Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,781 members, 7,827,886 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:32 PM

My Dad Still Treats Me Like A Kid Despite My Age - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Dad Still Treats Me Like A Kid Despite My Age (23397 Views)

I Don't Know My Age, And It's Disturbing / Help!!! My Dad Still Smoking Weed In His Old Age!!! / At 26 My Dad Still Flogs Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Dad Still Treats Me Like A Kid Despite My Age by gidado14(m): 10:58am On Dec 13, 2021
NnolimNzubechi:
Hello Nairalanders

My mom died when I was 3 years, and I was the only child she had before she died.

It's been just me and My Dad since then, My childhood was a lonely one. My Dad is 39 years while me am 19years, I will be 20 next year. My dad was young when my mom gave birth to me.

Now my problem is that, despite my age my dad still cages me, he doesn't give me freedom and he doesn't allow me to keep friends, any time he sees me talking with a male friend, he will tell me he doesn't want to see me with anybody, I can't be out side when time done pass 6pm oo or else Na wahala.

At 19 years I can't boast of 1k cos am always staying at his shop, and the thing is driving me crazy. As a man, checking my account balance and seeing (N0.00) dey make me sad, and I don't know how to tell him that I want to stop going to his shop and start a hustling for myself.

I just finished my secondary school and I thought he would give me some free hand but for where?? He gets more strict as time as goes on and its making me hate him. And my dad is a very hot tempered man, he nor dey understand at all at all. Am even tired of staying with him, I have been with him since 19 years, travel he nor dey gree make I travel.

My question is, will he ever stop being like this? I don't want any one to delay me in my life cos it seems it's what he is trying to do, i want to be wealthy at a young age. Being broke makes me feel less of a man.

Please mods move to fp,before I go run commot for house embarassed
who feeds you? who buy cloth for you? where do you work? my guy if you don't have any of the question I asked you are still a baby just let him continue babysitting untill you get those.

Re: My Dad Still Treats Me Like A Kid Despite My Age by promiseland245(m): 10:59am On Dec 13, 2021
Your level of reasoning is the reason why your dad still sees you as a kid.
Just by reading your story one can pinpoint that obvious fact that you still have a lot of growing up to do.
Using the word "hate" in the same sentence with your dad shows how shallow your mind is.
This is what you would do, get close to your dad, make him your friend, show in depth interest about the business and tell him you want to know more, tell your dad to show you the way, as him some life related issues and with time your dad would be the one staying in the shop while you go out to hustle.
He is scared that if he let you be, you might make errors any sensible parent feels that way.
God bless you young chap.
NnolimNzubechi:
Hello Nairalanders

My mom died when I was 3 years, and I was the only child she had before she died.

It's been just me and My Dad since then, My childhood was a lonely one. My Dad is 39 years while me am 19years, I will be 20 next year. My dad was young when my mom gave birth to me.

Now my problem is that, despite my age my dad still cages me, he doesn't give me freedom and he doesn't allow me to keep friends, any time he sees me talking with a male friend, he will tell me he doesn't want to see me with anybody, I can't be out side when time done pass 6pm oo or else Na wahala.

At 19 years I can't boast of 1k cos am always staying at his shop, and the thing is driving me crazy. As a man, checking my account balance and seeing (N0.00) dey make me sad, and I don't know how to tell him that I want to stop going to his shop and start a hustling for myself.

I just finished my secondary school and I thought he would give me some free hand but for where?? He gets more strict as time as goes on and its making me hate him. And my dad is a very hot tempered man, he nor dey understand at all at all. Am even tired of staying with him, I have been with him since 19 years, travel he nor dey gree make I travel.

My question is, will he ever stop being like this? I don't want any one to delay me in my life cos it seems it's what he is trying to do, i want to be wealthy at a young age. Being broke makes me feel less of a man.

