anywhere in yorubaland.

Trust me- i've been to enough "ases" and peeled my share of yam in nigeria.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by tpia5: 10:35am On Jun 13, 2011
However @ topic

one cannot also rule out a genetic factor here,  because its entirely possible not everyone will respond to the chemicals in the yam the same way.

lagcity:

i have never heard of this occurence. are males much more than 50% in the general population or among twins? which one?

dont know the percentage, but yorubas have a very high incidence of males in general.

likewise the north, southsouth, southeast, midwest.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by romeo(m): 11:48am On Jun 13, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Lol let them be my dear. I wouldnt even have responded if he hadnt insulted you. These Igbo boys have no home training, that's why I never bother to reply. They speak the same way to their females at home, that's why they kill their women so easily kiss

Same way we don't have all these "well home trained area boys in Lagos and other Yoruba villages", LWKMD. Igbo people kill their women? Dirty people and it's an accredited fact cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by logica(m): 12:28pm On Jun 13, 2011
tpia@:

@ logica

thesame type of yam selected for pounding in ekiti, is also used for the same in other parts of the southwest. There's no magic  or lucky numbers involved.
Yes there is. Ever heard of the type of yam called "Efuru"? I'll bet you haven't. And that's the difference between Ekiti pounded yam and the rest - they hardly realize that a particular type of yam is best for pounding, and will likely use any type they come across. There is skill involved in knowing the actual type that's best before cooking because there appear to be no real visual discriminator. Even most Ekitis will simply cook all the yam and then pick out the efuru from the lot for pounding.

But of course, I am not stating that efuru is definitely responsible for multiple births; I am only of the opinion that it should not be discounted. Also, the other area in Osun state with a high rate of multiple births DOES NOT have to be yam related. There could be completely different factors at play here.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by sley4life(m): 12:55pm On Jun 13, 2011
ive been eating roasted yam lately
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by klear(f): 1:22pm On Jun 13, 2011
Yams=multiple births! grin
I pray no illiterate man( whose wife is yet 2 give birth )will hear dis & den force feed his wife 2 eat yams pending wen she will give birth. grin
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by tpia5: 5:05pm On Jun 13, 2011
Lagcity

i dont think your analysis is correct about ekiti being the only ones who know what type of yam is best for pounding.

Efuru doesnt sound familiar to me but that could be because you didnt add the pronounciation.

As i pointed out, i've attended too many "ases" to count, and many times i wasnt there as an observer but as one of the "workers". So i know how yam is selected for pounding, hopefully i havent forgotten the details.

But as far as variety goes, most of the yams consumed as cooked yams, can also be made into pounded yam, with the exception of wateryams.

I do see your point however.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jun 13, 2011
logica:

@tpia,

I think it pays more when you pay attention and read properly before responding. I said there is a particular type of yam SELECTED for making pounded yam which makes it the type mostly consumed by Ekiti people. LOL @ Water yam. You have no clue.

And for the person who says the different types of yam are "white, yellow", it appears you are a fake Ekiti person. No real Ekiti person will categorize yam by color. The categories you will hear are along the lines of "egbodo", etc. Maybe you should ask your grand-mother.

Thank you, and you must be the only real Ekiti person on NL.

Like we've been saying, its not the yam but the manner of consumption. No difference between Ekiti/Ondo/Oyo etc yams or how it's been picked.

Once again, Ekiti doesnt even hold the highest record for multiple births in Nigeria, so what are you still saying? undecided
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by armyofone(m): 5:47pm On Jun 13, 2011
i love wateryam there are variety of wateryam itself. i rembember 3 diff kind of wateryam. they have similar skin type though.
the whitish ones are great for akara, ikokore, etc. now am hungry of wateryam.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by tpia5: 8:06pm On Jun 13, 2011
And btw @ logica 

i have to disagree with your assumption about good pounded yam only being found in ekiti.

I've had pounded yam in ibadan that matches anywhere for quality.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by logica(m): 12:35am On Jun 14, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Once again, Ekiti doesnt even hold the highest record for multiple births in Nigeria, so what are you still saying? undecided
So holding the highest record means exactly what? So when you hear something like "Ekiti multiple births are caused by yam", in your mind, it should mean "Ekiti has the highest number of multiple births"? Logic is missing from your thoughts.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by Pafuri(m): 5:21pm On Jun 14, 2011
Madame 1st lady, this is no news. Time Magazine did a story on it some 20 years ago.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by firestar(f): 5:58pm On Jun 14, 2011
Hm. cheesy
Seems like yams are pricey this time of the year: 5 tubers for N800. Dry tubers that's sweet and stretchy.
Idi-Ileke, ''I want triplets. All male." grin
Identical? So do I.Whatever their sex.
May it come to pass. wink
Prayers.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by OmoOlorun: 7:18am On Jun 15, 2011
Igbo-Ora
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Igbo-Ora is a town in Oyo State, south-western Nigeria, situated 80 kilometres (50 mi) north of Lagos. As of 2001, the population of the town was approximately 60,000 people. The unusually large number of twin births in the region have earned the town the nickname Twin Capital of the World.
This phenomenon of a large number of twin births is not unique to Igbo-Ora; it has also been observed in the town of Kodinji in India and Cândido Godói in Brasil. In Igbo-Ora, research has suggested that the multiple births could be related to the eating habits of the women in the region.[1] Though no direct relation between dietary intake and twin births has been proved, a research study carried out at the University of Lagos Teaching Hospital has suggested that a chemical found in Igbo-Ora women and the peelings of a widely consumed tuber (yams) could be responsible.
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jun 15, 2011
firestar:

Hm. cheesy
Seems like yams are pricey this time of the year: 5 tubers for N800. Dry tubers that's sweet and stretchy.
Idi-Ileke, ''I want triplets. All male." grin
Identical? So do I.Whatever their sex.
May it come to pass. wink
Prayers.

LOL Abi. Amin Ashe!! grin

logica:

So holding the highest record means exactly what? So when you hear something like "Ekiti multiple births are caused by yam", in your mind, it should mean "Ekiti has the highest number of multiple births"? Logic is missing from your thoughts.

Obviously you cannot read. Who said Ekiti has the highest number of twins? They dont, get over it. There is o particular yam that is grown specifically in Ekiti or a particular yam they use for iyan that is not being used in Ondo. Remember that Ondo and Ekiti were once 1 state (less than 25 years ago).
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by favouredjb(f): 7:36pm On Jun 15, 2011
yam is my favourite food

and i ll have multiple births ijn
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by folahann(m): 1:23am On Jul 10, 2011
Whenever I travel home, I consume IYAN everyday of my stay in Ikere-Ekiti.

Pounded yam goes very well with egusi, efo riro, Okro, sapa and the likes, how I miss home
Re: Yam Eating Is Responsible For Multiple Births In Ekiti? by tpia5: 3:44am On Jul 10, 2011
mouth watering.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

LASG Commences Construction Of 1,500-Bed Psychiatric Hospital In Epe (Pictures) / Unripe Plantain As Curative Agent For Iron Deficiency And Diabetes / Ebola Vaccine Works, Offering 100% Protection In African Trial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.