Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,886 members, 7,817,611 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:27 PM

Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? (18298 Views)

Fundall.io Will Give You N500 For Everyone You Refer To Their Platform / "What Africans Refer To As Home Training Is Emotional Abuse" - Man / "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Danokoje14(m): 4:58pm On Dec 27, 2021
Damnnnn......Nigga....light up ma Jay.....

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Frank150: 4:58pm On Dec 27, 2021
Nothing wrong with that.. but plumpy sounds more refine

1 Like

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Legendoo: 4:59pm On Dec 27, 2021
All these woke people.

Yes , fatness is part of the useless body positivity nonesense.

Shame and reject fat lazy pigs

1 Like

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by SonofGod231: 4:59pm On Dec 27, 2021
If you see yourself as fat then you are fat,what anyone says doesn't matter really.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by FaithBrain1994(m): 4:59pm On Dec 27, 2021
Hope you'll be happy if one calls you pot belle??
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by advanceDNA: 4:59pm On Dec 27, 2021
Hintona:
In a thread I created earlier, I referred to someone as fat and I was bashed.

Since when did it become a bad thing to refer to someone as fat in Nigeria?

Is the person fat??
If yes.... show me the moniker let me too call the person fat...

1 Like

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Laegbe05: 5:00pm On Dec 27, 2021
Fat people like to hide under the umbrella of "chubby", nothing like that. Fat is Fat, so any Nigerian wey take offense in "you're fat" needs to check him/herself

Na opportunity to take work on yourself, see our lovely sister eniola badmus, although she still fat o, but at least she dey work on herself

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Dec 27, 2021
Should I call you slim when you're fat.? undecided

3 Likes

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:01pm On Dec 27, 2021
iLegendd:

Can you remember the day someone called you poor. How did you feel?

Call a poor Nigerian "poor man/woman" and watch how he/she gets angry. That's exactly how people with extra flesh feel.
Not the same, the resultant of one is easily avoidable while the other can start from as simple as birth.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by phemmyfour: 5:02pm On Dec 27, 2021
Hintona:

It's body shaming

You can say they are huge or plus size

1 Like

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Dec 27, 2021
Person wey fat, Fat. If e pain am make go Gym.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Sparkle777(f): 5:04pm On Dec 27, 2021
It even sounds offensive to call ppl based on how they look to you. Who would like to be called, that poor man, the guy that smells like ogiri, the lady with plenty pimples, that short man, that bow legged papa, the ugly boy, that man with crooked teeth, that dirty woman, onye ofe mmanu, nyamiri, ndi ugwu, onye nama. Believe me I can go on and on. Even most of you that giddily call ppl fat, ugly, smelly etc, if you take a honest look at yourself, am sure there are parts of you, you just feel inferior to. Would u want ppl to call you for that??
Bottom line, let's be nice.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by rajiedreez: 5:04pm On Dec 27, 2021
Fat for naija na enjoyment

2 Likes

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Skillsnigeria: 5:06pm On Dec 27, 2021
Hmmm
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by rajiedreez: 5:06pm On Dec 27, 2021
Sparkle777:
It even sounds offensive to call ppl based on how they look to you. Who would like to be called, that poor man, the guy that smells like ogiri, the lady with plenty pimples, that short man, that bow legged papa, the ugly boy, that man with crooked teeth, that dirty woman, onye ofe mmanu, nyamiri, ndi ugwu, onye nama. Believe me I can go on and on. Even most of you that giddily call ppl fat, ugly, smelly etc, if you take a honest look at yourself, am sure there are parts of you, you just feel inferior to. Would u want ppl to call you for that??
so its an offense also to say that someone is tall abi

1 Like

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by LZAA: 5:07pm On Dec 27, 2021
With the way buhari dey rule....
Even fat people don slim grin grin grin grin
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by advanceDNA: 5:07pm On Dec 27, 2021
phemmyfour:
It's body shaming

So what’s the difference??
He’s huge
She’s plus size
The guy plenty...