Re: My Dad Still Treats Me Like A Kid Despite My Age by lereinter(m): 10:59am On Dec 13, 2021
Your dad birth to you when he was 20yrs

He doesn't want you to
Re: My Dad Still Treats Me Like A Kid Despite My Age by Ungodly: 11:01am On Dec 13, 2021
NnolimNzubechi:
Hello Nairalanders

bro you can never gain anything from being caged by your father and at the same time you can’t leave home without proper reason as to why you want to do that… further your studies in the uni or a polytechnic that’s the only way you can be free… time dey go oo, small time now you go turn 25 and you’d realize you don’t have money to buy yourself or your siblings their basic needs because you’re in a cage… write your jamb and your post utme well then leave home period. And make sure you open your eye and your senses when you get to school make you no graduate finish come still dey lobby for your papa house because you’d later come back to meet what you ran away from. Drops pen �
Re: My Dad Still Treats Me Like A Kid Despite My Age by meetdonald(m): 11:03am On Dec 13, 2021
Enjoy this Cage while it last.
As clearly loves you.
Re: My Dad Still Treats Me Like A Kid Despite My Age by BusinessDream: 11:05am On Dec 13, 2021
Freestainworld:
In all the things you said, you never mentioned above furthering your studies, only money, money and money, be calming down kid, and plan your life better, you may think he is caging you now, but later you will understand.
Gbam... tells you the kind of things he has been hearing from his friends. This is what happens to most kids being cages sha.
Re: My Dad Still Treats Me Like A Kid Despite My Age by uuzba(m): 11:07am On Dec 13, 2021
Your dad is 39 years, and you are 19 years.
ie, your dad was 39-19 years (20 years) when you were born.

You now that are 19 years, what are you still doing under his roof?
When he was 20 years, he has already found his way, married your mum and born you.
Re: My Dad Still Treats Me Like A Kid Despite My Age by eneazi(f): 11:11am On Dec 13, 2021
All these lamentation and nothing in about going futher in school, all i see make money, and no mention of any skills acquired. Trust me you'd be grateful to him in the nearest future.

PS: I bet your dad have seen/still seeing what young boys your age involve in just to make money, and he is trying to protect from that, because him don see say your eye sef no come down for money side.
Re: My Dad Still Treats Me Like A Kid Despite My Age by suffering: 11:15am On Dec 13, 2021
You and your father are children, Jesus! No wonder one can never have peace in this forum with these ill-bred teenagers constantly throwing insults. I do not care for your matter. Children will always behave as such. One of you will grow up one day, either you or him.
Re: My Dad Still Treats Me Like A Kid Despite My Age by DonJuan13: 11:16am On Dec 13, 2021
Here for the comments, so nairalanders can be this empathic. Hmmmm wonders shall never end. Kid, these replies are the best words Ive read on here so you'd be doing yourself a favor by reading and trying to adhere. Good luck in your endeavors.
Re: My Dad Still Treats Me Like A Kid Despite My Age by Limassol(m): 11:18am On Dec 13, 2021
I feel your pain bro, infact, i went through somewhat similar to what you just described. At times it drives me crazy,and makes me to think of doing something outrageous,like uping and leave but boy,the odds are stacked against me. However my suggestion is these: make sure you write jamb and apply to an out-of-state institution, that would likely lessen the friction as you would see and interact with him less. Another option is to enlist in the millitary/paramilitary( I suggest this because goverment jobs comes with stability), if that proved elusive, your likely last resort may be to delve into the job market even with your low qualification. The old man may meant well for you, yet he is a dream killer, and take it frome me, the sooner you leave that dungeon the better. I'M ROOTING FOR YOUR MAN!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Dad Still Treats Me Like A Kid Despite My Age by Meloski(m): 11:19am On Dec 13, 2021
Op!!!......, have u seen someone who is enjoying a stressful and terrible freedom, u should thank God he gave u a dad catering for you, sorry to say but you are just in a haste, am not trying to be nagetive but, at 19yrs you don't really think to be a millonier over night even if you were given freedom as you're demanding, see the best thing is to excercise patience and focused very soon u gonna be in varsity or whatever then you will get your freedom, sometimes if i hear or come across people complaining of such am like you not serious, know this you are too eager for success if will cost you your relationship between u & dad like u said you are developing hatered for your dad and thinking to go out side, be smart reason straight u don't wanna see the so called hustle part of life, be obedient and do accordingly as directed. One of my favorite qoutes "a word is enough for a wise".
Re: My Dad Still Treats Me Like A Kid Despite My Age by sleek82(m): 11:19am On Dec 13, 2021
Please understand that regardless of how old you are, you will always be his baby and much so the only precious soul he has to look out for after your mum's passing. Your dad will loosen the ropes after you prove to him you have become a man. Don't think it's all by making money that will prove your adulthood, sometimes decision making can prove this to him also. Take charge of your surroundings, run his business or shop like it's yours and focus on becoming a great man, he will loosen the ropes when he sees all these attributes in you. Study hard and get into the university (please don't join cult)....he will surely treat you like an adult in no time!
Re: My Dad Still Treats Me Like A Kid Despite My Age by AKWATGOLD1(m): 11:20am On Dec 13, 2021
Guy, you should give kudos to your father for him to singlehandedly cater for you for over the years of your mother's demise. And you have the gut to say you hate your father. Your father has shown you his line of business which you refused. Your daddy wants you to be focus so that you will not be distracted in achieving his goal instead you want flex your life in the other way. Pls be focus with Father, is a GOOD MAN.

