Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,162 members, 7,818,535 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:12 PM

Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? (18304 Views)

Fundall.io Will Give You N500 For Everyone You Refer To Their Platform / "What Africans Refer To As Home Training Is Emotional Abuse" - Man / "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by NamelessOGBENI(m): 6:07pm On Dec 27, 2021
They said there's a gentleman rule to that, most importantly if it involves daughters of Eve.
Anyway, I've never been a gentleman, sweetheart.

Go hit the gym and stop waiting for the droolers and anti-body shaming geng to keep validating your fatness.
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Nchenches: 6:08pm On Dec 27, 2021
Yes. It's offensive anywhere in the world.
Bini people would politely say: e get body well well.
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by abimic(m): 6:08pm On Dec 27, 2021
I remember when i was discussing with a friend in the office, and a 'fat' lady came by, na so i yarn my guy say, this girl don fat o. He clear me say, if i talk am for her presence ehn, she go correct me instantly that it is chubby they call it, or plumpy, that she go even turn around for me to see her asset..na for there i choke.....Many fat ladies no like that word i guess.
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by JustforMen: 6:09pm On Dec 27, 2021
Hintona:
In a thread I created earlier, I referred to someone as fat and I was bashed.

Since when did it become a bad thing to refer to someone as fat in Nigeria?

If you use natural defects in people in a disparaging manner then it is wrong.
If you were fat, would you want someone to use that to insult you?
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by iLegendd(m): 6:09pm On Dec 27, 2021
CamusMidas:

Not the same, the resultant of one is easily avoidable while the other can start from as simple as birth.

Not the same, but similar effect. A poor man is easily insecure and defensive about his financial state. Call him a poor man and he won't like it — it's as if you're making fun of him. Seeing his rich classmates drive by makes him insecure let alone calling him "poor."

The same insecurity applies to most girls with flesh or guys that are skinny.

They're already judging themselves and feeling depressed. You hitting the nail on the head by calling them fat or skinny is like uncovering their insecurities, being insensitive, and making fun of them.

This insecurity was developed because of people making bad remarks about people of their sizes and stature.

Anyway, you won't really get my point, so let's just leave it at that for now.

Calling people by their insecurities can help them improve, but they'll go through depression first.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Noblewealth(m): 6:11pm On Dec 27, 2021
Fat is obsolete and no more acceptable as a compliment instead we use the word "present".
Eg: Debola looks so present recently..

It makes more sense than to use the word fat..
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:12pm On Dec 27, 2021
sageb:

Yes, it is offensive in present day language syntax
The word" fat " have gone obsolete and can no longer be used to describe a woman/man.
Fat can only be used to describe liquid in solid state. Fat when solid and oil when dissolved.
You can say " Hintona is a busty lady"
Fat is now obsolete in human description language.
Only for you and your woke legions
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by idu1(m): 6:12pm On Dec 27, 2021
Yea. it's an insult.
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:17pm On Dec 27, 2021
phemmyfour:
It's body shaming

You can say they are huge or plus size
Till those words to become "toxic" words and we are not allowed to speak again. All these woke People and their 1984 ways

1 Like

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by TemmyT002(m): 6:24pm On Dec 27, 2021
1Sharon:

Fat people would have us believe weight gain just happened to them for no reason.

Impossible
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by ahmedajadi(m): 6:32pm On Dec 27, 2021
Lalami3232:
I never knew it was bad/offensive until some weeks ago. I just say make I go catch small cruise for Facebook since my brain dey hot due to some rugged codes I dey write. I see one babe for one group wey dey complain about her size oooo, na I innocently ask her say "ARE YOU FAT?"
The next thing I get from Facebook na 30days ban ooo, I shock. From that day, I learn say asking a lady weather she fat or not is offensive. I thank God say no be for Europe I go talk am, maybe dem for deport me sef. But we learn everyday sha!!! That word dey offensive for abroad but I no sure say E dey bad for 9ja. Na even our 9ja babes go dey ask you say "I don fat abi?" grin

I don talkbam before and I go talk am again, "The day I go mistakenly born girl pikin, I go ******"
Lalami, you no know say God has a way of doing things ooo. E fit be say the girl wey you born na she go transform this country. Pikin na pikin ooo whether boy or girl.
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Ovis1302(m): 6:33pm On Dec 27, 2021
sageb:

Yes, it is offensive in present day language syntax
The word" fat " have gone obsolete and can no longer be used to describe a woman/man.
Fat can only be used to describe liquid in solid state. Fat when solid and oil when dissolved.
You can say " Hintona is a busty lady"
Fat is now obsolete in human description language.
If " Histona is a busty lady" , is her thighs and tummy busty too?
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Yankee101: 6:34pm On Dec 27, 2021
In any country

It's absolutely wrong

Unless they ask you to
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Benwallt(m): 6:41pm On Dec 27, 2021
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Na still fat make am big
1Sharon:

I heard a new one..."big breasted" grin
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by AsawanaDgreat: 6:46pm On Dec 27, 2021
APC regim fat person good name oo, infact fat na hailing
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Dec 27, 2021
iLegendd:

Not the same, but similar effect. A poor man is easily insecure and defensive about his financial state. Call him a poor man and he won't like it — it's as if you're making fun of him. Seeing his rich classmates drive by makes him insecure let alone calling him "poor."

