Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,368 members, 7,954,491 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:18 PM

Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? (18910 Views)

Fundall.io Will Give You N500 For Everyone You Refer To Their Platform / "What Africans Refer To As Home Training Is Emotional Abuse" - Man / "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by koolaid87: 6:47am On Dec 28, 2021
Its offensive to refer to anyone on this planet earth
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Sleekfingers: 7:55am On Dec 28, 2021
izzy4shizzy:

Short and fat na different things chief

I was just stating an example. Always try to read and comprehend
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by BRATISLAVA: 11:21am On Dec 28, 2021
Farfalla:

I don't know about Nigeria but in many places, "fat" is used to describe an ugly somebody. A woman can have a very pretty face, but if she's fat, even the ugly, slender women will call her ugly. lipsrsealed

It's a term that's mostly used to body-shame rather than describe someone.

Do people really think fat people are ugly? Some of the most beautiful, fresh-skinned people (male and female) I've seen happen to be fat. There are some fat people that are so beautiful and proportional it makes one feel like getting fat too.

I think body-shaming would be calling someone obese, or using some other descriptions rather than the actual word. Eg. That man that can sink a warship.

What about skinny, slim, etc?
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Farfalla(f): 5:54pm On Dec 28, 2021
BRATISLAVA:

Do people really think fat people are ugly? Some of the most beautiful, fresh-skinned people (male and female) I've seen happen to be fat. There are some fat people that are so beautiful and proportional it makes one feel like getting fat too.

I think body-shaming would be calling someone obese, or using some other descriptions rather than the actual word. Eg. That man that can sink a warship.

What about skinny, slim, etc?

I don't think people are ugly/beautiful based on their sizes. Like you, I have seen very attractive people who happen to be big in size. Too many in fact.

I was only emphasizing that many catty people use the term "fat" when they want to body-shame big-bodied people from my observation. When they see those beautiful Xhosa, Zulu, Swazi and Tswana women with big, round thighs and small waists, they'll use terminologies to describe them and "fat" almost always never features there. "Fat" will only be used as an expression of disgust. A younger Omotola for instance was always described as sexy by her fans but the people who never liked her would say that she's hyped because a woman her size can neither be beautiful nor sexy.

Same applies to petite people (especially women). People call them "slim", "petite" or "slender" as a compliment but switch to "skinny" or "bony" when they want to body-shame them. At least in this part of the world ("Skinny" will be a compliment in the fashion industry and Hollywood though).

I have been both "orobo" and "lepa" and I can tell you that I always knew when someone was complimenting my size, my hips, my arse or indirectly insinuating that I should lose a few pounds or even gain a few pounds in certain areas.

Now I'm somewhere in between lepa and orobo and I don't even have the stamina to care anymore. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Farfalla(f): 6:04pm On Dec 28, 2021
1Sharon:

Fat really does make people look ugly...

I don't know what 'fat' is to you. Beyonce and Kim Kardashian are fat in Vietnam, Thailand and China but sexy in America. So I'm guessing they're "ugly" in Asia but hot in America. undecided

Where do you draw the line?

1 Like

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by BRATISLAVA: 6:08pm On Dec 28, 2021
Farfalla:

I don't think people are ugly/beautiful based on their sizes. Like you, I have seen very attractive people who happen to be big in size. Too many in fact.

I was only emphasizing that many catty people use the term "fat" when they want to body-shame big-bodied people from my observation. When they see those beautiful Xhosa, Zulu, Swazi and Tswana women with big, round thighs and small waists, they'll use terminologies to describe them and "fat" almost always never features there. "Fat" will only be used as an expression of disgust. A younger Omotola for instance was always described as sexy by her fans but the people who never liked her would say that she's hyped because a woman her size can neither be beautiful nor sexy.

Same applies to petite people (especially women). People call them "slim", "petite" or "slender" as a compliment but switch to "skinny" or "bony" when they want to body-shame them. At least in this part of the world ("Skinny" will be a compliment in the fashion industry and Hollywood though).

I have been both "orobo" and "lepa" and I can tell you that I always knew when someone was complimenting my size, my hips, my arse or indirectly insinuating that I should lose a few pounds or even gain a few pounds in certain areas.

Now I'm somewhere in between lepa and orobo and I don't even have the stamina to care anymore. cheesy

Spot on.
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by 1Sharon(f): 7:07pm On Dec 28, 2021
Farfalla:

I don't know what 'fat' is to you. Beyonce and Kim Kardashian are fat in Vietnam, Thailand and China but sexy in America. So I'm guessing they're "ugly" in Asia but hot in America. undecided

Where do you draw the line?

There are cultures all over the world that unanimously agree that an obese person is an obese person.
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Farfalla(f): 8:02pm On Dec 28, 2021
1Sharon:

There are cultures all over the world that unanimously agree that an obese person is an obese person.

I don't think that's the bone of contention.
You said in your quote that fat makes people ugly, hence my example of Beyonce being gross to the Chinese. Like you, they believe that people with rounder/bigger parts are uglier than the rest.

So, when do they get from just being large to being large and ugly? Is it when they get to Rikishi/Yokozuna large that they become ugly? Or Omotola large? Or big thighs Beyonce large? Or as long as they are bigger/rounder than you then it automatically means they're worse looking? At what stage does the ugliness really set in?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by 1Sharon(f): 5:09pm On Dec 30, 2021
Farfalla:

I don't think that's the bone of contention.
You said in your quote that fat makes people ugly, hence my example of Beyonce being gross to the Chinese. Like you, they believe that people with rounder/bigger parts are uglier than the rest.

So, when do they get from just being large to being large and ugly? Is it when they get to Rikishi/Yokozuna large that they become ugly? Or Omotola large? Or big thighs Beyonce large? Or as long as they are bigger/rounder than you then it automatically means they're worse looking? At what stage does the ugliness really set in?

Have you ever spoke to a Chinese person before or been to China??

They adore black celebrities, what are you talking about?

Beyonce and what not are not big in east Asians, they are THICK. Absolutely not the same as fat.

Fat is fat, deal with it.
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Farfalla(f): 9:01am On Dec 31, 2021
1Sharon:

Have you ever spoke to a Chinese person before or been to China??

They adore black celebrities, what are you talking about?

Beyonce and what not are not big in east Asians, they are THICK. Absolutely not the same as fat.

Yes. I have been to China (more than once) so automatically, I have spoken to Chinese people. Beyonce didn't feature in our conversations though.
It's common knowledge thickness of whatever kind is not embraced in the East, especially the far East countries. I read an article some years ago about some Chinese or Korean people wondering why Americans fuss over Beyonce whom they felt required to lose weight.

1Sharon:

Fat is fat, deal with it.

I also don't understand why you feel the need to tell me to deal with it. I'm not arguing against the existence of fat people, neither am I even struggling with my weight. I just asked you a simple question. When does the ugliness creep in on large people? Or simply asked, when do they stop being thick and start being fat?

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

''my Husband Emeka Okojie Is Trying To Kill Me'' - Nigerian Lady / "Wetin You Born" Why people always ask woman this question / Appeal To All: Feminism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.