NnolimNzubechi:
Hello Nairalanders

Re: My Dad Still Treats Me Like A Kid Despite My Age by ABANGWABOI(m): 11:20am On Dec 13, 2021
So men eeh...
Wetin stop your father from marrying again and having other kids..

Now em dn turn this poor boy to a handbag..
Op tell your father to go and marry. He is still young..

1 Like

Re: My Dad Still Treats Me Like A Kid Despite My Age by matm: 11:20am On Dec 13, 2021
If ur father or mother is still alive and they feed u,u are a kid.So,don't worry,u will soon become a man and face man's responsibilities and pains with no assistance from anyone.
Re: My Dad Still Treats Me Like A Kid Despite My Age by membranus: 11:22am On Dec 13, 2021
Struggle to get admission to a higher institution far from home and you will be free.
Re: My Dad Still Treats Me Like A Kid Despite My Age by membranus: 11:24am On Dec 13, 2021
Limassol:
I feel your pain bro, infact, i went through somewhat similar to what you just described. At times it drives me crazy,and makes me to think of doing something outrageous,like uping and leave but boy,the odds are stacked against me. However my suggestion is these: make sure you write jamb and apply to an out-of-state institution, that would likely lessen the friction as you would see and interact with him less. Another option is to enlist in the millitary/paramilitary( I suggest this because goverment jobs comes with stability), if that proved elusive, your likely last resort may be to delve into the job market even with your low qualification. The old man may meant well for you, yet he is a dream killer, and take it frome me, the sooner you leave that dungeon the better. I'M ROOTING FOR YOUR MAN!
A good advice. Do this and you will be free.
Re: My Dad Still Treats Me Like A Kid Despite My Age by container331(f): 11:24am On Dec 13, 2021
NnolimNzubechi:
Hello Nairalanders My Dad is 39 years while me am 19years, I will be 20 next year.

At 19 years

I just finished my secondary school.
at19 are younot a kid
Re: My Dad Still Treats Me Like A Kid Despite My Age by Limassol(m): 11:27am On Dec 13, 2021
Freestainworld:
In all the things you said, you never mentioned above furthering your studies, only money, money and money, be calming down kid, and plan your life better, you may think he is caging you now, but later you will understand.
Not even in 50 years from now will this sort of parenting be acceptable. Like i said, the Father may meant well, yet research has shown such parenting methods are not only ineffective but also pose negative longterm effects.

1 Like

Re: My Dad Still Treats Me Like A Kid Despite My Age by Nobody: 11:30am On Dec 13, 2021
NnolimNzubechi:
Hello Nairalanders

Guy!

You father is protective cos he doesnt want you make the same mistake he made. He was too young when he had you, and then he lost your mom. Do you know what he went through to take care of you?

But at the same time over protecting you is now becoming something else. And it is a disadvantage for you.

Listen, such man wont let you go. I know what I am saying. Only option is to take the bull by the horn. And to do that it means you will never depend on him again. Are you ready?

Listen, he cannot do you anytning if you tell him to clear off politely. Never. If he tries shit, he will go to jail. You are submissive cos you have no alternative. If you want a way out, the way is to leave and start hustling. He will do "gragra", but if you stay on your point, he will clear off. He will call the whole world, try to bully you, if you stand firm and tell him to clear off, he will. He will curse, as he is doing it, just start saying back to sender inside you. Nothing will happen to you.

