Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,366 members, 7,819,315 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:16 PM

Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos (32031 Views)

2023: I’ve Seen The Next President Of Nigeria – Babangida / Imoh Williams, LGA Chairman Suspended Over Assault On Man Who Called Him Out / Akan Imoh, 27-Year-Old Contesting For Lagos State House Of Assembly. Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Kobojunkie: 6:45am On Dec 31, 2021
FreeIgboho:
Below are the New York homeless shelters we talking about. It comes with three meals a day and all sorts of services and benefits. Compare to that shack you’ll build.
What shack? undecided

The idea of homing the homeless isn't wrong though. I mean shelters are OK but that idea needs to be improved on so as to better help homeless people rejoin society instead. undecided
Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by segtech68: 6:45am On Dec 31, 2021
everything you said is very accurate except the making it big part. you can make it in nigeria , but it won't be big, the network of the richest man in africa is just some regular musicians network in usa, so what do you mean by big, if you mean comfortably rich then i would say you are right on that part. mind you , i'm not trying to argue with you sir.

rentAcock:
Let's call a spade a spade. This is a silly comparison. Those homeless people in the U.S are still far better than the homeless people in Nigeria. They have homeless shelters for them, however so many of them refuse to seek refuge at the homeless shelters due to a high rate of theft and physical abuse by the residents. Also, many of them are homeless due to drug abuse and mental health issues, even when offered a place to stay, they still end up on the streets. The homeless people over there also have access to social workers who can set them up with food vouchers, health insurance, job training etc but Nigeria doesn't have that. Notwithstanding, as a Nigerian, Nigeria remains the best place to make it big in this life. Despite the numerous challenges we face, there's no place like home and it is left for us to develop it.
Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Hassanmaye(m): 6:48am On Dec 31, 2021
Okonandmary:
This is true.

Jesu!
Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by ariesbull: 6:59am On Dec 31, 2021
This is homelessness in USA

2 Likes

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by lkillbrokehoes: 7:04am On Dec 31, 2021
dasparrow:

You are lying! I don't know what is wrong with some of you Nigerians. America is my second home. Lived in U.S longer than I ever lived in Nigeria or in Western Europe where I was born. There are more homeless people than there are homeless shelters. I should know because I used to volunteer in shelters in the United States. And no, the shelters don't take all homeless people in or help the homeless with jobs, health insurance, etc.

There are so many Americans who are not homeless and have no health insurance coverage how much more the homeless.

Also, not all homeless people are drug addicts or people with mental health issues. Some are regular folks who lost their jobs, could no longer make rent and found themselves on the street. Most Americans are only 1 paycheck away from ending up on the street.

REAL Americans tell the truth about their country America unlike African migrants like you who stay hyping other people's country more than your own. America is on a downward spiral. Americans know this and talk about it all the time but African migrants like you will come online to lie about a country that you don't even originally come from because many of you are so thirsty for validation from Nigerians in Nigeria and want Nigerians in Nigeria to worship your azz all because you reside in America.

So many Americans are running away from America and migrating to countries in South and Central America, Asia, Australia and to Africa. Yes, you heard me, AFRICA!

Keep hyping America and don't go and fix your homeland. As a Black African, you will always be looked down upon no matter where you live on earth until you develop your homeland. America is not your ancestral land. Go and develop your ancestral land in Nigeria Africa.
Nothing but the truth, but Nigerians will never listen, the US is not what they think it is.

4 Likes

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Floreate: 7:05am On Dec 31, 2021
Being homeless in New York is 10times better than being homeless in Lagos. It's also better than having a shanty in Lagos

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Nobody: 7:12am On Dec 31, 2021
rentAcock:
Let's call a spade a spade. This is a silly comparison. Those homeless people in the U.S are still far better than the homeless people in Nigeria. They have homeless shelters for them, however so many of them refuse to seek refuge at the homeless shelters due to a high rate of theft and physical abuse by the residents. Also, many of them are homeless due to drug abuse and mental health issues, even when offered a place to stay, they still end up on the streets. The homeless people over there also have access to social workers who can set them up with food vouchers, health insurance, job training etc but Nigeria doesn't have that. Notwithstanding, as a Nigerian, Nigeria remains the best place to make it big in this life. Despite the numerous challenges we face, there's no place like home and it is left for us to develop it.

Don't mind the attention seeker
Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by RodgersAkpafu: 7:17am On Dec 31, 2021
Adakintroy:

But most Nigerians will despite the non availability of this ingredients. But we not talking middue class. We talking below poverty or poverty lines and succeding.
Nigeria has more poor people than almost any country on earth
We have more poor people than the population of most countries of the world
Only india have more people in number that are in such dire poverty

It has been like that
It will remain like that
As long as the prevailing conditions persist.
Social mobility is very difficult
The middle class in Nigeria is almost non existent
Sometimes we fool ourselves because we are in upscale places in say Lagos or Abj or somewhere
And think that's how the country is

After a few trips to the north
I shook my head for this country
But that does not mean "making it " is impossible sha
I'm just saying most of the populace wont

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by aycapri(m): 7:18am On Dec 31, 2021
Kobojunkie:
But it is yet another lie to delude folks into doing nothing about the 24 million homeless people right there in Nigeria. undecided
hmm, you just made a point. So, they would use the homeless people in New York to cite examples which is not possible because the homeless people in US has access to some social benefits an average Nigerian see as something special.