The same insecurity applies to most girls with flesh or guys that are skinny.

They're already judging themselves and feeling depressed. You hitting the nail on the head by calling them fat or skinny is like uncovering their insecurities, being insensitive, and making fun of them.

This insecurity was developed because of people making bad remarks about people of their sizes and stature.

Anyway, you won't really get my point, so let's just leave it at that for now.

Calling people by their insecurities can help them improve, but they'll go through depression first.

undecided
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by NGArmyTerrorist: 6:54pm On Dec 27, 2021
Akwamkpuruamu:
Even to refer someone as a short man
Na trouble you dey fin.
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Babaken(m): 6:56pm On Dec 27, 2021
Benwallt:
If you want to make it sexy use "meat ball" and if you want to make it anyhow use "rotund"
people just making issues out of nothing
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by uuzba(m): 7:18pm On Dec 27, 2021
Nchenches:
Yes. It's offensive anywhere in the world.
Bini people would politely say: e get body well well.
Are we the ones that said they should eat and become fat?
Abeg. Fat is fat.

1 Like

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by omorttee4u(m): 7:25pm On Dec 27, 2021
A little bit chubby would have been fine, the word "fat" is an idiom for human.
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Countersam(m): 7:40pm On Dec 27, 2021
Hintona:

They will rather prefer to be called 'chubby'

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by rezzy: 7:55pm On Dec 27, 2021
Hintona:

Na so I hear too.
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Susily(m): 8:00pm On Dec 27, 2021
dontai:
Abegi, If you don't like it buy skipping rope, used it for 2 weeks. You will be amazed with your transformation. Fat na fat, tall na tall, slim na slim, old na old, young na young, what else?

Does skipping rope actually burn fat and reduce weight??
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Nmezor(f): 8:18pm On Dec 27, 2021
Kinda, plump is berra
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Sicilyjoe: 8:55pm On Dec 27, 2021
uuzba:

Are we the ones that said they should eat and become fat?
Abeg. Fat is fat.

Is not all about food but nature u maybe suprise that u eat more food than them

2 Likes

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Exceed15: 8:56pm On Dec 27, 2021
An average woman want to stay trimmed & shapely but when u use the word "fat" they get discouraged.
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Karleb(m): 9:44pm On Dec 27, 2021
Hintona:

No. It's not.
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Bahamas95(m): 9:48pm On Dec 27, 2021
Most Nigerians are so annoying, I don't give a damn about them. I say it as it is, I don't care what you think or feel.

The most annoying of them all is the religious ones. A neighbour was telling me that her child is strong and I was confused. It took me few seconds before I understood the message she was trying to pass. I asked "do you mean Sarah is sick"? Her countenance changed all of a sudden as if I said something abominable......I regret being a Nigerian/African.

1 Like

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by edoairways: 11:12pm On Dec 27, 2021
The righteous shall be fat
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by izzy4shizzy(m): 11:17pm On Dec 27, 2021
Sleekfingers:

And except bottles for your head one-day. Lots of people find that word offensive or simply body shaming.
Even calling someone who is not tall a dwarf or short , they find it very offensive.

Calling some a cripple is now offensive as well.

Short and fat na different things chief
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Farfalla(f): 11:33pm On Dec 27, 2021
Hintona:

I don't know about Nigeria but in many places, "fat" is used to describe an ugly somebody. A woman can have a very pretty face, but if she's fat, even the ugly, slender women will call her ugly. lipsrsealed

It's a term that's mostly used to body-shame rather than describe someone.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by 1Sharon(f): 3:14am On Dec 28, 2021
Farfalla:

I don't know about Nigeria but in many places, "fat" is used to describe an ugly somebody. A woman can have a very pretty face, but if she's fat, even the ugly, slender women will call her ugly. lipsrsealed

It's a term that's mostly used to body-shame rather than describe someone.

Fat really does make people look ugly...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Simple Ways To Show Courtesy / I Am Very Unhappy In My Marriage / Is This Selfishness Or Not

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.