All na fat

1 Like

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by pman096(m): 5:07pm On Dec 27, 2021
sageb:

Yes, it is offensive in present day language syntax
The word" fat " have gone obsolete and can no longer be used to describe a woman/man.
Fat can only be used to describe liquid in solid state. Fat when solid and oil when dissolved.
You can say " Hintona is a busty lady"
Fat is now obsolete in human description language.
Hintona is a busty lady?...and to a guy what would you say?..y'all be complicating English..Fat na fat jhoor
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by rajiedreez: 5:09pm On Dec 27, 2021
sageb:

The word" fat " have gone obsolete and can no longer be used to describe a woman/man.
Fat can only be used to describe liquid in solid state. Fat when solid and oil when dissolved.
what about think, shot and tall.

In naija I believe people are much more offended if you say that they are thin
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by MNDY(m): 5:09pm On Dec 27, 2021
One at my office is super fat people tell it to her face too often she is getting tired and working on it but unserious at it. Na me wey resume at the office newly posted she go always wan dey use style dey insult me with her own vex unto say I look fit. Wetin concern me? She is jealous of me even when I no be her fellow female.
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by lexy2014: 5:09pm On Dec 27, 2021
ImoleNaija:
Perhaps the way you mentioned it sounded or looked offensive. Many people just find pleasure in body-shaming others. Being fat or skinny does not mean someone eats too much or doesn't eat at all. Nature has built us differently.

The truth is that, in most cases, it takes lots of money (for food, exercise & some recommended drugs) to have that figure that many people want. That's why you see the rich & the celebrities going from one surgery to another - for public taste.

so what word can be used instead of fat?

1 Like

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by lexy2014: 5:11pm On Dec 27, 2021
sageb:

why is fat offensive and busty acceptable?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by lexy2014: 5:12pm On Dec 27, 2021
phemmyfour:
It's body shaming

how is huge and plus size not body shaming?

1 Like

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by bezimo(m): 5:13pm On Dec 27, 2021
If you refer to a white girl as fat..you won't like the outcome oh

3 Likes

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by ussv: 5:13pm On Dec 27, 2021
It`s offensive to refer to people all over the world as fat not just only in Nigeria. You can simply use the word "big".

1 Like

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by lexy2014: 5:14pm On Dec 27, 2021
Sparkle777:

so what words should be used to address a fat person, alady with pimples, the ugly boy, the man with crooked teeth etc?
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by LofiLogic: 5:15pm On Dec 27, 2021
sageb:

Where d Bleep did this nigga fall from
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Pootle: 5:16pm On Dec 27, 2021
yes that body shaming
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by kushme: 5:17pm On Dec 27, 2021
Hintona:

Deep down, It is all about society and sexual relevance. Fat fvckz want acceptance too..

Their SMV is way too low. I rather masturbate all through my life than have a fat fvck as a wife. Though, I would fvck though, if no average to slim pussy is available.

Don't be a fat fvck, that's all I ma say for now.

We can be friends/family and all that cos they are humans and many are way better than me.

The only problem I have is they shouldn't try so hard to be sexy cos sexy ain't their thang.

I dey wait for who go bash me. Stupid fvcks
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by MufasaLion: 5:18pm On Dec 27, 2021
lkillbrokehoes:
It's fat not far kiddo, I've warned you severally to face your studies.

Brutal, bro!

grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by bluefilm: 5:18pm On Dec 27, 2021
EddyNumerouno:
'wokeness' will not allow people to say the truth.
Na fat you fat, you no kill person

Nah.

I don't think the WOKENESS madness has really entered Naija.
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by lexy2014: 5:19pm On Dec 27, 2021
ImoleNaija:
Perhaps the way you mentioned it sounded or looked offensive. Many people just find pleasure in body-shaming others. Being fat or skinny does not mean someone eats too much or doesn't eat at all. Nature has built us differently.

The truth is that, in most cases, it takes lots of money (for food, exercise & some recommended drugs) to have that figure that many people want. That's why you see the rich & the celebrities going from one surgery to another - for public taste. And you definitely don't expect someone who struggles to put food on his/her table to start living on drugs or some special diets.

Is there anyone christened fat?

what word can be used instead of fat?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Adeniji Taiwo Abigeal: Missing Girl (Photo) / Simple Ways To Show Courtesy / I Am Very Unhappy In My Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.