1 Like

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by MartinsD12(m): 7:19am On Dec 31, 2021

1 Like

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by RodgersAkpafu: 7:22am On Dec 31, 2021
louqas:

Pako is far better than living in a cardboard box.... you forgot that NY is a very big city.....and expensive too....those homeless couldnt afford the rent and utilities. there are lots of empty homes also that people couldnt pay the rent....theres poverty everywhere. Lots of American are living on debts to battle their poverty....that was evident during pandemic....you see someone driving 2020 toyota (on loan) queuing for food packs.....can never happen in Nigeria.....
Can never happen in Nigeria ?
Lmao
You never see anything ooo
The hunger that shook Nigeria during the pandemic eh
It was unmatched
Eventually when the palliative warehouses were exposed
What happened ?
That's right

I get it
Tbe USA is not all sunshine and rainbows
Person fit fall on bad times see pepper there

But you see Nigeria, or even most of Sub Saharan Africa
The level of suffering is on another level.
I'll always tell those as the lower rung of the ladder to try the USA and see if they have the chance to

The goodies of Nigeria is beyond reach for most Nigerians
Just that those who want to jaa should have realistic expectations

1 Like

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by timesup234: 7:23am On Dec 31, 2021
Abfinest007:
I perfer living homeless abroad than Nigeria .
You are a fool, a big born fool

1 Like

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by RodgersAkpafu: 7:23am On Dec 31, 2021
AndikanEssien:

You're just ignorant
Well
Thats how frustrated many are with the system

1 Like

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by louqas: 7:27am On Dec 31, 2021
RodgersAkpafu:

Can never happen in Nigeria ?
Lmao
You never see anything ooo
The hunger that shook Nigeria during the pandemic eh
It was unmatched

Eventually when the palliative warehouses were exposed
What happened ?
That's right

I get it
Tbe USA is not all sunshine and rainbows
Person fit fall on bad times see pepper there

But you see Nigeria, or even most of Sub Saharan Africa
The level of suffering is on another level.
I'll always tell those as the lower rung of the ladder to try the USA and see if they have the chance to

The goodies of Nigeria is beyond reach for most Nigerians
Just that those who want to jaa should have realistic expectations

You can never see a man that has 2020 toyota in Nigeria queue up for food stamp....never
The reason is simple....the american got the car on loan.... the nigerian most likely paid for it..such a person is most times buoyant enough not to need a food stamp.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Broveens42(m): 7:29am On Dec 31, 2021
Being homeless is alien to Igbo Nation ...

years ago, I read about how former Imo governor ohakim, through his urban renewal project, rendered road vendors stranded in Owerri. Guess what? Most imolites relocated to their beautiful homes in the village.. set up better stores for themselves too, especially at market areas.
Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Abfinest007(m): 7:31am On Dec 31, 2021
timesup234:
You are a fool, a big born fool
thank u Mr sense . Shack is considered homeless in abroad not homeless like homeless
Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Abfinest007(m): 7:33am On Dec 31, 2021
AndikanEssien:

You're just ignorant
shack is considered homeless in abroad not like 9ja .not homeless like homeless
Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Abfinest007(m): 7:34am On Dec 31, 2021
BigDawsNet:

Can you survive -12C overnight abroad? grin
shack is considered homeless in abroad not like 9ja .not homeless like homeless
Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by zomby(m): 7:34am On Dec 31, 2021
EBMedia:

https://igberetvnews.com/1410791/ive-seen-homeless-people-new-york-lagos-filmmaker-imoh-umoren/

First, the cause of homelessness in NY is mostly because of drug abuse and mental illness
Second, homeless folks in NY have the choice to check into various shelters around the city area
Finally, it makes absolutely no sense to attempt to compare anything in Nigeria to anything in the United States of America; please do not give our useless leaders a free pass.