But if you are going to do the above, be ready to carry your own load. Are you ready to carry your load? Can you feed yourself? Can you hustle your own money? When you enter this level, that's when you realise to stay with him and be a zombie may be better. grin Guy, outside hot. That's the truth. No job. You no dey read how grown up men and women dey beg here? You no dey see how dem dey go pot into yahoo level? And on top, they know they have limited time to spend the hot money them dey go for.

Well, endure and hustle enter school and from there take charge of your life. The best way out for you is to go to school and live on campus. Go to school outside the state he lives. And if you are not the book type who has abandoned education, e don be on you be that. That demon father of yours will misuse your whole life. I have met people like that. So, start building your confidence to get out and be a man.

Goodluck!
Re: My Dad Still Treats Me Like A Kid Despite My Age by vickydevoka(m): 11:31am On Dec 13, 2021
Freestainworld:
Exactly. Buh his is honest with his expression
Re: My Dad Still Treats Me Like A Kid Despite My Age by rolams(m): 11:34am On Dec 13, 2021
All I have to say is "I am old enough to be your father"

Responsible father's are caring!
Re: My Dad Still Treats Me Like A Kid Despite My Age by Crenzywilliams(m): 11:35am On Dec 13, 2021
LilMissFavvy:
The only thing that will loose you from the shackles of your dad's stronghold is leaving home to school, or work grin . By the time you are ready to start university or learn a trade you will have more freedom for yourself. Continue to be patient, because I believe the circumstances of your mum's death must have hurt him badly. It's bad that he doesn't give you enough financial support, you just have to manage and be content with the little you have.
What's this one even saying? Enough financial support? Did he tell you he lacks anything? He said seeing 0.00 in his account balance makes him feel less of a man, oboy, who u wan brag to, you're on his shop, learning s trade, relax and learn it, he's not delaying you, who do u think own everything when he's gone, what I think u need to do now is talk to him, let him know u feel caged and you want to explore,dont be rude if u don't get a slap on your face, hopefully he'll give u some.
Re: My Dad Still Treats Me Like A Kid Despite My Age by pyro10(m): 11:43am On Dec 13, 2021
You mean Soweto high temple ? tongue
ahnie:
Freedom is coming to Soweto sooner than expected.
Re: My Dad Still Treats Me Like A Kid Despite My Age by BABANGBALI: 11:44am On Dec 13, 2021
Omo listen to your father, don’t allow your search for freedom destroy you and your future
Re: My Dad Still Treats Me Like A Kid Despite My Age by LadyMedina25(f): 11:48am On Dec 13, 2021
Stop getting it all wrong... you are the only one he sees his wife in.... I guess hes scared of loosing you the way he lost her
Re: My Dad Still Treats Me Like A Kid Despite My Age by Benwallt(m): 11:52am On Dec 13, 2021
NnolimNzubechi:
Hello Nairalanders

You a boy or girl
Re: My Dad Still Treats Me Like A Kid Despite My Age by Born2Breed(f): 11:53am On Dec 13, 2021
That over caging you dey complain about na fatherly love.

A person who has lost someone close is always scared of losing another loved one.

Think about your education cos the way u dey talk about money money the man dey fear make u not go join yahoo yahoo plus hence his overprotective.

Once you are in school na you go dey miss your old man.
Re: My Dad Still Treats Me Like A Kid Despite My Age by Olayetan(m): 11:53am On Dec 13, 2021
Freestainworld:

He's so all over money when he's supposed to be focus on his education, i think he's being intimidated by his age mate.
Re: My Dad Still Treats Me Like A Kid Despite My Age by MMXX: 11:54am On Dec 13, 2021
Just be patient with him bro, you'll soon get your desired freedom once you're admitted into any institution cool

But right now,enjoy "daddy thank you sir" cos e no easy out there and money no easy to come by cry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

' I Sold My Child For N4M And I Want Him Back Now' / Woman Welcomes Quintuplets In Calabar After 10 Years Of Childlessness (Photo) / Baby Rescued Alive From Toilet Pipe After Being Flushed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.