Absolutely nothing in Nigeria makes sense.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by timesup234: 7:35am On Dec 31, 2021
Na thread like this I take pursue kroger and Beautyaddy pass house. I chased them like roaches and flog sense enter their brain. Since then nobody have heard from them. Them won come form Americana for nairaland make people dey worship them i pursue nonsense commot social media space. in their small, stupid and primitive sense they thought everybody for Nigeria na villager. I pursue the mugus pass white house enter colombia. Better flog i give them to reset their dumb brains. Since then na yes sir yes sir timesup. I pursue yeye people pass Venezuela
Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Abfinest007(m): 7:35am On Dec 31, 2021
IPIGSRSHALLOW:

Must have a very very low self esteem.
shack is considered homeless in abroad not like 9ja .not homeless like homeless.mr classic thank u
Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by phemmyfour: 7:36am On Dec 31, 2021
DaddyRochie1642:
You'll still see one Nairalander that'll soon run in here with Full Speed and start arguing
It's better to be homeless over there than living in Nigeria hell
Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Kabaz2: 7:38am On Dec 31, 2021
Did you notice how their homeless people looked?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by zomby(m): 7:38am On Dec 31, 2021
louqas:

You can never see a man that has 2020 toyota in Nigeria queue up for food stamp....never
The reason is simple....the american got the car on loan.... the nigerian most likely paid for it..such a person is most times buoyant enough not to need a food stamp.

This is so because the system in America works, while we are yet to discover a system in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Kaybex007(m): 7:40am On Dec 31, 2021
I don't know much about America but I've always told people that with the conversation I've had with few black Americans and news I've read, if only Africa was a developed continent, so many black Americans will trace their root and come back. Traveling to Abroad for greener pasture could be compared to the fame, wealth in the World music industry, the percentage of those who make it to the top in the music industry is not up to 1% compared to those who are still looking up to God. What I will say is, all countries are good and bad, proper planning is what you need before you leave so that you don't end up being disappointed. A guy once asked me if a certain country was okay to relocate to and I told him every country in the world is good for relocation, it only depends on what your plans are. I asked him if he even knows that the war ravaging countries are even a good flourishing country for some people to relocate, and it is because they go there to sell ammunition, child trafficking, necrotic deals and other bad stuffs. I'm not saying Nigerians should travel or not but first and foremost make sure you have an 80%-90% idea about where you are going and also have a concrete planning like julius berger construction. Peace be unto everyone of us.

5 Likes

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Hassanmaye(m): 7:40am On Dec 31, 2021
Saao:
Lol that guy said nonsense. 30% of lagosians are homeless.
No please stop abusing city of excellence
Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by Hassanmaye(m): 7:41am On Dec 31, 2021
ThatFairGuy1:
That's to tell, the deed is everywhere.

STOP BADMOUTHING NIGERIA you unpatriotic lot
Lol
Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by GetMeRight: 7:42am On Dec 31, 2021
Abfinest007:

Says someone who has never worked in his life, someone who is a being fed. Ignorance is the one talking here. You don't know the value of what you have until you lost it, ask abroad returnees

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by rufai1440: 7:43am On Dec 31, 2021
Abfinest007:
May God Almighty accept your prayer.

3 Likes

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by christellaozo(m): 7:44am On Dec 31, 2021
I prefer to be homeless in abroad than to be homeless in naija. Over there in abroad, they've got structured system to care for the needy and homeless at no cost. They even have a programme well regulated for the safety of the poor and homeless. Most reason why these white people chose to be homeless couod be as a result of harddrugs, hard life and street life.

In naija, we've got well educated and easy minded people who are are homeless. The government don't even know your name talkemore of caring nor providing for your need.

So please nobody should compare naija and abroad o.

This country is so bleeped with corruption.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by timesup234: 7:44am On Dec 31, 2021
ModestGal:

Keep decieving yourself
Anyone who is homeless in Canada (I live in Canada) has either chosen to be homeless, working on some great idea, struggling for the moment, drug addicts, with mental illness, has criminal charges.
If an immigrant can have a home, then, no reason why someone brought up in the system would be homeless. Also,most homeless people are homeless just for a while. But people in Nigeria, will start their lives as homeless and end it as homeless. Comparing Nigeria to the Western world is like comparing ant to an elephant. And yes,, there are more opportunities in the Western world than in Nigeria. Supports right and left. Stop decieving people, you are vexing me

There is credit card, which means you can borrow for a while, and their are houses of $450,shared apartments,etc. If you work in AA factory, anyone should be able to make that in a month to keep himself warm in a home.
You can rent room together with your friend just like in Nigeria. And these western worldss have immigrants from all over the world that could also lead to lots of people being homeless, but most of these people would be homeless for a while till things get better.
And also,, no mosquitoes,so if they are homeless,at least no mosquito to disturb their sleep
Shut up your smelling mouth. Nobody choose to be homeless. Canada is an economic disaster only fit for monkeys to dwell which makes you a big donkey. Make ogun destroy all of una. Slaves!

2 Likes

Re: Imoh Umoren: "I’ve Seen More Homeless People In New York Than In Lagos by GetMeRight: 7:44am On Dec 31, 2021
phemmyfour:
It's better to be homeless over there than living in Nigeria hell

You don't know what you are talking about. In winter, many died as a result of extreme cold and no one misses them. I'm sure that you don't want your end to be like that

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Osun Governorship: Supreme Court Names Five-man Panel, Fixes Date For Hearing / Soldiers Gun Down Boko Haram Member While Fleeing In A Gun Truck. Photos / "Re-Arrest Kanu, Face Consequences" - Militants Tell FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.